Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

salt shakeup posted:

Yeah I don't think Esper Dance will stay top tier. I couldn't win a game with it last night, but then I switched to Bant Golos and couldn't lose.

Bant golos is such a boring loving deck. It’s boring to play against and boring to play with. It sucks it’s that good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
What all decks are you going with for the event? I think I’m going to go with green stomp; troll kings, wicked wolves, yorvo, henge, questing beasts, and mana dorks.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

fadam posted:

It's Bo1 so I think playing anything other than Golos or mono-b is a mistake tbqh

You really think so? I’ve been winning with mono-g on ladder but maybe you’re right. What does the mono-b list look like? Is that cat pies or something else?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Yeah I'm completely undecided on what to run - my Rakdos aggro is tons of fun and I'm getting better at piloting it but what if the meta is anti-aggro and I lose :ohdear:

Yeah! I like mine too but I think that green has been more consistent. If I run into heavy removal my random aggro doesn’t have a lot of draw

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Hammer Bro. posted:

Round 7: Got to go first again against a weird Sarkhan USA Superfriends deck. Haven't seen the likes of that in a while.
Round 8: Red Aggro was on the play with the nut draw. I think I would've had that one were I on the play.
Round 8 Again: Simic Flash. I was one card away from a T2 Thought Erasure which would've cinched it. And actually all game I was basically one land away from doing what I wanted to, though that's what happens against tempo.

Got a Robber of the Rich, Wicked Wolf, Black Cauldron thingy, and a Dance of the Manse as prizes, though, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Nice brother! I have yet to start but I hope I can get even close to this!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Came to echo that golos field is boring af to play against. Did okay in the event, went 3-2 with henge. Lost to golos and a knights deck that drew the nuts.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Can’t even get away from these golos cunts in the regular play queue. Guys, I just want to play my midnight clock jank please.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
So do I take it I should just make golos field and coast into mythic? I have seen one non-field deck in about eight games now.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Bust Rodd posted:

People constantly complain about forgetting about planeswalker static ability text but no matter how many times I read and play against Mayhem Devil I just instantly forget what it does and die horribly

“a player” and “any” really gently caress people over. Nothing like having someone play a troll king from graveyard into two devils for lethal!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

ChrisBTY posted:

They tried to stop Hogaak decks by banning the card that wasn't JUST printed.
When that didn't work they relented and banned Hogaak (or did they ban Altar? Same deal either way)

I figure if Fields dominates the next month or so of high level events they'll ban it.

So this is basically prospecting on futures. I can craft fields with about 6 WCs on the shell stuff and 4 on Fields. I’ll theoretically lose the shell WCs since they have no value without fields. How much enjoyment can I squeeze out of the deck stomping on people before they ban it (if they ban it) and is it worth the wildcards I would need to spend?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Turns out I just needed two golos. First game: drew only grazers and hydroids for my first six draws and died to some selesnya deck.

Lol at being too dumb to win with golos...

Chased by two wins via insta concedes after hitting golos twice. This deck IS brain dead

sephiRoth IRA fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 8, 2019

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Kawabata posted:

Lmao Shahar is the only guy to win mtg world championship twice in the history of the game and he wasn't discussing "a play", he was going through entire matches to improve his plays with the deck.

The only correct part of your post is that the monou was, in fact, insane.

Will you please shut up? I don’t give a poo poo one way or another about mono blue but you come off like the most condescending oval office in the thread and that’s saying something

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Are you playing historic mode

I must be, since reading these posts is getting hosed twice for zero value

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Kawabata posted:

I think your post is meant for the other guy because I haven't posted anything controversial in a while. I do answer when someone is trying to flame me obviously.

It's funny that you should complain about my posts of all things, while we have horrid poo poo like this itt:

Like I said,

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I keep reading it as MCU and think “ah, gently caress, not another crossover”

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Dimir mill has been a ton of fun today. Probably going to lose more than I win in the long game, but I’m like 5/1 today. Drown in the Loch is wicked powerful when there is 36 cards in the opp yard

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

flatluigi posted:

I mean the hard part of that functionality is getting usable reports that aren't just 'I lost and I'm mad'

I liked the idea of a report button that comes up automatically after there has been extensive roping or emoting. They already had a “did you like this match” thing for a bit there. Or have some way to initiate a flag for extremely specific reasons, like racist as gently caress username.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

E2M2 posted:

What's there even to report?

Arivia posted:

people with really bad names like "pussykicker69"

Or “14wizard88”

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I lost to loving robber of the rich! I had a guy milled to zero, he pulled my jace with his robber. 1/30 chance. Sometimes you just gotta lose!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Keep in mind that this is jank, and I'm having fun with it, it's just that there are a ton of cards in my library and I'm wondering if there isn't a more efficient / more effective card I can pull into maindeck or wish sideboard.

2 Lucky Clover (ELD) 226
4 Merfolk Secretkeeper (ELD) 53
15 Island (ANA) 62
4 Overwhelmed Apprentice (ELD) 60
3 Drowned Secrets (GRN) 39
4 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
4 Wall of Lost Thoughts (RNA) 59
2 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
2 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
2 Thief of Sanity (GRN) 205
5 Swamp (ANA) 63
4 Drown in the Loch (ELD) 188
2 Bond of Insight (WAR) 43
1 Folio of Fancies (ELD) 46

2 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
2 Folio of Fancies (ELD) 46
2 Finale of Eternity (WAR) 91
2 Frogify (ELD) 47
1 Finale of Revelation (WAR) 51
3 Into the Story (ELD) 50
2 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212
1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

little munchkin posted:

murderous rider with only 9 black sources is highly illegal

I’m wondering if I should just bin the clover synergies. Fae and borrower are p. great but are they enough to main two clovers? I could toss the riders and put in more borrowers, maybe.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Zyla posted:

i have never seen nor played a successful self-mill jace win

FWIW I’m milling the other person. Jace serves to power the drowning, plus mill them and give me card draw. It’s costly though and I’m not 100% on it.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Play Sultai so that you can Tamiyo / Planewide Celebration the Jace back

This. You mill all you want because you have machinery to bring back poo poo you need. Though I’ve never had much success with self-mill

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
why, why do I play sealed, this was so dumb. I have some decent green-black synergy, the rest of the colors are garbage.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Look Around You posted:

You probably shouldn’t be playing tournament grounds in a b/g deck. Also probably shouldn’t be playing a quad black card (which the b/r hybrid guy is)

I was thinking it would be a good late game damage engine with the food sacs, but you might be right.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I opened a single glass slipper. I made the recommended changes, went 1-3, going back to the play queue in shame.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
So is golos really the show stopper everyone thought it would be? Simic food seems real powerful. Oko will rule when fields gets the ban.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Jabor posted:

Literally everybody build their deck for this tournament to beat Golos, and it still made up over half of the top 16.

Only one of those made top 8, but that's variance for you.

e: you're right that banning field without touching oko won't really fix the format.

That’s a fair point, actually. I do think they’ll need to do both for a more balanced meta.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
This poo poo is going to be over quick.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I’ve been wrong before...

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Bust Rodd posted:

It means that the entire format and meta is 100% warped around Field and this tournament was a 3 day long testament to how healthy and varied the format would be without it.

This is a good take. I liked the non-Golos games most of all, although I stand by my statement that oko needs a ban as well.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Dracula Factory posted:

Nissa could stand to be banned.

:frogout:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Gruul embercleave pushed me farther up the ladder than I’ve ever been last night. I wonder if I shouldn’t just switch to simic food though. I didn’t catch all of the tournament, how does that matchup tend to go? Is there a game I could be pointed to from the MC?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

AngryBooch posted:

Here's how Javier did with Gruul Embercleave vs each condensed archetype:

Decks featuring the Food Package: 2 wins, 5 losses. (Javi won vs these decks in the Top 8, he never won a game vs these decks in the swiss.)
Golos Fields: 5 wins, 2 losses.
Vs other aggro decks (rakdos sackdos, rdw, mardu knights, gruul mirror): 5 wins, 0 losses.

So the food package matchup is very poor, the golos fields matchup is good, and the aggro matchups are very good.

That’s what I thought. I played against a fair bit of golos last night (last hurrah I assume) so it might not be long-lived.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

gently caress yeah!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
I wonder how much WOTC will actually pick up off of the Blizzard bullshit. I’m guessing not much but judging by the threads in the Free Hong Kong forum, I’m betting some HS players quit for Magic. Seeing a popular stream roll on Blizzard would certainly help.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan
Oh cool, thanks Arena, I definitely wanted only Nissas and no mana. That's real cool. Oh, three games in a row? Neato!

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

starkebn posted:

almost done with this game due to the client bugging out every second match or so, locking me out behind a loading screen. The upcoming patch with stability fixes better be a doozy.

I have literally never had any of these problems, they sound loving awful. Could these be pc issues?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

starkebn posted:

being in Australia doesn't help

I found your problem :sad:

Seriously though I feel for you- I finally moved to a place with decent internet and I swear I’m never leaving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

Jabor posted:

I'm going to guess he had two lands up, but neither one could produce red.

Probably not used to having to manage more than one color