Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly
MTG newbie here. When I save up enough gold to buy a pack, should I generally be buying packs for the most recent set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

VictualSquid posted:

That is plan B. Plan A should be drafting unless you dislike/suck at the current draft format.

I heard we get cheap ZNR drafts today. Does anybody have a good draft guide that was written after the set release?

I figured as a newbie that I would suck at drafting. Should I just... save up my gold then and not buy packs quite yet?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

VictualSquid posted:

I drafted a wayward guide beast and tried to put it into my deck. But landfall wasn't open, so I can't run anything where it is actually useful.

It is hilariously dumb.
In turns where i draw no lands I can tap a mountain in my first main, bounce it and replay it untapped. Which is an upside, I suppose.

That's the kind of thing I would never think to do, because I'm still a clueless n00b. Like seriously, I keep getting rekt in bronze drafting matches, but it's so much fun. Part of it may have to do with my inability to not draft rares/uncommons when they have no place whatsoever in my deck, but they're so shiny man!

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

As a new player umm, how do you guys manage to not spend, like, all your money on this?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

little munchkin posted:

90% of the people who post here asking for help with their drafts would see a significant increase to their winrate by forcing themselves to draft 2 color decks 100% of the time. no other advice would be necessary

Shhhh, I need some free wins, it's real tough out there.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Billy Gnosis posted:

Weird question, is flavor text never shown in Arena? Is it rarer than perhaps it once was or am I just never paying attention at the right time?

If you hover the card it will popup beside like the keyword tooltips do.

e: better answer below

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 8, 2020

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

So what's legal in the non-descript "Play" queue? I just saw my opponent use a Murder and realized that the starter mono-color decks aren't Standard legal either.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

BioThermo posted:

Any card in the arena beginner set (searchable via s:ANB in arena) is treated as evergreen legal in standard Bo1, including the play queue, standard ranked queue, the brawl queue, and today's FNM standard queue.

Huh, explains a lot, thanks. Kinda weird but ok.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Man, Lucky Clover being Legendary would make such thematic sense and would probably bring it into line nicely as well.

Also, can I just say that Scryfall is such a good site that I find myself browsing cards just because? Seriously a fun site to use.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

As a new player, can I get too carried away with raredrafting? It's so tempting to just take the rare, deck strength notwithstanding. I'm talking specifically with regards to quick drafts, btw.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Wait, what's the point of crafting what they ban? Don't you just, best case, get the WC back? Or by craft do you guys mean "open a ton of packs trying to pull"?

e: nvm I'm dumb

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Got my first 7-0 in Zendikar Quick Draft just as the event was closing. Played super fast and intuitively the last few games because I was worried it would not allow me to continue racking up wins once the even elapsed (still not sure if this is really the case?). Luckily managed to go undefeated and began my last game with like 4 mins left. It was intense. Drafted a killer BW cleric deck with double gold borders and three (3) Marauding Blight Priests. Think I had like 10 Clerics total. Such a nuts archetype when everything aligns, as you just stick clerics to the board and Swarm/Binding all their stuff, locking them into turn after turn of life loss and chip damage. I hated playing against it so I decided to draft one of my own woooooo.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

SalTheBard posted:

Mill is so much fun. It's a style of play I've never used before. I'm amazed at how much thought can go into it. I had a Triple Tutelege / Into the story (24 cards) and then double Crab with a Passage (12 cards). I milled off 36 cards in one round. I got a snap concede. It was so much fun.

Who hurt you?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

I just wanna Massacre Wurm a Scute deck into the ground. It's all I live for now.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

So like, why isn't Landfall "the first time a land comes under your control this turn..."? What is this fetchland bullshit?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Lone Goat posted:

Your know Omnath got banned last week right?

fadam posted:

It’s good when mechanics are playable.

What landfall mechanics even still exist that are obnoxious?

evilweasel posted:

Much of the point of landfall is to reward it as a build-around by having ways to trigger it more than once.

Sodomeow posted:

because then landfall just sucks

I'm probably just salty because I lost to 3 loving crabdecks in a row but something about playing the fetchland providing a trigger just makes me wanna spray my brains across the wall. Like the fetchland itself is not a *real* land in my book, it's a WC land with attached drawback as a result. And it wouldn't "just suck" automatically if changed, obviously the triggers themselves would be adjusted as well. Omnath was just the largest tumor in the cancer mass as far as I'm concerned.

Justin_Brett posted:

reprint Tireless Tracker
gently caress your shut up man.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Can someone tell me what I'm supposed to be doing with the Spikefields Hazards in this deck? I guess as an extra ping to face or as a way to pick off a creature threat? They just never feel relevant enough when not becoming clutchlands.

Rakdos Party Aggro

2 Acquisitions Expert
4 Ardent Electromancer
3 Blackbloom Rogue // Blackbloom Bog
3 Bloodchief's Thirst
4 Bloodfell Caves
4 Fireblade Charger
4 Grotag Bug-Catcher
2 Grotag Night-Runner
4 Heartfire Immolator
4 Malakir Blood-Priest
2 Malakir Rebirth // Malakir Mire
6 Mountain
2 Ravager's Mace
4 Shatterskull Minotaur
4 Spikefield Hazard // Spikefield Cave
5 Swamp
3 Zagras, Thief of Heartbeats

Serotoning fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Oct 22, 2020

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Lol, right, of course.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Mat Cauthon posted:

Where's the set default land art feature? :argh:

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Holy hell, every game in mid-Gold is against some pain-in-the-rear end Crab/Rogue mill deck, or against some pain-in-the-rear end Scute/Felidar deck. Zendikar Quick Draft can't return soon enough.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

GrandpaPants posted:

Does wotc not want people to play MTGA anymore or is this 30 second delay after every match not intended

Are people being hyperbolic with this? The delay has definitely lengthened for me after the patch but it's maybe ~5 seconds or so as opposed to nearly instantly as it was before. Is yours really taking half a minute? The pause feels quite natural in a vacuum where the previous near-instant skip didn't exist and this leads me to believe it is entirely intentional.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Opinionated posted:

I've been having fun with this Boros Warriors deck I made through ingeniously searching for "warriors". It's somewhat budget friendly, as a lot of the cards are given to you starting out. Does require some mythic wildcards, I'd like to eventually tighten it up with more rares.

At first, I started putting in dual-faced lands but figure this deck leans more towards aggro and might do better with regular land? But drat are they tempting, some really nice utility you can get out of them. I'm still really bad though so if anyone sees any easy fixes, please feel free.

I'm just in the Play queue also, so I haven't actually tested this deck against many great ones.

DO WANT. But man I'm hurting for wildcards rn.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Quick Draft P2P1, Omnath is offered. Do you take it over the Ravager's Mace/other relevant cards that fit really well into your Rakdos party deck? As a banned card in standard? What do you guys think?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

flatluigi posted:

omnath is garbage in limited

I mean in terms of raredrafting.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

So what do more entrenched players think about the MDFCs introduced with this set? Isn't the logical endpoint to have like way way more of them to the point that mana screw/flood becomes nearly a thing of the past? Or is that some kind of blasphemy?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Rhaegar posted:

Really struggling with this draft. Can't decide if I should stay U/G kicker or splash some black for Taborax and Hagra for the counter and menace synergy? I think that staying U/G kicker is probably correct.

I agree, the Taborax splash looks not worth it even if it were somewhat consistent, which it won't be. Also U kicker eats a lot of blue sources so you probably want those over black sources. Consider tilting the land distrio harder in favour of U.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Cracked the free pack I got with the TryKaladesh code (for a set I don't intend to play) and got 1 WC of each rarity. Booya.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

So I'm a relative newbie who started with ZNR and bought the Welcome and Adventurer bundles. I was sort of going for a complete ZNR (rare) set but am way short with 103 (out of 256) and about 75 packs unopened. With Kaldheim fast approaching, what should I do? Keep drafting ZNR occasionally when it returns and wait to crack packs until I can get close to a full set? Or crack the packs and fill in the rest later with incidental packs I get from mastery passes, quick drafts, etc.?

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Thanks y'all, time to get cracking!

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Captain Invictus posted:

because they have so much scrying and drawing with temples, mazeminds, and omens that they've got a better shot of getting anything they want than you'd think. also the shuffling algorithm is garbage

my personal "perfect starting hand" bane is "gruul gets first turn, turn 2 brushfire, turn 3 brushfire + fabled passage" which seems to happen roughly half of every gruul matchup. if I don't have an eliminate(or bloodchief's the first brushfire asap) at the ready I'm eating 10 on turn 3 but taking at minimum 5 because I don't think there's anything in black for 2 mana that could block them. same for rogues and the double ruin crab fabled passage combo/3 thieve's guild enforcers by turn 3, and their initial mills pluck half the removal out of my deck just like that, had a game recently where turn 2 ruin crab fabled passage nailed all the shadow's verdicts and extinction events in the six cards it milled

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it feels pretty darn dumb/strange that landfall works with fetchlands.

Also, the shuffling algorithm is, until proven otherwise, random. Learn to deal with with variance.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Yes raredrafting in Premier feels bad, not that I have the numbers behind that or am really any good at drafting anyway. But the ROI in Premier jumps massively from 2 to 3 wins so I do think you want to be hitting those 3 wins at least and not tanking your draft too hard for that rare/mythic. Especially because WCs are a thing. Quick Draft though, I raredraft all day, since the reward structure is so flat.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Why are some cards straight up better than others, even within the same set? For example comparing Eager First-Year and Leonin Lightscribe.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

flatluigi posted:

lightscribe is a rare, first year is a common. a large part of set design is balancing limited formats, and as such the relative rarity of how often you see a card is important. a good way to think about it is that the rare or mythic can be something you pick up very early and usually is a card that's worth building around or at least drafting towards, and the uncommons and commons let you fill out the ranks with cards that might not be as good but still synergize with what you want your deck to be doing

I guess that makes sense, though I wish they used rarity for tapering the availability of whacky/less-generally-applicable effects and not power level. Honestly the concept of designing a card "for constructed" or "for limited" hasn't made much sense to me. Why not just build a balanced set of cards to the best of your ability and then slap higher rarities on stuff that people won't want a ton of anyways (board wipes, 6 drops, legendaries, etc.), and preemo lands to push packs as well, sure.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

little munchkin posted:

in a just world this would exist but we live under capitalism so you take a card that will be a barrier to entry for constructed formats and print it at a high rarity. for every person who wants to run a playset of uros you will have sold the 120 packs it takes to end up with four copies of the card. artificial scarcity ftw

I have this sadness inside of me

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Me: trying to read signals in draft

The seat to my right:

Mike N Eich posted:

The accomplishment I'm most proud of so far in MTGA is getting 3 wins in a draft that I had to leave my computer midway through the first pack. I started Quandrix and the auto-drafter gave me just a complete jumble of random cards, and by god, I made it work.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

GS Dragon is a silly card and whoever made it is a silly person

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Deviant posted:

i never want to play anything else.

We either permanently lost or permanently gained an Arena newbie on that day (your opponent).

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

PleasantDirge posted:

Nothing they ever do will top the awfulness of that war of the spark animation short with loving linkin park as the bgm

https://youtu.be/b5W9t62t10I

Hey it's the internet it's ok you don't need to pretend here

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Blue cards shouldn't ever cost more than 3 CMC CMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

HANG 'EM HIGH

Yikes at some of the reactions to this. Reeks of children throwing a fit because their favourite toy (a braind-dead net deck they crafted 6 months ago) is being taken away/altered for the health of the game. Some cards are just gonna be too strong, or too weak, despite the efforts of the playtesting team. As someone who doesn't really touch Historic because it looks like a ritzy private club where you need to bring something pretty busted or you'll get turn 4 combo or aggro killed this might make me want to actually look into the format. Excited to see what this brings to both Standard and Historic, though based on the reaction from many Historic players it seems like it's not the format for me anyways. Wish the playerbase was a bit more receptive to change, eternal formats are a pretty boring and dumb concept anyway IMHO.