Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I haven't played Magic for over a decade and it's very satisfying to get a concede from those slow pondering players as I stubbornly refuse to die with my crappy starter deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Huxley posted:

You can find SCG interviews with him from before he started streaming where he sounds like a normal human being. I think his kids wandered into a stream once and asked him to "stop talking like that."

i don't watch any streamers but getting owned by your kids on stream is genuinely pretty funny

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Speaking of food, streamers, and Magic Pros...

My biggest takeaway from MCV was from those interstitial interview promos and learning that Reid Duke eats frozen pizzas straight out of the freezer with no prep :stare:

thats how you know he's a true Gamer

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I wonder how much WOTC will actually pick up off of the Blizzard bullshit. I’m guessing not much but judging by the threads in the Free Hong Kong forum, I’m betting some HS players quit for Magic. Seeing a popular stream roll on Blizzard would certainly help.

It got me to uninstall the Blizzard launcher and try out Arena. I did play Magic as a kid though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

At least we'll be able to play "Artisan" (constructed, commons and uncommons only) on.... November 3rd through 6th?

Seriously, what the gently caress is with running these events like Sunday to Wednesday?

Maybe they're trying to ape Hearthstone? There's a rotating gimmick format every week in HS that runs from like Wednesday to Sunday.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Does Oko only show up at higher ladder levels? I don't see it very often, but I also only just made it to platinum rank a few days ago and I still face a lot of starter decks.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

If anyone grinds BO1 Standard for their dailies, I just made Diamond tier for my first time ever with this horse poo poo:

Shuffler almost always gives me either 2 lands to start, or 1 land and a Light up the Stage, which I can put down a Footlight or Scorch Spitter to nearly guarantee I get it off and draw in to another mountain. Works more than it doesn't, at least.

It improved with the addition of Bonecrusher Giant. You very often don't finish the game with 3 lands, so Bone Crusher gives a perfectly good burn spell, and is a very strong play if you somehow get 3 or more lands. The 2 damage if they dare to remove it seals their doom. When I get another Bonecrusher I might take out one Heartfire for it.

I've been playing Bo1 and made it to platinum tier 2 with this pile. I've been playing it for most of the month, but still haven't burned out on it since I'm a sucker for degenerate TCG aggro decks :v:

quote:

Deck
4 Chandra, Acolyte of Flame (M20) 126
4 Chandra's Spitfire (M20) 132
4 Fervent Champion (ELD) 124
4 Gingerbrute (ELD) 219
4 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
3 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell (ELD) 147
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Shock (M19) 156
4 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
3 Castle Embereth (ELD) 239
18 Mountain (ELD) 262

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

^^^ One of the ways I convinced my mom that Magic wasn't a satanic spell casting tool was showing her the cards that had quotes from Shakespeare and the Bible :v: ^^^

No Wave posted:

I do think that life as a resource is a good mechanic and food becomes especially relevant during good games of magic where life totals are important. So there's fun there for sure, and also with so many food mechanics being mana sinks (mana sinks are good magic).

One thing I think the Wizards designers are doing better nowadays than the other era I played the game (2001-04) is adding small life-change effects to balance the power of cards. Back then it was (IIRC) not very common to have a card that gave you 1 bonus life or gave you the option to spend a life or two to bump up the power of a card.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

It still stirs spite and disgust in me to remember that Christians actually believed and some still believe magic cards are real, and strong, and from the devil. These pathetic mental children want to be in charge of your life. Or rather, they want their obviously venal cult leaders to be in charge of your life.

For real, it's just unforgivable.

lmao :goonsay:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

zoux posted:

My mom thinking magic cards were Satanic saved me a lot of allowance money growing up

this is the real takeaway. i would have blown all my lawn mowing money on D&D books and nerd crap if i'd had nobody to tell me to not spend it on dumb poo poo like that

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Zero VGS posted:

Besides allll the other bullshit that Fae of Wishes gets to do, how the gently caress does it get to be a 1/4 Flying for 2 CMC? People are just hardcasting it to stall my Cavalcade weenies.

Yeah it's a nonsense card to stare down when you're playing weenie aggro. If you don't get a perfect draw you're pretty much hosed.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

but one of their programmers added all these old cards as a test, and one time they accidentally leaked that part of the debug build to the public :pseudo:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Tom Gorman posted:

If you're looking for a F2P game to play, Magic the Gathering is probably the dumbest possible choice you could make out of hundreds of different games.

telling f2p players to gently caress off, aka advocating for the death knell of your chosen f2p online game, is certainly a take. i hope you succeed and then get to enjoy your 10 minute queue times, you dumbshit

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

i'm extremely curious what that gorm thinks are the good f2p games

the wannabe whales who look down on dirty f2p gamers are pretty funny. i have never seen one of them who has the self-awareness that it's the unwashed f2p hordes who provide the fodder for their play queue

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I sometimes have a hard time with mulligan decisions when I'm playing an aggro deck and get a banger hand, except for the fact it only has one or two lands...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

precision posted:

A proper aggro deck should be happy with 1-2 land hands, in general

You might be midrange

eh, i suppose. the red deck I've been playing tops out with just a couple copies of one 4-coster, but i always feel like it explodes towards the finish best once i get 5-6 lands down and can drop multiple synergy pieces in a single turn. this may just be my own bad play, of course

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

I'm sure it's only a matter of time until they run some big important event in Arena like a PTQ.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

camoseven posted:

why's everyone in this thread an rear end in a top hat

wizards gotta stack that paper and synergize them brands, yo

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Squashing Machine posted:

Made Mythic for the first time ever with a combination of Gruul Adventure in BO1 and Izzet Flash in BO3, guess I'm done now

congrats on getting the weed number

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Oceanbound posted:

I don’t think you “see” any invite, both of you need to challenge each other at the same time.

it's this and it's really dumb. the username might be case sensitive too, it's been a few weeks since ive done direct challenge so I don't remember exactly

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

drainpipe posted:

The mastery pass is a great deal (so far) and should be considered even for people who just want to F2P. As mentioned, if you progress enough to max out the gem rewards (which is level 86 this season)

I bought gems just for the mastery pass and it is working out well so far. I only play a few Bo1 games per day, but I'm on track to hit the last gem reward for the pass about three weeks before it expires. I did buy the pass just a few days after the current set dropped, though. I would have been able to grind out all the XP needed if I had bought it halfway between set releases.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The new Un-set is revealed:

https://www.cracked.com/article_27000_a-first-look-at-unsanctioned-magic-gatherings-new-set.html

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Alexander Clamilton's ability is genuinely funny and clever.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

I wish this were on phones for the sole reason that I could use Google credit that way. I would be happy to buy the gems I need for mastery pass with survey credits like I used to do for HS. It's not money I could really spend on food or rent anyway.

I think you'll get your wish. The only question is how long it will take them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

goferchan posted:

Lol I've had a Vorinclex on board into opponent Planeswalkers a couple times now and it's extremely funny. The mouse over stuff really does make it

the mouse-over dance is also pretty funny when you attack and your opponent confidently sets their blockers right away, but then checks your attackers to make sure that, oh wait, this isn't what should be happening, oh noooo