Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Doltos posted:

Meh, almost as good as food golem

run both, obvs

lol if this expansion just makes rdw dominant despite rotation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lone Goat posted:

that adventure knight that kills a planeswalker or creature for bb1 and 2 life

and then is a 2/3 with lifelink, in case that 2 life was a problem

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Sinteres posted:

They changed the catch up event:

Up to 3 wins. 2 losses allowed.
50xp
150xp
250xp

allah akbar

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't know, at least half of them look fun to try out. Other than cauldron and mirror, the artifact cycle does look a little winmore. Mirror just looks like hot poo poo.

Control looks a lot better with

I still regularly see evolving wilds played so welp.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Adder Moray posted:

So I've been playing this for Standard 2020 in addition to a Rakdos Aristocrats deck. It's been a good time, though if you want your games to be super snappy and quick it's not for you. Your opponents won't scoop once you stabilize and turn the game around because they won't realize what's happening at first. And it doesn't kill quickly.

Still, it's a really fun deck to pilot.
code:
//Creatures (25):
2 Midnight Reaper
2 Izoni, Thousand-Eyed
3 Tithe Taker
3 Orzhov Enforcer
3 Priest of Forgotten Gods
4 Seraph of the Scales
4 Teysa Karlov
2 Cruel Celebrant
2 Corpse Knight

//Planeswalkers (4):
2 Vraska, Golgari Queen
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General

//Non-creature Spells (8):
2 Kaya's Wrath
2 Mortify
2 Prison Realm
2 Moldervine Reclamation

//Lands (23):
4 Plains
4 Swamp
3 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Temple Garden
4 Godless Shrine

Pretty sure I ran into someone with this game plan

unfortunately for them I got the dread presence engine rolling

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

I can't believe how quiet this thread is with the full spoilers up, any thoughts?

~White is Bad
~There will be multiple good red decks in this meta
~Green/Black Fat Guy reanimator will definitely be a deck
~Risen Reef is still the best draw engine in the format, IMO, but
~Teferi + Brazen Borrower is a truly disgusting archetype
~We finally have a U/B artifact deck and I'm pretty sure it'll be very strong
~Knights won't be good.

Sultai Yarok and at least one RDW deck will still exist and that's as much as I confidently know about archetypes.

edit also yeah baby teferi gets even better with adventures :shepface:

double edit I am totally going to try to incorporate Oko into any feasible decks, he seems like a Good Threemana Planeswalker and that's always scary

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 21, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Calling it now, Merfolk Secretkeeper is going to be The Worst to face in drafts. Common, probably not high on bot lists, cheap as poo poo and if you can mass it it's both a good wincon and blockers out the rear end.

also synergizes with seven card in graveyard synergies and bounce stuff and adventure synergies

I guess bounces are inherently adventure synergy

it's not the scariest thing in the format, but it's irritating and it'll happen sometimes

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

welp guess i have to figure out a deck that runs this

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dracula Factory posted:

Simic Flash looks even stronger now with wildborn preserver, I'm very pumped because I like causing others misery.

a worthy successor to the fallen Bicyclops

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Bedurndurn posted:

I didn't get mine until an hour or two after people started talking about it, so I guess it's staggered.

It looks like they're giving away a Fblthp card sleeve / avatar to people too.

oh poo poo, now i actually care

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ex post facho posted:

this deck is absurd

4 Blood Crypt
8 Swamp (339)
9 Mountain (343)
1 Fabled Passage
2 Castle Locthwain
4 Gutterbones
4 Rotting Regisaur
4 Spawn of Mayhem
4 Knight of the Ebon Legion
4 Bonecrusher Giant
4 Murderous Rider
4 Robber of the Rich
4 Stormfist Crusader
4 Fervent Champion

so many wildcards :negative:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

okay yeah i'll consider building towards that rakdos nonsense, it's great in the Any Deck event

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

So far it looks like this format is going to reward me for playing swamps so I'm very happy with it

you better be running 4x dread presence

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

yeah i already really hate mono-green with yorvo

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Still adjusting my RDW, but in addition to fervent knight and robber, I've been pretty pleased with rimrock knight (whose adventure AND creature both work quite well with fervent) and my currently-one-of the adventure giant.

tempted to finish the playset of the adventure giant, it's also in that nonsense rakdos aggro deck with way too many rares

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Current RDW build:

16 Mountain (XLN) 273
4 Robber of the Rich (ELD) 138
3 Rimrock Knight (ELD) 137
2 Runaway Steam-Kin (GRN) 115
2 Dwarven Mine (ELD) 243
4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
4 Risk Factor (GRN) 113
4 Shock (M19) 156
1 Experimental Frenzy (GRN) 99
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
3 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
2 Chandra, Fire Artisan (WAR) 119
2 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
4 Bonecrusher Giant (ELD) 115
2 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
3 Slaying Fire (ELD) 143

Bit wobbly on the skewers, if I'm really desperate to remove something on the board it's probably because it can block my dudes and otherwise slaying fire does 1 more face damage (edit: and is instant for fervent knight etc shenanigans). I could also see an argument for dumping some or all of the risk factors, since there's more mana-sinkiness and card-draw or psuedo-card-draw built in than in Old RDW.

In general though, it feels pretty good to run, is slightly more complex than Old RDW thanks to the robbers and adventures, and seems to perform pretty well so far.

i could also probably knock off another mountain, I'm still evaluating how it feels

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 27, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

I feel like crafting 4 Bonecrusher Giants is one of the safest bets you can make. It's the next Chainwhirler except it's splashable so it's going to be in every single Aggro and Midrange Deck featuring Red for the next two years. Hell, it's probably going to show up in Jeskai Walkers soon. I'm gonna try that out.

Yeah, I bit the bullet and crafted 2 more over my pulled 1 and crafted 1 and so far it's pretty rare for me to go "man, I wish this 4/3 with upside with a shock stapled to it was a random other spell from my deck".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A Moose posted:

Ok, now that we've established that, what shits all over simic? I saw a spicy Fires of Invention Jeskai Walkers deck that looks like it can overwhelm most decks with sheer value if it gets an early Fires. Then there's the Field of the Dead decks which didn't really get any worse.

If theres nothing that really shits on oko, we're in for a boring-rear end standard

I've blown up oko a couple times with my red aggro deck (or event expensive rakdos) and a Bolt The Bird policy - food tokens, in themselves, are annoying, but the oko decks I've seen so far can't really handle fast nasty aggro that well. If you can kill the first elk they have a problem.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

What do you guys think of Adventure cards so far

Very strong. I'm running that dumb 3/1 cantblock dwarf knight in my red aggro right now (and the giant but everyone knows it's good).

Also make for more interesting playing decision - much like playing a 4 mana krasis, you shouldn't be scared to just slam the creature without playing the adventure first.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

ptroll posted:

I just finished an hour long simic food mirror where one of the tipping points was me stealing my opponent's goose with oko so I could slowly get ahead on food per turn for endlessly recurring my two feasting troll kings faster than they other guy could recur their two feasting troll kings.

I take it back, I no longer support the concept of a simic food deck.

...but I'm going to build one eventually

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

seizure later posted:

sorry to inform everyone but Simic Flash is for boring virginal smoothbrains and rakdos aggro is back baby awooo

the rakdos aggro deck posted a couple pages ago is completely goddamn nuts and almost certainly vastly better than my rdw build

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah with these super clogged up boards I dont think the small ball cavalcade decks are gonna cut it. The rakdos decks meanwhile have got some serious beef in the deck and some of the beef even has some efficient removal spells attached to them.

In RDW v Cavalcade I frequently have my Fervent knights just hang around untapped to keep them from hitting MY face until I could Stomp their dudes and play a giant / unload risk factors / bring Ch4ndra online

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A Moose posted:

Simic food sounds like fun, oko definitely rules. Esper Doom sounds like sadistic fun too, but I have 0 of the required rares. I'm trying to remember, what were some of the good week 1 decks for WAR and M20, and did any of them stick around? How bad of an idea is it to craft non-busted stuff right now if you're on a budget?

Only craft safe things.

The good RDW bits, most or all of the Rakdos aggro bits, and at least some of the Simic food bits are safe though. Gilded Goose and Oko ain't going anywhere, Fervent / Robber / Bonecrusher are going into an awful lot of fast decks, Murderous Rider is the premier black removal rear end in a top hat,

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fervent's probably the riskiest of those but it's a 1/1 first strike haste for 1 with knight and equipment synergy (and so self synergy) so it's hard to imagine it becoming unrunnable even if they reprint chainwhirler or something.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

Alright I tested it myself. Looks like the +3/+3 is not an ability, so doesn't get wiped.

that actually makes some sort of sense, interesting

thank you for your contribution to science

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

my elemental cat's been asleep since the patch, but so have most? all? of the foxen i've seen

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Someone mentioned it earlier but they made it so if you have emotes muted your pet goes to sleep

well okay guess that's an acceptable sacrifice

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Sean posted:

Nice. The weekly wins just reset on Thursday but the client says they're resetting again tomorrow like usual.

that's what I figure, fortunately I already cleared it because I'm enjoying the first few days of Eldraine before oko and other degenerate nonsense that is not the degenerate nonsense I'm playing ruins the format forever

The Sean posted:

Probably a bunch of whales but also consider how much gold people saved up and also consider the collation error they had this week with packs. I got so many repeat rares for a black/red knights deck that it was a no-brainer.

yeah i got like 55 packs for gold plus the random extras plus a sealed run, and immediately burned all my wildcards on RDW / rakdos aggro

i am now out of rare wildcards but have a bunch of good rares that I think were all pretty safe spends

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah this is the deck that I just played and barely won against, I really underestimated Ayara and that sac ability.

If I make a second deck soon it might be trying to see if an Orzhov shell would work, I guess that would just lead to the Doom Foretold archetype though

Cats with only one 1x food engine in the whole deck though?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

xK1 posted:

I'm running a Rakdos version of the Cat-Oven combo, Mayhem Devil makes saccing the cat (and its food) extra fun!

catdos

rakdos aristocats

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

xK1 posted:

Dang that is a better name brb editing deck

I actually didn't notice that you named it catdos

kater posted:

Yeah vraska having exile was far more annoying than murderboy. He’s more like a more expensive but also faster at the same time chupacabra.

I don’t get the reason for the put into your own deck effect. Is it just so black doesn’t get to pull an instant from the gy?

yeah, especially in an expansion that has a good bit of raise dead

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 29, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Wacky Delly posted:

This is the first new set I've been around for, but the fluff is pretty fun so far.

the fluff is better than I've ever experienced and I'm a HUGE mirage fan

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Squinky v2.0 posted:

oko is my least favorite card in the set by a mile

do not want to play with this card, do not want to play against this card, not in constructed, and certainly not in limited

if you're gonna be an insurmountable advantage engine at least have the decency to end the game quickly

so far i have yet to lose a game to oko, but that's basically just luck on my part

did win one by robber-of-the-riching him off an opposing deck, though

turn two, robber, attack, exile oko; the opponent mouses over the robber, mouses over his exileyard, and presumably gives a long sigh, before deciding to play it out

Bedurndurn posted:

That feed cats into the oven deck is so loving fun. Abusing blockers getting sacked to avoid lifelinkers gaining anything is the most wonderful galaxy brain poo poo.

I ran into my first self-mill deck. I was going very cautiously because I had no idea what the hell was going to happen, but I ended up just punching him in the face till he died while he hosed around on his own weird gameplan that didn't really involve me in any way.

Oven Cat is my next deck after finishing rakdos aggro, I think.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 30, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Doltos posted:

Dreadhorde plus Oko turns the tokens into 4/4s and allows another zombie army to be made

in addition to the normal sacrifice options

baking bolas' zombie army into pies

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Boy of Joy posted:

I’ve been jamming a Golos field deck in BO1 and everyone is playing simic flash and owning me. Not convinced it’s gonna be the best deck in the free event.

Yeah I'm completely undecided on what to run - my Rakdos aggro is tons of fun and I'm getting better at piloting it but what if the meta is anti-aggro and I lose :ohdear:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I don't know the actual numbers but Gruul aggro can finish off Field often enough it doesn't make me want to throw my mouse out the window.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Kawabata posted:

Can't believe no one is complaining about Knight of the Ebon Legion, card's broken as absolute gently caress.

Good early and late, buffable to the moon, deathtouch, knight tribe. Feels like it should've been a 1/1 but then someone went ehhhhhh let's turn it into the most obnoxious bullshit.

it's extremely good, but it's not game-breaking

probably the best one-drop in standard, but it's a substantial mana sink and you're not going to actually get many counters on it

(my other choice for best one-drop is probably pelt collector, because it's gonna stack up a lot more counters and be a real rear end in a top hat)

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 9, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

You fuckers, you told me literally 2 days ago to go ahead and blow all my wildcards on a Golos deck. "Don't worry, if they ban it you'll get the wild cards back"... yeah for one set... not the other 20 rares! I'm ruined!

edit: OK so, for best of 1, what is the absolute fastest deck to either win, or prompt a Concede, or make it obvious to me I should concede. Something like last rotation's Mono-U or Mono-R where it is super obvious to the opponent when they are hosed.

i'd feel bad for you but you willingly chose to play golos fields so you deserve everything you get and more

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

drainpipe posted:

Yeah, they’re the only must listen mtg content for me. Glad they’ve been upping their content rate with the YouTube channel. (God I hate the term content)

fadam posted:

ADL is really good. Gottlieb seems like a nice, genuinely smart guy, but his tone and cadence and overly-sesquipedalian (I had to look this word up, I’m punk rock) way of speaking reminds me of all the law-students I met in uni and kind of drives me nuts. GerryT is the goat.

Two other good MTG Podcasts are The Dive Down (Goon hosted, but entirely about Modern), and MtG Grindcast.

I'm a fairly big fan of Limited Resources too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

axeil posted:

The biggest mistake of Eldraine seems to be that there aren't any really good viable Aggro decks. Knights are cool but aren't fast enough to outspeed Golos and everything else is pretty crappy value. I guess there's a RDW but it's not very good compared to what it was prior to rotation.

Gruul aggro-ish is fast enough to have a decent matchup with field and oko. Norns talked me around on running embercleave as a backbreaker.

the way riot works means that if you happen to run into cavalcade you can slow down instead and just squash them

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 14, 2019