Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Ya'll ready for... food tokens?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Knight Tribal or....

Wolf Tribal!

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/statu...264113412972544

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zoux posted:

Is this expansion Shrek

This expansion trailer is full Shrek.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Just ground out a crazy swingy Brawl game with the Jund sacrifice deck vs the Esper Artifact pile. Opp had an exalted lifelink faerie swinging at me as a 21/21 at one point. Rhythm of the Wild and enough sacrifice effects to gain card advantage on every sac eventually allowed me to grind it out with 3 cards left in the deck.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Murderous Rider seems absolutely nuts.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Seems alright:

https://twitter.com/day9tv/status/1171090892201086976

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Waffleopolis posted:

New card from ReiderRabbit

Ppl who play Modern and Legacy are going nuts for it. I know little about those formats to see why.

Even in standard it could be quite good. Early game fixing with the Scry or late game value generator if you can blink a creature with a worthwhile ETB effect.

edit: Also it's exile a target creature you OWN and it ETBs under your control. You can take back stolen creatures. Interesting little perk.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Vs. Live is doing some future Eldraine standard brewing on stream today. Abzan Legends looking spicy:

https://twitter.com/StarCityGames/s...2065539/photo/2

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Dude, Skewer isn't even close to Bolt.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I'm not certain if this is the last rare of the set but it would be a good one to end on

Tocatli Honor Guard with upside but dies to Shock and Disfigure. Every standard needs a card like this, seems OK.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

No worries man, it's one of the more confusing aspects of Protection. It's why it was absent for a long while, deemed too confusing.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Bring back interrupts

I still donít know the difference between them and instants

Interrupts were just another "speed" of play. Interrupts could only be responded to by Interrupts.

The main thing this did was nerf the hell out of a card called Power Sink.

This thing used to be an Interrupt, meaning you couldn't respond to all your lands being tapped and mana drained unless you had an Interrupt to play, because you couldn't play anything at Instant speed in response to an Interrupt. Interrupts basically can still exist as cards with the keyword Split Second. Only, you can't respond to split second cards with other split second cards.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/straydogrenji/s...274848327938050

Rakdos Pyromancer looks sick!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

No Wave posted:

When did "6" become the acceptable turn 3 loyalty for a planeswalker

It loving sucks that Fry is close to useless. The only clean answer is Noxious Grasp at this point, and that poo poo will just get Veiled.

Three mana planeswalkers in general are the loving worst.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Esper Dance of Doom looks hosed up!

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2293421#arena

AngryBooch fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 27, 2019

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Gruul Oww Oof My Booones:

4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
3 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
4 Stomping Ground (RNA) 259
3 Skarrgan Hellkite (RNA) 114
4 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
4 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
2 Nissa, Who Shakes the World (WAR) 169
7 Mountain (M20) 276
4 Gruul Spellbreaker (RNA) 179
4 Growth-Chamber Guardian (RNA) 128
10 Forest (M20) 280
2 Embercleave (ELD) 120
4 Domri, Anarch of Bolas (WAR) 191
3 Domri's Ambush (WAR) 192
2 Zhur-Taa Goblin (RNA) 215

3 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
1 Flame Sweep (M20) 139
2 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
3 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
3 Veil of Summer (M20) 198
3 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148

Not totally sold on Robber of the Rich and Embercleave and they're mythics. Might try Stonecoil Serpent? Any good two drops?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Still adjusting my RDW, but in addition to fervent knight and robber, I've been pretty pleased with rimrock knight (whose adventure AND creature both work quite well with fervent) and my currently-one-of the adventure giant.

tempted to finish the playset of the adventure giant, it's also in that nonsense rakdos aggro deck with way too many rares

I feel like crafting 4 Bonecrusher Giants is one of the safest bets you can make. It's the next Chainwhirler except it's splashable so it's going to be in every single Aggro and Midrange Deck featuring Red for the next two years. Hell, it's probably going to show up in Jeskai Walkers soon. I'm gonna try that out.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Scoss posted:

I truly loving hate this game's love of pitting you into mirror matches.

It's day *two* and I slapped together something resembling the linked Dance of the Manse / Doom Foretold deck, the FIRST game is an exact mirror match.

It won a tournament day 1 dude!

But yes, mirror matches happen a lot in non-ranked queues. In ranked queues, it's a tournament winner already so of course the density will be higher there.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

fadam posted:

I'm an idiot, can someone explain this interaction to me:

One creature in graveyard, one Lucky Clover (copy Instant and Sorcery adventures) on the battlefield.

If I cast Order of Midnight as an Adventure, targeting the same creature twice with both the original spell and the copy, why does OoM end up in my GY?

Sounds like the Copy resolved first, making the actual card not have a valid target, therefore it goes to the yard instead of the Adventure Zone.

Just to reiterate, countered adventures, adventures that get nullified via invalid targets, etc. go to the graveyard instead of the Adventure zone/exile.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

BrianBoitano posted:

So who else is running maindeck artifact and enchantment hate?

I found out mid game that Oko's elking ability hits artifacts but not enchantments yesterday morning. Yep, I need some main deck enchantment hate that isn't too narrow. Maybe knight of autumn.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Squinky v2.0 posted:

I got smashed by a gruul Phoenix deck and I just threw one together, got to live the dream of T2 Phoenix

Arclight Phoenix? Gruul Arclight Phoenix? What the hell? List?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Man, general performance and hitching in this game is such trash. It's the same loving thing that always happens with Unity Engine games once they get too large. No faith that WotC will be able to recover this and it's going to keep getting worse as the game gets larger.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

How many of ya'll hopping on the Scrabbling Claws anti-Esper Dance/ Cauldron Familiar / Feasting Troll King train? Three - four copies in the side in every deck everyone!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

For quests in this game, can I just directly challenge a friend and still earn credit towards completing quests, or is it like Hearthstone where they only give you credit if you play against random people?

Gotta play vs randos I'm afraid.

I got no credit in my 30 black spells quest for trying my Golgari Knights deck against a friend last night.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Lmao hey kids don't be like me and turn your opponent's Yorvo into an 8/8 killing machine by elking it with Oko!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

FalloutGod posted:

Can anyone recommend any videos where someone takes a concept and builds a deck around while fully explaining why they are adding certain cards and for what reasons? I saw Legend do this recently with a Mono Black deck but I haven't really seen any others do videos like it.

Bryan and Gerry of Arena Decklists / Gam Podcast / StarCity games commentators / former MPL member in Gerry's case / Fandom Legends Tourney crusher in Bryan's case have started a youtube channel and they've been doing some deck techs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lx8zoOIDTI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iye4ucYbLpY

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

zoux posted:

These dudes are cool, thanks for the heads up. Seems like every youtube mtga guy is bo1 only.

Seriously! I wish LegenVD, CGB, Merchant, Alias did more Bo3 stuff on youtube. Really wish Brian Braun Duin would stream more as well, he's my favorite Twitch streamer because he's a goofy rear end in a top hat who creates the absolute worst decks to play against sometimes but he's also probably the best player in the world at the moment and says some incredibly smart poo poo occasionally.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Wacky Delly posted:

I know how this deck works, but like as a test, how does this deck work?

It just works!

https://twitter.com/AndrewCuneo/sta...757166674980864

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

No Wave posted:

I'm starting to see Goose/Oko/Wolf/Once Upon a time as a 16 card card package just because they are all so strong together and Oko is dramatically weaker without them. When you throw in paradise druids (obligatory) and 4x krasis (obligatory) jeez not much room left.

Goose into Oko is close to a free win a lot of the time, which is what will keep the card competitive.

The Food Package of Goose + Oko + Wicked Wolf is incredibly strong. And then at that point you're in UG so might as well throw in the Krasis. Not sold on Once Upon a Time unless you're running a ton of utility creatures like in an Adventure Deck or are in 3+ colors.

Also seeing a resurgence of Kraul Harpooner, it's very good at killing Geese! And Rankle and other random flying threats that are showing up because the ground is being gummed up quite a bit right now with all these Elks and Zombie Tokens around.

I saw Wyatt Darby playing Mono Green Stompy last night and it looked impressive as hell.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I ended up with a lot of knights. Is this too greedy of a deck? This was the auto-mana which looks bad (there are 2 Tournament Grounds) and I don't know if there's a way to cast Sundering Stroke and also hit the double WW/BB cards

Tournament Grounds cannot be used to cast Sundering Stroke so you only have the one mountain to be able to use it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

A Moose posted:

So is dance manse revolution a real deck? Because I don't think anyone has played it in a competitive setting yet which makes me think I may have wasted wildcards. At least fires is super fun to play. It literally doesn't matter which variant, untapping with a fires of invention is one of the most fun things to do in standard.

I don't think it's a real deck anymore for 3 reasons:

The mirror is absolutely heinous.

Tamiyo can completely embarrass it and one of the best decks in Standard right now is Blue-Green that can easily side in 2-4 Tamiyos.

The best deck in standard right now, Golos Field, just doesn't really give a poo poo about your strategy and can run it over.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

6-2 with Jeskai Fires Superfriends. Lost a game to Mardu Knight aggro because I never drew the sweeper. Second loss was to... Jeskai Fires Superfriends when I was on the draw. I had previously beaten the mirror match while on the draw for my 4th win but wasn't so lucky this last time!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Top 8 at SCG Philly Team Constructed right now: 5x Bant Golos. 1x Sultai Golos. 1x Golos Fires. And 1x Simic Mid/Fight.

Of course, the team constructed format (wherein 3 matches are played at once by each team in each constructed format - standard, modern, legacy) may be hiding some other very good decks in standard and Kannister won the MPL Eldraine split with Golgari Adventure/Aggro, but Golos seems very very dominant.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Yeah I played Arena as normal without the mastery pass and did the math on whether I should buy the M20 Mastery pass like one day before it expired. I didn't play as much during the M20 season because Kethis Combo and Scapeshift/Golos Nexus were so so bad. Turns out I came out ahead by like 2 packs or something small so I got it anyway.

Side note, probably not gonna play much more of Eldraine Season due to Golos Fields being so dominant at the moment in much the same way. Hope some of the MPLers or genius brewers are hiding some secret tech or something for the Mythic Championships in 2 weeks. It's never solved until Strasky and Cifka say it is.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

lol imagine being WotC and making Outlaws Merriment a mythic rare with 4cmc when Field of the Dead is free and just a rare and also superior

Also imagine printing Ravager Wurm and putting any restriction on the land destruction clause on a 6cmc spell.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

sephiRoth IRA posted:

So this is basically prospecting on futures. I can craft fields with about 6 WCs on the shell stuff and 4 on Fields. Iíll theoretically lose the shell WCs since they have no value without fields. How much enjoyment can I squeeze out of the deck stomping on people before they ban it (if they ban it) and is it worth the wildcards I would need to spend?

Golos might be a fun Brawl Commander at least. The other lands are used in places. Krasis is going to be good as long as it's in standard. Teferi 3 is of course ubiquitous. Realm Cloaked GIant and Once Upon a Time are going to be in several decks. I don't think the risk is that great. The issue is that the deck isn't really fun to play with or against imo.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Aggro will get a 55% win rate against Golos Fields and be at 35% vs everything else and nobody will play it.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/st...670047720333312

Welcome to the Glitter Brute Meta.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Arena Play Modes, and Play, haven't jumped into the ladder.

I think it still is the case that the first 50 or so games are against other people with very new accounts in the play queue, then they just throw you into the deep end. At this point, it might be better to just play ranked and hang out in bronze. You'll still see some full meta decks on the start of their climb but it should average out. A lot of folks with all the cards who also have ranked anxiety like to try to farm the play queue for their daily quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

oh poo poo

https://twitter.com/MagicEsports/st...022924863246336

Significance of this timing is that it's right after the Mythic Championship which is Standard. I can't imagine it has to do with Modern but it's possibly both?