Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

5 mana and mono colored. Barf.

Are there enough mana dorks in the format to guarantee a t3 nissa? Because not a lot of decks can handle endless 3/3's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dr. Stab posted:

How do you even get a t3 nissa post rotation?

e: like arboreal grazer t1 into t2 dork? What else is there?

No idea, I totally didn't even think about what mana dorks are going to be in standard post rotation.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Make lots of food tokens and bring them to life with Karn and whatever else turns things into artifact creatures! RAWR, I smash you with a giant walking pie!

EDIT: I love "Bake into a Pie". It's legit one of the silliest black cards I've ever seen.

Sillier than making a giant formless (non-indestructible) godbeing walk the plank to its death? (or a flying creature?)

I mean, you'd have to have a pretty good kitchen to get some of the more esoteric things out there, but it's not impossible. You don't know, they could be big Heston Blumenthal fans. :colbert:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

axeil posted:

I have no idea how to sideboard which is why I've stayed away from Bo3 formats. I'm also a bit worried that the time commitment may be too much.

Are there any good guides about how to sideboard?

Most people who are promoting their deck will also have a sideboard guide.

From a very top down macro perspective, you're trying to improve your matchup via your sideboard through either protecting your game plan, or disrupting your opponents. Occasionally, you will have threats in your board which are unanswerable by your opponent (think shifting ceratops vs mono-u, or Lyra vs RDW).

By and large most of the things you are going to be boarding in are reactive cards, so be careful about over boarding as an aggro deck. You don't want to board in so many answers, you lose the ability to ask questions, you know?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Thank you!

Also I'm seeing Simic Flash decks with Brazen Borrower- do I really need four loving unsummon mythics for the new iteration? I'm going to stick with just the preservers for now...

Brazen borrower is reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly good though in simic flash (it remains to be been how good that deck is, however). Even though it's a boring as gently caress card, and in no way should have been a mythic rare.

Edit: it's not unsummon, it's Disperse - you can snipe any non-land permanent, which is, again, really good.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 27, 2019

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

sephiRoth IRA posted:

That’s what I’ve read everywhere. Every time I try to pilot flash I turn into a simpleton and lose to everything, even though I’ve accumulated all the right cards to make the engine run. All I’m missing from these new lists are the borrowers and I’ve opened zero of those. I’m wondering if it’s worth it because of the whole losing thing plus the meta isn’t settled, but from what it sounds like borrowers are in.

Dammit, wizards!

Try Esper Stax (aka Esper Doom), if you've got the parts for it. With the advent of food, I think that control/midrange decks are very well situated in the meta, and tempo decks might be good right now, with all of the unfocused decks running around, but once things stabilize, I think it's a bad time for tempo and aggro. To say nothing of a good golos/field of the dead deck, or something similar.

Please don't quote this post so I can edit it later when I am hideously wrong.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

!amicable posted:

I just picked up mtga last weekend, so all these sick deck ideas are super welcome for the every card event. But uh...I'm kinda bad at this game, so are there any sweet decks that aren't hard control?

Yes, but the usual aggro deck (mono red) is unturned at the moment and requires a bunch of mythics.

Even the b/r aggro deck has a ton of rares in it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Veib posted:

Yeah this seems good to me at least for now, I just hit Mythic with this list. Doom Foretold seems like a real motherfucker to deal with, I wouldn't know because literally nobody is playing this.

Doom foretold is really good. Remember that the thing you sacrifice cannot be a token, so food tokens are out. I kept thinking that opponents food would be first to hit the bin, until I read the card again. Oops.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Magic Underwear posted:

If I pump a knight of the ebon legion in response to a merfolk trickster, I'm pretty sure it won't keep deathtouch but will the +3/+3 stay?

Nope. He's a 1/2 + any +1/+1 counters on it. (this came up when merfolk tricksters would eat adanto vanguards for breakfast)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Dance is super fun IMO

Hell yeah. Except when you don't draw your eggs, then it durdles a bit and falls over.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

A Moose posted:

So is dance manse revolution a real deck? Because I don't think anyone has played it in a competitive setting yet which makes me think I may have wasted wildcards. At least fires is super fun to play. It literally doesn't matter which variant, untapping with a fires of invention is one of the most fun things to do in standard.

Bryan Gottlieb sez it's tier 1.5. It's a real deck for sure. Doom foretold with a bunch of junk artifacts on the board feels really powerful, and then when you dance manse revolution for a bunch, you win.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

axeil posted:

Any good ideas for this weekend in terms of decks? I'm debating just saying screw it and doing Golos Field because it seems like it has no truly terrible matchups and in a bo1 format where you can only lose once you need to minimize having matchups where you just auto-lose.

Pretty sure that golos field with the fae of wishes wishboard is the best deck in the format.

Being able to go over the top against any other durdley deck with the wishboard (although Jeskai fires is going to do the same thing) seems very powerful, and in the alternative, a 1/4 flyer for 2 mana seems really good against aggro decks.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

9-2 with Golos field, with close wins being against Jeskai Fires, and everything else was pretty much a blow out.

The two losses came from Golgari Adventure (the second questing beast got me just before I stablized, and I should have wished for either ethereral absolution or planewide celebration), and Simic Flash (with maindeck Mystic Dispute?! Who just had everything).

List below:
1 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
4 Golos, Tireless Pilgrim (M20) 226
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
4 Field of the Dead (M20) 247
1 Simic Guildgate (RNA) 257
2 Realm-Cloaked Giant (ELD) 26
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
3 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Forest (XLN) 277
4 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
4 Circuitous Route (GRN) 125
1 Blossoming Sands (M20) 243
2 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Golgari Guildgate (GRN) 249
2 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
2 Island (XLN) 265
1 Izzet Guildgate (GRN) 251
1 Plains (XLN) 261
1 Selesnya Guildgate (GRN) 256
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
2 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Plaza of Harmony (RNA) 254
1 Boros Guildgate (GRN) 243
1 Tranquil Cove (M20) 259
4 Fae of Wishes (ELD) 44
1 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
1 Agent of Treachery (M20) 43

1 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
1 Planar Cleansing (M20) 33
1 Time Wipe (WAR) 223
1 Unmoored Ego (GRN) 212
1 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
1 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
1 Devout Decree (M20) 13
1 Ashiok, Dream Render (WAR) 228
1 Plaza of Harmony (RNA) 254
1 Aether Gust (M20) 42
1 Despark (WAR) 190
1 Planewide Celebration (WAR) 172
1 Negate (RIX) 44
1 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
1 Tectonic Rift (M19) 162

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kraps posted:

Alright, what's an example of a good deck to craft with white in it.

Golos field? :v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kraps posted:

Yeah that's really all I want, I'll be glad to see your deck.

I'd rather stab myself in the dick. Not very hard though tbh.

How about selesnya advenures? It's not a great deck, but it's okay (maybe like tier 2, 2.5)
4 Edgewall Innkeeper (ELD) 151
4 Faerie Guidemother (ELD) 11
4 Giant Killer (ELD) 14
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Shepherd of the Flock (ELD) 28
1 Trostani Discordant (GRN) 208
4 Venerated Loxodon (GRN) 30
4 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
2 Flower // Flourish (GRN) 226
4 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
4 Raise the Alarm (M20) 34
2 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
7 Plains (ANA) 56
8 Forest (ANA) 60

2 Devout Decree (M20) 13
3 Gideon Blackblade (WAR) 13
2 Glass Casket (ELD) 15
2 Knight of Autumn (GRN) 183
3 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
3 Vivien, Champion of the Wilds (WAR) 180

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

You fuckers, you told me literally 2 days ago to go ahead and blow all my wildcards on a Golos deck. "Don't worry, if they ban it you'll get the wild cards back"... yeah for one set... not the other 20 rares! I'm ruined!

edit: OK so, for best of 1, what is the absolute fastest deck to either win, or prompt a Concede, or make it obvious to me I should concede. Something like last rotation's Mono-U or Mono-R where it is super obvious to the opponent when they are hosed.

Hard to predict that the best deck in standard would get hammered down, turns out it was too good!

Enjoy your wins for the next 3 weeks, and unfortunately, that's how the cookie crumbles.

Also, the only rares that you're really going to be out are golos, so it's like 4 rares. Every other card you crafted (except king Kenrith, :v:) has a home in another deck.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

A Moose posted:

Who are you even playing against that plays massacre girl? It's the worst board wipe vs Golos because it doesn't work by itself, and there aren't any good aggro decks right now. Maybe mono white or black but that's more tier 2.

I think massacre girl is floating around in the sb of Golgari adventure as a 2x.

Also, don't pay attention to Kawabawa. He left in a huff eariler in the thread, and now he's upset about being behind on content, now that he's slipped a bunch of sets. It's not worth it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kawabata posted:

I didn't leave in a huff at all, I got to high Mythic in my first 2 weeks in MTGA only using monou and regulars in the thread were condescending and salty as gently caress that I could play that one deck better than them. The same way you're condescending. It's good to be back, folks! :)

Take a break, Kawabata.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Huxley posted:

You can't even goldfish a T5 kill right now.

T1 scorch spitter
T2 Rimrock knight, attack with ss = 18
T3 Bone crusher giant, attack with ss and rk = 13
T4 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell, attack with ss (6), rk (5) and bg (6) = opponent at - 4.

Torbran is pretty nuts in RDW. If Torbran was slaying fire instead the opponent would be at 1 life on T5, and die to scorch spitter ping.

It's very possible to goldfish a T5 kill in this format.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

land sequencing, sweeper timing, whether to roll the dice with golos or make the reliable play of the stuff in your hand. it's got the same decision points as any other deck you're just a lot more likely to win at the end

most matchups get completely braindead once your late game is setup but the mirror is wild and you gotta do a lot of work to get ahead when both sides have a huge wall of zombies

Play a wish board, have tectonic rift, win mirror. :v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Basically, outside of a few legit bugs, the game is smarter than you are, and if something comes up that takes you by surprise and you think it's a bug, chances are you've misinterpreted the rules and hosed up.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Jabor posted:

Don't spend wildcards just on collecting stuff.

Craft cards when you want to play a deck that uses them.

Unless, you are like me, a whale, who had the feel bads of scarcity tattoo'd onto his soul as a child playing mtg, and now has to have a complete collection of digital cards thanks to having disposable income.

:shepspends:

(don't do what I do)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Don't do what, make enough money to be able to spend it frivolously?

It was more 'don't whale out on games where you don't end up owning the things your purchasing', but I suppose that's every game nowadays.

In other news, the Gruul aggro deck fucks, and embercleave (along with questing beast) is a really good card. Questing beast is a no brainer, but embercleave really isn't as clunky as it looks, and it usually wraps the game up when it hits the table, either by killing the opponent outright, or turning a good block into a hilariously bad block + extra damage.

Deck list here: https://twitter.com/jakob8b/status/1183427139242287111?s=09

[quote="The Sean" post="499113245"]
'sup soulmate
[/quote

:shepspends::hf::smith:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

I just hit mythic and here's where I ended up at:
there's two plains missing from the pic for some reason

I followed some advice from arena decklists where they suggested leaning hard on teferi because it's good against aggro and countermagic, which are the two most problematic things for you. also cutting tapped duals for off-color shocklands just to make sure they can cast your spells in the early game.

the way I found to get an edge in the mirror was to just not play any "hate" cards. opponents would have unmoored ego or ashiok or get a bunch of stuff with fae of witches, and I would just run them over anyways. unmoored ego is terrible and i have yet to lose to someone who has cast it. I never felt like kenrith was something the deck needed but maybe im underestimating it in non-mirror matchups

sky tether is my secret tech for everything else. one mana to answer a questing beast or skargan hellkite is super strong

Four basics when you run 3x passage, 2x beanstalk, and 4 routes seems like you're setting yourself up for a bad time.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

little munchkin posted:

there's two plains that showed up blank on the decklist generator for some reason

It still seems a little light with 6 basics. I'd probably run 7 or 8 with swamp and mountain being the last two, just to prevent doubling issues. You can run into some fotd activation problems if you draw basics in your starting 7.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

drewmoney posted:

Anyone got any sideboard advice in the Gruul vs Simic Food match up? Seems tough.

I do know that any sort of fight creature wrecks the gruul player. Maybe you're boarding into more removal?

Gruul is really only in the meta to target greedy decks, and simic food seems like a brutal matchup.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

That's a good question... who is the edgiest Planeswalker of all time?

Dack? He did get stabbed through the chest after all. :v:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Lone Goat posted:

turns out that the big brain monou player can't figure out the nuances of counting to 2, incredible

I'm betting he's colorblind. He thought all his cards were colorless when playing the gruul deck.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Kawabata posted:

Hahaha, see? This is a good one.

Keep rolling with those punches, chief.

zoux posted:

Hot take: people are overreacting to the strength of the impending Oko meta.

Hopefully? We have a ton of ways to interact with pw's, so hopefully black has more of a presence post ban.

The arena decklist guys are pretty high on kannister's Golgari adventure deck, as I think that gives you the best way to interact cleanly with Oko.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 22, 2019

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

ex post facho posted:

I still think something is wrong with pack collation/distribution or whatever. Opened my 7th? Irencrag Feat just now :qq:

You can't open rares past your 4th copy of them, and when you do, you get a gem card instead. Unless you only have Feat as the 4x in ELD, how would you know you keep opening Feats past the 4th?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

kater posted:

Why does the Brawl event have an entry fee? You can play an unlimited number of times after paying it and there is no reward besides the ugly stupid card decorations.

You also get a copy of the card, so you get both the card + the decoration. It's not great value, because the actual cards are poo poo, but it's a quick way to get 5 wins if you're jamming simic food, basically.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gesundheit.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Argas posted:

Can I walk to a plane without planeswalkers

You just need to take the Asyen Highway.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mike N Eich posted:

That black enchantment that lets you draw 3 cards for 3 is like totally insane isn't it? There's tons of ways to mitigate its damage to you (it would be pretty insane with Doom Foretold too) and even if it sticks around for a little bit of time its not the worst thing to deal with.

Spiderdrake posted:

I wouldn't say it's totally insane since the life cost will add up to be a punishing amount if you can't deal with it.

But the combo with Doom Foretold, that's a spicy meatball. Good flavor too.

If you target the Treacherous Blessing with Doom fortold, doesn't it sacrifice itself (as per the text on the card), forcing you to sacrifice another non-land/token permanent? It's still great, but not as clean as if it didn't have the sacrifice clause on the card. Still, I think it's probably better than the guild globes in the deck as they stand. You're not extending your doom foretold clock, but then again, 3 cards is 3 cards.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

qbert posted:

That's not how it works. Doom Foretold's sacrifice trigger does not target, therefore you can still sacrifice Treacherous Blessing to it.

Oh wow, yeah it doesn't target. Holy crap.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Alzion posted:

Target is a key word in magic rules text. If an effect doesn't specifically say target then it doesn't target. Sacrificing is always a "choose" not a target.

You can run into some edge cases around the targeting rules at times. For example when you cast an Aura you target a creature for it to enchant. But, if an Aura is exiled and returned to game you choose a creature for it to enchant. So, you can Pacifism a Hexproof creature in this kind of edge case.

Yeah that I do know about, thanks trivia brain. Didn't realize that there wasn't a target keyword on doom foretold.

So it's pretty bonkers combo. Seems really good!

Dance manse revolution continues to look strong. Depending on how much GY hate there is in theros. (also if there's an Oko ban, but that's pretty much a lock).

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

cams posted:

like 95% of the skill in magic is properly identifying the meta and building a deck to deal with it, so if the meta is brand new, you are gonna have a much harder time building for it because you have to predict rather than research.

3% of the remaining skill is having read cards and being able to remember what they do, 2% is actually playing the game

When my friends were hurf durf serious about mtg we often said (regarding tournament magic) the first person to think loses.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

zoux posted:

Is it uncommon for brand new cards to immediately top 8 non-rotating format tourneys

Sort of? It they are powerful enough (and obvious enough, I suppose) they will make an impact on non-rotating formats.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Eej posted:

Lemme get right on building a Sideboard for the BO1 only event

Fae of Wishes, checkmate. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Fell Fire posted:

Got to platinum with this slightly janky deck. Control can be really powerful, although I need to work out some of the third and fourth-turn drops. (No sideboard, I was only playing Bo1.)

I don't think that I ran up against any real combo decks. A couple where they started off, but I was able to steal a permanent at the right moment. A few who clearly gave up too early.

Any suggestions?

Your deck is all over the place. What are you trying to accomplish with the deck? There's a weird mill subtheme that seems really at odds with the rest of your flying threats, and if you're running mono-u, more gadwick's seem pretty good, OR if you're going for the mill plan, faerie folios.

I assume most of the 3x or 2x are collection issues. If you want card draw with the mill theme, why not Into the story? What about Chemister's Insight? Why the random 1x of turn into a pumpkin?

The deck reads as a sort of tempo deck with all of the low cmc flying threats. How do you usually win games?