Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Oh cool, the new set is up. Haven't played for months but I have enough gold for a draft, maybe I'll earn enough gems to do a sealed and *forced to concede because of a black screen and the interface never loads*. Welp I'll see you later Arena, maybe next update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So, I just clicked through the end of a match and got a "Did you have fun?" prompt and accidentally hit no before I realized what happened. What was that about?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well poot. I wanted to be a good sport because I liked the guy's deck but nuts to that I guess. I hope that guy doesn't get some kind of notification like "X players this month (including Dr. Red Ranger) hate you and think you suck."

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It's pretty good in that it replaces itself. Your opponent gets an Elk but you didn't have to spend a card removing their bomb or turning off a combo piece.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Hammer Bro. posted:

I figured out how to win at draft. Cheap Fliers + Hydra's Growth.

Flydras.

*Drops sorcerous spyglass on the table*

My Yawg...

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Funkdreamer posted:

Vannifar combo is hilarious

It's helpful that the meta basically gave up on running removal

I knew there was a reason I started winning games again in the poop-tier leagues with my bad Golgari deck. It's full of assassin's trophies, deathsprouts, plague crafters, harpooners and cavaliers of night. It's no Jund Sacrifice but I like the cards and the guild symbol is ants so :colbert:

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
12 creatures is a little low, so that's a bit of an issue, but you have 7 fantastic removal spells and a couple of nice bombs in W/B, so you could reasonably put together something defensive and punch back after removing problem creatures.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Archon of Sun's Grace is such an incredible limited bomb. Maybe not as good as Dream Trawler, but it won the game by itself against a R/U deck that had plenty of time to make a huge Nadir Kraken with 5 tentacles and a pumped Anax. Didn't even need to block anything from all the lifelink.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Wrap in flames + a hero interaction is using one of the pings on a hero and then pinging blockers with the rest of the damage right? Or can you get multiple triggers off one hero and a wrap?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Is it possible to get a refund with a support ticket? I was just given a forced loss on my first sealed game by a crash followed by a network error when trying to log back in.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks, it happens to me from time to time and it suuuuucks.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So if I'm playing a jeskai spells deck with lots of looting and card draw, how stupid is it to use Invade the City as a finisher, but to mutate Vadrok onto the big army token so if it survives a turn somehow, it now has flying, first strike and doubles in size because of Vadrok's ability? Does that work?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
What's the fix if Arena has a memory leak? I know I have an old system but the game worked pretty well until an update or two ago.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well Arena sure has some weird issues. Had a close match with some dude named Offline. I have him on board, his hand is empty, and he draws what would be his final card, and waits through a timeout. He emotes Oops, and a second later I get a network error message. It goes away, but now I'm stuck waiting for his timeout that will never end and cannot do anything. I suspect the guy rage disconnected, putting me in a position where I have to concede and accept a loss just to continue doing something else. What a bastard.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

If you were in a paid event you should be able to report this and get your entry fee back.

And rage disconnects shouldn't ever cause you to have to concede anyway, it should rope the quitter out, so it might be worth reporting it either way.

Yeah, I took a screenshot and sent that with the activity log in. I alt f4'd out but they'll have the info about it at least.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Unexpected Development seems like a fun card in limited so far. I was behind against a 5 color deck with all the fixing, so it had no problem laying down an Auspicious Starrix, then mutating a Sea Dasher Octopus, then Huntmaster Liger, and another creature I can't recall. It was huge and threatened to dump the rest of his deck onto the board, but he expected a safe attack into my 5/5 serpent with the one card I had left in hand since turn one. I like to think that was a genuine Nice!.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It seems the secret to making a good limited deck with Rielle as your first pick is to just go ahead and grab essence scatters and keep safes while you put together a R/U cycling deck. Why yes, I would like to pay one to draw two while putting a spell in the yard to increase her power or a creature to grab with a Moloch later, yeah.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
This feels like a dumb general question, but how much card draw does a control style deck actually want? I understand that aggro has the least, midrange has some so it can keep value going, and control needs the most because it wants to answer what the opponent is doing and win with something after the opponent is choked out. But when you're working at a 60 card deck, how many sources of draw is enough? I ask because I lucked into some Nadir Krakens I'd like to use and they look built for a slower deck.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 24, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I finally got to draft B/G today after going into W/R cycling and U/R spells 4 times in a row, and I'm just chuffed at this pillbug+bushmeat poacher combo. I staked my claim early on Boneyard Lurkers and Heartless Acts, got passed a Gemrazer, saw a pick 6 or so Greathorn, then grabbed a pair of vipers. Passed a Phoenix and Skycat Sovereign later to fill the deck out but it's working well anyway. Feeling pretty good about my choices, which is nice.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Well, that sucked real hard. Went in with +1 Poacher, -1 haemophage. Game one went well against someone just playing black and white cats and appeared to have mana trouble. Game two I was immediately blown out by essence symbiotes into Brokkos. Game three, got mana screwed and blown out by an Umori+Cheval deck full of deathtouchers. Game 4, had to mulligan to five but eventually beat someone attempting to play three colors and cycling all their red cards away attempting to find a mountain. Game 5, was forced to skip my mulligan because I had to alt-f4 due to the black screen bug, only drew two lands in 12 cards and was hopelessly blown out by essence symbiotes into greathorn into heron.

I only got to mutate my boneyard lurkers once, never played the titanoth, but the one game where the harvesters landed went pretty well. If you want to do a mutate deck, the symbiotes are must haves. They speed up your clock, open up favorable attacks, and blank Heartless Acts.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 26, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Well, that sucked real hard. Went in with +1 Poacher, -1 haemophage. Game one went well against someone just playing black and white cats and appeared to have mana trouble. Game two I was immediately blown out by essence symbiotes into Brokkos. Game three, got mana screwed and blown out by an Umori+Cheval deck full of deathtouchers. Game 4, had to mulligan to five but eventually beat someone attempting to play three colors and cycling all their red cards away attempting to find a mountain. Game 5, was forced to skip my mulligan because I had to alt-f4 due to the black screen bug, only drew two lands in 12 cards and was hopelessly blown out by essence symbiotes into greathorn into heron.

I only got to mutate my boneyard lurkers once, never played the titanoth, but the one game where the harvesters landed went pretty well. If you want to do a mutate deck, the symbiotes are must haves. They speed up your clock, open up favorable attacks, and blank Heartless Acts.

Uh, tried to quote and it edited the original post? Anyway, things did not go as planned. I even took out the second pangolin for the last game because I felt I was too heavy on strickly ok 3 mana mutate targets. Thought I did pretty well with that draft, but it wasn't to be.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Welp, now I feel stupid. Cycling and mutate count as activated abilities, even if they're cast from your hand, and aren't "alternate casting costs" or whatever assumption I had before. Zirda in draft is nuts.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Lone Goat posted:

prepare to feel stupider: mutate is not an activated ability

Ok, I must have gotten myself confused looking at borders while making the draft deck.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Lone Goat posted:

the easiest way to tell if something is an activated ability is to look for a colon. activated abilities will always says cost:effect

of course, that's less helpful on Arena when the colon is hidden in the reminder text.

Arena vs Paper

Thanks. I wouldn't have noticed, having not played paper magic since early February.

EDIT: I figured out why I was confused about mutation. I have a couple Porcuparrots in the deck, and their tap ability counts; the colon wasn't included because this is arena. Mystery solved.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 26, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

P1P1 Nethroi, and white/black stayed fairly open for most of the draft. Tried to grab green as a base for easier fixing but it dried up pretty quickly.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

thespaceinvader posted:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/9495b8a3b2d247938fcdb64ce32f7035

Not playing for at least 11 hours, so plenty of time for crit.

Suggestions?

What's the rest of your pool look like? I find that if I'm in blue, an essence scatter or two is always welcome. The white looks kinda thin as a splash, but if that's your removal, well that's your removal. One Keep Safe is always nice to have, especially when you don't have too many big ticket killdozers at the end of your list. Heron is good, Archipelagore is good, mutating Heron onto the Wolverine will be brutal, especially if you're playing stuff like Forbidden Friendship in your curve to get a board going. It's not hyper optimized and the colors give me a little worry since you've got three blue cards with UU in the cost (though they have cycling or mutate which helps), but it's not awful. More experienced people will have better opinions though.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

P1P1 Nethroi, and white/black stayed fairly open for most of the draft. Tried to grab green as a base for easier fixing but it dried up pretty quickly.

Well, this list got dumpstered. Won game one, lost game two with flying lethal on board against an empty hand but got blown out by a top decked Archipelagore. Lost game three because of a ctd, then couldn't get back in because I got hit with the "perpetually checking for updates" bug. Had to use the registry editor fix for that. Lost game three because I ran into a hard counter deck full of bodyguards eating my graveyard and using the soldiers as fuel for multiple mutual destructions. Never got to play Nethroi, lame.

I love the set but I'm getting wrecked all over trying to play it.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Ominous seas likely won't do much good unless you get a lucky early island but it looks perfectly good. Just don't be afraid to actually play things instead of cycling them, you only have that one Zenith Flare.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

My last yorion draft went 7-1 :shrug: the only ones I really think are bad in limited as companions are Zirda (almost impossible to be active) and Umori (no removal is not feasible)

So, it may have just been luck and silver tier limited, but I managed to draft a Mardu Zirda deck with cycling permanents like Void Beckoner and Moloch, and ability permanents like Whisper Squad, Poacher, Coilbug, Weaponize the Monsters and Blisterspit Goblin. The gameplan involved filling the board with stupid 1/1's no one brought sweepers for, using them to fuel cheap, repeatable activations of Weaponize and Poacher, and using Rumbling Rockslides for problem mutaters. It worked surprisingly well and more than one opponent scooped to a board of goblins.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
It was a few days ago, but I may have saved an image somewhere. You may recall my posting in surprise about cycling and mutate counting for Zirda, but it was in fact the Porcuparrots having an activated ability that made them compatible and I wasn't aware of the : . It's slow without Zirda so you usually end up playing a grindy game, but she cuts the cost for Whisper Squad and Weaponize activations to 1, makes repeatedly eating coilbugs semi-feasible, and turns Void Beckoners into 1 black mana deathtouch combat tricks.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 4, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Gridlocked posted:

You can put zirda into cycling but it's kinda redundant

That's true. If you made a good cycling deck, it's full of the 1 cost cyclers and her ability doesn't do anything unless you had to fill space with the more expensive cyclers. I guess she's a consistent 3/3 with a "x thing can't block" ability but a cycling deck doesn't really need that.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 01:55 on May 4, 2020

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Keruga stomped my little Rakdos Zirda experiment flat. It only lived one turn after casting while I dug for another rockslide but that's all my opponent needed to get entirely out of hand.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I think I'd like to play around with Dimir Flash. Anyone have experience with it? Seems like it could be fun without being too awful to play against, but if it's just hopelessly crapped on by the rest of the meta I can make dumb decks that lose all day already.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Eej posted:

The best Dimir Flash deck I've seen is this one

https://twitter.com/AbubuMtg/status/1256754216787415041?s=19

It kind of feels like it runs out of steam very easily though so not really sure how good it is.

Thanks; the pollywog addition looks neat.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I remember seeing a rad Sliver Overlord sleeve during the workshop event. Is that in the store or did I miss it during some event?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
How long does the game allow someone to rope? My opponent played his turn one hawk, let his timeout complete, and nothing's happened for 7 minutes while I watched a YouTube video. It still has the hourglass icon burning, but they have no bar or timeouts left.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well that's lame. It's not the first time this has happened so I wondered what the cause was.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Gridlocked posted:

How many bots drafts will have 3 cycling drafters attempting to force it while you slide under the radar and snag all the green cards to make a half decent re-animator deck out of nothing?

Speaking of reanimator drafting, do you have any experience making it work? I drafted it a couple of times and it doesn't really seem to come together even if you hoover up all the signposts, removal and good top end like Nethroi. I feel like Unbreakable Bond and the big BG cyclers must be major players together but I only seem to get one or the other.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Well I put together that monoB Lurrus deck. It looks like it would fold like a chair to Cry of the Carnarium, but if my opponent doesn't have exile removal I never run out of plays while forcing them into topdeck mode from all the discard. It's gross but I'm still in silver so we'll see how it goes in the real ranks.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

IMJack posted:

Meanwhile, I'm probably late to the discussion, but the new workshop seems really lopsided in favor of the Ulamog deck. Epic Downfall is the only card in the black deck that has a chance against Ulamog or the two gods, and if it's not sitting in your hand when Ulamog resolves you're not going to get to use it. I'm probably missing something obvious because I'm an idiot.

Nah you're right. It's possible for the zombie deck to win but you need a combination of good draws to help your tempo, and the devotion deck to miss theirs. I drew two Epic Downfalls, exiled a Nylea and the R/G god, then was still run over by a second Nylea into Ulamog. My second game started with the opponent dropping two leylines before turn one, so I got to face down a turn 2 Nylea I couldn't turn off without Epic Downfall while I had a corpse marshal durdling around waiting for something to turn into a 2/2.