Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I just got into MTG Arena and am wondering what's a good way to get playing as many drafts as possible? I had some gold after completing the tutorial and jumped into the quick draft event going on but maybe that wasn't the wisest way to spend that because now I can't afford to enter.
Do I just slowly accumulate coin playing normally until I can afford the next draft thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
How does bot drafting even work? Does the bot just randomly pick cards from the packs?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Is the draft play also ranked by league level or do they throw in whoever queues at a time together?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Network42 posted:

Had a wacky draft, not sure if I'm building my final deck right, would appreciate any advice.

Is there a button to switch to this view somewhere? This seems much nicer than the default one.

I did a few Zendikar quick drafts this weekend and ended up with some similar blue or black/blue decks that didn't work well at all. On the other hand I played a deck that opened with two Brushfire elemental as their first two creatures so maybe I need to pick a bit better lmao

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Lone Goat posted:

And show us the decks!

OK here goes. I guess one big mistake is the Roiling Vortex I picked even though I didn't end up using it. Think it was p2p1. Anything I could switch out from what I have in the deck here? In general playing this deck I always felt a bit in the back foot, is that because I have too few decent cheap (1/2) creatures?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Lone Goat posted:

Don't forget that you can use Kazandu Stomper to pick up the MDFCs that you have in play and can then cast them.

Thanks for the all the advice, especially stuff like the quoted are subtle things I'll often overlook. How I end up drafting decks like this is that in the first 3-4 picks I don't see anything that stands out to me as particularly good and then just gravitate towards whatever colours I already picked. This gets better as I get to know the Zendikar cards more, but felt easier when playing Ikoria drafts (and much easier in cube draft as there's so much more awesome stuff).

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Today I saw during an attack that a lifelink on one creature caused my life to go over 25 and angel of vitality changed from 2/2 to 4/4 before attacking itself and then caused 4 damage. Is that normal? I kinda assumed that lifelink is only added after all damage has been dealt. Does that mean that creatures are attacking in a certain order? Can I influence that?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Jabor posted:

Did the lifelinking creature have First Strike?

I don't think so but maybe I overlooked something. Sounds like the most obvious solution.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

The Klowner posted:

znr trad draft is a land of wonders (e: fixed link)

(this is my most recent draft, where I finally got into a pretty good rogues deck (draft portion) in ZNR draft for the first time. I've been maintaining a high winrate for a while now and it feels fantastic to become good at a draft format, like seeing into the matrix)

At what point in this draft did you decide this was going to be rogues? Initially you just seem to pick blue stuff in general.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
In the below deck should I have put in Tuktuk rubblefort? This one feels like the best zendikar draft deck I got so far. Now just need to learn how to play better lol

https://www.17lands.com/deck/83608691d4d043098866af7ee0327b40/1

E: Also both times I got the planeswalker out they managed to kill it in their next turn. Should I be more defensive with the timing? I feel one of the two times it was def worth it getting the equipped warrior token out because I had the blademaster

elbkaida fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 31, 2020

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Agreed about the sizzling barrage, should have swapped that out after not doing anything with it in the first few matches.

Thanks for the detailed comments, that's very helpful. I did not put the 2+2 together with kitesail and blademaster, holy poo poo. That could have been awesome. Looks like I need to be a bit more careful with the later picks because I don't think about them as much as I should.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I haven't built a wizards deck before, need to give it a try when I next get the chance. Not too experienced with playing blue in general so should probably do a bit more of that for non-draft play.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Xik posted:

I'm new and trying to learn everything for the first time, it's quite a bit to take in but I'm having fun learning the systems and mechanics. I've finished the colour challenges, but not really sure what my next steps are...

Should I use the pre-built starter decks and just play randoms while I try unlock the other dual colour starter decks? I've redeemed all the codes that are on fan sites for some free boosters but other then that pretty much have no cards to build decks from. While I'm new do I spent all gold I get from quests and stuff on packs? If so, which ones?

You can use your starter decks to try and do the quests that come up. These will give you some more starter decks and some more gold+xp. With the xp/mastery levels you get new packs every now and then too. I would suggest doing this kind of stuff for a bit and just play some more games and see how things work.

I wouldn't look into buying any packs until you've got all the starter decks from quests and have a bit of an idea of what playing in the various modes is like.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Here's a Zendikar draft where I go red/black for the first time. Was picking cinderclasm here a really bad idea?
https://www.17lands.com/deck/5726f65d22804616a880802c061c75f3/1

The deck didn't really feel like it worked without Zagras in play, what could have helped? More resurrection stuff?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Still drafting Zendikar and uh... this one was really bad. In the first few picks I didn't see anything I liked so picked up some white clerics and some black stuff plus some red creatures. P2P1 I considered going Blue/Red wizards based on seeing Umara Mystic but I was worried because I had 0 cards for a wizard deck at the point. Should I have still made that switch?

Any suggestions for the below?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Here's the draft. I think the first two picks not recorded were Kor Celebrant and Thwart the grave. https://www.17lands.com/draft/91929b223404471bb3e25637867689d9

Any advice on what to cut from the deck I ended up with?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Jabor posted:

Given that you'd drafted almost entirely WB at that point, snap moving into UR at the start of pack 2 would have been an insanely terrible choice. I'm not even sure why you'd consider completely abandoning your pack 1 just based on opening a signpost uncommon in pack 2?

I'm trying to get an understanding of when it is too late to move into a completely different direction. How many useful cards from the first pack would you personally want to make a switch at that point. Maybe 2-3?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Gynovore posted:

You weren't going to maindeck those Disenchants... right?

I took them out after advice in here. I guess in zendikar limited there aren't very many artifacts or enchantments being used? Managed to go 4-3 on that deck with a bit of luck in the end.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Ani posted:

I've been having a rough go lately with ZNR draft, a format which I thought I understood. But somehow I went 7-0 with this GW landfall crap deck: https://www.17lands.com/draft/9b12b162775c4f95ae7acbe01a17d926 (quick draft)

You won the first match in 4 turns so it can't have been that bad surely? Also in quick draft you'll find terrible players like me :v:

Draft question of my own: I'm at P3P1 and going for blue/green kicker. I'm seeing master of winds, geysermage, kazandu stomper and might of murasa. Should I go for one of the kicker cards here (I have roost of drakes and a few wizards?
What's the proper use for master of winds, I feel like I'm not quite getting this card! Just having a potentially powerful flyer?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Wezlar posted:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/5b14d2e302ac4e7890170dedb7d5db10

There were a couple interesting decisions in this draft but mostly this is a brag about getting it all

That sure is a lot of uncommons and rares. Why did you leave the rockslide sorcerer out?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Lone Goat posted:

Because he doesn't have enough ways to trigger it. I'd probably want at least 12-13 instant/sorc/wiz in my deck to play Rockslide unless I'm scraping for playables, and his deck is def not scraping.

There's 11 such cards plus two packbeasts, I guess they also count in this case? Does the Rockslide become as good as say Sparkmage under this conditions or would Sparkmage still be better because it does more damage at once?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Card advantage is insane, especially raw drawing. Counters and removal are pretty good, and obviously mana efficiency is no longer a concern. Seems obvious but I've definitely played against people who had, like, 3/3s and 2/2s in their deck and there's really no need.

edit: to expand on counters being good: your (good) opponents will have nothing but good cards in their deck, and you don't have to worry about leaving mana up

Aren't you going to be stuck with a bunch of random garbage from the last few picks in a pack? Also how long do games normally last, seems like you'd more often then not have one player win on turn three or so? Wondering whether I should throw some of my precious few gems at this

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Ended up with a bit of an odd deck. https://www.17lands.com/deck/58e7cbe63e414773baf77699fc4c2faf

Should I cut out the last few green cards here to not have to worry about getting the mana balance right? It's a bit awkward when not having a second green to kick with while too much green might get in the way of playing blue stuff.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
The draft should be accesible from the link I posted. Is it not there? I had no real idea where to go. Was thinking blue/black rogues for a bit but didn't really go for it in the end.

The shell shields are mostly there to activate the risen riptide. Think I need to get a lot of mileage out of the riptide to do anything here?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Has anyone else had issues starting the 17lands logging program recently? It just dies for me when I try to open it.

Going to jump into M21 core drafting now, is the info in the guides like this one https://draftsim.com/core-set-2021-draft-guide/ still going to be roughly accurate? I.e. expect slightly bigger number of aggressive decks and focus on 2/3 drops?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Any suggestions for this deck? https://www.17lands.com/deck/9b383d5afbde437cad3a7f4c2f489f51/1 Looks like 17lands has spontaneously started working again. My first draft with M21 and I got run over twice early on so far, think I've not quite figured out how to use my stuff very well!

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
I can't decide what to put in my deck here. Should I add the Zombie and Ingeous Cur to have some more creatures around? Or more spells for the prowess creatures? Traitorous Greed in?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

thespaceinvader posted:

E: oh poo poo 17L does replays now? This is gonna be embarassing isn't it?

It doesn't show everything 100% right but it definitely is extremely annoying going back over a game and seeing a very clear misplay that makes you go yep that cost me the game right there!

elbkaida fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 21, 2021

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Goddamn it M21 drafts are kicking my rear end constantly man. Last game even having Baneslayer Angel and two Drowsing Tyrannodons in the starting hand wasn't enough to win :emo:

What's the gameplan against Seasoned Hallowblade? Do I try and race his attacks with similar power creatures and only occasionally block with weak creatures to stall?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Wezlar posted:

There isn't really a set strategy to deal with the Benslayer angel. It's one of the best cards in the format. You kind of just need to gauge what you have to do by the state of the game.

Also if you link the draft on 17 lands I'd be happy to take a look at the draft and games

https://www.17lands.com/history/0a5f776e3a37499d84b5d3308f72c42a/3/0 this is the game in question. I think the deck itself wasn't too bad this time round but I'm making too costly mistakes. Usually I can spot them but in this game I'm unsure what was the thing to do.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Lone Goat posted:

As mentioned earlier, all those blocks were absolutely hideous. Why would you block with Baneslayer Angel there? Like yeah you lose to a pump spell but if you get to untap you gain at least Nine life off Monstrous Growth and you can block with Tyranndon, and tap the Hallowblade forever with Celestial Enforcer.

By blocking, you don't have a way to ever deal with Hallowblade so you're consigned to just trade real creatures for random discarded cards and you're never going to win that way.

The deck needed work, too:

Warded Battlements is pretty terrible, it doesn't wake up your Drowsing Tyrannodons since they don't get the +1 bonus until after they're actually attacking.

Celestial Enforcer is basically a vanilla creature in your deck since you have so few fliers. You should prob have Skyscanner in your deck to help turn it on, which also does a fine job holding a Short Sword.

Blossoming Sands in the sideboard, why?

Skyway Sniper seems terrible since you're unlikely to have enough mana to kill even a 2/2 flier, but you're short on creatures and I don't want to bring in any more spells. I guess the next best creature is either the 4/3 artifact, or 2nd Celestial Enforcer?

Thanks for taking a look! Unfortunately the hallowblade was with counter so would deal fatal damage and I had to block it. If only I hadn't attacked the previous turn.

I wasn't sure about including skyscanner as it seems very weak with 1/1 and costs 3. Do you think that would be a better choice than including i.e. skyway sniper or another weak 1-drop?

I left out blossoming sands since many games I've had were fairly quick and it feels like being potentially slowed down by a tapland might be bad.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Ani posted:

If the 17lands replay is correct, you were at 6 life when the 5-power hallowblade attacked you - you could have taken it and gone to 1. As others have noted you die to a pump spell or just about anything else, but really the only way you're coming back in the game at that point is to keep your baneslayer angel alive so you should take the risk. On your turn you could have attacked with it and even pumped it with the titanic growth to gain more life, and after that you'll stay at a decent life total due to the lifelink.

There's a +1/+1 from glorious anthem that isn't showing up in the replay. Think the only way I survive is by not attacking in the previous turn.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Defeatist Elitist posted:

It cannot be done at instant speed in Limited in any realistic, consistent way.

You could still put it into foretell in your turn and keep one mana to cast it on the opponents next combat step right?

Edit: Just looked up the rules, nope can't do that.

elbkaida fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 26, 2021

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
So there is no quickdraft at all for the next two weeks? That sucks. I'm assuming the level of play in premium draft is going to be a bit higher in general, right? Have the feeling I want to stay away from that or I'll get rinsed.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah what luigi said, right now is when the knowledge gap is the smallest since everyone's evaluations are theoretical.

On top of that, we're very late in the month so most of the more skilled players are higher in rank. In December I was busy all month and was still in Gold rank by Xmas break and the opponents I was paired against had some truly awful decks, where at the beginning of January people in Gold looked like they knew what they were doing.

If you're still apprehensive about drafting a new set, Sealed Deck is available for a few weeks. It's a decent rate since 2000 gems gets you 9 boosters (6 for the event, 3 as prize) plus whatever gems you win. The payouts aren't stellar if you're trying to "go infinite"/chain wins into more events but they're decent if you're trying to build a collection. You're basically paying the price of 10 packs in the store to get 9 packs, plus gem prizes, plus the satisfaction of playing limited.

Just keep in mind that sealed is different than draft, and that Snow will be really hard to play since you'll barely get more than 6 snow lands.

I'm the end of the month gold player in this post :v:

I'm not apprehensive about drafting a new set at all, quite the opposite. It's just the premier draft payout for getting 0-2 wins sucks and about half my drafts fall into this range (all quickdrafts) so I'd be out of gems rather soon I think if the quality of players is same or better than quick draft.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
Played two Kaldheim drafts, both 0-3 :zombie: Think I better stick to quickdraft for now!

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

Wolfsbane posted:

Allow me to present to you one of the most absurdly badly played games I've ever seen. Opponent managed to take an absolutely unlosable position and turn it into a nailbiter by throwing away every advantage at every possible stage.

https://www.17lands.com/history/64392622464d49f4ac27e474c230df59/2/0

I still lost because that mythic is dumb as gently caress

What turn is the unlosable position and what would you have done differently there, I'm not quite seeing it. Is it the turn where he trades the Bloodsky Berserker against Komas Faithful?

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

InterrupterJones posted:

Alright friends, it's high time I got a "what to cut" assessment.

-I am thinking demonic gifts might get cut, but there are a lot of good etb effects so :shrug:
-Is there enough to validate splashing red? With the pathway and two fixer elves, I almost think Kardu's Vicious Return is worth considering.
-I've heard it said that In Search Of Greatness is not too good in constructed, and actively bad in limited, but I wonder if I'm insane for not including it in this deck?

What's the game plan for the deck going to be like? I'm not very good at this so just trying to understand how this deck is meant to win so I could have an idea what needs to be cut.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

InterrupterJones posted:

It's just aggro BG elves with removal. I guess the non elves are not necessary, but I've gotten good mileage out of Draugr Recruiter so far.

I see, at what point do you start playing graveyard spells with that, around turn 6/7 when you have all your initial stuff out?

I think my bad player opinion would be to cut King Haralds Revenge, Roots of Wisdom, 1x Demonic Gifts and maybe one of the 1-drops. The 1-drops seem quite bad tbh, wondering how many you could get away with cutting. Are they going to do much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!
That is a runed crown alright lmao