Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Arglebargle III posted:

I like the knight that does the same thing as dusk legion zealot but for 4 mana.

a 1/1 that trades for anything is a little different from a 1/1 that trades for nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Squinky v2.0 posted:

It'll be interesting, it seems like adventure decks will be trying to grind out incremental advantage and every card is built in card advantage, but there are some powerful aggro options in the other colors.

Like I can see how "low powered instant into low powered creature, BUT IN ONE CARD" will have trouble keeping up with the guy slamming knights and turning them sideways turns 2-6

for Murderous Rider in limited, murder stapled to a creature is way more palatable at rare, where you may only see it once every few drafts, rather than at uncommon where you could see it multiple times per game.

except you can just play the adventure as a blocker!!! the mechanic is absurd for limited and about half of them would be first pickable in any other format. the ones where the sorcery half is just a combat trick are more meh, but they're still going to make attacking and blocking horrible.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

What’s everyone’s day 1 craft? I’m on 4x Brazen Borrower, ride or die

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i am extremely bored of m20 draft and ready for a new environment. just hit plat with a double Skeleton/double Murder/double Splinters deck with Blood for Bones and Scholar of the Ages. three of the seven wins were to opponents conceding after i demonstrated the Bones/Scholar loop.

deck also had a Cavalier of Gales, sometimes you just have it

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

ardenvale tactician is an absolutely bonkers common for limited, lonesome unicorn is also great, white has not-unreasonable removal (trapped in the tower, glass casket, outflank in a pinch), it's a very good color

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

I haven't played with or against unicorn but it seems extremely mediocre. Bone whatever necromancer in core 20 was the same two bodies without vigilance but didn't make you pay for it twice, and it was not a big deal

I have played both with and against Unicorn and it’s phenomenal, both because creatures are a little smaller in this set than M20 (which had playable common 3/3s in several colors) and because you can cast the unicorn’s front half on turn 3 rather than having it sit in your hand until 5

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

this draft format is a bit slow, but not insanely so... except the GB food deck. Jesus Christ that deck is miserable. Putting sporecap spider in green was a mistake, since otherwise a tempo fliers type deck could punish GB’s molasses-paced development.

I just beat it with WB with triple Ardenvale Tactician and triple Smitten Swordmaster, and I still had to utilize the Swordmaster drain and repeatedly recur them with Forever Young and Barrow Witches to do it.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

zoux posted:

Here's the lists for the 5-0s on Goldfish, much easier to import and look at, which is why I didn't notice the oven list

(Also what modern card is Esper Stax named after?)

Stax actually was originally called The Four Thousand Dollar Solution because it was a very expensive way to beat decks that were prevalent at the time— T4K$S, which became $TAKS

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the food package is a lot less miserable than the explore package was, change my mind

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

all of the non-green Syrs are good in limited, that’s not a question. None are good enough for constructed

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

I have drafted BG twice in trad draft, both times it was bonkers and easily went to five wins. WB knights has gotten me to three wins reliably but can easily run out of steam against a real control deck. UB just seemed really bad, as did RB, the decks are just too clunky and unfocused against people casting 4 mana 4/4s and 5 mana 5/5s. Right now I’m on UG in ranked draft and the archetype looks like it’s supposed to be Ramp but in reality is just Draw A Million loving Cards, so I’m taking every 1 for 1 offered and grinding people out. I drew like 7 cards with an Edgewall Innkeeper in one game.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

"legacy is too expensive"
"that's because of the reserved list, we can't reprint staples"
"can't you create a new format?"
"ok, here's modern. it's all post-reserved list so we can reprint whatever we need to."
*years go by*
"sooooo, modern is getting really expensive. how about those reprints we talked about?"
"...here's pioneer."

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

they could have printed snapcaster mage and all ten fetches at rare in a set with $3.50 boosters if they wanted to. they didn't want to.

ironically the biggest actual reason to not like fetches is that they make rounds take longer because of all the shuffling, which, fair, but with the transition to digital that entirely ceases to be a problem.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i think of all the mainstream large nerd IPs, magic probably has the worst story, but at the bottom of the ladder the rungs are reallllllly close together

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

banning goose doesn’t kill the deck. the problem isn’t that you can play your broken card a turn early sometimes, it’s that your broken card is broken.

Without Oko the food deck is just a cool engine deck that invests resources and then gets to pay them off with Wicked Wolf and stuff. With Oko it’s just a shell that allows a broken value engine to negate every play your opponent makes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the reason the numbers on her are so conservative is that you can cast her out of the yard again and again and again as long as you’ve got enough cards to enable escape. not saying that means she’s powerful, especially with questing beast as an aggressive threat she can’t protect herself against, but it’s a consideration

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

fadam posted:

Lmfao Jesus Christ

absolute thermonuclear take

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

When you really think about it, committing sexual assault seems pretty meta these days and thus all us non-sex pests are the real home brewers.

i brewed my own sex life. i had to cut consent from the 75 but you should check out the transformational sideboard.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the biggest """skill""" pro players have that others don't is putting their opponent on a specific card, that is, figuring out what they're holding based on their play pattern. even that is much more meta familiarity than some kind of secret magic jutsu. like, i'm nowhere near pro, and the other day i figured out pretty early on that my WB draft opponent was holding a silverflame squire. from then on i just never presented any opportunity for him to get value from it until he was forced to use it in a bad situation to 2-for-1 himself. had i just played into it like a dope i would have lost valuable early tempo and possibly fallen behind in the game, but because i didn't, he was the one who lost tempo by holding it up.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Veil is absolutely beyond broken, it’s a 1-mana cantripping answer to
1) any counterspell
2) most kill spells
3) any discard spell
in a color that’s not supposed to be able to interact with those things very well.
If it didn’t have the draw a card clause it would still see tons of play, that’s how good it is. Think of all the 1-mana cards with “draw a card” on them and then think about how many of them would still be playable if they didn’t say draw a card.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

it's much stronger in non-rotating formats because it's a hate card that's not effective against the best color in standard right now, that part is easy

the problem with veil is that it hits a MASSIVE variety of threats. hate cards are historically narrow and strong (teferi's response) or broad and weaker (ghost quarter). veil is both super broad-- it interacts with three different types of spells-- and super strong, since it's a 1-mana instant speed 2-for-1.

it's doing gruesome things in legacy. people hate having their spells countered, fair, but since blue hasn't been able to do much against resolved permanents since 1995 or so they kind of have to be able to counter.

like, yeah, it's green elemental blast, but way way way better, and the elemental blasts are way too strong to print today.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

Mentor of the Meek, Inspiring Commander, Puresteel Paladin, Acclaimed Contender?

I think Innkeeper could have been white pretty easily.

Mentor is a card that Maro repeatedly says was a mistake and should not have been printed or reprinted

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

...it was reprinted last loving year

yeah and maro is not happy about that. I’m just offering this as an explanation for why edgewall innkeeper is green and not white; maro would pitch a fit

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the last time Magic’s story was any good was original Ravnica if not before, but usually it’s just boring and poorly written instead of boring, poorly written and offensive

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

zoux posted:

I just played a guy and he had fires on 4 all three games, what are the odds of having a 4-of in your hand by turn 4?

either it happens or it doesn't, 50%

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

It hasn’t been long since the bans but it feels like rakdos knights just dumpsters fires. drill bit being able to take out giant and other adventure creatures makes it a pretty huge upgrade over duress.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

NOT_A_VIRUS.EXE posted:

I've only played a few games with it but this deck is both good and fun.

Here is the import if anyone wants it.

Deck
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
4 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
2 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
3 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
4 Godless Shrine (RNA) 248
1 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
4 Oath of Kaya (WAR) 209
2 Temple of Silence (M20) 256
4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
3 Murderous Rider (ELD) 97
4 Gilded Goose (ELD) 160
4 Trail of Crumbs (ELD) 179
4 Doom Foretold (ELD) 187
4 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
3 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
2 Plains (ELD) 253
3 Swamp (ELD) 261
2 Forest (ELD) 269

Sideboard
1 Assassin's Trophy (GRN) 152
1 Vraska, Golgari Queen (GRN) 213
1 Ethereal Absolution (RNA) 170
1 Kaya, Orzhov Usurper (RNA) 186
1 Kaya's Wrath (RNA) 187
2 Legion's End (M20) 106
2 Noxious Grasp (M20) 110
2 Rotting Regisaur (M20) 111
4 Duress (M19) 94

if you don’t call this deck Junk Food, what is wrong with you

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

in a colour which has relatively easy access to pumps

blue is by far the worst color at creature pump

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

also Merfolk Secretkeeper is, like all other mill cards, wildly unplayable in constructed despite the fondest hopes of many kitchen table brewers

any simic deck with secretkeeper in it has handicapped itself by putting in a bad creature

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the most interesting thing about cauldron is it’s a 12CMC artifact that can be cast for BB. that’s not really a standard thing though

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

How much land do you run in a draft deck?

17, 16 if you have a really low curve (like topping out at 4 and mostly 1-3)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

i just had a 500 IQ moment that made me feel really good so you all get to hear about it.
Throne draft, Mono-R vs. UB. I have out Rampart Smasher, Fireborn Knight, and a 1/1 Dwarf token. Oppo has been having a rough time of it and has just Revenge of Ravens out. He's at 2 life but with a full grip. He goes land, Rage of Winter my Rampart Smasher, pass with BB UUUU up. I immediately put him on Bake Into a Pie. So on my turn, I swing with just the dwarf token, putting him to 3, and Boulder Rush it for lethal.

He tanks for a moment. Does he burn his premium kill spell on the 1/1 to save himself, leaving behind two incredibly dangerous threats? Eventually, he Bakes the Fireborn Knight, leaving UU untapped. In response, I Scorching Dragonfire my own Knight to fizzle his Bake.

He snap concedes.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

Is blue as a color relatively weak in ELD draft?

i think this is broadly true since the bots were fixed to take secretkeepers, so tiny and didn't say please higher. blue has some reasonable but not exceptionally exciting uncommons, one common removal spell that's just ok, and then it's like tome raider and... what else? vantress paladin and steelgaze griffin are both super unexciting, faerie vandal is good but the "draw two cards" deck is worse than it looks.

i think blue pairs well with black in a controlling non-mill deck (or at least i've had success with that combo) and if you get the cards for it UR can be good (but you really, really have to hit critical mass, and if you don't the deck sucks rear end). uw is kind of a flop and ug leans very very heavily on G (I think thunderous snapper is just straight-up better in mono-G).

edit: to be clear here blue in throne isn't like green in Battle for Zendikar, it's more like... blue in kaladesh, if you played then, or selesnya in Guilds of Ravnica

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 10, 2019

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

devotion is a cool mechanic with the caveat that it scales infinitely, so very good devotion decks tend to be snowbally (the better you’re doing, the better all your cards are)

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

the flip side is it seems like ashiok just straight up can't beat a resolved sword of fire and ice if they're not super, super ahead, and every elspeth player i've faced has had it turn 3

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

every single game I lost as ashiok was to a resolved sword when I ran out of removal before he ran out of creatures and every game I won as ashiok was when that didn’t happen.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

two 5-0s in a row running mono red, i really don't know why i bother trying to run anything else.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

clover is for decks that want to draw a billion cards off innkeeper and grind you out with value, adventure knights is not that

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Propaganda Hour posted:

That's fine. It's a BR variant of Fact or Fiction then which is still amazing.

fact or fiction is a four-cost, one-color instant that puts the unused cards in your yard. this is a five-cost, two-color sorcery that gives the unused card to your opponent and lets them cast it immediately for free, also they pick what they get instead of you. this card is so much worse than FoF that it's actually kind of offensive to me that you made that comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

in standard breach doesn’t do much that experimental frenzy doesn’t do but in eternal formats it is an arguably better version of one of the best cards ever printed in the history of the game, lol. with lion’s eye diamond and brain freeze in your hand it’s a 100% kill