Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Brawl hasn't seemed too bad to me thus far and I'm merthering around mid-Plat in constructed getting frustrated by coming across horrible decks full of rares and mythics I don't own because I've been playing for like three weeks (in particular, the one with all the elementals and Omnath, and the one with all the gates and Gates Ablaze, and mill decks generally).

My Garruk deck has been melting faces fairly reliably to the point where I got to my fifth win in a few hours and am now super frustrated because I enjoy the format but the prize support is just gone. Ayara, Izoni, and Witches' Cauldron (and Deathsprout, and Bake into a Pie, and etc etc etc)
plus reliable access to Garruk is just funny.

MRLOLAST posted:

In Brawl I made a Gruul deck, went 2nd and missed 1 drop. Opponent played the crab that removes +1+1 and protection from Green. Me = owned since none of my red removals showed up for the next 3 turns until I conceded.
How to be owned by a 1/1 ,2 Mana creature...
Blightbeetle utterly rolls my normal main deck (the one that has me bouncing around mid-plat depending on whether I rock up against something that generally speaking, plays the same game as me, or something that plays ludicrous combo nonsense I'm unable to pay for access to that just straight up wins unless you've killed it in like turn 4) just because my main deck is almost entirely green or green/white +1/+1 stuff. I have like, 2 cards in the whole deck that can even touch it.

I wasn't even mad the one time I fought it, it was just funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Attestant posted:

I don't suppose you have a list handy? I just started this week, and pulling Garruk + a bunch of solid black rares has me thinking about a very similar build.

Commander
1 Garruk, Cursed Huntsman (ELD) 191

Deck
1 Moldervine Reclamation (M20) 214
9 Swamp (ELD) 261
9 Forest (ELD) 269
1 Underrealm Lich (GRN) 211
1 Casualties of War (WAR) 187
1 Deathsprout (WAR) 189
1 Glowspore Shaman (GRN) 173
1 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
1 Savvy Hunter (ELD) 200
1 Leyline Prowler (WAR) 202
1 Gluttonous Troll (ELD) 327
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Izoni, Thousand-Eyed (GRN) 180
1 Arlinn, Voice of the Pack (WAR) 150
1 Nightpack Ambusher (M20) 185
1 Oakhame Adversary (ELD) 167
1 Rabid Bite (M20) 190
1 Return to Nature (ELD) 173
1 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
1 Incubation Druid (RNA) 131
1 Sedge Scorpion (M20) 192
1 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
1 Woodland Champion (M20) 205
1 Fierce Witchstalker (ELD) 154
1 Syr Konrad, the Grim (ELD) 107
1 Clackbridge Troll (ELD) 84
1 Revenge of Ravens (ELD) 104
1 Bake into a Pie (ELD) 76
1 Plaguecrafter (GRN) 82
1 Burglar Rat (GRN) 64
1 Piper of the Swarm (ELD) 100
1 Ayara, First of Locthwain (ELD) 75
1 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
1 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
1 Foulmire Knight (ELD) 90
1 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
1 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237
1 Jungle Hollow (M20) 248
1 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
1 Order of Midnight (ELD) 99
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
1 Castle Garenbrig (ELD) 240

There's a lot of stuff in it that combos together, and a decent amount of early and midrange drops. It has a decent amount of removal (and indeed, I bought Murderous Rider with my Field of the Dead refund specifically for it over other rares I probably want more) and a decent chunk of other food tokens to support the various things that use them. The only thing I've been meaning to fiddle with an not got round to is fitting Beanstalk Giant in there somewhere, because with an expensive commander like Garruk you really want to ramp to him early.

It's at its best when you get Ayara and/or Witch's Oven on the field early, (or Izoni, for that matter, but she's not an early drop), and it's a little weak to flyers, but it's mostly pretty solid IME.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Attestant posted:

Thanks, I had to slightly downgrade it as not to waste all my wild cards on Brawl, but I think I can use this to highroll some wins.

No worries.

I wouldn't worry too much about wasting wild cards if you plan on playing any black or green, I've found most of the rare+ stuff in there to be very useful in my Black/Green and Green/White decks.

W.T. Fits posted:

Just checking in here to be sure, but the physical Eldraine Brawl preconstructed decks don't have codes to redeem a free copy of the deck in Arena, right? We have some at work, and I was thinking about grabbing the knights one and the Korvold one, but since I don't get out of the house enough to play against people in real life, I'd rather not commit to spending money on them if I can't get the digital copies for Arena like with the Planeswalker decks.

There's a banner that suggests they should, but I can't attest personally to any success with it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The Sean posted:

I already think planeswalkers are the worst mechanic in Magic but holy poo poo I played someone who had a deck that was only planeswalkers and I hope something bad happens to them.

There's at least one planeswalker whose whole thing is that you play them alongside multiple planeswalkers - Sarkhan.

It's a godawful deck to face with anything that tries to... you know, play creatures and reduce their opponent's life total to 0 with them.

I went through a big phase in the first couple of weeks playing (around the top of silver/bottom of gold in constructed) where I was just always incredibly frustrated by every deck just having a tonne of planeswalkers I don't have access to, but I got over that, partly through learning to deal with them, partly through building decks with enough counters to them, and partly through earning my own.

I still wish there was a limited format with a lower barrier to entry than 5k gold though, just because it levels the playing field at least a little.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hear me out: Huatli Brawl deck.

Being able to reliably get Huatli out means you can pull in all the cheap 0 power creatures and make them work. It's working out well after one game.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Woot I made diamond finally, got a good run of stuff that was broadly actually playing magic, and my deck is well fettled for actually playing magic.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, Goose is absolutely amazing frankly, it's one of the bases of all my green/x decks. The fact that it throws out food other cards can use and that boosts things that care abotu tokens (I still have an unhealthy attachment to WOodland Champion) is just gravy.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's a strong anti-walker card just due to being unblockable by chumps, and being able to target walkers and life at the same time.

The fact that two of the strongest walkers CAN chump with 3-power creatures is just... balance issues. Both Nissa and Oko should probably make 2-power like most of the others do.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The thing that really bugs me with walkers generally, but other Legendaries as well, is that you can have multiple of them in a deck. It seems silly to have a card type specifically designed to be 'this is a unique individual' and allow you to have four of them in your deck, let alone the loving fifteen you can get of Chandra specifically.

It really bugs me most to spend a decent amount of effort and resources to remove a troublesome planeswalker in a clever way, then just have them dump down a second copy, use its powerful -3 or whatever, then dump down a third copy.

Like... there's only supposed to be one of this person, if you want to dump them out again, you should have to find some way to bring them back from the graveyard, surely?

This may be why I like Brawl.

Speaking of broken metas, is the bot setup for limited with War of the Spark any less lovely and heavily weighted towards mill than it is for Eldraine? I've got my weekly free access to a Bo1 draft coming up today and I'd like to pick one I have a chance to win in instead of mill in.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

The first time the legendary rule was introduced this is exactly how it worked. The problem is that basically all variants of the legendary rule until now create weird and unsatisfying situations, like people playing Lorwyn Jace alongside JTMS so you could easily kill your opponents Jace, or Masques block where whoever played their Lin-Sivvi first won because your opponent couldn't play theirs.

War draft is fine, the main issue with the bots is that you want to be some combination of the Grixis colours as the bots underdraft them. White is really bad. It's a pretty balanced format for Arena draft though.

I wish I'd read this before I drafted a decent-enough red/white deck to get me to 3 wins then lose to a guy who drew at least 5 planeswalkers from 3 packs.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Lone Goat posted:

I guess nobody told you that white is mostly unplayable in WAR.

if you want a good primer on War of the Spark draft, listen to Lords of Limited podcast episode 104: 50 WAR takes in 50 minutes. the hosts go over what they've learned in 3 months of drafting and distill it down into less than an hour. whenever there's an older format available I listen to the corresponding 50 takes episode as a refresher, they're really good.

Not quickly enough, no. I found a couple of fun tricks but I was mostly leaning on red amass and Gideon's Sacrifice, which is genuinely funny.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I really love that I can’t even run jank in the play queue. Just gettin curb stomped by tuned up bullshit.

Brawl is good for running jank, but you will tend to just get stomped in different ways.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I personally don't see why they couldn't just have arena and paper be different and have errata digitally but not physically. It would make a lot more sense and mean the agile format could be agile.

But then, I am consistently mystified by the choices professional tabletop game designers routinely make when it comes to rule writing, so

(And yeah, making the buy-in for limited formats lower would be very helpful, my limited rank is miles behind my constructed just because I do my best to avoid shelling out, so I get maybe one draft per week.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

Hypothetically if I were to buy a sleeve for charity which pony would enrage people the most to lose against?

People pay attention to opponents' sleeves in any capacity other than 'huh, shiny'?

Paul Zuvella posted:

alternatively, consider donating the 4 dollars to a charity directly instead of giving Hasbro the money to use as a tax writeoff.

But, this.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

IMJack posted:

I added a couple of Overcomes to my BEARS deck as a stall-breaker. It's been worth it.

Math is for blockers, and math is hard.

I used to have Overcomes in there as my finisher.

Bond of Discipline is just hilariously better. But does require you not to be mono-green so

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Sinteres posted:

I think spending wildcards on Oko in advance of the ban is an even safer bet than it was for Field. That card's loving gone--there's no way they can keep a card that's warping multiple formats so bad that people would rather concede than play against it.

Why bother spending them though? It's not like you get back more than you spent.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Kalli posted:

There's duplicate protection, so it'll prevent you from opening Oko's from non-draft/sealed packs.

Just think, that worthless Oko could instead be a sweet Circle of Loyalty!

Fair enough, I thought you just got an equivalent wildcard instead if you drew a duplicate.

The new common and uncommon only format looks like it could be fun...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

It's free real estate if you want to use Oko, yeah.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I am so looking forward to the common/uncommon only... Oko IS rare or mythic, right?

I was doing OK in standard-play matches with the first c/u only deck I put together. It seems like about 90% of the components for mono-red hyper-aggro survive into that format just fine...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Event competition?

It's more than just the card styles on the line?

(And yeah, even with Cavalcade banned, mono red aggro seems to be the way to go for the common/uncommon only format, albeit I really struggled against black/white lifelink flyers and Pridemate/Aerialist.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Huxley posted:

Event completion. I just meant, if I need to win 5 to get everything, I want to win those 5 asap. Then I can actually enjoy the event a little bit.

Oh, my bad.

I'm finding it's not quite as interesting a format as I was hoping, with the accelerators and bombs, it's feeling super grindy a lot of the time, even with mono-red aggro.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Wait a second, that's a pauper tournament that gives only cosmetics and costs 2500 gold to enter? WotC getting cheaper over time it seems.

Yeah i was super disappointed by the entry fee but interested enough in the format to wait another few days to do my next unsuccessful attempt at learning to draft.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Wait how do you play brawl now? I don't think I have it as an option, I'd far prefer playing that to standard most of the time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I prepared several snarky non-answers thinking this was a snarky non-answer then clicked the link in the tweet and it's only available on wednesdays?

That's dumb.

Well, I'll play some brawl tomorrow, I guess.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Garruk brawl is insanely fun. I've gurrently got a 7/7 Sedge Scorpion with Trample.

I feel like there's a really solid Nissa/Proliferate thing there too I haven't got round to building yet, and I had a lot of very suboptimal fun doing Huatli with all the big tough low-power creatures in White.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I've found a LOT more ramp and control decks than aggro.

And I've had a lot of matches run super long with some pretty wild swings, I really like it as a format.

I'm also pleased that my heavily tweaked Selesnya deck is actually start9ing to be reasonably reliable in standard constructed, though it helps that I'm able to play just after the day resets when most of the good players aren't awake lol. My performance falls off pretty rapidly aroudn thsi time of day.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

flatluigi posted:

brawl: still loving fun

Seriously, I'm well past my dailies and tired of not making progress in standard, but Brawl is still reliably fun, and it's still great coming acress clever combos I would never have thought of or known about to file away to try later completely forget because I'm hyperfocussed on green.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

I feel like I should actually track my results, but for standard at least the game does that for me. If I'm better than 50:50 I go up.

I'm pretty sure my Garruk brawl is about 75% but I've not actually counted.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Eej posted:

Nexus teaches you an important lesson in Magic: sometimes you've lost before the game is actually over

Also: do you really think you're griefing a combo deck player by letting them play out their combo lol

Sometimes I watch it play out because unless it's gonna delete all my creatures or literally kill me this turn, I do have bombs which will let me win left (in particular with my current deck, I have enough damage on the board for Bond of Discipline to murder them if I have the opportunity to play it uncountered).

Other times because it's entertaining.

Others because I don't have anything better to do and there's always room for them to gently caress up a complicated combo system.

boo_radley posted:

Makes sense to have a lot of aggro in brawl, right? This is why I'm running 4 gingerbrutes and a bunch of auras/ equipment. Granted, I eat poo poo 60% of the time, but I'm having fun.

How are you playing more than one gingerbrute in Brawl...?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Jorath posted:

I'm feeling stupid, but how do I make a brawl deck? When I make a deck, I only get the 3 options for format, I don't see anywhere to specify what my commander is. I tried going to deckmaking through the brawl event, same issue.

The most efficient way is to go into the Brawl format and make it from there, but that only works when Brawl is active...

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ahhhhh finially finished grinding Gold again.

Also finally caved and stopped clinging to Woodland Champion as part of my main deck, which is fun and combo-y in a way that appeals to me but so rarely actually has a chance to get swole that it's just not that good.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ahahaha what the gently caress omniscience draft?!

It's Keyforge but without the pace-limiting factors of houses and keys.

How am I going to get my face melted in this ridiculous format?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Draft literally anything that draws more cards

Duly noted.

Watch as I draft a deck with a tonne of draw that relies on having creatures on the baord, without enough creatures.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Ahahahahaha omniscience is so dumb and I love it so much.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, there are some DUMB things you can do. I really want to see if it's possible to get a T1 kill via Scampering Scorcher, some draw, and some big elementals.

I suspect it is but you'd have to be insanely lucky to both draft and draw it.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Hahahahaha they are fully leaning in to the Oko thing huh

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Goddamn I wish Cat/Food/Oven could be automated. I just had the longest drat game where both players had to do it at least twice per turn and it is the most tiresome thing.

I accidentally decked myself with Moldervine Reclamation lol - but I had to play it out for the last turn because I had several kills to take out blockers plus several creatures on the board and End Raze Forerunners somewhere in the last few cards of my deck; getting that a turn earlier would have won me the game with my opponent under 10 health the entire time.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

I am more angered by the giant loving animations that cover the card in elkmir. Like, which 3/3 flier is that? I dunno, let's wait while a dragon animated by a time traveling mainframe studios judders across the screen. Oh, it's that standard unplayable one. Cool. Thanks.

Concur, those animations are cool the first time but super distracting every time after. I don't need to see a giant cerberus cat thing slinging itself across the screen every time someone plays Questing Beast then immediately attacks, it's incredibly distracting. There must be some way to turn those off.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Oh hey it turns out that when you build a deck that's almost entirely focussed around one mechanic, it gets silly.

Ask me about golgari adventures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Arivia posted:

what's golgari adventures, thespaceinvader

Fun as gently caress.

In particular the interaction between Lucky Clver and Beanstalk Giant is hilarious, at least three times after playing it just this morning and last night I've got to the poitn where I've run out of basic lands and have two 14-14 giants in play.

I'm incined to agree that the cheap black Knights are just absurdly good, but at the same tyime, I do like my Big Green Men.

I suspect once I break out of plat into diamond, which I expect to do later today, I will be better off dropping the Walkers and big golgari baddies who have interesting interactions for cheap Knights.

E: keeping Garenbrig Carver though. The interaction with the Lifelink knights and Carver and Clover allowing a big life-gain swing has saved my rear end a few times now.

thespaceinvader fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 12, 2019