Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Spiderdrake posted:

I still kinda wonder how mono black got through its standard season without a banning. It was like two-thirds of top eights for two seasons and people just didn't complain that much?

Then again people have some weird rear end fondness for that archetype, going back to the torment deck, even though the torment deck was atrocious poo poo boring gameplay to the pro max.

Now Wake, Wake was a real deck.

hell yeah wake owned, first real deck I made too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Looks like this will be a high power, slow speed limited format, what with the adventure cards providing free card advantage and all the common beaters at 4 mana like the 2/5 paladin and the 4/4 beast

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Shooting Blanks posted:

Knights feels like a limited dream if you get a couple decent ones early. Then again I am bad at limited so what do I know

limited seems like it will be based around grabbing as many adventures as you can

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

Calling it now, Merfolk Secretkeeper is going to be The Worst to face in drafts. Common, probably not high on bot lists, cheap as poo poo and if you can mass it it's both a good wincon and blockers out the rear end.

Youd need to draft and play like 7 of them to mill someone. And iff you dont draw 7 of them you just had a bunch of dead rear end draws. It aint gonna happen unless you like losing a lot

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Insurrectionist posted:

I mean if you literally get no other mill cards at all, even though there are quite a few others, then sure - though it's more like 5 - 6. And again I don't think bots will pick it so I don't think that's a pipe dream at all either. Most of the time 3 - 4 will probably be fine with support.

What other mill support is out there?

Anyways you are still running into the same issue mill has in any other limited format, which is that you need to draft and play a bunch of cards that have a good chance of doing literally nothing.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

I'd like to shoutout Charlie Foxtrot for their literally brilliant idea to throw some Finales into Yarok. I still run 1 Legion's End but made room for 2 black Finale and I've probably won 5-6 games in the last 2 days in which my control/midrange opponent is impossibly far ahead and I'm basically dead on board and then I topdeck Finale and they eat 12 Dread presence damage to the face and I cavalier away their board.

If Finale and nissa are in your opening hand with ramp, you can play extremely badly and make the worst blocks because all you need to do is untap with Nissa and Finale and you just cannot lose.

What is this deck you keep talking about?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

i am extremely bored of m20 draft and ready for a new environment. just hit plat with a double Skeleton/double Murder/double Splinters deck with Blood for Bones and Scholar of the Ages. three of the seven wins were to opponents conceding after i demonstrated the Bones/Scholar loop.

deck also had a Cavalier of Gales, sometimes you just have it

m20 was a fun format to figure out but theres a real lack of diversity. theres only a few viable color combinations and 2/3 of them have black as one of their colors

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I heard it there too and also "mise", a term which I know has to do with topdecking but have no idea where it came from

mise goes way back to like 2000. i dont think i ever understood what it really means

my preliminary drafting report is that this set is really good. lots of long rear end games filled with meaningful choices. food is way more interesting and relevant than i thought it would be. color balance is good too, black seems really strong but there are no dead colors so far

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I ended up with a lot of knights. Is this too greedy of a deck? This was the auto-mana which looks bad (there are 2 Tournament Grounds) and I don't know if there's a way to cast Sundering Stroke and also hit the double WW/BB cards

you are never going to be able to cast fireborn knight and even if you do its not that good

also I dont really see the need to splash your deck is really strong already

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Also whoever called the mill meta in draft was right and I was wrong as hell. Just faced two extremely annoying mill decks tonite. I still managed to win tho

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kanfy posted:

Sometimes you just find the right colors. Cuts are going to be tough for this one, I got like four Secretkeepers at the end and with the Lucky Clover they'd make for a pretty strong backup win condition. Plus they're like my only blockers unless I throw in a Crashing Drawbridge.

E: And 16 lands is probably enough for this curve, haven't touched them yet. Not sure why it defaults to 8-9 in a deck with 75% blue and 21% red.

(My mind tells me Ferocity should go but my heart says "but double damage fairy army")

Your deck seems strong enough to win without the merfolks. I would leave them on the sideboard for board stall decks

So yesterday I had the most amazing win in draft ever. I was locked in a stalemate agaisnt 2 revenge of the ravens, my only hope was dropping my Syr Konrad the grim. However my opponent managed to drop one of his own first, and he milled a bunch of cards and took a away a bunch of my life, leaving me at 4 and them at 5. I draw and play my own Konrad, but being 1 life lower things looked pretty grim (heh). On their turn they start milling again, sealing my doom. However it turns out my life loss procs before theirs does. So I am at 1, they are at 2. They mill again, revealing 2 creatures, dealing 2 damage to them before I can die and winning me the game

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say that Revenge of Ravens is goddamn ridiculous in limited. Especially if you manage to pull more than one.

im running this monstrosity in draft right now. 1-0 so far

good luck doing anything opponent

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

BioThermo posted:

Don't queue with tcjimbo

lmao

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

another 5 win draft run with a mill war crimes deck. starting to think this archetype is completely busted!!!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

drewmoney posted:

Anyone got a list of the current Simic Ramp hotness? Unless it's just the eldraine one plus Uro x4?

new hotness seems to be going temur elementals with blink god and akroan war and other creature stealing stuff

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

im about to face THE ULTIMATE FINAL BOSS

6-2 draft and 1 win away from mythic

wish me luck goons

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I did it!!

now I dont have to play Eldraine ever again!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

All Draft advice is weird because you can be as prepared as possible and do tons of research and then still open a bad pool with weird signals from Bots. It’s just something that you have to get a feel for.

I mean theres lots variance for sure but theres already tons of variance in any magic game, its nothing new. knowing how to make the best out of a bad pool is a pretty important limited skill

also the main return to limited is that limited is lots of fun!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Going infinite is basically impossible in Arena both because the max payout is pretty low and the break even point is pretty high up so that anything below 4 wins is basically a disaster. So it only takes even a few mediocre drafts to erase the profits from a bunch of perfect or near pefect drafts. Ive had some pretty crazy runs where ill amass a bunch of gems but it only takes a few bad drafts to lose it all. Only top level payers like deathsie or bens can manage it consistently

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

cenotaph posted:

Yeah, I had like 10k gems from ranked eldraine so I decided to do some best of 3. Went 3-2, 2-2, 0-2 because of bad packs and mediocre to bad draws and lost nearly all of it. Ranked has lower potential payouts but the up front risk is lower.

Also Kyle, TheHamTV streamer, was #1 for three or four seasons in a row and he's had to put money into drafting a couple times from bad runs.

yeah ive seen deathsie (also a constant #1 contender) have to pay for gems too. although he has like 150k of them right now

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

fadam posted:

The best piece of advice anyone needs going into a TBD draft is the same advice Wesley Snipes gives the bad guy in Passenger 57. Always bet on black.

i think black is overvauled in this set. yeah theres tons of strong black cards but their color archetypes are weird (i have no loving idea what dimir is supposed to be doing for example. golgari is extremely grindy and draw dependant as usual, etc). in a set thats all about really powerful synergies it makes black deceptively weak

for a counterexample look at izzet. individually red and blue are kinda weak this set but their archetype is very strong with some really oppressive synergies

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Marketing New Brain posted:

I've found Izzet to be just about the weakest color pair, among supported archetypes. You aren't wrong about dimir being trash, it's generally not very good unless you get some good rares.

In order of strongest to weakest so far I'd rank it,

G/B
B/R, B/W
G/R, G/W, U/G, U/W, R/W
U/B, U/R

Most of these decks are synergy driven, I'm happy to be in whatever is open, but only want to be in U/B or U/R if I have a lot of supporting gold or rare cards to push my power level up. My top 3 archetypes are all black, because not only does it have the deepest common pool, it has many of the best uncommons. Pharika's Spawn and Elspeth's Nightmare should both have been rare. Hell black even has great rares with the exception of treacherous blessing. Top to bottom it might honestly be the deepest I've ever seen a color in limited.

It is not coincidental to me that the 2 worst color pairs contain the three colors that can't interact with enchantments.

I must be doing something wrong with G/B then, because ive never had much success with it despite it being my most drafted archetype. I will often end with a deck that looks powerful with tons of good black cards that ends up underperforming. either i will get a good draw and outvalue the hell out of my opponent or ill just durdle around without accomplishing much while my opp is going off.

same with R/B, ill draft a deck that seems really good but actually playing it it doesnt seem to do much. I even had a crazy RB deck with every sac card you could ever want, and even an Erebos, and it failed miserably

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Mike N Eich posted:

I've been suckered into black the last two drafts I've done - I drafted Gulgari Garbo both times because I could get so much removal, but really no win conditions other than hopefully grinding them out with a lot of creatures.

I even stupidly drafted a lot of self-mill in a Golgari deck where I had only one escape creature. Just milling the poo poo out of myself to no real purpose.

yeah this right here is my issue too: lots of quality cards but no win condition other than slowly outvalueing my opp. meanwhile im giving my opp infinite time to find their win condition. it feels wrong somehow, and im not sure what card im missing here that gives GB the kind of explosive potential other decks have

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Doltos posted:

This might be the worst limited set they've ever made. The sheer amount of combat tricks and nigh unanswerable threats makes this feel like a complete luck fest.

what combat tricks? star mantle? what else is even there

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Sean posted:

I would like some help please. This might actually be more garbage than I imagine but it feels like one of the better post-draft piles of cards I've ever had. Because of that, I really want to have the best advice going into my first games. I probably don't have enough large creatures or removal.

I clearly am aiming for a sacrifice deck but I haven't played one in this format. Any help would be appreciated. I'm fantasizing here but I would love to steal one of their creatures with Betrayal, sacrifice their creature later, trigger some sacrifice bonuses, and create a copy with Nightmare Shephard.

Note: I haven't pared anything out at all.

R/B sac is a pretty tricky deck to play in this format. Usually a sac deck goes a grindy game of slowly outvalueing your opponent, but that doesnt work that well in Theros. The way you want to play it is as an aggro deck that tries to get as much damage early on as possible and then finishes off the opponent with lampad saccing. This is the kind of deck where every bit of damage counts and you really want to squeeze in as much as possible. As such finding the right balance of sac fodder, sac payoff, removal, and aggro is quite hard. Betrayal is quite good because it doubles as removal and finisher

Triumph of Anax sucks btw. other than that what other people have said sounds good in terms of cuts

babypolis fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 7, 2020

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kanfy posted:

They literally say the reason which is that two concurrent formats led to overall fewer people drafting and they want to try out different things.

Fewer people drafting obviously also means less money spent on the game which isn't desirable for them, so I don't see much of a reason for :tinfoil: theories about rare drafting in this case.

it may also have been because eldraine is a dogshit format for drafting in arena

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

pointsofdata posted:

On the topic of getting better at draft, what's the cut here?

I think it's either physician or aspect of lamprey.

this seems like a deck that really needed a couple of hateful eidolons to work

anyways flicker of fate doesnt seem to do anything for you here. Well I guess its nice with aspect of lamprey and omen of the dead but that doesnt seem enough to be worth a card

babypolis fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 8, 2020

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

while we are talking about drafting heres a cool video deathsie made about the different archetypes in theros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5GimQff1xI

his tier list is pretty good too, outside the occasional weird build around hes got a boner for

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I like Bond of flames in R/B. You could probably lose a temple thief and a black omen to squeeze it in

oh yea lose the amulet too

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

The Sean posted:

Thank you again for those who gave feedback on this. I ended up going 5-2 which is very rare (first time?) for me. I neglected to take a screenshot of the final deck but it was mostly what was suggested.

Lampad of Death's Vigil was one of my favorite cards in the deck. A majority of the games I won because both players were just stalling out building a board and then I ended up just punching through with direct damage from sacrificing all of my creatures. It was also nice to do the ol' block and sacrifice win/win.

nicely done! im glad out advice worked out for you

yeah lampad has been a real sleeper hit for me this set. its a decent enough blocker in the early game and can provide surprising amounts of value over the course of a game even in a non sac deck

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

TipTow posted:

Thanks for the input, I can see why those would be cut. Does my remaining pool change anything?

you really want that second pilgrim in your deck imo

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kanfy posted:

It's been pretty widely considered a high-tier draft format due to the high amount of viable decks and a lot of interesting decision-making + the graveyard being an additional resource in a cool way, and the bots haven't ruined it on Arena either.

that last one is a big one in arena, the bots are surprisngly competent at drafting this format. theres a few outliers (spawn after pick 2) but for the most part pick order is pretty sensible

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

So... after how many of these losses did you say “hmm this keeps happening, perhaps I should more aggressively mulligan to my 2nd color” and how many games did you snap keep a 2-lander with one color and go “eh, I’m bound to get there?”

if a 2 lander was worth keeping, its worth keeping even if you have been mana screwed for the past 100 games

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

aw gently caress me I forgot the draft set was rotating and left a 5-2 deck to rot

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

GRN was very quick to remind me what a godawful format it is. guess im not drafting for 2 weeks

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

really want to congratulate the absolute galaxy brain at wizards who replaced a new format people were enjoying with an old rear end format that everyone hates

babypolis fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Feb 16, 2020

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Any time I draft a deck where I've grabbed a couple of awesome bombs and what I think is good support for them, I crash and burn. When I'm like "this is okay I guess I should pick up a couple of wins at least" I win the draft

Last 2 drafts I did went 0-3 and 1-3. just two awful runs back to back where every opponent has the answers and drop their bombs on curve . The most humiliating loss was to the WRBG deck that curved perfectly into their dumbass game plan with zero fixing (RG sacc deck with white for making tokens and green for warbriars blessing for some loving reason??)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

so how many of seconds of frantically mosuing over cards after that play?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Paul Zuvella posted:

Hey that dumb draft event came out and no one seems to care, what a shocker.

2 extremely average C grade decks and one that looks like hot doo doo garbage. Great learning tools

the black white deck is seriously godawful, a silver tier drafter could do better than that. wtf were they thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the best part of HS removing “sorry” is that they left it in the game because one card randomizes your emotes and you can get “sorry” off of it. They also added new custom “sorry” emotes to all new heroes released after the change.

The best part of HS was the seasonal emotes. Nothing like dropping a "happy fest of winterfell!" on your opponent after topdecking the win