Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Arivia posted:

you only get xp if you're smart enough to queue in with mono-u

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Deleter posted:

I refuse to believe this whilst Gideon is an option.

I mean we get to see whaty Gideons been up to in like 2 months and now that hes back to Kytheon hes def loving

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 18, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

It sounds like creatures have all their abilities and text they just are all 3/3a

it sounds like a joke, actually

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

How the gently caress are they not having people sign non-disclosure aggreements for poo poo like this

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oceanbound posted:

You're welcome to your opinion but I just don't get it. He's one of my favorite Magic players precisely because he's always seemed like a super nice guy. Dry sense of humour, but never gets disrespectful or too salty.

Yeah he’s a chill guy who loves magic and his wife. Like chance the rapper but with a card game

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Behold, the best deck I've ever gone 0-3 with in a draft. In fact the first 0-3 draft I've had in all of Eldraine.

Weird that your extremely greedy 3 color deck in a format that pushes you to play close to 1 color mana bases did bad. Very shocking

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 20, 2019

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

It means that the entire format and meta is 100% warped around Field and this tournament was a 3 day long testament to how Oko and loko the format would be without it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kanfy posted:

Any specific reason for the unnecessary smarminess, or just happened to wake up on the wrong side of the bed today?

Nah, between the fixing, ramp, and the low-cost adventures attached to most of the more expensive cards it's definitely far from the greediest thing ever drafted, the curve's more even in reality than it looks. There are no adamant cards and third color was a complete non-issue, not splashing at least Bonecrusher (which I didn't pick over anything useful) in a deck with four different fixers would've certainly been wrong and Barrage patched up the lack of removal. I would've loved to trade stuff like the Carver for some better early beef of course, but you don't always get the stuff you need in the end.

Things mostly just didn't line up in the games themselves, had some unusually harsh opponents and a couple of obvious play mistakes. C'est la vie.

Or, maybe, you went 0-3 because the deck you think is great is actually bad

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oceanbound posted:

Once I got crushed in a game against BG cat oven when they finished with a rampage of the clans, could barely be mad.

There is a dude at my LGS who exclusively plays a golgari food deck that is basically only trying to win like this or with the Troll King

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kanfy posted:

"Deck with the most high-quality cards" might've been more accurate sure, but also I have to ask again, are you always this cranky for seemingly no reason or this this just a special occasion?

You posted your deck and I commented on it, don’t know what you were expecting when you posted it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Paul always posts like he’s your dad and you disappointed him at Little League practice, yes

gently caress, I’ve never been called out so viciously in my life. I feel exposed

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MRLOLAST posted:

Btw why is no one running the elderspell to counter a turn 2 Oko in standard? Is it too reactive .

BB turn 2 is hard to do these days and its a dead draw against many decks. its a sideboard option for sure, but black is not particularly doing great in the meta at the moment.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

MikeCrotch posted:

On a scale of 1-10, how much do you yell at the referees of sporting events

0 because they are just honest men trying to do a job despite their flawed humanity. Its not their fault that the human eye sucks

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

No Wave posted:

Do I care enough about historic to risk not getting wildcard refunds by crafting field... I don't care about historic at all but I like free stuff.

EDIT: ahhhh ok I crafted them. laugh at me if they change their policy.

There is no policy, Nexus was a very different case because you could not get the card in packs

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

Making Pioneer so soon after making Historic would be a strange move at the best of times. Doing so while also completely neglecting Historic to the point of absurdity just feels like they're admitting Arena is gonna stay the 'standard and lovely sealed/draft variants' platform for the foreseeable future.

They have stated over and over and over that the purpose of Arena is Standard and all other game modes are just there to supplement it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Zero VGS posted:

Oh god is this the loving moron who talks like that one annoying YouTube cook?

Hes the moron who hates women

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

He's the popular Magic twitch streamer that hates women and doesn't wear a tie. The other popular Magic twitch streamer sex pest wears a tie on steam for whatever reason.

also LSV cheated on his wife

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

drainpipe posted:

Is there an actual anti-women event with Hoogland? I’ve seen him being anti-women mentioned constantly but haven’t seen the actual event mentioned. I’m not being skeptical, I just genuinely want to know.

He went on an insane rant because wizards had the gall to include women in the Pro league and not him, the brilliant and smart and marketable Jeff Hoogland.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Sinteres posted:

Are we cancelling people for adultery now, or just gossiping?

I mean neither, but its not as much gossip as it is known fact.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oceanbound posted:

Hoogland’s meltdown wasn’t over the MPL, it was not being invited to the Mythic Invitational. An event he had already declared to be not interested in on account of it being BO1.

IM NOT MAD IM NOT INVITED TO THE PARTY, IN FACT IM HAPPY IM NOT INVITED, FURTHERMORE

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Huxley posted:

Hoogland seems less like a hateful misogynist and more like a guy whose brain occasionally goes white hot and he forgets his words mean things.

#notallmen

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oceanbound posted:

It’s hard to reconcile misogyny with how he arrogantly proclaims his wokeness on stream whenever possible. I guess he could be faking it but I don’t get the impression that he’s capable of faking anything very well.

Some of his best friends are women!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The most damning evidence that getting to mythic does not matter at all is that ive done it 3 times and I loving suck

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

zoux posted:

Anyone playing FotD decks between now and Thursday is a war criminal.

im calling the hauge

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Time posted:

It’s only illegal in formats that care about grave order. It’s 100% legal in standard, pioneer, and modern and happens in every tournament ever.

I gotta fan out my graveyard in style so oppo knows how dead they are to my 2 lava darts and a single bolt

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Time posted:

War had such powerful cards that it has still entirely pushed certain archetypes out of the meta entirely

I miss playing Temur Rec so goddamn much

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Time for the power 9 to become the power 10

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

drainpipe posted:

That pretty much confirms a ban on 11/18. Hope they ban the right card(s) and not pull a Hogaak.

It in absolutely no way confirms a ban on 11/18. Why do you think that?

If you are not aware, this is the regularly scheduled B&R, been on the books for months and months. Its not like the last one that was essentially an emergency B&R

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mike N Eich posted:

Its too bad Wizards doesn’t do content errata (well, often) because Oko could be a fair card if you lowered his starting loyalty, turned the Elk into a minus loyalty and maybe turned the plus into merely a plus 1. It’s like somewhere in development they turned every single number into a bigger number, except his costing cost.

Anyway as it is it’s insane

You cant do an errata like that, because of just how much confusion it would cause. Banning the card in literally ever format (a thing that would never happen) would cause less of a headache.

That being said, if literally the only difference was that oko came in at 3 loyalty and ticked up to 5, the card would be way more balanced as it would at least die to fry. Red would be able to exist as a color.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

A ton of other CCGs in the past have done content errata and it works fine. Never understood why Wizards won't.

Magic has, and does, do erratas. Many cards have been erratad. The issue here is that changing literally every meaningful number on a single card creates an extremely unfriendly player environment and is less of an eratta and more of a complete redesign.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

GrandpaPants posted:

Aren't most Magic errata stuff like adding that oops, this effect ends at the end of the turn or stuff like that? Has there ever been a "balance" errata?

Like Bust Rodd said, erattas have been to clear up unclear rules interactions or to add for unforeseen consequences that R&D didn't catch. Sometimes they are used to fix flat out printing errors.

The Hostage Taker eratta is probably the best example of one, and its recent.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Huxley posted:

Nexus worked on the principle of "everyone plays proxies."

You still are not allowed to play with proxies in any official magic tournament. The fact that they had to use proxies for Nexus of fates at official events was a huge embarrassment for them.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Years and years and years of bannings have taught us that you don't ban the enablers, you ban the payoffs. if they are going to ban something its going to be oko

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

but actually, what on earth is l5r

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

You have to realize there is a difference between "random niche card game" and Magic the loving gathering lol

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

salt shakeup posted:

Turn 2 Oko.
Turn 3 Nissa / Turn 4 8/8 Krasis.

Standard! :imunfunny:

It also doesn't help that green has a 0 mana draw spell and 1 mana cryptic command.

turn 2 oko and turn 3 nissa is literally impossible

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I take Melissa's explanation at face value, honestly. They wanted Oko to be good, but hosed up and made it too good.

can I get I source on this?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The idea that R&D is like incapable of making mistakes seems really short sighted and not everything comes down to corporate meddling. If anything, corporate has an increased incentive to *not* print things like Oko, because a healthy standard is now imperative to the continued health of Arena, which is a major product.

When you work with a small group of people in a closed environment it is easy to just gently caress up sometimes and overlook something. People are not perfect, yo.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

There's been too heavy of a trend towards powerful planeswalkers which finally resulted in Oko. That looks like an ongoing issue with the R&D team. That explanation just linked makes me feel like they don't understand the issue that makes planewalkers overpowered. She said they underestimated the +1's defensive capabilities by shutting down opponent's answers. That ignores the high health, two powerful plus abilities, low mana cost, and instant pay off before even touching the -2.

Teferi and Narset were already ridiculous and they pretty much triple downed with Oko. That looks bad.

I mean that much is obvious, they want to push the powerlevel of planeswalkers in general. We just had an entire set built around them. That does not mean that they printed oko knowing they just printed the best planeswalker ever made and said "Good job team"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Doltos posted:

There's been too heavy of a trend towards powerful planeswalkers which finally resulted in Oko. That looks like an ongoing issue with the R&D team. That explanation just linked makes me feel like they don't understand the issue that makes planewalkers overpowered. She said they underestimated the +1's defensive capabilities by shutting down opponent's answers. That ignores the high health, two powerful plus abilities, low mana cost, and instant pay off before even touching the -2.

Teferi and Narset were already ridiculous and they pretty much triple downed with Oko. That looks bad.

I mean that much is obvious, they want to push the powerlevel of planeswalkers in general. We just had an entire set built around them. That does not mean that they printed oko knowing they just printed the best planeswalker ever made and said "Good job team"