Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1168992065994334208

for reference, the non-showcase border vs this showcase border from a few weeks back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I mean speculation about what it means is part of the whole thing of revealing cards like this

here's another one:

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1169022264182038531

I'm hoping it's something like a once-per-turn activated ability and not just a creature//spell split card

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zyla posted:

dunno why but from teh card it looks like you can only cast the spell if the card is on the battlefield, also its most likely repeatably cast. think of it like a sorcery card held by the creature its printed on, once it dies it goes

this felt more of the case when the sorcery wasn't 'pay G for a 1/1 token'

edit: five more cards from LRR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJuYXkuW8Q4

flatluigi fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 4, 2019

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
these brawl decks are really fun

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Bedurndurn posted:

So the next core set is for people who like Teferi? If so, they should take advantage of this database to mail out all the promotional material for it.

did this joke make sense in your head

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can we not do reddit crossposts

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Zyla posted:

does anyone else super not care about historic?

I'm glad it exists but I'm definitely getting tired of seeing the same decks and cards that we've seen for basically the full length of Arena and I wasn't really going to touch it until I got bored of post-rotation Standard (and/or if it gets shaken up at all by new cards)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

MikeCrotch posted:

Ugh not a fan of Brawl so far, seems to be like limited but all the cards are nonsense. Doesn't feel like a very satisfying game experience so far.

Also is the pro play in Brawl/Commander to nuke your opponents commanders ASAP or their other creatures? Obviously dealing with the synergy of their commander seems good but ultimately they can replay it, so i'm not sure if there's ever much point?

you will be able to build your own brawl decks, dude, this is just promotional with the preconstructed decks

also if you kill their commander they have to pay increasingly more to replay it and this can really choke people out of the game early if you can clear it right away

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there'll be events where you can grind xp through consecutive wins so you'll be able to max out with effort no matter what

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Spiderdrake posted:

Hmm I think it's in the official channels when discussing eldraine but looking at the most recent stuff it says "october hopefully"

Be kinda weird to do all this coding and not ship the queue though but this is a wizards of the coast production

the reveal stream said brawl would go live in heroic yes

turns out they prioritized it at some point over the year+ since that quote that person screencapped and posted

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I can't imagine the UI they'd have to do for a 4 player game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I've got a lot of Wild cards built up from the last time I played. Should I hold out for the rotation to figure out a deck to try and craft or would it be better to grab something kind of meta-y now?

you'll be able to use your wildcards at 1:1 through november for historic cards iirc so if you really want to craft anything that's rotating it can still wait for post-rotation (and after you've put together whatever you want for standard)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah I think the fact that they're holding events that give away playsets of all the new-to-historic cards has gone seriously overlooked, whether intentionally or not. if you're an established player already there's nothing specifically targeted at loving you over

of course it's going to be annoying for new players that want to get into historic instead of standard, but the doubled wildcards are meant specifically as a deterrent for exactly those players so I can't say it's not working

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
you're mistaking not buying into end-of-the-world reddit conspiracy theories for being naïve

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
like realistically someone at wizards went 'we need to find some way to disincentivize players eventually sitting on their established historic collection and only playing historic and not caring about the 99% of new cards that won't fit into the decks they've already built' after a long history of seeing established paper players behave the same way

I really don't think it's not a problem they'd eventually want to fix, even if it'd realistically not be a problem until next year's rotation at least, imo. making the decision early probably has some benefits, though? like, I could see them thinking it'd lead to less uproar then having a year with 'regular' wildcard prices and changing it that long into historic's lifespan

honestly my money was on them going with historic-only wildcards and combined every-historic-set packs or something like that so being able to use regular wildcards was already more than I expected

edit:

Sinteres posted:

Thinking a f2p game is treating the player base badly to squeeze extra money out of them isn't really a conspiracy, it's just the way the world works. If people are as pissed as they say they are, they should probably quit the game, because even if Wizards climbs down a step on this issue, there's plenty of reason to think there's always going to be a next thing to get pissed about. I mean some of the people saying Wizards was anchoring to get people to accept a slightly less bad version of this down the road were saying it as a defense of this, but so far we have no indication that it's going to change, so the thing Wizards defenders thought was too bad to actually be real might stick.

you're really softening the sort of rhetoric people are having about the wildcard issue, which has included 'they timed eldraine spoiler season as a distraction!' alongside the sort of stuff salt shakeup is saying

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
glad to see you still have that weird vendetta against me, No Wave

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

They said you'd get the new cards for the price of the entry fee to the historic event, so I bet they'll cost a decent amount of gems.

I doubt it'll be gem-only unless they want even more uproar

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Got pretty frustrated today at ladder -- what's a good deck to mess with that has a good matchup against the fast elemental builds without completely falling over at scapeshift? I brought out Grixis Control for a while but all the decks were going fast enough to go under soot/cry & all my legion's ends weren't working on the risen reefs despite them always landing on turn 2

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SalTheBard posted:

So existing players wont' have access to the ToE NPE Decks?

existing players are getting them on patch day

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SalTheBard posted:

Oh gently caress yeah! Thats cool.

EDIT: Whats the best Arena overlay? I would like one that shows my deck, but also has state tracking. I used untapped.gg but it doesn't seem to have state tracking (at least that I can see)

I don't know what you mean by state tracking but untapped.gg is the best by far

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SalTheBard posted:

Excuse the typo...I meant STAT tracking (win rate with a particular deck)

it is in fact doing that in closed beta right now (and it owns)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
historic is still going to get new cards -- and it should because there's gonna be decks that overtake the format to a large degree and there's not really a better way to fix that than by releasing cards that help curb those decks

printing them in regular sets is a no-go for a few reasons, primarily that regular sets have several years of leadup in development time + there are just going to be cards too strong for standard that fit better in an extended format

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

axeil posted:

15-20 random cards was a really bad way to do it. I hope they implement the backwards fill where they add old sets not in Arena starting with the most recent. That's a much more reasonable way to add cards.

they're still adding new cards, and also adding entire sets to historic at a time would gently caress up historic a hell of a lot more than a small curated list every few months

quote:

NEW HISTORIC CARDS
We will start to add new cards to Historic in November. We’ll be thinking through what the right target of cards to add is and how players can acquire these new cards. These cards will be added to the game differently than cards in Standard, but we’re still working on exactly how to do that.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
it is also a truth in every single card game that people are extremely bad at card evaluation before a set is actually in people's hands

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

GimmickMan posted:

It's not just weeklies. It's weeklies and dailies.

incorrect

quote:

HISTORIC PLAY QUEUE
A best-of-one Historic Play Queue will be added to MTG Arena on September 26 and will be a way to play Historic that is always available. You will be able to complete daily quests for the Historic Play Queue. This play queue will not progress a player's daily or weekly win rewards. Players can earn daily and weekly win rewards through Historic Events and Ranked Historic events when available.

the win 15 games weekly and the gold/ICRs for daily wins won't get progressed, but you can still do the big 500g/750g+XP daily quests in historic

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Waffleopolis posted:

This feels strong enough to keep 1-2 copies of in an aggro deck. The possibilities for this are good. Turn 3 Drakuseth, early equip of a Colossus Hammer, having 2 green usable to make a 7/8 Voracious Hydra to kill something or make it 14/15. IF there's no answers to any of these the game is pretty much over.

really makes me want to make a big spells deck again tbh

banefire rotates though

edit: right, you're not getting the electrodominance cheat oops

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Spiderdrake posted:

Expansion/Explosion is the card you're looking for, or any finale except the red one which is pretty funny.

oh hey expansion does work on irencrag huh

I was remembering it being 3 cmc or less not 4 or less

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Spiderdrake posted:

Huh I guess you've already cast the Feat before Expansioning it, and then still have one more to cast after?

I'll probably do this in Niv brawl or something really stupid.

i feel like it might be too inconsistent in singleton to ramp that hard so early, but also i'm absolutely making a big spells niv brawl deck with thousand year storm in it now that you mention it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi posted:

oh hey expansion does work on irencrag huh

I was remembering it being 3 cmc or less not 4 or less

so, who's a judge?

cast irencrag feat. in response, cast expansion copying irencrag feat. a copy of irencrag feat goes on the stack. can you cast another spell that turn?

the way my friends and I think it works is that at first it seems like you can, since copies aren't cast. then, it seems like you can't, since the copy says 'you can only cast one more spell' and it'll count the original irencrag as that spell. however, given that you've already cast both irencrags and are just resolving them, neither of them count as a spell you've cast after either irencrag resolved

it's some fun thinking though

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

qbert posted:

I'm not a judge but I think you can copy and still cast another spell afterwards. Like you said the restriction doesn't go into effect until after the copy resolves. The original on the stack has already been cast, it's just resolving now so you haven't used up your additional cast for the turn.

Bust Rodd posted:

That’s not how it works. The copy won’t see you cast the original, the original is cast, you copy it when it’s on the stack, then they both resolve and you get 14 red mana. I’m like 95% on that.

I probably worded it badly (phone typing!) but that is basically what we ended up agreeing on

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

As someone at level 95 now, who should be able to hit 100 by the end, this poo poo kind of sucks and I think this is the last time I buy the pass unless they revamp it

they've already said things are changing with the next one, having acknowledged that buying levels was a mistake and that their original intent to not have the average player max out was way off base

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Arglebargle III posted:

Should I spend wildcards on Field of the Dead or do you think it's going to eat a ban?

with scapeshift rotating out it's probably not bannable

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Cheen posted:

the standard 2020 with cavalcade and rakdos is consistently fast- change my mind

There's an entire set of cards that aren't in the event

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
spoilers: it's mythic because of lucky clover shenanigans

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

graveportents posted:

I was considering jumping back in after about 8 months so I took a look at the current meta snapshot which appears to have changed very little. Does RDW just eternally dominate?

it is literally changing next week with the set rotations

edit: also what meta snapshot are you even talking about

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

that website is ranking it by number of games played across all ranked and unranked games, bo1 and bo3

it also hasn't updated its autodetected archetypes in forever and doesn't have any scapeshift decks listed, for example

so, no

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
yeah, for now you should look at paper statistics for what's actually Good. I have high hopes for untapped.gg when they get established enough to spin up their data collection for Arena (they're the people behind HSReplay for hearthstone), but just about everything out there you see for arena specifically is going to be pretty flawed from a combination of lack of data and lack of analysis

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://twitter.com/UntappedGG/status/1174729600376692736

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
how did they not cap it out if they were playing every day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
they said you get the cards without any vault progress or gems weeks ago? you might've missed it amongst the wildcard complainings