Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.

Bugsy posted:

Huh? I just started a game and alt tabbed while it was finding an opponent, and when I tabbed back as soon as a match was found I was given this screen.

I’ve only had that happen when I start a queue, realize I have to go do something, and spam “cancel search” to no avail for a minute solid and then it starts a match and gives a draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Bugsy posted:

Weird. I never hit cancel and it only took 10 - 15 seconds to find the match.

The person on the other end might have.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Hammer Bro. posted:

Nice, that seals it for me.

I maybe don't hit 15 wins ever week (though I maybe do) but I definitely hit 15 matches. Probably gets me in the close-enough range.

And lately I've been playing, gasp, for fun.

I don’t always hit 15 wins a week but I do clear pretty much every quest that comes up and I’m at 104 on the mastery pass. I won’t make it all the way to finishing but pretty close.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

How did everyone feel about Zendikar? I came back to magic at the tail end of Core 2021 after being more or less absent from magic for like 20 years. I thought Zendikar seemed like a pretty fun set overall and I had fun bot-drafting it (I’ll move up to the big leagues some day). I liked the party mechanic more than I thought I would.

edit: spelling

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 20, 2021

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Clerics and Rogues in ZR are very strong, cleric decks are obnoxiously synergistic where if they get even a few of the fuckers on the field you'll start seeing triggered effects ping-ponging back and forth constantly unless you wipe the board and unless that board wipe is a Shadow's Verdict, they're going to be plucking fuckers from the yard constantly.

I liked BW clerics quite a bit. Even made a deck for standard that might drag me through plat and into diamond finally!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Tricky Ed posted:

She's chaos dunking and no one can tell me otherwise.

The verboten dunk!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Opinionated posted:

For Zendikar the MDFC's are mostly great, not as into party. I feel it's a somewhat weak mechanic when compared to landfall or adventures. It takes a lot to get a decent payoff, most of the "full party" payoffs seem weak for the amount of setup. I never was able to get much of a party going in limited either so that adds to my negative opinion~

I only ever had one full party big time payoff and it was with Squad Commander and I didn’t even notice that all my dudes were indestructible and it won me the game. Felt pretty good. Otherwise I maybe had one or two full party Malakir Blood Priests. I’m sure all of these were thanks to Stonework Packbeast.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Wezlar posted:

Party payoffs in limited are amazing and it is basically the best strategy when you aren't the only person at the table in a tribe (kicker is a tribe)

Edit: I guess I can see being disappointed if you wanted Full Party to happen a lot but it was a really good limited mechanic that was good in terms of drafting decisions and also good gameplay

Oh yeah I liked it, I just never pulled off full party much, which was totally expected. I thought it was a cool secondary synergy option if you missed on having like all warriors in the RW deck or are short on clerics in BW as well.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

E. Revenant posted:

This standard has the best variety of decks. You have Esper Yorion, Azorious Yorion, Mardu Yorion, Bant Yorion, Mono blue Yorion, Mono green food Yorion, Mono White Yorion, Esper Ugin, Azorious Ugin, Grixis Ugin, Mardu Ugin, Sultai Ugin, Mono Black ugin, mono red ugin mono withei ugin mone blue guine mone greem ugine mone borone uging

and Gruul Adventures.

If you make bad decks like me you don’t have to play against those very often!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

You could just play magic because you enjoy the gameplay and the drafting experience, if you have no intentions of going pro and becoming a grinder than just deleting your tracker will fix a lot.

I like drafting a lot (I mostly do bot drafts) and I feel like I would enjoy it a lot less after being constantly reminded how bad I am at it.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Rakdos Avatar
No Pet. I’m hard like that.
Tattoo sleeve is base but I use a variety.
Bob Ross lands

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I do love that original art on the back of the cards. I never used sleeves on my paper cards. It took me a while before I put on some sleeves in arena.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Kurieg posted:

green black 1/2 drops, Lurrus as your companion. reanimation and kill spells to taste. Blend until your opponent ragequits.

This sounded pretty funny so I tried it out. I'm sure this deck could be much better but it does lead to a lot of early concedes!

Companion
1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226

Deck
7 Forest (SLD) 108
2 Typhoid Rats (ANB) 63
3 Boot Nipper (IKO) 76
3 Tajuru Blightblade (ZNR) 208
10 Swamp (SLD) 105
2 Fynn, the Fangbearer (KHM) 170
3 Mire Triton (THB) 105
1 Fetid Imp (M21) 98
4 Bloodchief's Thirst (ZNR) 94
1 Malakir Rebirth (ZNR) 111
2 Omen of the Dead (THB) 110
2 Heartless Act (IKO) 91
4 Ram Through (IKO) 170
1 Mire Triton (JMP) 257
1 Chevill, Bane of Monsters (IKO) 181
2 Darkbore Pathway (KHM) 254
2 Jungle Hollow (M20) 248
2 Serrated Scorpion (IKO) 99
2 Feed the Swarm (ZNR) 102
1 Moss-Pit Skeleton (ZNR) 228
3 Foulmire Knight (ELD) 90
2 Order of Midnight (ELD) 99

Sideboard
1 Lurrus of the Dream-Den (IKO) 226

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

fadam posted:

Gotta say, I'm usually not much of a limited guy (too dumb, sweaty) but I'm having a blast with this format. Might become a 17lands poster...

I’m the opposite. Limited is easier for me because I’m working with less variables. It’s hard for me to wrap my brain around all of the options available in the other formats. Also, it kind of scratches a gambling itch.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

fadam posted:

Yeah I agree actually, the hair bothers me a lot less in the art for that.

A non-binary jock PW sounds cool I just wish they looked cooler and their card wasn't so bad.

I like where they were going with it but I think failed a bit on their artistic execution. They definitely look like a tool.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

fadam posted:

The easy and lore appropriate fix is to have Niko wear a football helmet for now on.

And also, whenever Niko is not in a game, all cards should say “Where’s Niko?”

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

After checking out the Lords of Limited podcast (which is fantastic) I’ve been checking out Limited Resources as well and it’s really helpful too. Also drat Marshall has a radio voice.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Mezzanon posted:

Wow I am painfully loving bad at this limited format

Yup. I did my first draft and it was embarrassing. 0-3

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I know it’s good because I’m bad at it.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

3 days without power, finally comes back on and ready to jam on some limited. gently caress you hand smoother, gently caress you. Stupid variance.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

First time I've drafted UR, help me out with some cuts please?

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

little munchkin posted:

in descending order of badness

smashing sucess
replicating ring
undersea invader
brinebarrow intruder
frostpeak yeti
draugr thought-theif
breakneck berserker

then cut a kinseeker for run ashore imo because run ashore is really good and you have plenty of other 4-drops

Thanks! I've been doing my research but this set has still been a struggle for me.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Kampfy Von Wafflehaus posted:

So Seasoned Halloblade is just difficult to remove right? Also why can you can attack with it and still tap it to give it indestructible? This seems different from back when I played with actual cards.

It doesn’t tap to activate that ability it taps as a consequence of using the ability.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

SalTheBard posted:

Nizzahon has the most relaxing voice imaginable.

I watch his draft VODs before I go to sleep to relax. He’s super-chill and a nice guy.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

ex post facho posted:

considering another drunk KHM draft

i need closure.

Also, dipped my toes into brawl for the first time. Made a quick Halvar deck went 3-1 (2 instant concedes). Then tried out a Zagras deck and a Magda deck. The Magda one was funny when I got paired up against a Sarulf, Realm Eater and I didn't realize using my treasure tokens would make him big. Oops! Fun format though.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

To be honest I like it when streamers have a minimal overlay if any at all. If you have a cam, put your face in the bottom right corner. Everywhere else obscures too much!

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

I'm 12-2 with this Dwarves list in brawl, it's extremely fast and i'm 6-0 against Esika even when they get to bridge, but seriously folks, think for a second and don't fill your 5-color esika decks with lotus Cobras and carytids and Dryads, lol

Commander
1 Magda, Brazen Outlaw (KHM) 142

Deck
1 Dwarven Mine (ELD) 243
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
1 Axgard Cavalry (KHM) 121
1 Valakut Awakening (ZNR) 174
1 Fearless Liberator (KHM) 135
1 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
7 Seven Dwarves (ELD) 141
1 Vault Robber (KHM) 158
1 Dwarven Hammer (KHM) 133
1 Breakneck Berserker (KHM) 124
1 Dwarven Reinforcements (KHM) 134
1 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147
1 Faceless Haven (KHM) 255
1 Maskwood Nexus (KHM) 240
1 Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge (M21) 146
1 Seize the Spoils (KHM) 149
1 Goldspan Dragon (KHM) 139
1 Goldvein Pick (KHM) 239
1 Embercleave (ELD) 120
1 Heraldic Banner (ELD) 222
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Terror of Mount Velus (THB) 295
1 Terror of the Peaks (M21) 164
1 Leyline Tyrant (ZNR) 147
1 Scorching Dragonfire (M21) 158
1 Frost Bite (KHM) 138
1 Redcap Melee (ELD) 135
1 Spikefield Hazard (ZNR) 166
1 Fire Prophecy (IKO) 116
1 Moraug, Fury of Akoum (ZNR) 150
1 Sundering Stroke (ELD) 144
1 Fiery Emancipation (M21) 143
17 Snow-Covered Mountain (MH1) 253
1 Shatterskull Smashing (ZNR) 161
1 Birgi, God of Storytelling (KHM) 123
1 Gilded Assault Cart (KHM) 390
1 Roil Eruption (ZNR) 155

Don't hoarde treasure unless you're absolutely certain you'd be playing into a board wipe. if they don't have anything to pressure you back just dump your hand.

I've been running this version of Magda and its pretty similar and pretty darn fun. You're absolutely right about spending those treasures. You can go wide so fast. This is the first deck I've ever used Seven Dwarves in and its pretty funny.
Commander
1 Magda, Brazen Outlaw (KHM) 142

Deck
1 Shock (ANB) 84
1 Volcanic Dragon (ANB) 88
1 Dragonkin Berserker (KHM) 131
1 Shatterskull Smashing (ZNR) 161
1 Heraldic Banner (ELD) 222
1 Tome of Legends (ELD) 332
1 Mazemind Tome (M21) 232
1 Field of Ruin (THB) 242
1 Vault Robber (KHM) 158
1 Seize the Spoils (KHM) 149
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Dwarven Hammer (KHM) 133
1 Soul Sear (M21) 160
1 Fire Prophecy (IKO) 116
1 Embereth Shieldbreaker (ELD) 122
1 Spikefield Hazard (ZNR) 166
1 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
1 Dwarven Mine (ELD) 243
7 Seven Dwarves (ELD) 141
22 Mountain (SLD) 106
1 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147
1 Scorching Dragonfire (JMP) 139
1 Gadrak, the Crown-Scourge (M21) 146
1 Hellkite Punisher (M21) 151
1 Leyline Tyrant (ZNR) 147
1 Terror of the Peaks (M21) 164
1 Goldspan Dragon (KHM) 139
1 Terror of Mount Velus (THB) 295
1 Siege Dragon (ANB) 85
1 Gilded Assault Cart (KHM) 390
1 Bearded Axe (KHM) 388
1 Opportunistic Dragon (ELD) 133

I think I might grab Birgi, snow lands, and frostbite and throw those in there.

edit: Oh yeah, I finally got around to crafting that Toski deck you posted a few weeks back. It's hilarious when it goes off.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Mar 6, 2021

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Is 4 snow lands enough to run Priest of the Haunted Edge? I haven't quite mastered figuring out the appropriate levels of snow mana.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Cool, thanks for the enlightenment everyone! My brain is a bit too smooth for this set but it’s really fun to draft.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I’ve played ISoG in every format on Arena and I’ve literally never had it trigger one time. It’s just a Scry 1, unplayable trash

It is bad. Someone played it against me yesterday and I just left it out there for over 5 turns not bothering to waste the Feed the Swarm sitting in my hand the entire time.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Gynovore posted:

Jumpstart was a fun idea but terrible execution. Every single Jumpstart booster would have been improved by cutting the two shittiest cards and replacing them with basics.

Jumpstart was active when I first started playing Arena. I definitely spent all my gems from my starter pack and gold too on the mash two decks together thing. It was kinda fun gambling but I definitely spent too much of my currency on it. Never bought any of the boosters.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

I’m so bad at evaluating draft decks I thought this was an 0-3 pile but I went 0-2 and won straight 7 afterwords pretty easily?? I’m in plat so maybe not the greatest players but I didn’t feel like anyone I played punted.

Did you ever bust out Icebreaker Kraken? I still haven’t seen it played.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I’ve been playing on my iPad since last night and it does chug a little at times but it actually runs well and I’m pretty darn impressed. There’s definitely some stuff to iron out but I was expecting it to be way buggier.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

The Klowner posted:

same, but I've been playing mtg continuously for almost the past two years lol. The best tip I ever received was to force myself to spend 10 seconds at the start of my turn re-reading every card on the board and in my hand. Information is power friendo

also, surely you mean Lightning Axe? I don't believe lightning bolt was printed in any of the past three core sets

I can't tell you how many times I've looked at my hand and literally said to myself "If I play this tap land the first turn, I will curve out and run away with this game!" and then just play a regular mana and end up effectively a turn behind.

edit:

Holy poo poo.

imagine dungeons fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Apr 1, 2021

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

So Eldraine draft is pretty much just different kinds of knight tribal decks, huh? Ok, then.

The Mardu colors are all knights, yeah.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

little munchkin posted:

Rogues is a genuinely good deck and not what I'm describing. I'm more talking about teferi's tutelage, turbofog, stuff like that

Usually I’m happy to see those decks as they aren’t a problem but I ran into one on my mono-u fliers/draw cards deck yesterday and boy was that was awful.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I got the mastery pass pre-order thing. Is there a discord I can go to for advice so I don't waste my draft and sealed tokens by pissing directly on my own face?

I know Lords of Limited has a discord but you might need to be a patron to access that. For other resources there are the Lords of Limited or Limited Resources podcasts that have an overview of some cards/themes.

Also helpful is Nizzahon’s Strixhaven Archetype guide on YouTube because that one just gives you a breakdown of how the color pairs synergize and what they’re intended to do together.

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Help me figure out what I'm doing wrong, please.

I'm playing mono black auras and have 3 mana up with 2 Village Rights and a Malakir Rebirth in my hand I have a Hateful Eidolon, Lurrus, and a Mire Triton in play and the opponent has an empty board and some mana. On their turn they drop an Ugin and waste all of my creatures but I never got priority to cast my Village Rights or Malakir Rebirth on my creatures before they were killed. Do I have to go full control to do this? When do I do that? As soon as Ugin hits the board?

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

I must be accidentally passing priority. Probably just need to slow down. Thanks for the responses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Relin posted:

it's weird that i went from bronze to plat 4 bo1 without playing against a single meta deck, but going back to play mode it's rogues/mono red/yorion cancer decks

I’m just happy to play against any deck that doesn’t have Ugin in it. gently caress that card.