Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I just met some brave soul playing petitioners in the ranked 2020 queue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like how they are giving the fblthp avatar to players by emailing out codes that you copy-paste into the game.

Very good system.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

I had no idea there even was a second Oko.

He is a special planeswalker-deck-only card that is designed specifically to be bad and unplayable.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to take a moment here to appreciate the bo1 standard event queue.

Unlike the ranked and unraked bo1 queues, people play fun and unique decks in standard event and I don't have a 50% chance to get matched against mono-red cavalcade.

In my past dozen games I have seen cool stuff such as:
* A cool jeskai deck with smothering tithe and mirrormade that is used to get a bunch of smothering tithes up, then a thousand year storm for a finisher to spend all the treasure tokens.
* A couple different variations of dimir mill.
* A bunch of midrangey piles that I don't understand.
* Mono blue.

Really just a lot more variety than I ever see in the normal queues.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This event self-mill deck has no self-mill win con :thunk:

I picked it without reading the list and assumed it had jace or thassa's oracle or something, lmbo

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
That mono-black lurrus deck owns bones :thumbsup:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just started playing historic and I am thrilled to see that the old standard mono-blue deck based on curious obsession and evasive 1-drops is still viable there. :sickos:

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

I only see Historic bundles 2 and 3 available. Are they that loving stupid that they removed the first bundle from the store?

I'm pretty sure 2 is going away soon as well. I had thought it would be gone when 3 appeared but it looks like it is lasting just a little longer.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just met a real hero in the historic ranked queue.

He started the game by mulling to 0, then by turn 3 was able to draw and play treasure hunt, which filled his hand with a billion cycle lands (invasion and triome) and a single zenith flare.

He almost got me.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing this mono-blue garbage in bo1 historic.

pre:
Deck
4 Opt (ELD) 59
3 Spell Pierce (XLN) 81
3 Essence Capture (RNA) 37
2 Wizard's Retort (DAR) 75
4 Lookout's Dispersal (XLN) 62
4 Siren Stormtamer (XLN) 79
4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
4 Merfolk Trickster (DAR) 56
4 Brineborn Cutthroat (M20) 50
3 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
1 Sea-Dasher Octopus (IKO) 66
2 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
18 Island (ANA) 62
1 Curious Obsession (RIX) 35
3 Mist-Cloaked Herald (RIX) 43
For a cool 3 rare and 3 mythic wildcards it can easily beat up tier 1 decks.

e: You can also take out the castles and one of the brazen borrowers and it will barely be any worse, then its just 1 rare and 2 mythic.

Rahu fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 25, 2020

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zero VGS posted:

Thanks, I actually have every one of these cards except -2 Lookout's Dispersal so I put +2 Wizard's Retort which might even be better?

Yeah that is probably about just as good. The dispersal is just nice because it is a little easier to get a brineborn cuttroat to stick on the board compared to some of the wizard types, but I don't imagine it makes much of a difference.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This yargle event does not seem very good.

In my (limited) experience it looks like whoever is on the play has a massive advantage.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I believe that only applies to the initial draw.

So you will never see it in your initial 7 cards, but it should be possible to get on mulligans.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is audio messed up since the last update? When i click on either side of the game board the sound effect comes out of the wrong speaker.

This is really throwing me off as I furiously click while waiting on my opponent.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even past platinum, the odds still tilt in your favor a little bit.

You always get +1 pip for winning, but you don't always get -1 for losing. When you are 0/6 towards the next rank it takes 2 losses in a row to bring you down to 5/6 at a lower rank.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Goblins Goblins is a very good deck.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen it yet this time so it may have changed, but that killed me a couple times the last time Jumpstart was avaialable.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm at 8/15 daily wins after spending less than 15 minutes playing, thanks FNM.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

What was it supposed to be anyway?

It was an action rpg like Diablo but mtg-themed.

The main gimmick was that your abilities are in a “deck” and every time you cast one another random spell from your deck would take its place on your action bar after a few seconds. This meant that you don’t know what attacks your different buttons do without looking at your bar all the time. Also it doesn’t really matter anyways because you can just always cast everything on cool down and do great.

It had other problems too but that is probably the most egregious.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lysandus posted:

I have a deck I put together a while ago and when I view it in deck builder, it shows valid and has all the cards. When I go to play with it, I can't select it and it shows as invalid and has cards missing. Any ideas what might be up?

There's a bug with the new patch where you can't play a deck with a 15-card sideboard including a companion in any bo1 game type. If you cut the sideboard down to 7 or remove the companion it should work.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This new interface for queuing is uh, perplexing.

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I have a real problem. It is when my opponent is playing goblins, drops a skirk prospector, then proceeds to be terrible at passing priority for the rest of the game.

To say I suffer greatly would be an understatement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just had a wonderful experience in the queue with my 200 card rat colony deck.

My opponent casted Necromentia on turn 3 and named rat colony, then passed the turn due to timeout before being able to individually click every rat for exiling and conceded out of shame.

:hellyeah: