Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

This event makes me feel like a jackass for buying the mastery pass. It's not good enough to play the game every day, you have to grind in this dumbass event to max out the rewards for the thing you bought and it's really made the game feel like a chore. Even if ELD turns out to be really fun there's no way in hell I'm buying another pass. Between that and the stupid historic stuff, I don't know if I can justify paying money for this game every new set to stay current, I might just fall back into the occasional f2p jank player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I've been a Day9 fan since the starcraft days but it's hard to watch him when he hits play then gets up to take a dump or something and he leaves his opponent waiting around because the first few timers are brutally generous.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Jesus it's a lot like Ebon Legion and maybe just as good.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Is it just me or does ELD seem like a low power set so far? I feel like when we were seeing WAR spoilers every rare seemed nasty but a lot of these new rares don't get me excited at all.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I've never played standard before GRN, but I guess it makes sense for the first new set in a rotation to be a little weaker or else you start to get power creep. And I imagine after designing the game for this long they probably have a good idea of how to prevent creep.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

The lands seem good for the most part, which kinda sucks because imo it doesn't feel fun to spend a rare on a land.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

A paid momir event is for insane people only, I wish they had a fun event instead.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Simic Flash is a hoot and a holler but it loses to lots of things and needs a decent draw to get any momentum. Gruul seems really strong against it, it has tough creatures that demand to be countered and if you can resolve 1 or 2 its usually gg.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Simic Flash looks even stronger now with wildborn preserver, I'm very pumped because I like causing others misery.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I hope Wishclaw Talisman is playable because I pulled three in a row and then a fourth a few packs later. Other than that I feel like I got lucky with my packs, lots of castles but no fabled passages which seems like a must-have for everyone.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Flash is so much fun now, it lost some good counters but gained two ridiculous creatures. I hope it stays tier 1 or 2 but even if it ends up being bad against the meta it will still be really fun to play.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah the rares are going to be a problem for new players, it depends on how the meta shakes out but theres a ton of powerful ELD rares and mythics so it may be hard to get people to the top tier of decks.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Goose definitely needs an annoying HONK HONK when it comes in.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Any chance of a ban for Field of the Dead? I don't know much about what cards usually get banned but FoD is just so boring and there's not any great way of stopping it. Until the format speeds up with a new set and we maybe get some sort of hate card I think it's going to dominate the meta.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I'm not confident in my prediction but I think Field and Nissa could stand to be banned.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Hey I play a deck with 4 Nissa I'm just saying shes kinda really good and might get the axe.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

This is great news but it doesn't hit Arena yet so I imagine the next few days are going to be Field nostalgia hell on ranked.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Hoogland confuses me so much, maybe I'm just not galaxy brain enough to understand how being completely unwatchable gets you loyal viewers.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah Javier winning with a goofy deck is cool but statistically he got pretty lucky and barely squeaked by the first two days. I like embercleave so I hope the deck has legs but I could see it having problems in the new meta.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I know everyone hates Oko but I hope simic food stays good because usually the tier 1 decks aren't this much fun to play.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Uhg that's gonna actually make my OCD F2P rear end grind more than I was. Can't give up my pack a day habit!

I know right? It's straight up more xp available but I was content in being able to max out the XP fairly easily. It might make me play more though, sometimes I feel like I need to stop playing when I have my daily rewards done.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Man I really was hoping he wouldn't rule the meta after the field ban, but yeah Oko is totally broken and I don't think the food deck can survive without him, which is a shame cause it's really fun. I wish they would ban him and rip off the band aid already so we can see the new meta. I really like grixis and jeskai fires so I hope those end up being competitive, I know at least GB adventures will be good but that deck is a little boring to me.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

cams posted:

what if someone tries to thought erasure one of your good cards though???

If you ever see thought erasure, just scoop before they play unmoored ego and really get ya.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

gently caress I'm so glad I made the leap into Bo3, I won a game 3 entirely because of good sideboarding decisions and it feels really good.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I really like how the meta is shaking up, it seems like the worst thing about it is how long it takes to go through the cat combo. I've ended up playing Golgari adventure, it has a bunch of fancy art and theres tons of ways to tweak the deck so I think I'm gonna try to get mythic this season even though I kinda suck.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I hope that clash of the titans owl is part of the mastery pass because the bundle it comes in really doesn't seem worth it, but I really love that owl.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

This event is a joke, just wait a bit longer and play the Ashiok one its free wins.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah I felt like before the rotation there were decks like Mono U and RDW that could be serviceable decks with a small number of rares, but the meta hasn't shaken out like that this time.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah, Ebon Legion is insane for a 1 drop and you should look for any excuse to play it, flash decks have to make really unfavorable trades in order to deal with it.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I play gruul adventure and it seems to have at least an even matchup with snackrifice, most of the time theres a questing beast beating on them while they are doing 2 damage a turn. and thats if they draw good, if they dont draw oven its usually over pretty quick.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I remember when eldraine came out they gave away a bunch of rare ICRs for having the old mastery pass, so theres some value loss on that too.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I've been playing this deck that Bloody posted on twitter because it happened to have lots of the cards I've pulled so far.

Deck
3 Despark (WAR) 190
2 Island (ANA) 62
2 Plains (ANA) 61
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
2 Swamp (ANA) 63
3 Ashiok's Erasure (THB) 43
1 Thassa's Intervention (THB) 72
3 Tyrant's Scorn (WAR) 225
4 Teferi, Time Raveler (WAR) 221
3 Mortify (RNA) 192
3 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
2 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
2 Elspeth Conquers Death (THB) 13
3 Ashiok, Nightmare Muse (THB) 208
1 Dream Trawler (THB) 214
1 Kiora Bests the Sea God (THB) 52
2 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
2 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
2 Temple of Deceit (THB) 245
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
4 Watery Grave (GRN) 259

Sideboard
2 Devout Decree (M20) 13
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
2 Dovin's Veto (WAR) 193
3 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
1 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
1 Dream Trawler (THB) 214
2 Kiora Bests the Sea God (THB) 52

It seems mostly straightforward, but I'm still pretty new to sideboarding so I'm wondering when you would want to board in the Kaya PWs? Is she useful against cats combo or can they just summon the cat in response to her +1?

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Eej posted:

If their combo is assembled you use Kaya to eat the Oven not the Cat. Otherwise you use her to deny them any GY shenanigans and her -5 as pressure to start closing the game.

Oh that makes sense, I should probably read every ability on the card. I used to hate playing against control, but now that I'm on the other end I'm having a bunch of fun and I'm glad I found a use for the 3 big ashioks I pulled. I think it's weak to aggro, but it seems like that comes with the territory.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I play a thassa thief simic deck and it feels weak to both aggro and the sweepers that lots of decks pack these days, super fun when it goes off though.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

Seems like that RDW list has gotten around and everyone is playing it. What deck out there has a good matchup? I've been playing UW and ive had some luck if I can get a good sweeper off and stick a dream trawler, but I have no idea how to board against RDW other than take out the teferis.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I feel dirty for playing my most hated color combo, UW, but Dream Trawler finishes games so nicely the deck feels great to play. I for one welcome our new azorius overlords, him and lil Teferi are going to enable this kind of deck for a while, I think.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

You definitely want to get Eldraine and Theros packs. IMO Eldraine has stronger rares overall but Theros has the very important dual-color scry lands and you'll want at least a few of those no matter what.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I made like 10 spare email accounts before I got bored to maximise my chances, but I've only gotten the reward code on the email tied to my MTG account, so I wouldn't be surprised if they only let emails that have mtg accounts on them get rewards. PVDDR was my 3rd choice but on my main email I picked Javier :negative:

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

The Sean posted:

I broke my arena sobriety very quickly. Hopped on to the play queue during lunch and run into--surprise--a counterspell deck. Not just any, though. Literally only counterspells and prison-type cards. Nothing offensive at all. Just doing nothing the whole time. So I'm enjoying myself by reading the internet on my pc and watching my peripheral to hit next at the very latest time on the rope.

edit: took my whole lunch break. got to read about a lot of GOP crimes and wasted a lovely person's time so pretty good lunch break.

Or you could have just played the game and won because a deck with no wincons is bad, but I guess being a dick is an option too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I think in this game going pure f2p is tough and requires time and sacrifice, but ive put about $80 bucks and some consistent time into the game since GRN and I have almost all the good cards and a solid horde of 40+ rare WCs. Compared that to hearthstone where I played a lot and put a little money in and I could still only play druid cause that was my solitary good legendary card. I would be sweating if I worked on HS, I feel like its going to be put into this niche of players that dont want the complexity of MTG but are willing to pay up every xpac.