Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Sorry, I guess I should have said "statistically significant"

That doesn't mean anything.

Deck thinning is a very slim advantage but it's nonetheless an advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I can't wait for them to add old cards with Banding to Arena. Bring back what Magic was like when it was good.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Oh god I'm having flashbacks of calling the judge over.

Wheel of Sun and Moon, Sages of the Anima and Suppression Field are in play, I activate the Grandeur ability of Linessa, Zephyr Mage. My hand is empty.

I sacrifice Linessa to Thermopod to pay for one mana of the Suppression Field cost, Wheel of Sun and Moon puts it on the bottom my library which has two other cards in it.

I activate Chromatic Sphere while paying for the other mana. Because Sages of the Anima replaces the draw with a reveal, I reveal my entire library, including Linessa, Zephyr Mage. I put Linessa, Zephyr Mage into my hand and discard it to pay for the Grandeur cost.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I'm loving the moderately pervasive presence of fenlucker, cause nullhide ferox is a beating and a half on turn 2.

Fenlurker exiles, not discards. Does it still work?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I can't wait for Fields - or Circuitous Route - to eat a ban.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Golos Field is 42% and they had to split it into multiple decks just to make it look less dire.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Doltos posted:

Honestly I've been having insane success with aggro gruul whooping on Golos and it feels like banning Fields of the Dead early isn't healthy and will set a precedent for future early bans. I didn't realize how much this deck absolutely wrecks Golos and I'm wondering why more people aren't running it to completely shift the meta.

Only change I want to see is an errata on Krasis that forces it to be successfully cast before granting the life gain and cards.

I can't even tell if the :ironicat: is intended or not here.

But talk about unhealthy precedents.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Arglebargle III posted:

Me lazy. Post good brawl deck.

Jace, Wielder of Mysteries

36 Persistent Petitioners
24 Island

... that's not a joke it'll clear the brawls fine with its actually okay winrate.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spiderdrake posted:

Was there Stomp, was there Questing Beast, I post this a lot on reddit
Oko-Winter, yes, seems so.

HasbrOko winter?

Green Winter.

Goddamn global warming.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Euuugh.

lovely Momir is indeed lovely.

I did get lovely Phaged for the first time ever though.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also no, this isn't just the usual whining. Oko Momir sucks just that bad. It sucks worse than the planeswalker Momir and that's saying something.

This is just flipping coins. It's mindnumbing and it takes way too long for what it is.

I'm pretty sure I've just flat out never played a worse format of Magic. I'd rather play Planeshift Commander for crying out loud.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
A bit "because I don't trust WotC to not price the card skins more expensively sold piecemeal", a lot "I like Momir in general and found even the planeswalker Momir tolerable".

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Cat would really need a timing restriction at the very least. As it is, good luck responding to it unless you just don't care about attacking, or have Embercleave.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

thespaceinvader posted:

4 Ebon Legion
4 Dire Moon
4 Fenlurker
4 Murderous Rider
4 Ayara
4 Nightmare Shepherd
4 Gray Merchant
1 Legion's End
2 Pharika's Libation
2 Orzhov Enforcer
4 Omen of the Dead

Plus lands including a couple of Castle Lochthwain. I think that's it.

Do you realize there's a reason people don't list decks like this and why Kashuno's way is right and yours is wrong?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, I should have just opened the game and copied the list.

Thank you. Makes it a lot easier to look at and tinker with.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr. Stab posted:

In regards to what "going infinite" means, I'm going infinite because the game is giving me daily gold faster than I want to spend it.

And, if you look at the payouts in terms of getting back things that you can spend on more entry fees, the game takes a huge cut of your entry fees. You need a very high winrate to break even, and even a world class player would be playing for pennies an hour. This is on top of your point about variance, and assuming infinite bankroll.

Going infinite means getting, on average, enough payouts from a draft to enter the next draft right away.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr. Stab posted:

Right, and I go through, like, one draft a week, So at the end of each draft, I've earned enough to enter the next one.

... you ARE trolling, right?

To go infinite in Arena, you need to average 750 gems per Bo1 draft, so 5.5 wins, just in case anyone's confused.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr. Stab posted:

My point is that "going infinite" is kind of a silly concept. The phrase assumes that time is not a factor. A better phrase would be "just barely breaking even." Making 50 cents an hour playing magic isn't "infinite," it's 50 cents an hour playing magic.

If the point is just to chain drafts together indefinitely, then why not take into account that drafts take time and I can only play so much magic a day?

So, yes. Good. I have no idea how I'm supposed to deal with someone posting something that dumb sincerely.

Anyway the term makes sense and has been established for years now, and your post ignores that some people might enjoy playing Magic, which, yes, is both objectively morally wrong as well indicative of deep problems with the victim's personality, but it still happens.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Oh, Magic Online had the players making money by going infinite. That changes the work/fun balance a lot.

You can't really take out the gems from Arena so the only reason to even aim to go infinite is to either prove you can or because you enjoy playing. It is possible to play enough where the daily gold doesn't cut it if you got nothing else to do. And presumably enjoy it?

And making up stupid or silly names for things is the Magic player habit directly between "complaining about variance" and "insisting the cards are investments", so that's never going away.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So I play every event because I'm an idiot and wonder if it could be fun.

The Thassa event is very much not fun.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Wow this Vadrok vs Chevill event is garbage.

How does WotC keep outdoing itself in making the event decks just not at all fun to play?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Wolfsbane posted:

Did the godzilla card rewards end? I just started a premier draft and I don't think I got one.

They sure did, with that latest downtime I think.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

InterrupterJones posted:

This poor bastard I just played against did Momir on 6, got Demonlord Belzenlok, exiled his whole library, and lost the next turn...why the gently caress is that an option??? Do they not think to filter their card additions for Momir to not have something that could make you immediately lose the game?

Changing this would, unironically, completely ruin Momir and make it a format that would cause a million complaints every time it came up.

They know it happens. They're not changing it. This is unironically a good WotC decision, something in short supply recently.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

lemonadesweetheart posted:

What is it about Magic that attracts so many douchebags?

Social interaction with competitive elements without a need for any social skills?

So, the chance to be better than a real person in a way that can be objectively quantified and doesn't require anything but memorizing a bunch of irrelevant poo poo.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fadam posted:

In honor of Canada Day, what's everyone's favorite Red/White card (NO OTHER COLOURS!!! especially not blue) in MTG history? Mine is either Boros Charm or Lightning Helix.

Tarmogoyf.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bust Rodd posted:

Right and my point is that it’s the only card in standard that works that way or uses that rule, and that rule is extremely obtuse and arcane and it’s just a really sloppy interaction and I’m sure it’s possible to clean up LOTS of the stupid “layers” bullshit without breaking formats.

In other news, I don’t think I’m gonna play too much standard unless I’m the Ugin player. Having every single strategy invalidated simply because your permanents have colors is just anti-fun. PawBlade, Izzet Prowess, Mono-Green, Rakdos... I just feel like every one of these decks just loses to Uro -> Ugin.

Just Loll

You're extremely wrong here. You would absolutely break formats, no you can't clean up the layers bullshit and if you put any effort into thinking about what you post this would be obvious.

The entire reason that bullshit exists is to eliminate corner cases where nobody's sure what happens and you'd have to ban a lot of cards to make that problem go away.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bust Rodd posted:

I understand but I’m trying to punish growth spirals on my turn as well

What you're trying to do is irrelevant when you come up with blatantly unprintable broken poo poo.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Reprint Price of Progress in Standard, WotC, you cowards.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

The Sean posted:

If they just banned every single land card and zero cost card then that would solve complaining about specific cards/archetypes.

loving coinflips loving me over every single time goddamn fix this poo poo WotC.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

GrandpaPants posted:

Not gonna lie most of my decisions are based on lands.

That being said, public service announcement, NEVER EVER PICK THE RAINBOW DECK. It was the most agonizing 2 wins ever. It was somehow worse than Momir.

I grabbed Rainbow Spooky and got a bunch of slow decks against me. Easy going.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Welp I've been playing Phyrexian Legion in jumpstart.

Glad to see the decks can be just entirely worthless.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I had some ten losses before the first win - off an opp's ragequit after misplaying early on.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bust Rodd posted:

You guys absolutely everyone just got their best decks banned out from underneath them, it’s ok. The only people reaping their rewards right now are the Mardu Humans early adopters and the Storm’s Wraths or Shatter the Skies you crafted will be good against them.

I was already playing Gruul. :shrug:

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bugsy posted:

Are the servers really bad right now? After every match its the waiting for server spinny wheel for 30 seconds at least.

Sure are.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If you want to play Standard right now, here's a helpful tip - don't!

Jesus WotC how do you keep doing this. This is the least fun Standard since Arena started and that's REALLY saying something by now.

When will they learn their lesson about "cards playable in any color can be a problem". Never? Yes.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

jmzero posted:

What's the colorless card that's ruining Standard right now? Fabled Passage? Ugin?

Turdcoil Serpent?

Ugin with the billion ways to get him out fast, and no deck which checks that, which means either you count on high volume with aggro ooor you're stuck in the really boring mirror match.

Not a fan of Stonecoil either, no. Way too good a blocker.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
If you want to deal with Ugin, you play a control deck with answers since there's so many ways to ramp to Ugin so fast now.

Wait, all of the decks with answers to Ugin also play Ugin?

Well hope you enjoy Ugin!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Time posted:

ugin is bad for standard for sure, and comes out too early, but it definitely is not being played on turn 4 very often

I see Ugin constantly on turn 5, and every so often they get a great draw that enables it on turn 4.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Time posted:

Yeah, 5 is realistic and happens a lot. Its also really bad for a low power format to have ugin around on 5. I just wanted to point out that it needs an absolute nuts draw to hit on 4 and that its statistically pretty unlikely

Getting your aggro deck blown out by a turn 4 Ugin after five turn 5 Ugins tends to stick in your mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, yeah probably.

Also last season doesn’t matter anymore and you are playing the game now and getting mad about losing to one card. Adjusting your deck to what context of the format you are playing in is a core part of magic.

I would say having the entire format warped around one card you are either playing or need to have a plan for isn't a core part of Magic, but then I think of the past few years. And Mirrodin.