Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
what the gently caress

have i been misunderstanding the "protection from" mechanic this entire time or is arena loving with me

it should prevent all damage from the protected source color. in this situation a green creature with trample is blocked by a black creature with protection from green with toughness that would otherwise allow trample damage through. since all damage is prevented, why does any damage trample through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
:cripes:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i just had a game where I drew an island, a dimir guildgate, 3 thought erasures, vraska's contempt and wizard's retort

poor other player :(

it did not go well for them (w/u high alert) but to their credit, they didnt concede after 3 TE, only after I Vraska'd their Teferi and then played 2 the eldest reborns

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Throne of Eldraine block seems like its going to be a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to it

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
with about 15k saved up does it make sense to just crack 10 and wait for the sealed event? I'm largely a f2p player.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
^ thanks, I'm not super concerned with minmaxing my rares, i still have ~20 rare/mythic rare WCs, its a digital card game, recognizing the impermanence of all things, etc.

9/10 of my rares were red, including 2 of the "spawn one of 3 weenies" enchantment and embercleave :stare:

guess im doing boros for a while

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i dont think i understand the "play any deck" event? its requiring me to craft cards i'm creating a deck with despite it saying you have access to those. why cant i have 4x questing beasts huh

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Ah that makes sense thanks, or maybe not? 🤔

will try a decklist i found and see how it goes.

E: importing a deck then starting the event worked. might just be something to be careful about if you see crafting requirements pop up without importing

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 26, 2019

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
this deck is absurd

4 Blood Crypt
8 Swamp (339)
9 Mountain (343)
1 Fabled Passage
2 Castle Locthwain
4 Gutterbones
4 Rotting Regisaur
4 Spawn of Mayhem
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion
4 Bonecrusher Giant
4 Murderous Rider
4 Robber of the Rich
4 Stormfist Crusader
4 Fervent Champion

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
T3 oko is super oppressive :stonk:

i mean i just lost to guildgate field of dead zombie swarm, but I held on a lot longer than i thought due to never ending 3/3 tokens due to the GG food/+1 oko combo. almost had the fucker with questing beast

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Import any decklist and you can play any cards in it for free, for 12 games

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
oko basically demands hard planeswalker removal or you're never going to kill it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i'm playing a Jund land destruction deck with 16 land destruction targets and Garruk as a finisher and it's fuckin' hilarious

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
wow you were really counting on that dual land and field of the dead huh? poo poo

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
assassin's trophy is also way, way more valuable in this standard imo

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
this is not at all optimal and can probably be tuned a lot more, I just threw together as much land destruction as I could think of

3 Rubble Reading (RNA) 110
8 Swamp (ELD) 261
3 Demolish (WAR) 123
3 Tectonic Rift (M20) 161
2 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman (ELD) 191
2 Mountain (ELD) 265
1 Forest (ANA) 60
1 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
3 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
4 Deathsprout (WAR) 189
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
3 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
3 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
3 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
2 Temple of Malady (M20) 254
3 Leyline Prowler (WAR) 202
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
3 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
1 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
2 Plaguecrafter (GRN) 82
1 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245

i just added the plaguecrafters and murderous rider for extra planeswalker hate, but the optimal ramp is to just hit 4 mana and start loving with their land. if you can hit even 1 dual land you usually destroy their tempo completely

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
yeah it struggles against monored but the leyline prowlers are immune to cry of the carnarium, so if you can get 2B and one of them it's usually gg

might also be worth throwing in flame sweep for knights

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 28, 2019

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i killed myself with murderous rider earlier thinking that it gained 2 life, not lost two :v:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Oko, Fabled Passage, Questing Beasts are all easy crafts, right?

I have 25 rares and ~15 mythics and I'm wondering if I just go all in on Simic/Bant food this cycle. I could technically go Rakdos B/R knights too but just hasn't felt as good.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i was drunk and crafted bant food and spent ~22 rares and ~9 MRs to finish it, and after a few games making GBS threads on RDW and Teferi, no ragrets

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Lukewarm take: Oko is really good but is strongly dependent on establishing control of the board state early so you can spam 3/3s from your food and Elkify threats as needed

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i feel like my stupid janky B/G garruk deck is actually fairly competitive right now simply because I use 4x assassin's trophy in maindeck specifically for fields and a shitload of board hate like carnarium and ritual of soot.

its not great but it specifically fucks up fields and has enough lifegain thru leyline prowler and bond of flourishing to survive a lot of aggro. liking it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I dont like Ravens because it makes me do timed math and im very bad at timed math

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
currently roping every single action against a golos field player, who has the misfortune of spamming fields against me when i thiught it was banned from standard already

you want this win with that bullshit its gonna cost you 20 loving minutes while i watch netflix motherfucker

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
jokes on them because they just time out conceded so i musta caught them needing to poop :smug:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
it was pretty cathartic, actually

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i actually really enjoy every other matchup in the format. fields is a war crime and so justice must be meted out upon anyone still using it

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
we all deserve the right to be irrationally dumb sometimes, dont we

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
and it won't be a problem in a day! i have a janky garruk deck i've been looking to try and push through gold with so here's to a very different meta tomorrow.

E: just got wrecked by a u/g deck running mass manipulation, gadwick, and tamiyo + mystic sanctuary to recurse it. that felt mean

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 24, 2019

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
/\ just not yet, i thought it was Monday and its actually tomorrow lol

T2 oko is brutal if you get a goose in your opening hand. Lots of scoops on oko + goose + qb on T3. I am a little surprised they didnt errata him somehow or restrict, but also feel like there's probably enough planeswalker hate (and now aggro, i assume) floating around to keep u/g bant food from getting too gross.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Does Simic Flash have a hard counter? Cavalcade I guess? Though I think its really dependent on curving out. Frilled Mystic is a SOB

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Doesnt Brineborn Cutthroat eventually get fat enough to stop Ceratops, though? I still feel like winning against SF is all about gaining board and never letting up pressure, because once you do, you're hosed

E: oh right prot blue :rolleye:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yeah that's a pretty solid counter, can't think of a good answer from SF to Ceratops other than Kenrith's Transformation, and lol if that gets maindecked

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I still think something is wrong with pack collation/distribution or whatever. Opened my 7th? Irencrag Feat just now :qq:

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Been having a lot of success in BO1 recently using an Orzhov discard control deck that's fun as hell to play, and a MonoG stompy deck that I'll change up with when I want to remind myself how busted green is right now

Maindecking Kaya and Ashiok and it actually works really well to gently caress over Fires, Cat oven and the occasional Izzet. Kaya can even exile Cat or Oven the turn it hits. After a few Ashiok burns, Yarok's Fenlurker and some steady Kaya exile I hit someone with her ult for 25 :eyepop:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 13, 2019

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah gimme your decklist cause I tried yesterday to do the Ashiok/Kaya combo and people are just playing at such obscene power levels (Gruul, Fires etc.) that I can't hang long enough for any of that nonsense.

2x Charming Prince
4x Burglar Rat
4x Yarok's Fenlurker
2x Murderous Rider
2x Witch's Vengeance
2x Kaya, Orzhov Usurper
2x Mortify
1x Oath of Kaya
2x Ashiok, Dream Render
2x Basilica Bell-Haunt
2x Doom Foretold
2x Kaya's Wrath
1x Karn, the Great Creator
3x Cavalier of Dawn
2x Lilliana, Dreadhorde General
2x Ethereal Absolution
5x Plains
2x Castle Locthwain
6x Swamp
1x Godless Shrine
4x Orzhov Guildgate
4x Scoured Barrens
2x Temple of Silence
1x Blast Zone

Sideboard
2x Grafdigger's Cage
3x Glass Casket
1x Wishclaw Talisman
2x Sorcerous Spyglass
1x Bolas's Citadel
1x God-Pharaoh's Statue
2x Meteor Golem
3x Stonecoil Serpent

I'm sure there's more tweaking to be done but:

- Get a rat or fenlurker (preferably 2x) in opening hand
- Flicker rat/fen with Prince
- Use Witch's Vengeance against knights or elementals
- Kaya to destroy Cats and Ovens
- If Doom Foretold, dont chump with rats, prince or fens, save them for sac. You'll gain big card advantage.
- Cavalier of Dawn any other major threats

By t5 or t6, most of the time they have no resources and maybe 1x creature on the board. Meanwhile you should still have a Cavalier, Doom, Lilliana, or Absolution and close to the manabase to cast it. Use Wrath and Vengeance to hold the line until you can get mana/Kaya to stabilize, and then it's basically gg. Karn can help with finding good answers.

Wins against: Fires, Oven, Golgari Adventures, Gruul, Knights
Loses to: MonoG Stompy
Even: RDW (depends highly on initial hand and getting at least 1 Wrath + mana), Simic

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 13, 2019

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I do, actually, it does have some consistency issues, and I don't have 4x Godless Shrine, so I do occasionally see some mana screw.

I struggle with taking out things like Witch's Vengeance (and including 4x Kaya's, for example) because it's so useful in an environment where there are a ton of tribal decks out there. Without Vengeance/Carnarium I found myself without answers to the early game when the deck falls behind to establish the discard rhythm.

Definitely open to some suggestions, though. I'm currently out of rare WCs (:saddowns: ) so I can't do much crafting at the moment.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 13, 2019

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Try the W/B discard I posted. Kaya, Ashiok, Karn for Grafdigger's cage fucks up cats

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Syr Faren + Finale of Devastation with X=12 (pull Feasting Troll King) :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Is it better to buy mastery for Eldraine at this point, or wait to buy Theros mastery when it comes out? I have a pretty decent Eldraine collection already.