Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Waffleopolis posted:

There's not a lot of equipment that will survive rotation atm. Hopefully we'll see more because we haven't seen Eldraine's version of Excalibur yet. Hopefully it's good enough to fit in Syr Gwyn

there was that art of some lady in a pond about to hand out a sword, maybe a new take on stoneforged mystic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Esper faerie commander + all the artifact enablers in M20 sounds pretty fun to me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

The Goose is the new mana dork

but the goose is cooked!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

A Moose posted:

I made the cavalcade deck, it doesn't work more than it works, but somehow every single opponent gets the nut against me, I've never seen it. I've seen LOOOOOOTS of turn 4 7/7 lifelinkers and very few cavalcades. This event just hates me, its all luck and I'm out of it.

I made temur elementals and pretty much everything is cavalcade or lifelink that goes off before I can do anything or some sort of grindy control that just kills all my poo poo and pulls apart my hand before I can get anything going

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Anyone know how to calculate how much more of this event you need to play to reach 100 before rotation? I'm at 85, no extra quests, 15 wins for the week are done.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

IMJack posted:

Go to the Set Mastery page, click on level 100 and it will tell you how many XP it will take to get you there.

With 16 days left you'll get 8000 XP from dailies and 7500 XP from two more weeks of 15 wins.

Sweet, don’t need to do any more of this if I can stay on top of quests. Thanks!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Justin_Brett posted:

How do you pick one of these 'at random'?

D6 or D4, depending upon how normal the dice you have around are.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Mulatto is a slur now? How about quadroon?

In Virginia those are just pre-marriage titles: https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/10/us/virginia-marriage-license-race-question/index.html

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flatluigi posted:

so, who's a judge?

cast irencrag feat. in response, cast expansion copying irencrag feat. a copy of irencrag feat goes on the stack. can you cast another spell that turn?

the way my friends and I think it works is that at first it seems like you can, since copies aren't cast. then, it seems like you can't, since the copy says 'you can only cast one more spell' and it'll count the original irencrag as that spell. however, given that you've already cast both irencrags and are just resolving them, neither of them count as a spell you've cast after either irencrag resolved

it's some fun thinking though

On behalf of Judge Academy and my sponsored membership paid by SCG I can confirm this works.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I'm going to miss Merfolk.dec after rotation. I don't think it's good enough for Historic. :smith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

well it wasn't good enough for standard so things aren't gonna get better with the addition of more cards

exactly, which is why I liked playing it in durdle casual

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

JerryLee posted:

I think Narset's passive is an excellent thing to have on a playable card, but I could buy that maybe it shouldn't be a blue card.

Then again, modern Magic is basically the five colors passing around the "be a blood-filled blister on the anus of the format" pipe, so I'm not sure what color you could put it in that wouldn't eventually end up being the fun police.

green

tell me what the gently caress green does to tell you to stop drawing cards

e: priest of forgotten gods t2, t3 acolyte of flame chandra is an absurd lock if you don't have removal.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 15, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

if it eats a ban, you'll get your wildcards back AND get to keep the fields, so go hog wild.

i've been playing field and getting thrashed by UG flash in the 20 queue so if you're just looking to beat it, try that.

I was beating someone’s face in as UG flash and then they tried to Circuitous Route to save themselves by tapping out on like turn 6 for a grand result of two zombies. That’s your plan? That’s going to stabilize you? Whatever it got negated.

Also stealing someone’s Golos and using its ability as Bant Ramp is HILARIOUS. thank you for five cards now I’m just gonna own your poo poo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jabor posted:

Paradise Druid

Bingo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also the RDW you were familiar with is very different from the Cavalcade builds that are now popular

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The untapped.gg tracker is so much better than the MTGAPro Tracker, it's not even funny. It actually updates and keeps track of things!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
fun bug: if you counter an adventure, it doesn't show you the card in the other player's hand

also it may actually let them use the adventure again!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
In Momir the amass enablers like Gleaming Overseer buff themselves, that's pretty funny.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I just spent seven hours grinding back and forth through Gold 1 to get to Plat and the extra card skin. Honestly, wasn't worth it, and I should stop doing stuff like that in games.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

kinda makes sense. Petitioners block cavalcade well and punish all the greedy value decks in the meta.

And flash would be an interesting matchup. Slam petitioners every turn.

I came up against petitioners for my last match to get to plat last night as Simic Flash and it was literally a free win.

"okay I can't stop them t2, hopefully it's nothing too bad please please please. oh petitioners okay lol"

3 turns later they conceded when I cast frilled mystic for a body against their complete lack of board presence.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

well I know what I'm building first now

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

Does untapped.gg's overlay not work in fullscreen mode or something?

Also I'm assuming if the ALT+[Q/W/U] buttons don't do anything either then it's probably not functioning properly, yeah?

Yeah, that sounds like you don't have it installed properly. It works fine for me in fullscreen.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The Sean posted:

For Happily Ever After "6 or more card types" the official rules I looked up say tribal is a card type. Isnt that just Merlock, Elemental, Knight, etc.? If thats the case would a Merlock and an Elemental count as two different card types or just one since theyre both tribal?

No, there are specific cards (none of which are in Arena) which say Tribal Sorcery, Tribal Enchantment and so on. They need to actually have Tribal in their type line to count as a Tribal card. The confusing thing is that Tribal cards also have a creature type, so you end up with a Tribal Enchantment - Faerie where Tribal and Enchantment are the card types but it also has the creature type Faerie and counts as a Faerie for stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kater posted:

excuse me wotc u said any deck but the limit appears to be 250 cards.

I like how that limit is obviously defined as "we checked with R&D and yes they may reprint Battle of Wits at some point so we should plan for that when coding"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

zoux posted:

I really like the basic land art from this set. I wish that it would let you set a default basic when you import, I hate the Ixalands.

I don't know exactly what did it, but repeatedly choosing the Guay lands again and again has them set up as the default now.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That Fires of Invention deck seems pretty explosive

I would say it’s pretty inventive.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It's not any fun when people just time out and concede in the try decks event so you don't actually get to try things.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

Stop trying Oko.

This was actually the Esper Dance deck and they timed out starting with the mulligan. :smith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Playing Orzhov lifegain against Unlucky Fried Kitten is funny. I scale faster and harder then you, keep durdling around with cats, I don't give a poo poo. They blew themselves up on a Cruel Celebrant trigger.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It was a deck I threw together to do dailies with, nothing amazing. I can export it if you want, but it’s not secret tech or anything.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah I heard it there too and also "mise", a term which I know has to do with topdecking but have no idea where it came from

You loving barn you

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shooting Blanks posted:

It's a card from one of the joke sets from the 90s. Name a card, check your top deck, if you reveal the named card draw 3.

That was named after the joke phrase (basically a vicious win or topdeck) which was popularized by a FYAD-styled SA offshoot Magic humour site called MiseTings. I don’t remember the exact origin of the phrase, there’s a couple old Tingers around who might though.

MaRo tried to give the Unhinged Mise card to MiseTings to preview, but the administrator was even more hopeless than Lowtax and didn’t have the front page working at the time to show it off. A forums admin posted it on the forums and it got posted later on the MTG website.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
it feels pretty unfair to resolve ethereal absolution against unlucky fried kitten

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
So far I've played UB Control (L), Bant Ramp played very badly (W), and Wolf Tribal (W), all with Bant Golos with a tweaked sideboard for wishes.

e: and as usual for a competitive event, everyone is playing super loving slowly

ps: died to mono black aggro when my hand got clogged up with fields and no actual plays

Arivia fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 6, 2019

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
pro tip: don't steal a trostani discordant with oko unless you want to get egg on your face

e: also the ui is bugging out bad, thanks for using the wrong oko ability and making me lose game?!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
It should be noted that there's a couple special variant formats that come up every once in awhile (Pauper and Singleton) where a card named Persistent Petitioners makes mill much more viable. This is more due to other options being bad and Persistent Petitioners not being affected by the limits of those formats.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Billy_Delicious posted:

I'm completely new to MTG and am hooked following a couple days worth of Arena. Just a brief question: are there any particularly good beginner resources at all? Youtube or text is fine, I just need to understand the core principles of the game really.

Also, a bonus question: in any TCG I usually play mill/discard decks, are any decks currently viable playing in my favourite assholish style?

Also this is a couple years out of date but it's the actual good beginner explanation of the game linked in the Arena client: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/level-one/level-one-full-course-2015-10-05 It doesn't teach you the rules but important concepts of game strategy (like card advantage and tempo).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cheen posted:

It doesn't have deathtouch?? It being knight tribe hardly ever comes up??? One extra toughness still has it weak to most removal????

It gains death touch when you pump it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
oh we're doing the standard metagame challenge in the middle of being flooded with bant golos, okay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sjonkel posted:

If you play an unmodified starter deck, the game is supposed to try to match you with similar decks. But if nobody else is queuing at the same time, then you can meet pretty much anything.

They were doing ranked, so that protection isn't part of it.