Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Just like everyone else, I'm going to be stuck at home for a few months, so I'm sorta considering Arena. I had played MTGO from launch to '10 or '11 or so, but left because I couldn't deal with the awful playerbase, or the fact that nowadays Wizards doesn't even bother to pretend that money doesn't buy power.

So, can anyone give me a quick answer:

1) Are the players toxic?
2) Are you massively handicapped if you don't have mommy's credit card sitting next to the keyboard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Started yesterday as Halfdone, hit me up if you want. Right now I'm playing against randos who attack into combat tricks over and over, but hopefully that will change when my ranking improves. And, the lack of chat is actually an improvement over MTGO. It's refreshing to not be told what my sexual orientation is every time I win a game.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 27, 2022

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hydra's growth is a bad card and is a complete trap. Its a card that seems really good when your opponent can do literally nothing about it but most opponents can do something about it and you are just going to 2-1 yourself like 80% of the time.

Generally yeah. But if you throw it on a random etb dork, you get 1-1ed at worst and win at best.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Stuck forever at the updating screen, anyone else?

EDIT: working now.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 27, 2020

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, they already started crossing magic into D&D, I'd be fairly surprised if it doesn't start going the other way too.

Nah, let's take it all the way: Magic plus Monopoly. Your money is equal to your life total times 100.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Soooo... does the RNG fudge the rolls in favor of the player? I've played about 200 games of Standard since joining last week, and never once got zero land.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LingcodKilla posted:

How does the white deck become unstoppable? Zero car draw and no trample. I only won a single game against a green deck due to him getting nothing but llanowar elves.
Deathtouch just wrecked me.

Do you mean the lifegain deck? I added black and it became fairly good. It roflstomps aggro and does well against midrange, but not great against combo and poorly against control.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So I'm grinding Standard against some random schlub. He plays Spellgorger Weird, I drop Blast Zone. He drops another Weird, I put two counters on the Zone on his discard. I'm waiting for him to swing so I can blow up his poo poo... and he plays The Royal Scions.

One can only hope this guy's job doesn't put him in charge of heavy machinery.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
poo poo, casting Casualties of War and hitting five targets is soooooo loving good.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

fatherboxx posted:

People in our LGS including the owner are 100% sure that the ladder shuffler is rigged to keep you at ~50% winrate "just like in Gwent and HS" unless you are an MPL member or a transgender streamer, I poo poo you not.

If you get paired against better players whenever you win and worse when you lose, then everyone will float towards a 50% win rate except the very top and bottom. The bit about trans streamers... uh... kinda suggests that the LGS guy has some issues.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok after a month of free Brawl with all the lovely cards banned I can safely say Agent of Treachery sucks and is probably the determining factor in over 30% of my games, no joke. It’s maybe the strongest card left in the format.

Running Sultai ramp in Standard, I never fail to get a laugh when I use my Agent of Treachery to steal my opponent's Thassa.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

eonwe posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for either a really cheap black, red, or green deck?

I really liked the black deck a lot, but I think red or green would be fine too.

More than two colors is very hard to pilot if you don't have a lot of rare lands.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So does the Mastery Pass just get you stuff earlier than you would by grinding? Or do you get stuff you wouldn't get otherwise?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SalTheBard posted:

You get the stuff on the silver track regardless, and usually you only get something every other level. With the Mastery Pass you get everything on the silver track as well as the gold track (something every level)

So assuming you grind quests every day, the mastery pass just gives you the gold stuff?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SalTheBard posted:

Does everyone play Mono Red aggro in Ranked Standard? O_O I swear all but one of my games has been a mirror match.

Standard is kinda stale lately. Tier 1 is RDW and Sultai ramp, everything else is firmly tier 2.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Playing Brawl today with an Uro deck, doofus decided to drop a turn 2 Hushbringer. It didn't go well for him.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Owlbear Camus posted:

I feel nude drafting without an overlay of numerical ratings and mousover where LSV tells me what to think about the card.

LSV really, really undervalues combat tricks. He'd prolly give Giant Growth a 2.0.

Not that it matters, Channelfireball just paywalled his column.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So I'm grinding Standard against some random shitfucker. I play Uro from my hand with seven lands and two cards in the yard, and he counters with Didn't Say Please.

Yeeeeeah.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

No Wave posted:

You will encounter draws that your deck cannot beat a whole lot. Your opponent still has to draw those cards but it is one of the reasons MtG's favored competitive play mode is best of 3.

Yeah, BO1 is a weird beast. In BO3, any tier one deck can put up a decent fight against *any* deck on games two and three; if it couldn't, it wouldn't be tier one. But in BO1, you will hit matchups that you simply cannot beat.

A dude posted:

It's probably worth noting at this point that whilst the starter decks aren't aggressively awful, they are still really, really not good.

Add black to the white lifegain deck and it becomes very playable.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

SalTheBard posted:

Whats the best way to deal with Cat Oven using Mono Black Lurrus?

Blast Zone.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Went Vampire/Reanimate and it loving sucks.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
The only recent change is that deathtouch "wears off" right away.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Relin posted:

in what way?

Let's say that Melvin attacks with a Sedge Scorpion (1/1 deathtouch) and Hubert blocks with a Darksteel Gargoyle (3/3 indestructible). The gargoyle take one point of deathtouch damage, but is not killed because of indestructible. After combat, Melvin plays a Shadowspear and activates it, causing all permanents to lose indestructible. The gargoyle is not killed, because the damage only has deathtouch at the time it's applied.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

ex post facho posted:

this has been stomping up through plat really well, rising up through 3 quickly.

Yeah I'm running roughly the same deck, 4 CoW and no Tamyo. Village Rites is a fun idea, maybe I'll try it.

The only thing that annoys me is that the optimum play is to mulligan if no Grazer in the opening hand, then concede if you don;t mull into one.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah in general everything in standard right now feels fun and interactive, even the flash decks can be a cool fight, but Ugin just sucks and is the definitive top end for every ramp or control archetype. Gonna be an incredibly boring year.

Ugin is powerful, but unplayable outside of a ramp deck*. It falls to counterpells or Sligh.

*Although I've been having a weird idea about a deck that discards planeswalkers with Time Teferi and reanimates them with Elsbeth Conquers Death, thoughts?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Wezlar posted:

I think you just get enough value out of casting planeswalkers and ECD that you don't really need to try and get cute with them.

It's just that when ECD gets used, at least 2/3 of the time it exiles something and that's it. Why not give it a nice fattie to reanimate?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Arena is probably the best thing to happen to Magic. I've played Magic almost nonstop since '93 and I think it's one of the best if not the best strategy game ever. However, it does have two major drawbacks; it's blatantly pay-to-win, and it's a magnet for They Who Dwell In Basements. I've been playing Arena only a few months and bought only the $5 starter pack, and right now I'm playing exactly the decks I want and am sitting on 9000 gold and a handful of rare and mythic wildcards. And, since the game is online only with no talking, I don't have to smell the BO or listen to the high-pitched whining.

I have no doubt that Wizards will change the pricing once they realize that people are having fun without mommy's credit card in hand, but for now I'm loving it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

The Sean posted:

I was just wondering how MTG would fare if they didn't launch this game sufficiently ahead of the pandemic. And, subsequently, what that will do to in-person magic later (though I do not have experience in that world).

My personal opinion is that unless we get a vaccine, cardboard Magic is 100% dead and buried, unless you count Daddy and Jimmy playing across the dining room table. (corollary: prices will crater soon.)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
if you're just starting out, try Orzhov lifegain. Even a budget build will do well against aggro and midrange, which is 95% of what you'll be facing at low levels.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

abrupt decay, deathrite shaman, assassin's trophy, pernicious deed, spiritmonger, cadaverous bloom, grim flayer, hogaak, maelstrom pulse, umori, even golgari charm, i don't think find/finality cracks the top 10

Casualties of War is loving amazing. I mean, yeah, its six mana so you need to be playing ramp, but holy gently caress it can totally pulverize your opponent.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Shrecknet posted:

but D&D proper somehow has an even worse fan base than magic of utter grognards and hearing them bitch about Drizzt Do'Urden

Magic players are a hundred times worse than D&D players. Both groups are :btroll:, but Magic players are competitive while D&D players are chill.

Shrecknet posted:

Besides, who is this supposed to attract? D&D is a literal rounding error to Hasbro compared to magic

I think that's the point. Sales of D&D hardbooks and Drizzt Underoos are microscopic, so Wizards is cannibalizing them to boost Wizard Cardboard.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Last night I said "Nice!" when my opponent played Alseid of Life's Bounty while I had Kaervek the Spiteful on the board. Next turn, I said "Nice!" again when he did the exact same thing.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Paul Zuvella posted:

anyone complaining about emotes is a turd, emotes suck and people that use them suck

There are people out there who would pay $100 for a "pwned" emote.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

uPen posted:

With the lands that are lands on both sides, can you only put the front side into play with uro, growth spiral etc?

EDIT: If you can "play a land" you can play either side, but if it says "put a land into play" you can only play the front? Is this right?

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 19, 2020

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Vidmaster posted:

I convinced my dad to buy me one of these for $10 when I started playing in elementary school, then stuck it into my awful esper deck which was made up of every UBW card I owned.

UB was disgusting in the early days of Magic. My first playgroup had a houserule for a bit against playing exactly those colors.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Of course it's going to be Uro. Cobra is almost as broken, and Omnath is at least as broken if not more, but there's no way in hell they'll ban cards from a set that's on the shelf.

EDIT: maybe they'll ban Ugin too, although I'm not holding my breath.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 23, 2020

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

P1P1, what do you pick in this weak pack and why?

Kabira Takedown, Field Research and Utility Knife are the least horrible. I'd say the knife because it doesn't commit you to a color.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
...aaaaaaaaand the Historic decks are just the Standard decks with Uro and shocklands.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Shooting Blanks posted:

I watched a couple matches and it's abundantly clear that Wizards stopped playtesting standard and only playtests individual sets now.

Yeah that's what I was thinking too. With the current rotation, a set has to play nice with the three other sets in the block, four before it, and four after it. That's too much for their playtesters, who are six homeless guys who get paid in Night Train.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
So I figured that everyone would be playing UB Millrogue post ban, and that Radkos midrange would be the answer to that. Great minds think alike, I guess, because now everyone's playing Radkos.