Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Azathoth posted:

So I just had an opponent do something that was simultaneously quite funny but also complete bullshit and I'm curious how often I'm going to see this.

Two games in a row, my opponent (not sure if it was the same one but possibly) dropped Ugin, the Spirit Dragon on me first in turn 2 then in the second game on turn 3 by casting Stonecoil Serpent for 1 and then countering their own cast with Tibault's Trickery, thus milling their own deck for crazy tough creatures. In the match where they comboed it out on turn 3, they tried the same thing on turn 2 and "only" got a 6/6 big fuckoff creature.

That didn't feel so much like getting out-raced by an aggro deck as smashed in the back of the head by a 2x4 while eating lunch. Did I just get real unlucky or is there some counter-play to that that I'm missing?

Welcome to the past couple of weeks. Assume they're going to go off on turn 2, and assume any deck that mulls to 5 or less is playing trickery combo. If you're not running a deck playing Spell Pierce, the best you can do is hope they brick, which happens pretty often. If they do, you win. If they don't, they win. It's a high-variance deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

20 Stitcher's Suppliers 20 Creeping Chills 20 Swamps has to be the deck to beat, I imagine. I eked out a few wins with Charmed Stray tribal but that loses to pretty much any other degenerate mono-card deck.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

evilweasel posted:

Any suggestions on what to cut here? Most of my last few drafts I didn't have this many playables, so I'm iffy when its "which of these good cards do i want" instead of "which bad cards I had to settle for because i raredrafted an absurd amount will be my last two?"

the stadium, as much as I like it, seems likely to end on the cutting room floor and perhaps one of the plains (in favor of a forest, or nothing) but that's about as far as I get

Stadium is definitely a cut. You have enough lifegain synergy and weak enough lessons in the sideboard that Cram Session doesn't look too hot. I think the white splash is ambitious but Blot Out The Sky is good enough that it's probably fine. I'd probably cut two of Blood Researcher, Overgrown Archor, and Springmane Cervin, leaning more toward cutting Arches and not cutting more than one Blood Researcher.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I fuckin’ hate Embercleave.

The argument of "Embercleave is the most playable equipment ever" never really held much weight to me, because 90% of the time Embercleave isn't even an equipment, it's just a stronger Temur Battle Rage.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

There's no benefit for buying the mastery pass early either unlike in some games, so at worst you can just wait until literally the last day and buy it to 'cash out' if you hit the level cap.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

... how have I never seen this Kaladesh playmat?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I hope they keep Historic Brawl around. Brawl is already my go-to 'I don't want to think too much' queue and I'm having a nice time playing battlecruiser Magic with my low-rent commander deck.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

My understanding is that the plans were originally going to be 'Historic as a bullshit non-format that exists mostly out of obligation so folks don't feel ripped off when their cards rotate, with the long-term goal of phasing it out entirely in favor of Pioneer', then Historic started getting actually pretty popular as a semi-low-powered eternal format and Pioneer interest dropped dramatically, especially with the pandemic going on.
It really feels to me like there's only enough interest on MTGA for one or the other, and folks seem to like Historic more than they ever liked Pioneer.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

Fun fact: Arena can and will eat your timeouts even with auto resolve and pass turn turned on.

To this day, I wish for a pass turn button that actually passes the turn instead of just passing priority, once, as if I hadn't even hit the button.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

Now, when I said "Fynn punishes people for tanking Deathtouch creatures with life instead of their creatures" I didn't think people would, you know, continue tanking Deathtouch creatures with their life with Fynn on the board.

He began this turn with 6 counters and... uh... just sorta didn't block any of my creatures.

Eh. They block two creatures, go up to 8 poison with no blockers and two deathtouchers still on the board. With the Murderous Rider(?) in exile, they need to topdeck a cheap chump blocker to Not Lose and/or have a removal spell in their top two to nuke the Fynn to maybe start making a comeback. I'd say always play to your outs, but I wouldn't blame this player for basically Conceding With Style since the on-board odds weren't in their favor.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I played Ravnica, but missed both Alara and Khans so I never remember the the color combinations. :(

Same. Alara I picked up pretty quickly, though Khans still slides right off my smooth brain. Whose bright idea was it to have two factions that end in 'ai' anyway.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

elbkaida posted:

Just throw together whatever the hell you like. I built a golem tribal deck and it did alright!

I forewent my usual mono-red aggro to build a U/B zombie tribal off the back of all my MID drafts and had a fine time in this event too.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Goons, evaluate me: https://www.17lands.com/draft/3ec34fa963174ed0b0842949e0db5b67
I drafted this pile and went 0-2 drop. What could I have done better.

e: great snipe.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Thanks for the advice. Is Lunarch Veteran really that good? Maybe I'm just used to 1/1 for 1s being unplayable but a 1/1 for 1 with upside that turns into a 1/1 Flying for 2 with upside seems fine but not great and certainly not in 'best white common' territory. Just one felt about right in deck construction.

And yeah, I somehow missed the Evolving Wilds in P3P2. Mea culpa. Though I probably would have raredrafted anyway, honestly.

I think you're right in that I was undervaluing sifters though. I was seeing it mostly as a 2/3 for 2 on average but the filtering also would have been pretty helpful considering the flooding I ran into, although truth be told my both my opponents had the nuts (first player was playing W/G humans and had Katilda, Dawnhart Prime on turn 2 or 3 all 3 games, and the second was playing Jeskai and drafted two Angelfire Ignitions) and I dunno if I could have beaten them anyway.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Onmi posted:

So I need deck help again. Not for me this time, for my friend.

This is her Historic Brawl list. I know it's awful, you know it's awful. She doesn't want to listen to me about how it's awful. But the very least I can help fix her land count since she keeps bitching to me about getting mana screwed (In 100 card singleton? I know, what are the odds.) So if you can prevent yourself from vomiting, can you guys help me. I keep trying to calc it but all the online calcs say like "31 plains."

For starters, she should probably be running Heliod as the commander over Ajani, considering Heliod's lifegain payoffs actually help you win the game.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Historic Brawl dot jpeg.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I Before E posted:

https://twitter.com/fuckinalpamare/status/1461655653743747073?t=IPw6GuvDlRGvQaUDs6KlRA&s=19

Has anyone else gotten this message in a game and if so am I wrong to think it's basically a message given too late to actually be followed? Like, the stack is already in place, the most I can do to follow that advice is keep resolving until it's through.

Oh, yeah, that happened to me the other day on a board that was something like Cathar's Crusade + Wildwood Scourge + that insect that makes insect tokens for each +1/+1 counter put on a creature that turn. They ended up creating 66 insect tokens, putting 66 triggers of Cathar's Crusade on the stack, each one of which added ~100 new Wildwood Scourge triggers onto the stack. The game burned through all of their timeouts, then started burning through my timeouts, then that prompt started showing up (and the game started giving me priority again) despite me being tapped out and F6'd (or at least what passes for F6ing in MTGA, which unfortunately doesn't even work right half the time, and yes I was using the shift-enter hotkey to pass instead of hitting the 'pass turn' button that does literally nothing). It took 15 minutes to resolve that stack when, really, they should have timed out and auto-conceded. But I was in the same situation of saying, alternatively, "I don't know what you want me to do, game' and 'those triggers are already on the stack, game, that isn't my fault.'

Maybe I'm just salty, though, considering earlier that same day I ended up losing a game due to putting like 6000 landfall triggers on the stack at once and making the game hang for 5 minutes, eventually running out my timer and auto-conceding me.

Really, the rules engine just falls apart whenever any somewhat complex stack comes along, anyway, because WotC is good at software.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Wooper posted:

The best is when they double block with ghasts thinking they get to trade favorable but I just don't assign damage to it, keeping it alive.

This is my favorite thing because of the inevitable desperate mousing-over of every permanent on the battlefield afterward as they try to figure out what happened.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Standingstoic posted:

I'll gladly stan for eternal as my absolute favorite magic stand-in. Tbh, you can go look at eternal right now and probably get a good idea where alchemy is going in the future. Eternal is essentially magic with using the digital advantage to make streamlined cards instead of clunky stuff and doing deck manipulation effects without shuffling. Everything they're using mechanically will be in magic eventually, and you'll even see a few things that have already been cribbed in the early alchemy cards.

They did just release a somewhat dud of a set as far as constructed viability goes, but that's like the 12th mainline set for the game.

I played it entirely for free for years and had a basically complete collection when I paused to resume magic.

Game is very good, full stop.

I stopped playing Eternal after they added the super tedious and annoying Everybody Gets Wishboards mechanic and Justice was so overpowered they had to print a comedically specific hoser in In Cold Blood (For Magic players, this kills a thing, then also automatically surgicals it if it was Justice (Eternal's version of White), then ALSO effectively destroys all your Justice 'lands' so Justice decks can't splash it 'cause otherwise all the Justice decks would also just run this to counter other Justice decks. It's just about the most heavy-handed hoser I've seen in a modern CCG.) Has the balancing gotten any better in the past, say, 4 years?

Pseudoscorpion fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 18, 2022

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Talking with my LGS owner and he said the #1 complaint with New Capenna is that every loving card is a blob of word salad and even without doublefaced cards everything just blobs together and he wishes they would “stop designing cards that are too complicated for paper” and to be honest I agree. There is a sweet spot for MtG complexity and Capenna is somehow both underpowered while also having the most text of any set ever, that’s not a good balance.

I've been saying this for a while. I feel like there's going to be a reckoning soon if/when people start playing paper at pre-pandemic levels because of how many of the recent sets have been pretty transparently 'designed for Arena'. Feels like mechanics like Mutate or complex MDFCs would have been much more poorly received if most people weren't playing them in an environment that removes their drawbacks.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

precision posted:

why isn't this played more, incidentally? is there some reason it's really bad that i'm missing? seems like a fun combo piece

It's a pretty bad mana dork if you're saccing cheap artifacts (which in the formats where it's legal, are going to be fast mana anyway) and if you've cheated out an expensive artifact, you might as well use that expensive artifact to win the game instead of generating black mana.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I've had players add me as a friend mid-match to cuss me out, so clearly there's some kind of avenue there for people deranged enough.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Arena Momir With Spells is infinitely more bearable than classic Arena Momir. You get to, like, make decisions and play the game instead of just seeing who rolls an unbeatable creature first!

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I wish you could blacklist certain commanders in the hbrawl matchmaking. No thanks, I don't want to play against Jeskai Narset, or 3feri, or Baral, or Giada, or any number of exhausting and unfun decks while I'm trying to pilot my C-tier jank combo brew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

flatluigi posted:

it's genuinely a bummer how much the audio bug makes me not want to play the game these days and i hope they get a patch out soon to actually fix it

What I find genuinely hilarous is I work at a game studio that services a game that probably has about as many players as MTGA, and if we had shipped a release that broke the sound as badly as Wizards was, players would have been rioting and it would have been fixed probably on the same day as the breaking patch. Meanwhile, sound in MTGA has been broken for, what... almost a month at this point? And WotC seems to be in no particular rush to fix one of the major components of any audio-visual interactive medium.