Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So it looks like you cast the creature and then the creature tells a story so I’m assuming it’s just a weird frame instead of taking over the whole text box to explain how it works. The only question is whether or not the creature can read the page or whatever when it’s summoning sick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah this set is gonna be real, real dumb

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I don’t think the effect is repeatable, because flavorwise it makes no sense for there to be 6/9/12 bears or more than one Belle.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
What we’ve never had a whole set leak a month in advance before have we?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Injecting good cards into Historic is the only thing keeping it from being Super-Vampires vs Super-Dinos vs RDW vs Azcanta Esper forever and ever

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

MikeCrotch posted:

Also hope people are ready for a lot of Yarok and Feather in Brawl!

I’ve got both built ready and rarin to go!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

kanonvandekempen posted:

Is anyone having payment issues?

I couldn't preorder the next set of cards from some reason, not through paypal or directly with my credit card. Ordering gems worked without issues.

Uh you cannot buy cards directly for money on MTGArena

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They 100% already said they were doing that

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The only way we’d ever see WotC reprint anything on the reserved list is if they gave us a multiple year heads up. Like in 2020 they announced “were dissolving the reserved list and were gonna reprint duals... starting in 2022” or something. Anything short of that would cause digital rioting and the secondary market would be so annihilated so completely that everything would get way, way worse.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fadam posted:

Jesus did I gently caress your wife or something why are you behaving like a crazy person?

Going out on a limb to suggest that you’ve never hosed ANYBODY’s wife.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Shooting Blanks posted:

This. A great opening hand is 3 plains (or other untapped white), Ajani's Welcome, Bishop of Wings, and a Resplendent Angel. If you can't kill the Bishop or Angel before the end of T3, they now have a free 4/4 flyer coming every single turn or until you kill one. There are other hands that are nearly as ugly, but I've run into that exact T1-T3 at least 4 times.

Literally every deck is good if the opponent has no removal or disruption before T4. Consider mulliganning to interaction more aggressively?

I had to Hurricane Evac for most of the week so I’m late to the brawl challenge and I’m a bit concerned by the deck construction. Why does the Bant colored ramp Commander have 15 Ramp cards in the deck but the 6 mana Mardu Commander has no ramp cards? You can play entirely too many games of Mardu knights without ever hitting 6 mana, that’s really bad. These decks feel like precons designed by people who just started playing Commander and not by people who understand how Singleton formats should work.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Chulane one seems perfectly fine, the faerie one is like 4-5 cards from being good, the Knights deck is basically a pile of Draft Chaff and it really shows.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People scoop to literally anything in Casual, it’s why I exclusively play ranked.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Griffball posted:

I don't know the names of any cards and usually only play casual, dipped my toes into ranked, first game I played I came up against a deck that could just replay a "take no damage this turn" card over and over, and had no way to deal with his artifact that untapped everything until he drew his entire deck and for some reason I died instead of him? I think I'll stick to casual.

Yeah the game is probably pretty hard if you don’t read the cards and don’t know what they do

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Griffball posted:

That would have done it, in my defence it was an half hour long game where he was running the timer every turn, and that was like his fouth planeswalker on the board. I'd like to know what someone is doing playing a deck like that at the lowest rank.

practicing, trying it out before taking it to play in the ranked queues, playing on a friend's account

The idea that Casual Queue is only for bad decks with no rares is a fallacy.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SageNytell posted:

I guess I'll have to build bad, timing out constructed decks manually to get my dinosaur/pirate fix, then. :(

Maybe Historical will have some kind of options for people who play suboptimally, like me. I can dream.

Historic will not be competitively supported, so it’s more likely that it will be the Arena equivalent of sitting at the kitchen table and playing whatever you want.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We’re 100% not getting Elvish Mystic in Eldraine. They want Grazer in that slot

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL at crafting 4 Nexus now

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
LoL I can’t imaging losing 5 games in a row and not wanting to go do something else.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Why wouldn’t you when generating 4-8 power is free and happens 1-3 times a turn?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Beast Weasel is a completely insane magical card

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The strategy for Bo3 is play a good deck and sideboard appropriately

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yo this Yarok/Dread Presence deck is loving super sick nasty, and I think i'm gonna squeeze some Murder Knights and Beast Weasels in here bruh cuz Dread presence is GROSS

EDIT: also there is going to be a "Rise!" leavening bread pun based green uncommon in the set that makes all food into 1/1's until the end of turn, mark my words

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 10, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
^^yeah it’s that deck but I don’t have Vraska, so I put a Cavalier of Thorns in there and will 100% be jamming a Garruk in that slot because I’m convinced that Emblem is cheap enough to be relevant.

Subout Llanowar Elf for Arbor sloth or whatever, the Reach is very relevant.

I also run 2-3 Find/Finale. The Neoform is an incredible package and Dread Presence is super fun to play with.

I literally just won my cat wings by defeating a Grixis player with literal zero cards in my library, going over the top of his Kefnet with Yarok and a single swamp for the last 4 damage. Insanely satisfying.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Waffleopolis posted:

New card from ReiderRabbit

Ppl who play Modern and Legacy are going nuts for it. I know little about those formats to see why.

Because he blinks Stoneforge Mystic.

Also the flavor of the handsome prince taking your best creature to gently caress for a second and then coming back to the battlefield real real quick is fuckin aces.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Right but blink spells are bad cards a lot of the time, if you aren’t already ahead then you need stars to align to get value. Prince is good as a 2-drop on curve and seems to have gas in the tank at every stage of the game... and stoneforge mystic just got unbanned so...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's ten 1-1 events so far and I am building with rage, 0-1s would be better because I wouldn't feel like I'm wasting my time

Seriously for your own mental health just play Cavalcade or you’re gonna end up in the drunk tank

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Nah I’m coming around to Golos himself being the strongest thing you could be doing in Standard ATM and really excited to see how he develops in Eldraine

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I’m slaughtering games with Sultai Dread, the deck is real. If you live long enough to resolve a Hydroid Krasis they probably just die right away and sometimes you open with a Legion’s end and it bodies them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m with the goon who just said “farm S2020 for ranked”

It’s literally standard without Nexus, Scapeshift, or Big Teferi... ie a very good format.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Uh so I've been trying to build a new deck for like 20 minutes but Arena just CTDs everytime I add anything to my sideboard. 4 times in a row now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Mulligan timer is insanely way too long

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Honestly surprised to not see Sultai Yarok on that list. I’m serious you guys the deck and it’s engines are all extremely fire.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
That Knight is loving sweet

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I remain skeptical that Mono-Red will be that scary in a block whose main mechanic is lifegain

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Goose is definitely constructed playable

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly after spending a few days with the deck the 0/3 reach body seems extremely relevant so I’m expecting Goose will slot in very nicely.

The deck also seems extremely draw dependent. I only run 24 lands and I’ve lost soooooo many games during this event where I’m fine if I draw basically 1 of like 10 cards in my deck but if it isn’t one of those 10 you’re doomed. There are lots of games where you’ll untap with 15 mana and basically nothing to do with it, and drawing a single Krasis would definitely win you the game on the spot.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Sep 12, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Stangg posted:

I'm not sure what it's relevant for, it doesn't trade, I would rather have something that could trade if needed, it is nice cavalier fodder though. Albeit I've only played 14 games with it so far, I haven't lost a single one of them though.

Blocking an 11/3 Flying Chandra’s Spitfire has been the difference between me winning vs Cavalcade and me losing vs Cavalcade a lot.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Sep 12, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/jay13x/status/1172159815394693120?s=21

Is Kaya originally from Eldraine? She could be related to the queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Kjermzs posted:

What makes you think that? Besides, you know, that Kaya is black?

1st of all, you have no way of knowing this, but when you suggest to me, a mixed race person, that I assume all black people are related, you're being kind of racist.

2nd of all, not all black people have Afros, but Kaya and the Queen both do. Notice how I didn't ask if she was related to Teferi?

Slow your roll next time you have a brilliant point to make, dude.

Kaya's wiki says her homeplane is as of yet unnamed.