Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pvt. Parts posted:

So what's legal in the non-descript "Play" queue? I just saw my opponent use a Murder and realized that the starter mono-color decks aren't Standard legal either.

If you queue up with a standard-legal deck it'll pair you with another standard deck. If you queue up with a card only legal in Historic, you will get a Historic game. I think once you get past the new-player experience queue, that's all the filtering there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mox Hombre posted:

you don't get wildcards for historic bans?

You do, but because of the way they do things you don't often.

If a card goes on the suspended list, you don't get wild cards. They've said they don't intend to leave cards suspended forever, which is why people are expecting to hear one way or the other on BTE today. If a card goes from the suspended list to the Historic ban list, you absolutely do get wild cards, but only if you haven't already received them for that card for another reason (a standard ban).

So if in January they ban [card] in standard and you have two copies, you get two Wild Cards for it. After that ban you craft the next two copies of the card for Historic, then they put it on the Historic suspended list, no wild cards. If 6 months later they finally ban it in Historic, you get your next two wild cards. You can only ever receive a total of 4.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Why was that suspended again? I can only think of the synergy with Ghalta.

Powering out Cleaves.

That was in a very different version of Historic, though. T3 cleave is probably always going to be a playable deck, though.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Which wins more games, T3 cleave or T3 Muxxus?

T3 Muxxus needs Prospector, Wily, Muxxus and 3 lands.

T3 Cleave needs one of your 8 1-drops, one BTE and any of your other 2s, Cleave and 3 lands.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Spell lands and new duals are a thing, too. Though the Pioneer Bushwhacker Gruul lists aren't messing with the spell lands.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just throw "[Proper noun], The" in front of any card and reduce its cost by 1. "Reginald, The Squire" Boom, legendary 1/2 for W.

EDH players everywhere go nuts.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Share Bear posted:

if you play bo1 play more bo3, or play more all in aggro decks so you can at least grind out mythic even if youre not good

bo1 is heavy on the coin flip. its like 55/45 by default to whoever goes first

I'll agree with this. The one month I had enough time to actually play, I got to Plat 3 in Bo1 and just spun my wheels for a week. Swapped to Bo3 (Historic mono red) and got over in a couple of hours.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Magic.gg updated with decklists again, and this batch I can at least picture making the win streaks they're claiming. The meta decks are in there, but so are somewhat-tuned versions of T2 and T3 archetypes.

https://magic.gg/decklists/traditional-historic-ranked-decklists-october-15-2020

Which isn't to say there isn't some truly wild brewing going on. The goblins list they pulled is running 4x Malakir Rebirth (B: return something to the battlefield that died this turn//comes in tapped swamp). Which I guess is cute with like, saccing Muxxus to Tower? Getting in an extra Krenko activation? Generally playing it as a Dive Down?

Standard also exists. These lists look like what you'd see getting random winstreaks in the first week of a format.

https://magic.gg/decklists/traditional-standard-ranked-decklists-october-15-2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Anyone playing standard Gruul right now watch out.

Turn on full control if you intend to crack a fetch in combat with Brushfire Elementa. I just lost a game because the game didn't give me a chance to crack an Evolving Wilds before damage. File it away in the same mental space as holding priority with Skirk Prospector with nothing castable in hand.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I've never spent a single gold on cosmetics for this crazy game, but I'm going to agonize all day over which pack of those basics to get.

Old frame got me.

Shrecknet posted:

I don't know who in this thread recommended Fair Burn to me, but thank you. It is an absolute joy to play, tons of interaction and decision points every turn so every loss is always 100% your fault. I see now why Patrick Sullivan likes the archetype so much

I've been me long enough to know that, if I've got an hour to play I'd rather go 5-5 than 2-0. Love when Magic lets me be me.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

SalTheBard posted:

I would buy so many land cosmetics if they did Alpha / Beta / Ice Age lands.

The only reason there's a second's hesitation is knowing AB lands are coming eventually.

I'll probably resist if they stick with the large logo, but if they go all-in with "Tap to add [u] to your mana pool." I'm done for.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Shooting Blanks posted:

I hate Momir. If I wanted to play a 100% RNG game, I'd play digital roulette.

Momir is the only one of these, "2 free rare" weekend events I won't touch. If it were 2 free rare wildcards, I'd still have to really push myself to get it done for value.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Historic Fall 2020 Season: Or, How I Learned To Stop Worrying about Teferi And Learned To Love Embercleave

I've literally never been high on a mono red deck in any format before unless you count Daretti Stax and that is a brown deck that splashes red for its commander.

I don't think I've played a deck without BTE since they un-suspended it, and I've never been happier.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is there a good place for stealing Brawl lists other than goldfish?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just noticed I'm about to unlock the "Everybody grab a leg!" emote, which is somehow both filthy and also makes zero sense.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to dump all my gold into packs, craft 4 Bomat Couriers and 4 Aetherworks Marvels, and then start saving up for the winter set.

And craft a bunch of commons and uncommons, obviously.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

sit on my Facebook posted:

Edit re the above, Heart of Kiran is certainly a thing right? HoK with Time Raveler, yuck

Here on the eve of a format change, what are the established archetypes in historic these days? I play nearly none but would be interested in trying it out. What are the format defining cards? What should I be thinking about facing while I brew?

Perhaps, just for fun/as a though experiment, could I get a few of y'all to post a Top Eight of what you consider the format pillars?

You've basically got Uro/Nissa decks, Cleave/BTE decks, Thoughtseize decks, and Muxxus decks as your top tier.

T1 is probably
Uro Pile (currently BUG, sometimes splashing white for the Legendary HatePig guy)
Rakdos Graveyard (built mostly around casting Thoughtseize multiple times and recasting Kroxa multiple times with Lurrus or the UB reanimane/haste guy, sometimes features Young Pyro)
Mono red aggro (currently creature heavy because Cleave and also we don't have the full prowess creature package and probably aren't ever getting the broken spells that make that deck go)
Goblins (actually the combo deck of the format)
Gruul MR (either Cocoing or Questing Beasting, both want to Cleave T3)

T2 and borderline and Bo1 stars are stuff like Lifegain, Auras, UWx control, Blue tempo, Karn wishboard decks trying to Ugin asap, etc.

Jund sac fell off, I think mostly because it's the worst of the three decks that have to beat cages post-board.

e: There are true combo decks, too, but they are all really bad post-board and not good enough to be the like, 80% game 1 favorites those decks want to be.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Nov 11, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Having typed all that out now, I can absolutely see Cleave going sometime in the next year.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, there are an absolute ton of decks you can Mythic with, because ladder is loosely defined (ie, soft). Stuff like Neoform, God-Pharaoh's Gift, or 9 Lives lock will probably roll through Bo1 if all you want to do be on your bullshit, so to speak.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

witchy posted:

I am going to flashback sublime epiphany with torrential gearhulk and it's going to be amazing

Lordy that's a spicy one I didn't really think about

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
They said they did it this way because adding a million lands to everyone's collection all at once has started causing server issues.

I hope they do it this way at least until they come up with a way to do default basics, that way my old-frame basics will always be my most-recently acquired, and always default.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

Currently Brawl lists online are almost always user-submitted piles of poo poo full of cute jank that people think is clever but actually sucks.

This is the big bummer for me. I love playing but absolutely hate deck building. MTG is like a fighting game for me, where I just want to pick a premade and bash. That works great in Standard and Historic, where I can pull up mtgmelee or goldfish if I feel like I haven't updated my CoCo list in a while, or whatever.

But all the Brawl decks people post are terrible and I get frustrated when I pull something that looks reasonable and then it turns out to have a bunch of cards in it that literally don't do anything.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

To be somewhat fair, Brawl should be janky nonsense and piles of poo poo. It's extremely unfun if its all T1 stuff. I love my janky Historic Brawl Dinos deck and my normal brawl mutate deck as mutate's probably my favorite mechanic printed in the last 3 years.

Thanks!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rythe posted:

How the hell does match making work in Arena? I am a new player that just unlocked all the multi-color decks and working on grinding out some quest to get gold for drafting and I am repeatedly getting matched against shrines, mill, dimir rogues and other decks that just stomp the poo poo out of me. I don't think I played against another pre-con in close to 20 matches and I am not even playing on the ladder. Getting frustrating loosing all the time and it's hard as hell to get 15 wins a week at this rate.

Try ladder. The Play queue just blind pulls people (more or less), while the ladder will feed you other people roughly at your level of advancement.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Muxxus is Historic's Charbelcher, kinda sorta. It can whiff but has a much better backup plan. In either case, your entire goal is "cheat to X mana, cast card, probably win."

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lots of good Historic running this weekend. I ripped off the 5-1 deck from one of the qualifiers. I'm not sure it's actually any good but CoCoing into an Archon of Emeria in response to BTE is really fun.

Everyone keeps getting hotter and hotter on Skyclave, too, and this deck gets to play 4, which also is a point in its favor.

e: why did I not link the deck???

https://mtgmelee.com/Decklist/View/76419

Huxley fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 23, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
As per above, I ended up 8-4 or so (in Bo1) with that selesnya coco list. I don't think it's good, per se, but it's not far off. You can definitely win games in Plat with it.

https://mtgmelee.com/Decklist/View/76419

Metagames are weird. For two months Cauldron Familiar was just gone from any an all events, gone on ladder. This weekend it's destroying again.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just put all this together because I was curious. Nine big Historic events this weekend via SCG, giving us a really good snapshot of the meta. Oven, Uro, and Muxxus are T1; if you want to define T2 as being decks capable of spiking events here or there, T2 is gigantic in Historic (any flavor of Coco, Teferi decks, Gift decks, Bogles decks, brown ramp decks). Red did absolutely nothing, but that's not surprising because it can't beat beat Uro, loses a million different ways to Oven, and is less explosive than Gobs. Poor Bomat Courier.

Main Event (277 players) T16
Gobs x4
Oven decks (Rakdos or Jund) x4
Uro/Nissa decks (Sultai vs Pig) x3
Azorius/Teferi decks x2
Black Gift
Azorius Gift
Azorius Bogles

#8 (109) T8
Gobs 2
Oven 3
Uro 2
Azorius Bogles

#7 (124)
Teferi
Mardu Vehicles
Gobs 2
Oven
Uro 2
CoCo sprits

#6 (129)
Gobs 4
Oven
Orzhov Bogles
Uro
Colorless ramp

#5 (69)
Neostorm
Uro 4
Gobs 3

#4 (56)
Uro 2
Oven 3
Colorless Ramp
Gobs
Dimir Control

#3 (181)
Uro 3
Oven
Selesnya Mid
Gobs
Mardu Vehicles
Green Aggro

#2 (165)
Uro 2
Gobs 3
Oven 3

#1 (84)
Oven
Uro 3
Rakdos Pyromancer
Orzhov Bogles
Black Aggro
Dimir Control

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I just played a UR self-mill Gift deck that I really wish I could have seen more of, because it was the absolute jankiest combo nonsense.

Emry, Secretkeepers, Bomat Couriers, Moraug, Fury of Akoum, I don't even know what else. It was amazing and would have blown me out (on Gobs) had I not been able to tap Snoop with Krenko on top, giving me enough Skirk mana to Matron for Trashmaster.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

finished my mythic push this month with goblins. god drat is that deck still fun as hell. slamming muxus on turn 3 or 4 will never ever get old

Tapping out to cast Mux and hitting just the right combo of creatures to let you cast a second Mux immediately is just absurd fun.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
"Pro Tour" decklists metagame breakdown is up.

https://magic.gg/news/zendikar-rising-championship-metagame-breakdown

Huxley fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Dec 3, 2020

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I misread that. It's the metagame breakdown not actual decklists yet.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Tapping Snoop in your upkeep with Krenko on top then getting to draw and play Krenxo is the 2nd best thing going in magic right now (slightly behind getting to cast Muxxus twice in the same turn).

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The number of games with Gobs where you get to like

Snoop and whatever else in play, draw your mountain
Play Skirk off the top, reveal Chieftain
Play Chieftain off the top, reveal Krenko
Tap Snoop to Krenko, make tokens
Play Krenko off the top using Skirk mana
Tap Krenko, make tokens
Play Mux from hand using Skirk mana flipping another Krenko, etc

It's a gift, is what I'm saying. It's like if the most obvious pile of Goblins from the first deck you ever made also got to Charbelcher people out sometimes.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Autumn updated her twitter profile to include "she/her" alongside "they/them." I had noticed casters using she/her some this weekend and I'm glad to see it seems to be a reflection of her choice.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I bet 85% of games played are in Bo1 ranked.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
At any rate, LSV 7-0ed Day 2, so it worked out for him in the end.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Danimo posted:

After doing like 20 cube drafts the key to winning decks is 2-drops. Cube is full of powerful 2-drops that can put tons of pressure on your opponent or greatly outperform their mana cost. Robber of the Rich, Incubation Druid, Priest of the Forgotten Gods are P1P1 quality cards, and cards like Luminarch Aspirant, Dire Fleet Daredevil, Scavenging Ooze are close behind.

I decided to try one more of these using this advice and got here:

It feels nuts the way all cube drafts do to me, so I don't actually know. Maybe cut a 4 drop for Daredevil? Maybe something absolutely insane is in my sideboard and I don't know it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Danimo posted:

I would cut Ranger and Reinforcements for Crew and Daredevil, and cut Stance for one of banefire/weaponize/firebrand.

Edit: deck is really good though, only thing holding it back is that you only got one dual land

The only other one I saw, I passed to take Cleave midway through P2. So it goes. Thanks for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Really speaks to how much more powerful Historic has gotten in just 6 months.