Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

There are an amazing number of Simic Flash players who have allowed me to resolve Domri without realizing all my creatures resolve now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Time posted:

Play gruul aggro with 4 pelt collectors as your only 1 drop and don’t lose a single game in the cascade event

Exhibit A in playing Gruul:

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I am currently 4-2 in the challenge running Gruul. First loss was to a WB deck that felt like a hard counter to me, running tons of removal and reanimating Plaguecrafter. Then I lost to Esper control after drawing 7 and 10 lands in games 1 and 3.

Taking a break and will see if I can win streak to 8 (unlikely).

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I was able to update the game and log in, so give it another try.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

There will definitely be an expensive gold event that unlocks Theros basics.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

First Sealed game, OP has Dream Trawler and Elspeth. :shepspends:

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

odinson posted:

Have any of you guys tried or seen any good Grixis decks with or without Lazav since TBD?

Here is a list I played with. When it works, it works, but it’s Grixis so YMMV. I honestly think Ashiok is really good but with all the red decks this list needs changes.

Deck
3 Lazav, the Multifarious (GRN) 184
3 Thief of Sanity (GRN) 205
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
3 Steam Vents (GRN) 257
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Bedevil (RNA) 157
4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
2 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
3 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God (WAR) 207
4 Tyrant's Scorn (WAR) 225
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Muse (THB) 208
3 Atris, Oracle of Half-Truths (THB) 209
4 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger (THB) 221
4 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245
4 Temple of Malice (THB) 247
1 Island (THB) 281
3 Swamp (THB) 283
1 Mountain (THB) 285

Sideboard
2 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
3 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
2 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
1 Bedevil (RNA) 157
1 Enter the God-Eternals (WAR) 196
2 Aether Gust (M20) 42
2 Duress (M19) 94
2 Mystical Dispute (ELD) 58

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Drewjitsu posted:

Aside from little to no way to deal with berserker out of the board, I thought that mono-w aggro with all the lifegain would be miserable for red.

Aside from mono red, mono white (from what I played on ladder) has terrible to mediocre match ups for the rest of the field.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

DO NOT REDEEM THE 1ST PLACE TROPHY CODE. It is disappearing after redemption and who knows how long it will take to fix.

Too late for me. Also:

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Shitshow posted:

If I play in the Historic Event, will my card rewards be from historic sets, the current standard, or both?

I seem to only ever get rewards from Historic sets.

Speaking of Historic, I was just playing and someone played a SoI card against me that wasn't in the first Historic Anthology. Anyone know when this was added and are there other cards like it?

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Time posted:

Historic is a better format than standard

:hmmyes:

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

axeil posted:

Whoa, this is a big change. Looks like Platinum is where everyone should aim to get now.

This is very welcome as Gold has always felt like a slog to me.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

No idea what to cut. Any ideas? No one draft white apparently.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

i'm not cutting anything until you put that 4th pacifism in

also chittering harvester is probably the worst it could be here

No I put it in after realizing I'm dumb and didn't read Lurrus either.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I think this is correct, but I am not 100% sure on some choices. Is Mystic Subdual or Convolute any good? Also lol at getting passed 2 Blood Curdle and Heartless Act.

Edit: Also Leech or Pteron? Leech feels slow and two Pterons feel like good finishers.

Yoked fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 18, 2020

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Any idea why I am getting paired against someone in Mythic when playing draft when I'm in loving Silver?

I know the game doesn't want you to hang in matchmaking, but it's a real feel bad when I am still learning the set.

(I'm not owned I'm not owned)

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

I think some of the events use swiss style pairing. That is you are paired against someone with the same number of wins and losses in the current event.

This makes sense for the Bo3 drafts since they are not on the ladder. For ladder drafts (which the new player draft Bo1 falls into), there shouldn't be pairings between Silver/Bronze to Mythic unless no one is playing (maybe that is the case for Sunday at 9AM PT).

Also I have played against the Bant Gyruda deck and holy moly does it goes off consistently. Basically it feels like there is no way to interact with it unless you are playing counterspells (as someone pointed out in the thread before I think). It also seems hard to get under it since you can basically go turn 3 Umori into turn 4 Gyruda.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I found this of MTGGoldfish and it is pretty fun if anyone is looking for a non-Jeskai Fires deck:

Companion
1 Kaheera, the Orphanguard (IKO) 224

Deck
4 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
4 Cavalier of Flame (M20) 125
3 Gemrazer (IKO) 155
3 Quartzwood Crasher (IKO) 201
3 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
4 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Vivien, Monsters' Advocate (IKO) 175
1 Embercleave (ELD) 120
3 Fire Prophecy (IKO) 116
4 Fires of Invention (ELD) 125
2 Bonders' Enclave (IKO) 245
9 Forest (IKO) 274
2 Ketria Triome (IKO) 250
5 Mountain (IKO) 271
3 Rugged Highlands (M20) 250
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
4 Temple of Abandon (THB) 244

Sideboard
1 Chandra, Awakened Inferno (M20) 127
1 Cindervines (RNA) 161
2 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
4 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
1 Fry (M20) 140
3 Grafdigger's Cage (M20) 227
1 Kaheera, the Orphanguard (IKO) 224
1 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
1 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Eej posted:

Someone finally found the Mutate deck

https://twitter.com/0fe1ia/status/1253623347604316163

It owns! Even harder than the Cycling deck, shame about the WCs though.

Okay I was wondering where this deck came from yesterday. I was facing it a bunch in Gold running RG Fires deck. I managed to squeak out all wins against it, but the games were all pretty close and grindy.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

E: on a different note, does anyone have any spicy Quartzwood Crasher brews? I'm intrigued by that card, it looks like it should be amazing but it's so expensive I feel like it's gonna be tough get down at a relevant time.

See one of my previous posts with a RG Fires deck running Quartzwood Crasher. It’s been a pretty fun deck and kills people out of nowhere when they don’t know the game plan of the deck.

Aether Gust can be an obvious problem but I have only had trouble against Izzet decks that use it to stall you while they beat you down with that Drake and Phoenix.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

th3t00t posted:

Just lost to this RG version of fires as jeskai fires. The RG versions seems tuned to crush jeskai fires head to head, but the RG version seems like it would auto lose to any deck running counter magic, and especially weak to flash decks, which jeskai can handle, especially after side board.

I am 12-3 on the ladder with the deck currently. It does feel well positioned against a lot of the greedy decks going around and I have managed to go 2-1 against Simic Flash, but I think I have gotten lucky on at least one of those.

Also, it looks like someone is piloting in the CFB MagicFest to Top 8 this weekend, so it may have potential.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Well this last draft was a surprise. I started off 0-2, changed the deck and then rattled off 7 wins in a row. First time I drafted Simic Mutate and it was quite a bit of fun just stomping with monsters and felt like you generate quite a bit of tempo with it.

I started off the draft feeling I could easily splash a 3rd color. I know Cubwarden is great, but it didn't feel like reason enough to splash (and would be hard to Mutate with WW as a splash). The small red splash ended up working well with the Fertilid and Greathorn.

Deck: https://www.17lands.com/deck/e72b343197e84b61bcbebb9873c3ee4a/3

Draft: https://www.17lands.com/draft/e72b343197e84b61bcbebb9873c3ee4a

Also I have now gone from 2 or less wins in Premier to 5 or more consistently in bot drafts, so I may have developed a crutch in drafting...

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

It feels like WotC want Goblins to be a deck in Historic but won’t give us Goblin Piledriver.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I guess let's see what happens with this pile:

Wondering if 24 lands is sufficient?

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I have now faced Vivien in three straight matches in draft. Not a very fun card to play against with so little planeswalker removal.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

No way I’ll be paying that many gems for Bo1 play.

I plan to jam Historic starting this week until M21 is released and hopefully the Standard meta is no longer trash (it will be with four Teferis).

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Did anyone else have to download nearly 2GB? Is this for card art (I see on Twitch there are no animations)?

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I tried playing that Obosh Gruul deck and went 0-5. Then I switched to an Esper Hero deck with General Kudro and managed to do 5-2 or something so far. Deck has been fun but I haven’t run into the buzzsaw of FoD yet.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I can see Field of the Dead or something in Lukka being banned before Nexus.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Crokeyz was playing Winota on stream in top 50 Mythic and didn’t lose a game so it might be busted.

I think there might be a control deck out there that could counter it but also that deck probably folds to FoD or Nexus so maybe not a viable one.

Edit: my anecdotal evidence with Winota is it taking me through Platinum to Diamond and only losing one match to Lurrus RDW.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

So long live Gruul and Winota in Historic and Cat Oven in Standard?

Now that Fires is gone I guess more midrange piles will show up, hopefully with Mutate mechanics.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Why they didn't ban Claim the Firstborn or loving Witch's Oven in this Historic shake up event is beyond me.

Edit: I just want to play General Kudro and turn some dudes sideways.

Yoked fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Jun 6, 2020

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

My hope of putting Jumpstart in Historic is planting Goblin Lackey and Goblin Piledriver so I can jam Gobbos for eternity.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

How is WotC going to pull gold out of the economy though?

I went 6-2 in my cube draft. It's fun, but I am going to save my gold for M21 drafts.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

WotC are cowards. Give us Reanimate and Exhume and then ban them when they are proven OP in Historic!!

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i said this in the other magic thread but i'd really rather have 20 cards that i can actually play with instead of 20 cards that would come (either basically or literally) pre-banned

we don't need to play with t2 ulamog for weeks to know it'd be a lovely experience when these are cards people have played with in various formats since they came out

There are some clean answers to a turn 2 Ulamog (but not Agent of Treachery, gently caress that card). There are also no cards like Buried Alive that can guarantee you get a good reanimate target right away.

I think it could have been at least interesting and you get WC refunds if something is banned. Of course WotC would probably suspend it to get around that...

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Funkdreamer posted:

Time to roll them bones again!

Tower is a cool inclusion in Historic. Stitcher’s supplier is an obvious target but does anyone have others that are good when they die?

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Gruul is the most powerful aggro deck in Historic right now. Questing Beast is the best thing to be casting on the top end with Teferi, FoD and Nexus in the format.

Mardu Humans is a fun deck but my record on the ladder has been 50% steady no matter the composition so probably not great for Historic Challenge.

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

JakeP posted:

Would there be any value in subbing out one of the kitesails on the sideboard for Umori?

Umori probably won't do much except be a 4/5 body since you are looking to cast it when you're out of other cards. It may also be difficult with that manabase considering six lands would be specific toward Humans, but not entirely sure.

I have a similar Human Knights deck (the sideboard is probably not great):

Deck
4 Ancient Ziggurat
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
4 Unclaimed Territory
3 Benalish Marshal
4 Dauntless Bodyguard
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Blood Crypt
4 Godless Shrine
4 Skyknight Vanguard
4 Venerable Knight
4 Worthy Knight
4 Fervent Champion
4 Inspiring Veteran
4 Stormfist Crusader
4 General Kudro of Drannith
2 Plains

Sideboard
1 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Kitesail Freebooter
3 Dire Fleet Daredevil
3 Giant Killer
2 Glass Casket
3 Embereth Shieldbreaker

It has been fine, but that guy had to get pretty lucky to run 7-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I have a 70% win rate with Gruul against non Gruul decks in Bo3 and I’m bad at Magic so it’s pretty good in Historic.