Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Played against a dude in draft with, rare chandra, uncommon chandra, drakuseth, omnath, risen reef, and what seems like all elementals, congrats on your draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

sephiRoth IRA posted:

Yeah, what is that Welcome Home mechanic?

Oh, itís just an activated ability theyíre calling welcome home. Is that any different than a standard ability?

it seems like it'd work like a split card

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I played some play anything games with mono green stompy it seems really hard to not have an absurd attack on like turn 4. But with pretty limited card advantage, I'm not super high on it. I did cruise my through 3 games against knights x2 and a calvalcade deck though.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

henge deck I've been running, modified from magic aids :

4x Pelt Collector
4x Growth Chamber Guardian
3x Barkhide Troll
2x Kraul Harpooner
2x Thrashing Brontodon
4x Love Struck Beast
1x Vivien, Champion of the Wilds
3x Yorvo Lord of Garenbrig
4x Questing Beast
2x Nullhide Ferox
2x Shifting Ceratops
1x Vivien, Arkbow Ranger
2x God Eternal Rhonas
2x The Great Henge
24x Forest

obviously, you could slot a playset of the castle in here for a slight improvement, but I'm not crafting them.

if you like turning giant dudes sideways it's pretty good

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I'm loving the moderately pervasive presence of fenlucker, cause nullhide ferox is a beating and a half on turn 2.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

So, after playing a ton of games with this deck, here's my mostly final list for mono G stompy.

4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
4 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
3 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
3 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig (ELD) 185
2 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
4 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger (M20) 199
3 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
23 Forest (XLN) 276

I went from gold 4 to diamond 4 last season, and gold 3 to platinum 1 this season so far with it, so a fairly decent number games, all BO1. It plays pretty well against the field. Your worst match ups are other henge decks, since they're just as beefy as you, but more tilted towards the midgame. Esper Dance is very good on the play and very bad on the draw. Everything else you're generally positive against, though not amazingly so. It's pretty good against simic flash and mono red. Tends to wreck fires decks pretty hard. If they stabilize, one hasty threat is probably enough to finish them off, which is generally true for a lot of decks looking to generate recurring value like cats or adventures. You're dropping so much beef every turn, that their value engines tend not to matter a whole lot. The myriad of decks looking to goose into Oko are a marginally bad match up on the draw, and a pretty decent match up on the play.

Kraul harpooner is very good in BO1 right now, shooting down geese, sailors, phoenixes, and whatever other nonsense fliers happen to be annoying in addition to randomly giving you a GG great henge.

Lovestruck Beast is super awkward, but I've slotted in a ton of different stuff, and can't find a better option. The very unimpressive case of 1 mana 1/1 and 3 mana 5/5 defender add up to more than the sum of their parts. Their versatility is extremely valuable, and occasionally they beat face. That 5/5 that can't attack may look super bad from your side of the board, but your opponent has to consider that you might drop a 1/1 into play at anytime.

The deck was running growth chamber guardian, but paradise druid allows for much more aggressive play, in place of the card advantage of guardian, and that's generally where you want to be in most marchups.

edit: oh yeah golos decks, pretty good? Their lack of early interaction plus a pretty aggressive load out with questing beast being a reckoning means you're generally favored on both the play and the draw.

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Oct 3, 2019

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

The thing about robber of the rich against stompy is most the time it's real bad, but occasionally they go robber, hit great henge, rotting register and yep gg's.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

flatluigi posted:

What's your sideboard with Viv?

The only two I've ever fetched are Rhonas and End-Raze Forerunners, but there's also another brontodon (though the new steelbane hydra is probably better here), a voracious hydra, and some other stuff that will never get fetched ever.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Huxley posted:

I prefer Bo1 because it's so aggro heavy. I'm just naturally an aggressive/proactive player and would prefer if every game I played was functionally decided in the first 6 turns. I even enjoy playing out the control side of the beatdown decks on the draw.

Like, I understand how going, "tapland, tapland, something that doesn't matter, whoops I'm dead" isn't a lot of people's idea of fun, but I can't figure out what people see in playing fidgety mid-range board stall decks that hope to side into answers.

Bo1 is more hostile to those types of decks, so that's what I play. I don't want to side into better cards for the matchup, I want to run 60 cards that put my foot on your throat starting with the first land drop.

Pretty much the same for me. I've also been playing magic forever, and it's just a super casual thing for me. I want like 2 decisions per game, not like an endless thought experiment. Too old for that poo poo.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

axeil posted:

Any good ideas for this weekend in terms of decks? I'm debating just saying screw it and doing Golos Field because it seems like it has no truly terrible matchups and in a bo1 format where you can only lose once you need to minimize having matchups where you just auto-lose.

I'll probably stick with mono green stompy since it's what I've been playing and know really well. Also, has a very good BO1 matchup against golos, which I assume will be popular.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

went 2-2 in the event with 3 muligans, but climbed from diamond 4 to diamond 2 with the rest of my daily wins.

I really love this stompy deck, reminds me of my first ptq deck back in like 90's.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

That stompy deck netted me a 4-1 in my first PTQ before landing a DCI suspension because apparently having the name "Level 6 Judge" wasn't kosher.

RIP 4 digit DCI number.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

1 win away from mythic, against mono red, at 17 life drop great henge. next 7 draws 6 forests and another great henge. Bad beats.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Heyoh! F2P mythic. Mono green stompy is pretty good BO1 right now. Good against golos, fires, mono red, mono black, gruul, sonic flash and adventures. Bad against mid range. Deck list is up thread.

When I say good, I mostly mean "at least favored" deck doesn't have any amazing matchups, but does turn in a pretty good performance against the field.

edit: follow up question, what does the number next to mythic mean. I'm #127, how is this determined?

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 7, 2019

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

So, after playing a ton of games with this deck, here's my mostly final list for mono G stompy.

4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
4 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
3 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
3 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig (ELD) 185
2 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
4 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger (M20) 199
3 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
23 Forest (XLN) 276

what's messed up is I actually own everything for golos fields except the realm cloaked giant, but find it miserable to play

edit: it's tuned very specifically for BO1, BO3 is anyone's guess

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I can not find it on google is mythic ranking based on win percentage or some esoteric formula?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

This list is SWEET and Iím cleaning up gold with a super bad version. I donít have any Wildborn Preservers so Iím just running more Domri, and I donít have Hellkites so Iím just running Cavalier of Thorns and an Ilharg and I am absolutely smashing every Field of the Dead deck and pretty much everything else, Iím like 10-2 so far.

For what it's worth, that deck loses super hard to my stompy deck, although I'm not entirely sure why. Mostly because great henge is busted , I think. Either way your matchups against durdly fields and fires are just as good, plus the simic flash matchup is better. I also don't have the cards for proper testing, but I assume like stompy you get outclassed by dedicated midrange decks (i.e. UG and bant ramp also there's an abzan midrange deck that I run into very occasionally that eats my face). What makes the gruul and stompy decks so good right now is that they can play both the aggro and midrange game competently, though actual midrange decks can still go over the top of you. At least for now though the meta has pushed dedicated midrange pretty far to the margins, so you mostly don't see your worst matchup.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

my first draft of eldraine, and I thought I had a pretty nutty adventures deck. 3 innkeepers, 2 lucky clovers, 2 bonecrusher giants, bunch of rim rock guys. Went 1-3. never drew an innkeeper.

I did come back from 3 days off to climb back into the top 100 of mythic though, so I can't be that bad of a player right? j/k I totally am.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Still playing stompy, still think it's probably the best Bo1 deck right now. It's very bad in Bo3, and I expect that a fields ban will hurt its standing in the meta pretty hard, but it was fun while it lasted.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

getting close to mythic with my very bad UW hate bears. Bo1, with 4x grafdiggers cage, drannith magistrate, lavinia. I don't care that it's bad. I am going to play some God drat fair magic.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

So, I lost like a million games in a row after laughing my rear end off with UW hate bears, and went back to the workshop. The new iteration isn't quite as jammed packed with hate for every situation, but it resembles an actual deck.

The main issue I was trying to solve was what to do with sideboard cards you don't need. Eventually I landed on Vraska, and in the 20 games or so I've played with the deck she does an excellent job. There's some more fine tuning to do, but I suspect a final list probably looks pretty close to this. It's still not a world beater, but it is very funny.

Free Win Abzan for BO1 arena:

3 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
3 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
3 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
3 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
4 Grafdigger's Cage (M20) 227
1 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman (ELD) 191
4 Hushbringer (ELD) 18
2 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
3 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
2 Stonecoil Serpent (ELD) 235
2 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
2 Kunoros, Hound of Athreos (THB) 222
2 Vivien, Monsters' Advocate (IKO) 175
4 Drannith Magistrate (IKO) 11
2 Heartless Act (IKO) 91
1 Hunted Nightmare (IKO) 92
3 Mythos of Nethroi (IKO) 97
4 Indatha Triome (IKO) 248
2 Plains (SLD) 63
3 Swamp (SLD) 65
3 Forest (SLD) 67

Gareth Gobulcoque fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 16, 2020

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Bugsy posted:

https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/zvim...of-senor-stompy

Was linked in the other magic thread but probably deserves a cross post. Has matchup details and sideboarding guides (don't) as well.

4 Barkhide Troll
4 Gemrazer
4 Gingerbrute
4 Lovestruck Beast
4 Pelt Collector
4 Stonecoil Serpent
4 Syr Faren, the Hengehammer
4 Questing Beast
3 Titanic Growth
4 Giant Growth
21 Forest

Sideboard
4 Thrash // Threat
4 Ram Through
4 Kraul Harpooner
3 Soul-Guide Lantern

Thanks for this! I've been on mono green most of this standard and was having trouble nailing it down post ikoria. Giant growth is kinda really good right now?

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I went from one win away from diamond to plat 3 after mulliganing from 1-2 lands in 11 straight games while playing real decks. then said gently caress it. Mono green ozolith till m21.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Billy Gnosis posted:

Maybe it's just rose tinted glasses but didn't reprints used to almost always have new art?

Not for core sets, generally reprints in new settings get new art to fit the flavor of the plane, but core set they just plug in whatever and whether a card gets new art or not is kinda just up to art budget.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Hit mythic with mono green tonight, but not the Zvi build that I started with last season. The zvi version is certainly explosive, but I like it a little more resilient. I tried a bunch of stuff in the two drop slot, but ultimately came back to paradise druid and kraul harpooner. Turn 3 Questing Beast is what I want to be doing, and I think mono green really wants 3 power on it's two drops that aren't paradise druid. I find the marginal upside of shooting down a guilded goose or healing hawk plus having more flying defense slightly better than barkhide troll. Syr faren just doesn't do it for me, and it's absolutely brutal against claim the firstborn. Rakdos sacrifice is already the worst match up (jund sacrifice weirdly the best though?). I only played BO1, not sure how much i like it for BO3.

22 Forest
4 Stonecoil Serpent
4 Giant Growth
4 Pelt Collector
4 Kraul Harpooner
4 Paradise Druid
4 Lovestruck Beast // Heart's Desire
3 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig
4 Gemrazer
4 Questing Beast
3 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Huxley posted:

I'm wondering if there's anything worth doing to that deck into Historic aside from swapping Druid for Elves. Is Steelleaf Champion better than Yorvo?

I've been thinking about this and I'm not sure. I need some rares and mythics for testing. Steel Leaf maybe slots in over lovestruck. Giant growth probably gets dropped for carnage tyrant and ghlata. Great henge is probably better than Vivien with the extra reach you get from historic? I don't know that I would drop paradise druid altogether. I'd probably play some number in addition to llanowar elves, but that's for testing.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Both games I played my opponent twice attacked into with obvious bad attacks and like you're tapped out and all your cards are land what are you hoping happens here? 3/4 beats 2/2? and then they both did it twice, wtf.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Big McHuge posted:

This deck was hilariously fun.
7-1

I either played against you or played against someone with almost the exact same deck. I went 4-3 with my Boros go wide deck that never drew a single copy of any of my team pumps.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I've given up on my more mid-rangey mono G, as the meta has solidified the dominance of rakdos sac, the decks worst match up, at least in BO1 means the winning percentage just isn't that great. You can kinda toil around the edges of top 1200 but it's miserable. Zvi's stompy is still absolutely fine though.

I've been toying around with mardu control in the unranked queues, as cry of the carnium and mythos of snapdrax provide pretty good game against all forms of catoven.

3 Blood Crypt
2 Fabled Passage
3 Godless Shrine
2 Mountain
3 Plains
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Savai Triome
3 Swamp
3 Agonizing Remorse
2 Heliod's Intervention
3 The Birth of Meletis
4 Bonecrusher Giant // Stomp
4 Cry of the Carnarium
3 Murderous Rider // Swift End
3 Chandra, Fire Artisan
3 Mythos of Snapdax
4 Elspeth Conquers Death
3 Chandra, Awakened Inferno
4 Yidaro, Wandering Monster

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

lol I just lost to a deck playing planeswalker deck ajani and his fetch card in top mythic, which actually seemed pretty sweet. Mad props brave warrior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I've been working on a very, very dumb cat deck that I've tuned as far as I can, and it's surprisingly competitive. Having access to 8 lords and a bunch of recursion is pretty good turns out. It's not gonna overturn the meta, but it'll get wins.

Companion
1 Kaheera, the Orphanguard

Deck
4 Charmed Stray
4 Bronzehide Lion
4 Leonin of the Lost Pride
2 Regal Leosaur
3 Kaheera, the Orphanguard
4 Feline Sovereign
3 Necropanther
2 Lurrus of the Dream-Den
3 Cubwarden