Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Technowolf posted:

I'm going to be really sad when mutate rotates.

I hated it the first few times I played against it, but the more I play it (and against it) the more I enjoy it, probably more than morph, which I feel is a sort a similar investment/creature flexibility mechanic. (I took a veeeerrrryyy long break between Innistrad and M21, and so I missed basically nine years of Magic R&D.) (I thought I was out, but it keeps pulling me back in.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

8th-snype posted:

I also just jumped back in after last playing standard in that block. Maybe one of the reasons I don't hate Embercleave (besides loving it when RDW is king) is that I remember Wolfrun decks. Sure it wasn't a surprise like a flashed in sword but it still required that you answered the target or die most of the time.

My main competitive and heavily-invested time was Kamigawa/Ravnica Standard through the first Zendikar, with a LOT of collecting of old Extended/Legacy poo poo. Sold most of my collection right before Modern got big and felt so loving burned by that experience that paper collecting has been... less fun. Luckily a lot of reprinting has brought prices back down, but I'm still too drat poor to buy it all back now. So here I am playing Arena for close to free and using the closest things I can to decks I understand from back in the day. (Rogues is pretty Faeries-like, current RDW is a lot like Gruul Beats, UG Ramp can play a lot like UG Tron, Yorin is looking a bit like a Lark/Solar Flare amalgam, etc.)

Thinking about maybe playing Clerics or something in the near future, but the non-optimized RDW pile I'm running has gotten me into the Golds so far, and that's mostly just doing dailies/weeklies. Might make an effort to actually grind next month, but probably not.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

lmao getting rage-roped by an extremely not-mad guy who preemptively gg'd when he Shattered me 10 turns ago. Feels so good

e: including a literal upkeep stop on his death turn just so he could rope some more. Mad respect for my man

There is absolutely nothing I hate in Arena more than the smug gg. Especially considering the frequency from which I come back from them.

Sometimes I think the game would be better with no communication interface at all.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Technowolf posted:

I hope that whoever was involved in making the blue/black rogue archetype is plagued by horrible nightmares of all the fun they've killed.

I will say it's one of the few decks I've played where the mirror match is actually kind of fun.

I don't like playing against Crabs in that shell, though. Lurrus is my favorite hot tech I've seen in it, though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Played through the event last night with mill/rogues because I am bad at Magic and couldn't get that sixth win so I just threw together a green Scute Swarm/mutate (Scutate?) ramp and went to town. So many cycling decks, good lord.

That's probably my favorite part about Arena, though, is that when you get tired of playing one thing over and over, you can just switch and play a few games of non-optimized Johnny-style jank and do something stupid/cool and all that angst melts away.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Hooplah posted:

Just 0-3'd a sealed by facing off against opponents three games in a row that played the same poo poo i did but a little bigger (pool, deck). like, i play master trinketeer and oppo plays the same card then follows up with a metallic mimic. oppo plays fabrication module, i play fabrication module, then oppo blows mine up and grows his creatures into a win. i have some feel bads right now.

This is how I know I'm bad at Magic. Because I've played a good many Feel Bads games.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Me: *gets hosed by a dozen mill/Rogues decks*
Me: *decides to finish mono blue mill deck list*
Me: *proceeds to get matched with nothing but aggro decks*

Good times.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Captain Invictus posted:

Goddamn dude no need to be an rear end in a top hat

Change the deck archetype you play and learn to hate something else that just happens to hose your deck specifically. Play RDW and learn to hate monowhite. Play mill yourself and learn to hate rogues/cycling. Play RG landfall and learn to hate ramp.

Bo1 feels really rock-paper-scissors to me, at least right now, but I get to play a ton of games quickly that way for dailies and/or grinding. If I actually cared about winning, I'd play more Bo3.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Rythe posted:

How the hell does match making work in Arena? I am a new player that just unlocked all the multi-color decks and working on grinding out some quest to get gold for drafting and I am repeatedly getting matched against shrines, mill, dimir rogues and other decks that just stomp the poo poo out of me. I don't think I played against another pre-con in close to 20 matches and I am not even playing on the ladder. Getting frustrating loosing all the time and it's hard as hell to get 15 wins a week at this rate.

Make sure you get every available free pack you can through the store promo codes, then see what you have available between that and the tutorial decks to come up with something fairly competitive using those decks as bases.

Also I suggest picking up the Set Mastery for the releases. It is, at least at the moment, a pretty cost-effective way to build a collection through just playing the game. You end up getting a pack close to every other level, plus the gold you earn can go into packs, too, so you end up with a decent level of packs over time. And all that opening nets you a decent amount of wildcards so you can work toward a really good deck or two.

And learn to love losing. It's a part of life, especially when it comes to knocking out dailies.

Also the matchmaking sucks.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I'll just let this screenshot speak for itself, it was the crowning achievement of a 25 minutes grind with 4 cards left in my deck.

(I was laughing way too hard to screenshot the impact on his face)

Oh noooooooooo

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I was sitting in an airport and abusing the ungodly fast free wifi by building a deck and finishing FNM in about 20 minutes total. Gruul Adventures/Landfall is a pretty good deck.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Julius Seizure posted:

contrast that with paying $50 for a copy force of negation or teferi time raveler on mtgo and it's a no brainer

This is specifically why I'm playing Arena and not MTGO or paper Magic anymore (I mean, aside from the whole pandemic thing.)

I'll still grab a precon in paper if it seems interesting, because most of them have Arena codes in them, but I just can't justify the cost of playing this dumb game for anything but free.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Me: *lands Ugin* Sweet, I'll just wipe the board and go to town!

Also me: ...but what if I just pick off this one donk and let their Midnight Clock trigger next turn? That can't be that bad, right?

:negative:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Drawing 7 cards is generally a good thing for most decks

Yep. It was just pure hubris on my part. Trying to win on the spot instead of the next turn.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Just cracked plat, largely due to mono U mill. I think my favorite experience is beating decks specifically built to try to beat me (Yorion, Rakdos) while losing to random Warrior piles with Embercleave.

I think I'm going to try to get up to tier 3 just so I don't have to worry about silver at all when the season ends, but other than that, I feel like I did alright in my first season of actually trying to do anything. I might even try some Bo3 next month to smooth out some of the variance I end up with in matchups. But now I'm mostly gonna fart around with jank and try to get my mastery levels up for more cards.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

boo_radley posted:

Turned out ok because he was cycling.

:perfect:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I just played a Skyclave Apparition with no valid target and my opponent was highlighting it and spamming 'Thinking..."
It was to boost Kabira Takedown to kill their super-Mutated Shoreshark :ssh:

I love how people are completely unwilling to play dudes unless they get maximum leverage from them. It's especially a thing with Adventure cards, but just in general.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

For anyone doubting the power of CrabSong, I just milled someone to death who was running a 180-card mono-black deck.

Sure, they were probably running jank because 180 cards, but holy poo poo I milled out a 180-card deck. I was down to 7 cards in my own library, but dropping three Teferi's on a single turn is funny as hell. The second Song is what really pushed it over, though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Captain Invictus posted:

question, are there any good decks that are primarily uncommon/common focused? I have a shitload of uncommon/common wildcards(by design, of course), and could throw them in a grinder to churn out some black or white deck I guess

Aside from 8 lands, Zenith Flare Cycling is entirely commons/uncommons.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

I've been playing Crabsong and having a blast as well. A lot of the time, the opponent concedes as soon as I play the crab or a merfolk on turn 1, so many people don't even want to deal with mill poo poo. Earlier I milled almost 40 cards in 1 turn when I had a couple of cobras, a crab, innkeeper, song and tutelage out. I disagree with anyone who says the innkeeper isn't useful, his extra card draw really helps the synergy.

Here are my stats, 3-0 since replacing beanstalks with merchants, I did feel like the beanstalks weren't useful.

I'm mostly torn on the fact that Beanstalk is targeted mana fixing plus an enabler plus a fat butt to keep you alive a bit longer, but I agree that the creature side is so expensive as to be almost detrimental. I love pulling one early, but hate trying to actually use the creature side. Might have to try this out.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It's Durdling dot deck and I love it.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

IMJack posted:

Spend all day getting bullied by Mill and Rogues

Put together a self-mill deck to hunt Mill and Rogues

Not a single Mill or Rogue deck in a dozen matches

(Instead all opponents are running Scav Ooze and Great Henge)

That's the matchmaking, friend!

One of the fun parts of CrabSong is that it sorts into the Jank pile. You're playing other stupid fun decks. Usually.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I currently have a shitload of hatred for BW Clerics. It's not because it's necessarily good, but it's so synergistic it's stupid. And also because I've wanted to build it since the Zendikar spoilers hit and I just don't have the wildcards now because I build a bunch of other (arguably) better decks. So here's me sitting here getting blown out by a different gimmicky deck. Stupid sexy clerics.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

evilweasel posted:

i have tried this crabsong deck and i have successfully milled out one person in four games

that person was me, oops, think i don't quite have the hang of it

That's half the fun. Have I flown too close to the sun??

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Oh we're complaining about companions? gently caress Lurrus so hard. The most obnoxious part about it isn't the ability (while that's annoying as hell on its own) but that it's black, which means whatever you want to do with it, you're just gonna do it forever, because it's never staying off the board for more than a turn.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

My opponent just slam-forfeited because they killed my enchanted Eidolon with 3 of them on the board :laffo:

e: my next opponent just forfeited on the turn they had me dead to rights :psyduck:

I will forfeit at the drop of a hat for any reason at all.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah but I thought the game has a "deck power level" thing for matchmaking to keep rogues way the gently caress away from jank. Match them up only to other Rogues players so they can all play with themselves.

Maybe your pile of jank is as good as Rogues and you just suck.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

fadam posted:

good news for all you freaks and perverts jamming Crabsong:

I really love these alt styles. Crab and Brushfire are the only ones I want but I don't think I have enough gold for both.

...or maybe even one.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

It's def not broken as a companion, since it can't include itself in the deck, but it sure is annoying as a four-of in a bunch of decks with other gameplans (Rogues, Clerics, B or WB enchantments). You absolutely have to answer it in that case, sometimes multiple times.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I don't believe so, no. Maybe it was someone copying the deck not realizing it's useless? :v:

By the way, when would it be a good value to buy the Mastery Pass? I'm up to Lv83, currently.

Personally I think it's "good value" at any point as long as you're making consistent XP.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Double posting to say I got roped for the first time ever today while playing CrabSong in the ladder (plat tier 4, where I've been stuck since the 2nd of the month.)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lone Goat posted:

Making sure chuckle heads can't make 15000 scutes is probably the biggest improvement they could make to the client right now.

I think the most I got up to once was 1050ish.

The funniest experience was yesterday, though, when I played an effective mirror and we BOTH had about 400 scutes and... my opponent decided to assign every single block. I couldn't do anything but laugh.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

fadam posted:

The unfortunate reality of MtG is that regardless of format when most good decks fire on all cylinders they’re incredibly obnoxious to play against if you stumble even a little bit.

The scenario you mentioned is bad, but how about a resolved Doom Foretold when they have a bunch of stuff to feed it and lots of life to stop you racing it, or a rogues deck resolving a draw 4 after tempoing you out. I don’t see Adventures as being any more egregious on terms of feelbads than any of the other good decks in standards past.

I think the biggest feelbad about Standard right now is the linearity of most decks combined with what feels like a lack of interactivity. Right now it feels like after turn two or so, you know exactly how the game will shake out. Rather than a tennis-like back-and-forth, it just feels like both players are facing away from the net and just bouncing their serves off the fence to themselves. I'd argue that's why the winning decks are those that force interactivity. There are no bad threats, only bad answers, etc.

But the Voltron-like nature of so many of the decks makes it seem more degenerate right now. But there aren't really any decks now that don't map almost one-to-one to similar decks from the past, it's just that most build-around-me cards have already been built around by RnD.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lone Goat posted:

What are these supposed deck that don't have interaction?

Clerics, ramp, most Mutate decks, mono-W lifegain/devotion, mono-B devotion, Warriors, mill. To a lesser extent, mill-focused Rogues, Cycling, RG Adventures, and RDW. A game between most of these decks is just who builds their psuedo-combo tipping point first.

Yorion, Rogues, and other Esper/Dimir control are built specifically to gently caress around with linearity by disrupting the pieces of the above decks. And yes, Bo3 would eliminate the problem of linearity, but Yorion, etc, are good in Bo1 as well because they're flexible and interactive.

I mean, I was poking around various Facebook threads and (when not reporting transphobic poo poo directed at Burchett), people were legit asking the wincon for Dimir and Sultai Control. That's a large segment of Magic players: people who need to be told explicitly how to win by their deck.

(I should note that I'm really bad at Magic, and even if I know metagame poo poo, I'm still terrible in a game and still play linear poo poo and Bo1 because I don't really care anymore.)

edit: I'm absolutely on the side of Adventure being just fine, especially from a historical standpoint. They're split cards you can usually get both sides of, or flashback or something similar.

rickiep00h fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Dec 9, 2020

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lone Goat posted:

Oh, all the bad decks (and ramp). Well, carry on then I guess.

It's like you didn't even read my original post.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Lone Goat posted:

You complained that Standard isn't interactive, then listed a bunch of dogshit linear decks that fold to the slightest bit of interaction, then go on to list a bunch of decks that actually have interaction. So, does Standard have interaction or not? it does

You're playing Crabsong in bo1. You have a leg to stand on about a lack of interaction in standard because you're doing everything in your power to avoid it. It's not Standard's fault you're intentionally inflicting a "feelbad" on yourself.

I have no idea why you're looking for advice on Facebook of all places but the win conditions in the control decks are usually the ones with a power and toughness on them (though sometimes you have to read the text on cards Crawling Barrens to find it). Some decks instead win by milling but that's less frequent in most environments, and not the control decks you listed.

Then you said you're bad at magic and don't care about magic. :shrug:

You're projecting an awful lot of things I didn't say.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

PleasantDirge posted:

No, they didn't

The assumption that I was complaining starts a whole line of incorrect assumptions about my statements, not the least of which being that I didn't actually disagree with anyone and also acknowledged several of the points LG brought up as being true.

Furthermore, several supposedly opposite things can be true at the same time, especially when it comes to metagame perceptions. But the main thing is acknowledging that a) "bad decks" are in fact part of the meta, and b) they are bad because they are linear, and the decks that force interactivity are therefore the winning decks (which I said.) Both of those statements can be and are true.

And if anyone wants to talk about how Magic is "intended" to be played, it's Bo1 for ante like it was originally. And since then, I have yet to see a single non-organized play mention of Bo3 in any WotC statement ever. (Oh no, hyperbole!) I'd be extremely surprised to find out most players even know what a sideboard is. The competitive side has always been a smaller part of the community.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

fadam posted:

All indicators suggest that this Standard is pretty good (all non-combo archetypes viable, no clear 'best deck', interaction and sideboarding necessary for success) but some people are still under the impression it sucks and aren't really able to adequately explain why they dislike it.

...which is something I was speaking to, trying to explain a point that gets dismissed out of hand. The experience that people in this thread have is pretty atypical, as it is with goons in most games.

The assumption that I was complaining while agreeing that the format is fine is really what confuses me so much about LG's hostility (though that is apparently just LG's "thing.")

As for "I don't care about Magic": I wouldn't play CrabSong if I cared about results, and I certainly wouldn't be sitting on Plat Tier 3 in ranked. It's possible to understand things and then disregard them in pursuit of different goals.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

rickiep00h posted:

...which is something I was speaking to, trying to explain a point that gets dismissed out of hand. The experience that people in this thread have is pretty atypical, as it is with goons in most games.

The assumption that I was complaining while agreeing that the format is fine is really what confuses me so much about LG's hostility (though that is apparently just LG's "thing.")

As for "I don't care about Magic": I wouldn't play CrabSong if I cared about results, and I certainly wouldn't be sitting on Plat Tier 3 in ranked. It's possible to understand things and then disregard them in pursuit of different goals. (I also play other decks when I *do* care.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

fadam posted:

I don't think I understand, how can a bunch of linear, unplayed decks be ruining people's experiences when everything suggests that the interactive, played decks are more than capable of keeping them in check?

Because every single one of the decks I mentioned are, in fact, played, a lot, on ladder and unranked, at least at plat and below.

Single tournament results are not indicative of the format as a whole. Individual sectors of the format (high-level ladder, Bo3, Bo1, whatever) are not indicative of the format as a whole. Anyone that's played a paper FNM knows that, and anyone that plays kitchen table Magic knows that.

And the number of complaints about control in general and Yorian specifically shows that a lot of people are unwilling to make a step toward playing better decks to do well. These players matter to WotC just as much as ladder grinders. They exist, even if they "don't matter" in the specific scheme of in this thread.

People think that Standard is overly busted right now because in their experience, they're playing against a dozen versions of Affinity, Faeries, and the same lockdown control they've been playing against since 1995, and the variance in Bo1 highlights that. That's it, that's all. It's not a difficult concept. That other people have different experiences doesn't invalidate them, even if the experience of higher-level play shows that their experiences might not be true over the whole of the format.