Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Wizards must have a whole book of ways to get around saying “we want our non-rotating format to cost you a lot of money,” despite it being obvious to us all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Isn’t Syr Gwyn a woman?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

To me the cost doesn't seem an issue. The worst case is that you pay 200 gold and receive two uncommons, which isn't too bad. And likely you'll get better than that.

The worst case scenario is it’s two uncommons you already owned and you paid 200 gold for 0.67% of vault progress

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Teferi is one of the only characters left alive from when when I started playing Magic as a child so I’m way more invested in him than all these stupid modern characters for young people

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I made a terrible deck that involves putting Gutterbones into an oven to make it into food then reanimating it to do it repeatedly, and I like imagining a witch making endless skeleton pie

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Being an amazing Arena player, I just lost a lot of games because I accidentally switched on the autopasser and couldn’t work out how to turn it off

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Have they said how the Brawl precon cards are being implemented on Arena? Do you just have to craft them all, or is there some other way to get them?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

I like how this dude complains about giving green every piece of the color pie and then as examples, naming multicolor cards that are green and then the appropriate color for whatever he is complaining about.

Like he is right in a lot of points but that is silly

I don't know that it is because Green is now the colour that has easiest access to all the other colours (because it has the best fixing) while also being the colour that has access to the most abilities by itself, so the fact it can trivially access multicoloured cards that compensate for its weaknesses becomes more of a problem. Like I thought that one of the reasons Hydroid Krasis and Oko are frustrating is that they can both do things Green should be bad at without you needing to invest too much in Blue mana, because you only need a single pip of it and you can get that from Green cards anyway. And in the case of the Krasis it's worse than that because Green is the colour of ramp, and so it becomes better in a heavily G deck despite being a massive flyer that draws lots of cards.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

We played L5R a lot at school with my friend who said honour was too complicated to use, then beat us with the clan whose only weakness was being dishonourable. Also I made my own cards based on my friend’s brothers, then it turned out they weren’t actually her brothers and she got annoyed

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I don’t think this pass has had any free levels; whereas the last one had I think 12000 XP that was trivial to earn? It is a bit more punishing this time around in terms of the time you’ll need to spend to max out.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The Oko event feels like it must have been designed to see how much misery and currency players will put up with in exchange for pretty things, which hurts a bit because in my case the answer is “a lot, apparently.” F2P stuff really knows how to exploit my stupid brain; this is like a sunk cost fallacy/undervaluing time/gated exclusivity/slot machine hell I’d stacking psychological exploits :(

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I don’t think I ever really knew what an “Eggs deck” was if I’m being completely honest

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I’m terrible at drafting almost all the current sets so it’s quite a shock to play Dominaria again and suddenly face people who clearly haven’t done this format before; I can pretend I’m good at Magic for a fleeting moment

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I am a no-brain-man and can’t work out how to access Theros Traditional Draft from the menu. It’s been live for days, right?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

Are advanced modes enabled?

Ahhhhhh

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I have a truly awful draft deck whose one way to win is to recur a single Gary four or five times and I’m kind of stoked to play it

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Lands aren’t even spells; the wording on that Saga is kind of cruel in allowing you to name them

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Death Corona was a hell of a timing but anyone acting all weirded out by the existence of pangolins and bats in cards has definitely started going a bit stir-crazy.

It’s a bit more than that; you can mutate a bat and pangolin together then use death corona to make it kill stuff that it touches

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Only six packs on the paid track that won’t rotate out in autumn is what moved it to a no buy for me; it’s not really a saving if you’re paying for stuff that you’ll hardly use :(

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I can’t tell if we’re supposed to be rooting for all the human cities to be destroyed or not in Ikoria. I *think* we are?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

My favourite plane by far was Mirrodin and its destruction still bums me out a decade later :(

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Magic the Gathering Arena: Animal Crossing (New Horizons)

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I don’t think a three mana card that sometimes just sits in your hand doing nothing is what RB sacrifice wants; its ceiling with deathtouching mayhem devil and another mayhem devil is cool but sitting in your hand dead on turn three is very bad indeed. I think the number of times when it’s not good will greatly outweigh the times that it is.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

That Ooze that means you can only play creatures has been working out very well indeed as a companion in my UG draft, that guide I read that said not to companion him under any circumstances was wrong. I think it ended up stronger even without the extra card I always start with; the spells I drafted were bad and the mutate triggers are much better at doing spell things

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I was very tired today and shouted “These are terrible decks, Felton; go away and sacrifice your cane!” at the screen, then legitimately felt bad for the fictional man I was angry at

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Mutate tripped me up in that Feldon event with Vadrok because I realised I had no idea if you could mutate from the Command zone/how mutating interacts with a Commander at all

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I just assumed the self-mill deck would have Thassa’s Oracle in it, but of course it doesn’t because Feldon is an insane old man who’d much rather shuffle his graveyard into his library than make a no-library deck that wins the game

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

GrandpaPants posted:

There's always Return to Ikoria in like, 5 years?

I wouldn’t be surprised if Ikoria ends up on the “Planes we will not be going back to” list, but we will see. I get that kind of vibe from the response it’s had and the way Wizards already seems to be a bit reticent about saying we’ll see a lot of the stuff in it again.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I had a 7-1 Keruga deck yesterday and part of that was because I heard somewhere to draft lots of Gloom Pangolins and that was indeed very good advice. But I also got lucky and would have collapsed against basically any flyers at all.

I thought BG Value worked very well with Keruga because you can have a wide board with bushmeat poachers gaining you life and then Keruga gaining you even more value to make your board even wider. I imagine he might kind of suck in a mutate focused deck and that this might be a trap given his colours. But using him to draw loads of cards in a deck with no blue seemed great to me.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I find Ikoria way easier to draft than Theros and don’t really get why people say it’s hard to draft; I find it much clearer what the synergies are and how to draft something that works as a cohesive whole. I never really worked out how to make a good deck in Theros, just several mediocre ones :(

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I did not enjoy Smash Up as a game but would definitely enjoy the concept applied to a different game that was better, such as this

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Shark Typhoon is almost never actually cast, though, right? Like it would still see as much play if it had no text other than its cycling ability, I’d assumed.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

What level did the free Mastery track packs stop arriving last set?

It’s been consistently calculated as being the same number you’d get in the old system of three packs every week for 15 wins; it is less this time because the gap between releases is shorter. I imagine at some point they will reduce this number, but they haven’t yet.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

There are three draft tokens, not two.

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

It's so crazy to draft Ikoria this late and have the cycling deck WIDE open. Like, every pay off and every 1 mana cycler is just available for you

I don't have a Zenith Flare but I think between the two Foxes, the three Stingers and the two Snare Tacticians I should be ok

Last night I got P2P3 Flare, P3P5 Flare and 1 mana cyclers at pick 14, I was kind of horrified at how open it was. Then I only got 5 wins with the resulting deck because I am bad at the game

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I wonder if they’ll make you collect the Jump Start lands individually or something like that, with each one taking a Rare WC to craft otherwise. Just trying to think of something that would make us all miserable

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I always expect Wizards to do the greediest thing possible so this State of the Game feels weird in a nice way

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The current bot draft right now is for a set not in Standard; I’m pretty sure if they were stopping those they would explicitly say so and not use the phrase “rotating out of Standard.” They won’t be rotating out of Standard once they’re gone

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

The Special M21 Lands are in Jump Start so may end up being treated in the same way all the other special lands in that thing are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Smugrat the Bold RR
Goblin Miner 2/2

Whenever one or more lands enter the battlefield, those lands deals 4 damage to its controller.

Would be my dream card RN.

I’m pretty sure this card is absurd even when measured against the current power level of Standard