Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Kashuno posted:

That is a really busy card. I wonder how it works because I'm kinda confused on how I'm supposed to read it

Yeah, what is that Welcome Home mechanic?

Oh, itís just an activated ability theyíre calling welcome home. Is that any different than a standard ability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

it seems like it'd work like a split card

Yeah, agreed- the layout of the card preyed upon my dumbness

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Eej posted:

Hope there's a Food Hoser that just eats all the food on the battlefield and turns it into +1/+1 counters on itself

I got you

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Yay new set!

I am loving this art, too

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

mmkay posted:

I guess Garruk is back as a planeswalker.

For the preorder if you don't have access to MTGA:

This seems really powerful, am I under thinking this?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I think my favorite is the Savage Hunter deck. Lots of good removal, lots of good synergy with the sacrifices. I'm 4-0 with it and 2-6 with the rest of the decks combined.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Arglebargle III posted:

Eldrain decks are bad, whoever draws removal first wins.

After a bunch more play this seems accurate.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

zoux posted:

In the days of early beta, when we first learned that we would be forbidden from turning our cards into Dust to craft new cards with, we were afraid. But Wizards assured us that keeping cards forever was an important part of the game. We would want Collections, they Promised. We asked, what about rotation? They didn't have an answer. Instead, they wiped their slate clean and declared it was time for Open Beta, buying themselves a year to think.

And now that year is over and we finally have their answer to the question of rotation: Historic. Yes, we said. A place to play with our entire Collections. The Collections you said we must have. So how will it work?

It will be more expensive, they said. To discourage you from playing it over Standard, they said. But what about our Collections, we cried? Where shall we use them if no one can afford Historic?

And Wizards was silent, because they knew they were breaking their Promise. Hoping we would not remember that they Promised our cards would hold Value and we would not want to turn them to Dust. Hoping we would not realize that this means that the New Cards they are offering us are ultimately worthless as well. Hoping we would not notice that Arena as a whole is worth nothing without the Promise of a need for Collections. Hoping that the new format will die a quiet death in its cradle, smothered by the weight of its costs, and with no one to mourn it.

Wizards, stop this. You cannot teach us the meaning of Value in your game and then fool us into believing that our cards will hold Value with nowhere to play them.

If you won't give us Dust, give us a Living Format. One that people can play not just today, but that can attract new followers in two years or five years or twenty. One with sustainable costs and a thriving playerbase.

Source your quotes, John Galt

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

CapnAndy posted:

I have been trying to make a Wolf tribal deck work for the last two expansions and am really hoping someone smarter than me can crack it with the new ToE stuff. It should work!

I had okay luck with my Tolmvir deck but yeah, gonna sic big bad wolves on everybody hopefully

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Huxley posted:

This event is odd.

Just give us 100 xp per win you weirdos.

Yep. This is loving excruciating with the loving roping.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

GrandpaPants posted:

The 200 xp thing triggers my ocd pretty fiercely. And I don't even need the xp.

Yeah, once I realized I was good to hit 100 it still took a me a second to go ďoh poo poo, I donít need thisĒ

FWIW Azorius Flyers got me a solid ~70% win rate

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Bust Rodd posted:

Because he blinks Stoneforge Mystic.

Also the flavor of the handsome prince taking your best creature to gently caress for a second and then coming back to the battlefield real real quick is fuckin aces.

I am loving all in on the flavor of this set. All the art is wonderful and the whimsy is just everywhere.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Does someone have a decklist for the Yarok sultai deck that's been mentioned upthread a few times? I have a few Yaroks and was wondering how close I'd be.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I've decided I do not like this Yarok deck. I don't know if I'm just mispiloting, but I've been mulliganing hard for Reefs and if you don't get one that deck eats poo poo against everything, from RDW to jank. Maybe my list just sucks?

4 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
3 Swamp (ANA) 58
4 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
4 Swamp (ANA) 63
2 Dread Presence (M20) 96
1 Swamp (WAR) 257
2 Neoform (WAR) 206
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Cloudkin Seer (M20) 54
2 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94
2 Yarok, the Desecrated (M20) 220
3 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Find // Finality (GRN) 225
1 Golgari Findbroker (GRN) 175
3 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
1 Cavalier of Thorns (M20) 167
3 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
3 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
2 Forest (ANA) 65
2 Hostage Taker (XLN) 223

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Bust Rodd posted:

The list I posted was a definitive Dread Presence deck and youíre only running 2 and some Hostage Takers. You also donít need the Risen reef in your opening hand you just need any form of acceleration. The deck has multiple engines working inside of it, Reef is one, Dread is one, Neoform gets you to both of them. Risen Reef is very good but Dread Presence is definitely the card that is winning 75-85% of the games Iím playing with it.

It sounds like I have been misplaying, then. I seem to have had Dread Presences but was using them for damage instead of card draw. I should be using neoforms on leafkins and reefs? Should I be running more?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

From an ironic distance, that Chandra sleeve at 100 is silly, but having it equipped I actually really like it

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Woo, opened a Questing Beast in one of my reward packs. I guess I am gonna live that Henge life in standard

Does henge need a full play set of beast?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Been trying to come up with a solid WB knights deck. There's a ton of cards/synergies, but I have no idea if anything is good or what would be best to cut. Out of this dumb 69 card deck I think I'd cut the following:

1. Circle of Loyalty
2. Konrad x2
3. Silverflame Ritual x1
4. Doom Foretold x 2
5. Corpse Knight x 2
6. Midnight Reaper x 1

4 Knight of the Ebon Legion (M20) 105
12 Plains (ANA) 61
4 Worthy Knight (ELD) 36
12 Swamp (ANA) 63
4 Venerable Knight (ELD) 35
4 Spark Harvest (WAR) 105
1 The Circle of Loyalty (ELD) 9
4 Smitten Swordmaster (ELD) 105
4 Belle of the Brawl (ELD) 78
3 Silverflame Ritual (ELD) 30
4 Corpse Knight (M20) 206
4 Wintermoor Commander (ELD) 205
2 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
2 Syr Konrad, the Grim (ELD) 107
2 Cavalier of Night (M20) 94
3 Midnight Reaper (GRN) 77

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Did I miss the Fblthp avatar? I was on a work trip the last week... did I need to play or enter a code or something?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Lone Goat posted:

if you've opted into getting promotional stuff, you should get a unique code for fblthp av/sleeves. i signed up at some point after seeing the below post and got the code in my email a couple hours ago

Thank you!

Also I'm seeing Simic Flash decks with Brazen Borrower- do I really need four loving unsummon mythics for the new iteration? I'm going to stick with just the preservers for now...

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Drewjitsu posted:

Brazen borrower is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly good though in simic flash (it remains to be been how good that deck is, however). Even though it's a boring as gently caress card, and in no way should have been a mythic rare.

Thatís what Iíve read everywhere. Every time I try to pilot flash I turn into a simpleton and lose to everything, even though Iíve accumulated all the right cards to make the engine run. All Iím missing from these new lists are the borrowers and Iíve opened zero of those. Iím wondering if itís worth it because of the whole losing thing plus the meta isnít settled, but from what it sounds like borrowers are in.

Dammit, wizards!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Syano posted:

My favorite new card is lovestruck beast because he whines when you play him

Thatís pining youíre hearing, not whining

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Syano posted:

The words rhyme so scientifically that means that they mean the same thing

quote:

pine2
/pīn/
Learn to pronounce
verb
gerund or present participle: pining
suffer a mental and physical decline, especially because of a broken heart.
"she thinks I am pining away from love"

Pine is more accurate

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Magic Underwear posted:

So long as dupe protection is still working I don't see why we would get compensation. In hearthstone it mattered because duplicates were worth some tiny fraction of a card. As long as fifth copies are changed to something you don't have, there is no loss of value. (Except for commons and uncommons, if they were also affected.)

This is my take too. Donít get me wrong, I wouldnít mind extra packs, but I got some okay stuff and some crap stuff out of my 97 packs and Iím mostly okay with that.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I've opened eight midnight clocks. I do not need that many! One might argue I don't need more than zero!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

zoux posted:

What do you guys think of Adventure cards so far

Pretty cool

I like this set

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

A Moose posted:

So, seems like the very first thing you should craft is 4x Oko, 4x Goose. Anything else is objectively wrong. After that comes Questing Beasts, Brazen Borrowers, Murderous Riders, and Henges.

Bone crusher? Mentioned upthread, shock plus a 4/3? Donít mind if I do

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Iíve got about 20+ rare and 12 mythic wcs, is it too early to burn em all?

Iím thinking gooses, okos, borrowers, maybe henges, trolls? I opened two henges, do you need a full play set?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Is there anything that smokes henge right now? I'm already sick of seeing it

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I have 90% of the Danse deck and I think playing turns me into a chimp because I cannot pilot it to save my life. I have a PhD, Iím not a stupid person! Only I guess I kinda am

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

ex post facho posted:

this is not at all optimal and can probably be tuned a lot more, I just threw together as much land destruction as I could think of

3 Rubble Reading (RNA) 110
8 Swamp (ELD) 261
3 Demolish (WAR) 123
3 Tectonic Rift (M20) 161
2 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman (ELD) 191
2 Mountain (ELD) 265
1 Forest (ANA) 60
1 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
3 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
4 Deathsprout (WAR) 189
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
3 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
3 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
3 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
2 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
3 Leyline Prowler (WAR) 202
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
3 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
1 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
2 Plaguecrafter (GRN) 82
1 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245

i just added the plaguecrafters and murderous rider for extra planeswalker hate, but the optimal ramp is to just hit 4 mana and start loving with their land. if you can hit even 1 dual land you usually destroy their tempo completely

Seems fun but Iíve only played four games all against aggro and it sucks poo poo against aggro.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

ex post facho posted:

yeah it struggles against monored but the leyline prowlers are immune to cry of the carnarium, so if you can get 2B and one of them it's usually gg

might also be worth throwing in flame sweep for knights

Thatís not a bad idea. My last three losses were against white weenie with hawk and pride mate, red cavalcade, and knights. A flame sweep wouldíve solved a few of those situations. I had a prowler out for both the cavalcade and white weenie decks but just couldnít escape the damage .

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Cats with only one 1x food engine in the whole deck though?

I put three ovens into my deck and itís grindy as gently caress. Really annoying and hard to deal with.

Edit: drat, robber of the rich seems really good. I opened zero. There's so many rares and mythics I want!

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 28, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

OK, so this deck was working okay last night, but today I have not drawn a pyromancer. Full stop. Five matches with no pyro draws in the first twenty cards, and then three matches where I just mulliganed until I saw one (mull'ed down to 4, 3, 3 respectively and lost). That said, when you draw a pyro early you can just wreck shop:

4 Hard Cover (M20) 63
11 Mountain (ANA) 64
2 Saheeli, Sublime Artificer (WAR) 234
4 Irencrag Pyromancer (ELD) 128
13 Island (ANA) 62
4 Chemister's Insight (GRN) 32
4 Opt (ELD) 59
4 Lava Coil (GRN) 108
4 Shock (M20) 160
2 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43
2 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
3 Slaying Fire (ELD) 143
1 Electrodominance (RNA) 99
2 Radical Idea (GRN) 52

There's obviously just some random poo poo in there- the electrodominance, for example- but the goal is to stick a pyro, slap a hard cover on it or on a servo token, and just ping over and over

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

The shuffler seems to have become sentient and evil and knows I totally donít want four apparitions prior to putting a single counter on my pride mate. It gives it to me anyway

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Rhaegar posted:

Agreed. Why do this? Punishment for anyone not thinking about Magic 24/7.

I mean, itís codes for cosmetic effects I have to turn off anyway...

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

This reminds me that I can't think of any adamant cards that are actually getting played. Maybe one in some BW Knights decks?

Slaying fire isnít terrible in rdw

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Huxley posted:

I tried 4 different pyro decks in the 12-game event and went 2-10.

I think itís not going to be effective. I opened four and posted a deck upthread that Iíve since changed, but they just donít generate enough value fast enough. If you get a couple of them out and match them with that fairy that gets counters when you draw a second card, you can start rolling, but most of the time Iím dying long before I can start the engine up.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

I have a poo poo ton of wildcards saved up- has the meta settled at all or should I still wait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Rough day for magic for me. Went 12-18 across multiple modes but goddamn if all my loses were the aggravating kind, where I either flooded out or my opponent just had perfect curves or nut draws or the optimal counter. Some days itís just not your day.