Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Oddly, my Arena account that I can't seem to log in to anymore does not send an email when I ask for a password reset. I wonder why...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Cool, got my account back this morning.

Now I have no idea what's going on in standard because I quit the moment Oko got spoiled. He is getting banhammered, right?

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Bust Rodd posted:

We didn’t even know what food did when Oko was spoiled.

We didn't need to know what food did to know that card was dumb.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Okay, I've managed to adapt one of my old decks that had minimal losses from rotation, but what sort of direction might I be looking at for Eldrane additions?

Also very pleased at today's bans.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Burnt out right after Eldrane came out and it was obvious how insane Oko was, but I heard there were human draft pods on Arena now. That caught my attention. Updated the client, logged in, and looked at updating my Arclight Phoenix deck and uh wow they sure printed some good cards for this archetype. :stare:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I just discovered that turbofog takes gyruda's lunch money. :D

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Turbofog feeling better than ever with all the Gyruda around lately. Uro is a particularly sick gain for this archetype.

Still miss Azcanta. Badly.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Getting acclimated to the new card pool. Sharknado is kind of stupid with Wilderness Rec.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
It just hit me that since returning for Ikoria I haven't seen a single WW or RDW deck in ranked.

This is paradise.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm sad that Agent being a viable card makes turbofog just not work.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Dr. Stab posted:

They've printed a bunch of planeswalkers that don't protect themselves. Nobody ever plays them. This isn't an edict from on high, it's how the game works.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I mean hell, current Tamiyo has seen play in multiple standard decks while legal and does nothing to directly defend herself.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Elephant Ambush posted:

I only see Historic bundles 2 and 3 available. Are they that loving stupid that they removed the first bundle from the store?

Gotta get that FOMO money.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Y'know, at least down in gold, I'm really enjoying Historic. People are playing all sorts of wacky stuff down here.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'll be pretty disappointed if Companion gets nerfed into oblivion (which the "leaked" change p. much would do). Decks cheating Agent into play are the only things I hate playing against in standard atm.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Did some quests over morning coffee earlier and am loving the deletion of Agent from the format. Jeskai walkers is playable again!

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Swapped Uro out for good ol' Niv-Mizzet and the meta shakeup event was an easy one game. I don't know why they left rec legal for it.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Looking for advice on superfriends now that Lukka-Agent isn't around to totally demolish it. Suspect that I need more Shatter, especially if non-Agent Lukka decks stick around, but Clarion does the job most of the time. Big Narset is an experiment, albeit a mildly positive one so far.

Also appreciating Arena because I would never, ever shell out for this manabase in paper.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Y'know, there are times when I'm rooting for the other guy's deck.

Still gonna take those rank pips tho.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Companions may have gotten hammered in standard, but you know where they're still really good?

As commanders.

I've gone over the top of even Niv decks with this sort of thing.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Some Uro mirrors are very fun!

Math is for blockers.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The reprint thing is kind of a big deal. I was mega-pissed about the M21 temples after accumulating a (near) full set of M20 temples.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If you get a mask down with the GW deck then you pretty much instantly win though. Not a whole lot RU can do about a creature that big.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I don't always get to live the dream, but when I do...

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm not willing to call this "good" in a world where Tef3ri exists, and I'm not certain that this is the right build, but... this thing has been cranking out Bo1 wins since I added Lofty Denial this week. In pretty classic style, it's a control deck that barfs incidental card advantage onto the field.

It's also really fun to play, which is a bonus.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Too many strong cards (scooze, Teferi, Narset) still wreck Finale, so I'm looking at Naya Feather again instead. Could use feedback, esp. between the three non-Feather three-drops. Suspect Lurrus is just better than the other two.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Barely scraped into low diamond, asking for deck advice so maybe the next time isn't as bad.

Visual picture:

Yes, it's Bo1. You can tell by the lack of sideboard and five million maindeck sweepers. :v:

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 27, 2020

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

GrandpaPants posted:

Other recommendations would be Narset to dig for Wraths/Doom Foretold or Shark Typhoon as an alternative finisher.

Actually had Narsets in this deck originally, but my typical experience against aggro was "cast Narset, (maybe) find a wipe, but die before the turn came back."

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Control matchups are fun atm.

Pictured: opponent committing honorable sudoku via Uro attack trigger.

Bonus edit: the Spyglass is naming Sparkhunter Masticore.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Aug 2, 2020

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
That's because UW players are the giant assholes who want to play draw-go control again, which Teferi killed.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So this block artisan format is kinda strange. Teferi's Tutelage mill seems like the strongest archetype I've encountered so far, with U/B(/x?) shrines also having a ton of staying power atm (I'm enjoying a Grixis version). Enchantment removal seems real important and people aren't running much at all.

e: Though the real reason the enchantment decks are getting away with a lot of their poo poo is that Pestilent Haze exists.

e2: My list:

Though I think it's straight-up better if you replace the Deathless Knights with Teferi's Tutelage (and tweak the mana base). I just don't have any of the latter and don't want to burn uncommon wildcards on a playset.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 23, 2020

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So uh, what beats Temur Adventures in block/standard 2021? It feels like everything else is nowhere near the same power level.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'm trying very hard to find a way to make the Amonkhet-block Nissa work and I haven't managed it. Send help. Please.

e: WAR Nissa just seems like a better choice 9/10 times. Maybe more.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
So when you're on the play, with a non-bolted Llanowar Elves, your initial scry includes a land, and your opponent can't attack for 3 on their second turn, the UG Nissa is a decent acceleration plus an ongoing value-generator. :v:

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
What the actual gently caress. That U/G pile I posted trying to make Amonkhet Nissa work? After a few tweaks, it's winning. Repeatedly. Against meta archetypes like UW control, Rakdos sacrifice, Rakdox/Grixis xerox, multiple Collected Company archetypes... I don't know what's going on. I dropped multiple tiers with the first couple builds, but have gained them all back in a day of near-constant winning. Most opponents just... run out of gas trying to deal with the constant stream of stupid fat asses this deck drops on the table. Pact has to be the all-star though, given that it lets you tap out to apply pressure while still monkey-wrenching the other guy's key component using your mana advantage.

Like by any objective measure this thing cannot be good. There's a better build of this out there somewhere. But just a few card tweaks to add some broken endgame (Henge has been nuts every time I drew it) and Pact to catch stuff like Teferi after I tap out and it's just suddenly rocking people. Gotta be variance, what with all the 1x-2x cards, but that means there's a distilled version out there in the ether that'll do this consistently.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
After playing a bunch of UG Nissa, I think that I've got her worked out as a card. She's a jack-of-all-trades card. At three mana, she can ramp (+2 scry, then +0 next turn for the untapped land) but not as consistently as other cards. At 8+ she can be a multi-target [planeswalker] removal or burn spell (and stay behind at 9+ mana), but usually isn't going to be as impactful as Ugin. On the other hand I'm almost never unhappy to have a copy of UG Nissa in my hand, while there are definitely times where pure ramp or pure top end are effectively dead draws. Same reason why I'm digging Visionary over, say, Cultivate; it's a body, and the extra card isn't necessarily land which makes it a better late-game draw. Helps the deck to just never ever run out of gas, which has been very helpful against UW, Bant, UG, and mono-G "tron" decks that can draw dead more often if you whack their critical spells with Pact.

Still almost certainly worse against the field than the meta archetypes. Going second against Rakdos or green aggro can be particularly rough, though it's fine on the play.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 7, 2020

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Both limited experience (I'm bad, so grain of salt) and all of the expert advice I've read or listened to says to take good cards first and worry about signaling later.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
The mastery tab is greyed out with the caption "the store is not available," but the store tab is unaffected.

Think I'll check back in on this shitshow later.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Yes, kindly gently caress off:

Historic has just been a neverending parade of Goblins since the weekend. I don't really know why, unless they're hoping to match up against Omnath and goldfish faster (which Goblins do, I believe). It's a rough matchup for my particular deck though, since I've only got Pact for countermagic and they tend to have way more critical threats (since Muxus and Krenko both end the game). Still like my matchup against everything else, but it's hard to feel good about that when 60-70% of the field is Goblins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Aside from the (large) fundamental issue of gambling in any loot box system, which Magic is and has always been, I'd much rather have the wildcard system than dusting.