Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I love this Sultai Yarok/Elementals deck, it has game against everything and can turn games around out of nowhere. I replaced the llanowar elves with grazers for 2020, but I'm not even sure it needs the 1 drop, maybe paradise druid would be better to neoform into risen reef.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Honestly after spending a few days with the deck the 0/3 reach body seems extremely relevant so I’m expecting Goose will slot in very nicely.

The deck also seems extremely draw dependent. I only run 24 lands and I’ve lost soooooo many games during this event where I’m fine if I draw basically 1 of like 10 cards in my deck but if it isn’t one of those 10 you’re doomed. There are lots of games where you’ll untap with 15 mana and basically nothing to do with it, and drawing a single Krasis would definitely win you the game on the spot.

I'm not sure what it's relevant for, it doesn't trade, I would rather have something that could trade if needed, it is nice cavalier fodder though. Albeit I've only played 14 games with it so far, I haven't lost a single one of them though.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Blocking an 11/3 Flying Chandra’s Spitfire has been the difference between me winning vs Cavalcade and me losing vs Cavalcade a lot.

I'm sure we could find a better answer than a speed bump.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

fadam posted:

This is known as Sigint’s Gambit.

No, this is SigInts Gambit.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

kater posted:

Untapped doesn't seem to do enough to replace arena tool, even though I dislike arena tool. It doesn't even distinguish between playlists?

Yeah it does, scroll down.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I went 0-2 in the event with wishboard fires, first was to mana issues and I think the second was just to going second against a gates deck, felt like i was a turn too late with all of my actions, couldnt get Narset down before guild summit, couldnt answer the summit before dealing with some large creatures.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I skipped theros because I was tired of bot drafting and came back when I saw Ikoria had real drafting. I have to say I'm having a lot of fun with this set in limited, I grinded up from Bronze to Diamond over the past 5 days and I'm going to try and get to mythic for the first time.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
So I'm torn about this decision, should I cut Archipelagore so that I can play Jegantha in the companion slot? I'm leaning towards yes, Archipelagore is broken but lowering my curve and having my guaranteed 5/5 and 8th card seems like it's way more consistent?

I'm also in two minds about the splash for ram through, I think its worth it and it also means I can sometimes cast gnarr on 3, I'm also low on removal.

Before

After

edit: Actually I replaced Pteron for an Aegis Turtle because I think my deck just wants to crush them under mutates way before i get to play a 6 mana hexproof. I think I've been overvaluing Pteron generally, I think its good in a deck that wants to go all in on one mutate creature with effects like dirge bat, starix and archipelagore but most of the time it comes down too late.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 13, 2020

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I just lost a draft game to a deck that was running mythos of snapdax, ruinous ultimatum and 4 loving zenith flares, I don't even.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Player or bot?

Premier draft.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Well I finally hit mythic in draft today, not unhappy with my rank either. The Green/Blue mutate based decks have really been performing well for me and they are usually wide open.

I have been streaming if anyone is interested, I'm by no means the best player but I love the format and I think streaming is actually making me play better. https://www.twitch.tv/playingwithpurpose

Stangg fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 20, 2020

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Battling against matchmaking in ranked draft is brutal, I went 5-3, 4-3 and 7-2 today, started at rank 1300 something and ended at rank 1200 something.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I would for sure drop two 1 mana cyclers to companion jegantha. It's also not like there's any thundermanes or tacticians where you want to be cycling a lot per turn, I think its an easy include in this case (and most others).

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

I mean in the moment I might have also dug in my heels and tried to stay the course, that's the thing I dislike second most about the existence of the cycling deck, it's completely busted if it's open and it's hard to pivot out of if its not open

the thing I dislike most is that Zenith Flare shouldn't be able to go face.

I agree with this a lot, I really just don't like going for the cycling deck a lot of the time, you take an early fox and some 1 mana cyclers and are just hoping it's open after that, pivoting out is hard and when the deck doesnt come together its really not very good as its so threat light and has little reach, I basically only ever go for it when I see zenith flare these days and half the time I get cut off and go 2/3-3.

Overall I've had a lot of fun in this format but I'm quite tired of it, Ive played it a ton, once i hit mythic (next day or two) I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the next set to drop.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 9, 2020

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Daily Deal Thanos pack for 120 gems if anyone is interested.

I really hope you don't mean Theros :(

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Managed to hit mythic in Premier Ranked Draft with a cool 8-0, a decent cycling deck into a greedy 4 colour mutate pile. I'm very excited to not draft any more Ikoria, I've enjoyed the format but I've played a ton of it. I'm just going to sit on my rank and play cube until Core21 drops.

All the drafts were streamed but my OBS crashed twice so it's split into 3 videos unfortunately: https://www.twitch.tv/playingwithpurpose/videos

Here's the greed pile that went 4-0 to get me into mythic

Stangg fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 12, 2020

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Funkdreamer posted:

I wanted to like the last Arena cube, but the mana fixing was so good that the only strategy was jamming every haymaker you have into a 4-colour deck

Wasn't the last cube sealed? I didnt think they'd done draft yet.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I did 3 arena cubes today.

7-2 with red/blue good stuff, i didnt really know what i was doing, i just took counter spells and good red creatures and it got there.

6-3 with mardu tokens, good synergy, lots of sac outlets and corpse knight is a house.

6-3 with gruul beats, planeswalkers and efficient creatures.

My impressions of the format are that if you want to make gold you can just draft aggro and be pretty sure you're going to do well, lots of people make durdly do nothing decks with little synergy, dual lands arent as important as people make out (the good decks are all 1 or 2 colours) and the competition is soft.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Those deputies of detention must do good work in shoring up some of the weaknesses.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
It cost me about 7000 gems to grind into mythic in draft this month, not sure how many drafts I did but it was 250+ matches. I did 3-4 drafts per weekday for just under two weeks. Diamond is the worst part of it by far, BO1 is so swingy and tilt inducing. On the plus side I was #150 when i made it in and haven't touched ranked since and am now #318.

Last month it cost me more than that because once I got into mid plat it got hard and I was still learning the format, I also went on a big losing streak in diamond so it cost me like 16000 gems to get to mythic, I stupidly kept playing ranked even though I was #500 something mid-late month and despite having a positive win rate I finished outside of the rankings.

My overall winrate for Ikoria (tracked from when I first hit mythic last month) was 59% and I still feel like I have a lot to learn and areas to really tighten up both in my mechanical play and my drafting.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Why did they remove cube if they weren't going to put up any M21 stuff at the same time, at least let me play something that isn't Ikoria or botdraft rivals while I wait.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
The update completely uninstalled my mtg arena again, business as usual.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

srulz posted:

So I've just read the last 2 pages or so and didn't see this, can anyone please recommend a good deck just for doing dailies & have super-short match time? Either win fast or lose fast. Bonus points if the deck doesn't have that many new cards in it, since I've stopped buying packs since Ikoria, though I do have a lot of wildcards anyway so I don't really mind. As long as each game is fast & short.

As a reference, currently my go-to deck is Mardu Knights. But it does seem to lose more than win since the new set release, that's why I ask here.

Gruul aggro in historic is probably what you're looking for.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

Two of them is even better!

God I wish I had the wilds to play this nonsense:

Deck
4 Brash Taunter (M21) 133
15 Mountain (IKO) 271
4 Stormwild Capridor (IKO) 34
9 Plains (IKO) 262
4 Storm's Wrath (THB) 157
4 Deafening Clarion (GRN) 165
4 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
4 Clash of Titans (IKO) 111
4 Marauding Raptor (M20) 150
4 Shock (M21) 159
4 Go for Blood (IKO) 122

I'm short two full playsets (Clarion and Raptor) plus another half dozen cards though :(

It is a one-trick pony and it is dumb but it looks so fun.

I like the historic version with Ironcrag feat and star of extinction.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I've started a youtube channel where I'll be posting some drafts each week, unfortunately M21 is my first upload but check it out if you're interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlNIlXy9DQc

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I got the email for the mythic qualifier, it says that finishing in top 1200 in june, july, august feeds into the Zendikar qualifier, does that mean it doesnt matter if i finish top 1200 this month and next month now?

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I am really not enjoying this draft format, I can't even really put my finger on why, it's just boring and frustrating in a way that Ikoria wasn't for me.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
You're right that it's not possible to know what incremental changes would have made in those particular games but magic and limited in particular is a high variance game and much like poker you are looking to improve decision making over the long term in order to create an edge and flatten variance out, viewing individual games like that is results orientated and ultimately won't help you become a better player, focusing on decisions and ensuring that you're making the best one each time regardless of the results will.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I drafted a bonkers red/green deck earlier and 2 of my 3 losses were to a turn 5 brash taunter.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
The only change that has ever affected limited is the companion change, they haven't and won't ban problem cards in a limited format. At least Brash Taunter is rare... unlike Zenith Flare.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
I'm creating a new series called How To Draft M21, hoping that it's more useful for people than just watching drafts, going to do a video for each of the deck archetypes https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ReJp9PEWlk

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Another how to deck guide, this time for UR Spells in BO1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkuuVre553Y

My pick order for the deck: Reads left to right, the columns themselves arent ordered.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Easiest 7-0 of my life, trufflesnout was my mvp

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Took me longer than I care to admit to figure out M21 but I hit mythic today after a total of 35 drafts and a final winrate of 55%, for some reason this format tilts me more than any other format I've played and I wasn't going to bother with hitting mythic this month, but if I'm making content for mtg I may as well put my money where my mouth is and I finally found a decent stride. As you can see the start of the format was rough for me but diamond ended up going relatively smoothly. In no small part due to all the mythic players having made it through already. I had 3 7 win runs total but there was a couple of occasions where I forgot to turn on untapped.gg, I only had 1 7-0 though so percentages would be the same I think.

Stangg fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 24, 2020

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Grifter posted:

Got any tips for us Platinum folks?

Some recent notes that helped were to most of the time ignore synergies and find the open aggro lane, most of my decks topped out at 4 with like max 1 5 drop. I would start adding utility 5 drop creatures like pitchburn or rambunctious mutt if I was light on creatures and I generally wasnt happy with a deck that had less than 15 creatures unless I had a ton of removal, value is king though so 2 for 1s are what you're looking for at every opportunity, and avoiding walking into them yourself, if they have mana open they probably have it, look closely for stops.

Synergies are great if they fall in your lap but a trap a lot of the time I found, UR prowess being the exception because all the good cards in that deck make an aggro deck full of removal anyway.

Feat of resistance might be my favorite card in the format and I will play as many as I can, I'm taking it over acolyte 90% of the time. It felt like a 2 for 1 everytime I played it.

Splashing works but you need to be taking dual lands over basically anything mediocre/filler that isnt a 2 drop, it's always a hedge but if you're taking a couple of dual lands that share one of your colours then it's not unlikely you'll open or get passed some good removal later in the draft.

I think I found the format so tilting because if you stumble and dont play something by turn 3 it's basically a non game most of the time if they have any semblence of a solid deck.

I started putting together a playlist of the different archetype guides on my channel, I'm still new to making content so im trying out different stuff, hopefully there's some helpful advice in there though and I'll add some more to finish it off over the coming week now that I feel like I have a better handle on the format.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBpyJCaJO8BwcquYe3U2Bgozi5OqpuiXA

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Lone Goat posted:

Grats!

The 17lands.com app is also really good for tracking win rate and saving your decks, also shows you the drafts and other cool stuff like your top picked cards, highly recommend it.

What's with all the RWG decks though?

Some combination of those colours just always seemed to have the depth to get there for me, if you mean specifically 3 colour decks then its because I hedge a lot on dual lands and it seems to pay off well. The splash is always red and for dragonfire/soul sear/shock.

I have 17lands running as well ive just not done anything with it. I'll go see what data it has for me.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
My most drafted M21 cards:

And my run from diamond to mythic:

So I guess, draft more white decks?

Stangg fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 24, 2020

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009
Seeing as im done with drafting m21 for the month I played some historic today. Tried the RDW deck and it slaps, went from silver 1 to plat 4 in record time. Lavamancer performed much better than I was expecting.

Tried some kethis out too but I didnt have much luck on the variance front and I dont know the deck well at all aside from an article I read so it isn't going well right now but it does seem somewhat resilient.

I dont know if I'll have time to play the arena open this weekend but if I do it feels like combo or rdw is the way to go for day 1 for sure.

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

fadam posted:

For the Bo1 part I think Goblins, RDW, or Temur Rec pre-boarded for those two are the best options. The combo decks I think are really going to struggle with how high velocity the format is.

I spent an hour testing breach in BO1 anyway to confirm this for myself last night and it was not fun at all to get slapped about constantly by every form of aggro, I won one game because they conceded as I started going off but as I'm so new to the deck I was pretty sure I was going to fizzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stangg
Mar 17, 2009

Technowolf posted:

Kinda can't decide on the last card to cut (Sealed Amonkhet again)

I think trespasser's curse is the cut here, it's a very bad top deck.
edit:

Actually on closer inspection of the pool I don't think I like the red/black aggro plan, you only have 12 creatures and a lot of combat tricks which is not very synergistic.

I'd potentially be looking to do something with green and utilise the ramp to play god pharaohs gift.
You could also cut some of the combat tricks in favour of more creatures, thresher lizard is better than it looks, especially in a deck looking to empty its hand quickly.

I'm just eyeballing it but I'd be looking to go Green base with the ramp/fixing, black for removal and then either white or blue, your pool is very split and in my experience with sealed if you end up without a solid cohesive 2 colour deck you just need to go for the high rolls and get as many of your best cards in the deck as possible, its one of the nuances of the sealed format which you can also usually rely on being a fair bit slower, of course some people open nutty aggro decks but there's nothing you can really do about that. Landing a gift late game with a yard full of good creatures from trading earlier seems like a solid plan to me.

Something along these lines, i'm sure there's adjustments that could improve it but it has a decent removal suite, early blockers to stem damage and a bunch of cycling. I don't know if perilous vault belongs in a deck like this, we are kind of relying on our creatures dying before we use it otherwise it's a big ole nonbo with gift. It's a really big shame the only coloured desert you opened was the blue one because i'd love some camels in this deck.

Deck
1 Cartouche of Strength (AKR) 184
1 Rhonas's Stalwart (AKR) 214
1 Hooded Brawler (AKR) 194
1 Mouth /// Feed (AKR) 202
1 Ornery Kudu (AKR) 206
1 Quarry Hauler (AKR) 210
1 Shefet Monitor (AKR) 217
2 Beneath the Sands (AKR) 182
1 Feral Prowler (AKR) 191
1 Start /// Finish (AKR) 264
1 Anointer Priest (AKR) 3