Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What's a good dumb against the odds style build around for that one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I sorted by red rares, looked at the most expensive ones, found that there was one that tutors up four minotaurs and pukes them onto the battlefield and now I'm doing loving MINOTAUR TRIBAL SUCK MY DICK

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

B O V I N E
D O M I N A T I O N

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1246249108916113410

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My body is ready for Historic Brawl FNM.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

When I get a God Hand that curves out perfectly to a turn 4 kill, that is the shuffler working correctly.

When I draw 2 mountains in a row, that is the shuffler malfunctioning.

One thing that's helped me avoid conspiatorial thinking about ~the shuffler~ is running an overlay that tracks what's left in my deck and what the probability of drawing a given card is. It is also helpful for letting me know if I have any outs left to peel, or should explode.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

Have a link?

https://www.overwolf.com/app/AetherHub_MTGA_Assistant

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

flatluigi posted:

overwolf is pretty bad and likes to sneak in malware ads (and when I used it for hearthstone forever ago it took a loving lot of effort to fully install it)

just use untapped.gg

I wasn't aware of the Malware stuff but I went ahead and switched and the untapped feels a lot less glitchy and tempermental so thanks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

MTGA has opened that all cards brawl, and I have no idea what is even in historic. Does anybody have any cool archetypes to suggest? Or any OP historc cards that fit into a standard Orzhov Sacrifice/Token deck?

I made dinosaur tribal because I have wildcards to burn. :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Booml, boom, acka-lacka boom-boom!

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1248640758011265027

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1248663801051873282/photo/1

NGL I love making stupid decks.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The Feather Deck, Is Good.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1248694903829340163/photo/1

He conceded after the 4th snek. :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

darkroast posted:

I wish historic brawl was more frequent, I'm having a lot more fun with it than standard brawl (no experience with Commander) . Current brew is WGR Palladia-Mors, the Ruiner as the commander stacking auras on hexproof creatures which has been pretty successful and working on a Raff Capashen flash build. I've tried the Gishath deck and it's a blast, anyone have other fun Timmy style builds to try while it's up?

Knight Tribal is kind of fun, and if you want to go really off the wall make a When Walls Attack deck with Arcades.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I figured out what's more unbeatable than resolving a Dream Trawler.

Resolving a Dream Trawler, untapping with it, and then resolving a Dreadful Apathy to turn your Protean Thurmaturge into a second Dream Trawler. :black101:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1249121459320094720

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

it's too bad you draft all the bad trap cards, too

Which ones do you think are trap cards? The combat trick? Waverider?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

naiad, arena trickster, callaphe are all cards that pretend they're good, and aren't. infuriate is rarely going to be cast on your opponent's turn, thoughchain is strangely at its best here?

your 4 drops aside from shimmerwing are pretty medium.

rest of the deck is pretty good but i wish you had more Deny the Divine, Stern Dismissal, Omen of the Sea, Thrill/Thirst.

i'm curious what's in the rest of your pool.

2-0 so far and while I was never even in trouble it feels like my 4 CMC beaters just... aren't necessary. Maybe cut the Warden and Waverider for Dismissal and Fish?

E: Or maybe the Cyclops instead of the warden Warden trades off almost however you want and forces them to keep up ground blockers.

The Naiad's are mostly just curve-fillers with upside to keep them honest on the ground. They have helped me stretch my resources a little to do basically whatever I want on their turn. :shrug:

Never saw any Denies.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 12, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Lone Goat posted:

what's under that apathy? this is like putting your thumb over the camera lens lol. also you can click the little magnifying glass top right near where it says CRAFT to make your sideboard cards smaller so you can see them all in a single screenshot

incendiary oracle should 100% be in here. stern dismissal and lionfish are usually medicore but are good in this deck. you're a tempo deck, disrupt your opponent's stuff and push in your damage before they can stabilize.

oread is better than naiad because it blocks just as well and lets you rummage away lands and prevents flood. thrill is real good, play both, you need instants.

waverider is better than cyclops here because you'll have like 11 enchantments and it'll fly a lot.

I tweaked it a little and there was a hilarious line of play with Lionfish where I used it to untap his lyre after he sunk mana into tapping my guy down. :v:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Also running the other Thrill was the right call- Filled up the yard when I needed to escape the Phoenix FTW.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Darox posted:

They run Priest of the Forgotten Gods and can choose to sideboard Libation. Dream Trawlers are not a good answer to Cats.

It's too slow for what the main deck wants to do and too niche to be a sideboard card, especially since the sideboard hate against cats usually exiles creatures/yards.

I have found that maindecking that modal disenchant/lifegain/4/3 centaur thing in my bant really fucks up Cats by breaking their ovens at will.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I've gotten some dumb bullshit here and there. The Bolas pack as soon as that hit because I said I would if they ever did one. The Unsanctioned land set.

The only ones I really ragret are the Histoic bundles cause as often as I play that format I shoulda just redeemed individual wild cards

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Does this latest season pass at least pay back what it costs in gems if you complete it? I'll probably still get it if so since I jammed out enough last time to be level 100+

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

It's kind of disappointing they don't at least throw you a bone like IDK a rare ICR every 5-10 levels after 100. Honestly they may as well have it just stop like Call of Duty. I guess if i get a dupe it at least fills "THE VAULT" like .001%.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 14, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

SalTheBard posted:

Is the 100+ change new? When I did the M20 grinder I'm pretty sure it stopped at 100.

Yeah you can grind forever afaik, it just is an uncommon ICR per level after you get to the end.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Historic Brawl honestly feels like a format with potential for anyone who likes commander, but for it to really come into it's own they need to implement 4 player tables and I would be a fiver they built the UI in such a way they'd have to start from brass tacks to do that.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

axeil posted:

I find that I like Historic Brawl way more than Standard because it seems to enable more janky silliness than Standard.

It allows both Dinosaur and Wall tribal, and is therefore far superior.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

axeil posted:

Wall tribal? That sounds incredible. Do you have a list?

I love my dino tribal historic brawl deck. It's not very good but it's so fun to play.

This is my very, very slapdash version that I made after I got my wins from the event to play as a meme- add interaction and actual good poo poo to taste:

Commander
1 Arcades, the Strategist (M19) 212

Deck
1 Novice Knight (M19) 30
1 Island (UND) 90
1 Crashing Drawbridge (ELD) 217
1 Gleaming Barrier (RIX) 178
1 Junktroller (RNA) 235
1 Amaranthine Wall (DAR) 210
1 High Alert (RNA) 182
3 Forest (UND) 96
1 Resolute Watchdog (RNA) 19
1 The Birth of Meletis (THB) 5
1 Teyo, the Shieldmage (WAR) 32
1 Riptide Turtle (THB) 61
1 Wall of Runes (WAR) 75
1 Wall of Mist (GRN) 58
1 Grappling Sundew (GRN) 131
7 Plains (UND) 88
1 Saruli Caretaker (RNA) 139
1 Portcullis Vine (GRN) 142
1 Suspicious Bookcase (M19) 246
1 Huatli, the Sun's Heart (WAR) 230
1 Castle Ardenvale (ELD) 238
1 Castle Vantress (ELD) 242
1 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
1 Hallowed Fountain (RNA) 251
1 Temple of Enlightenment (THB) 246
1 Sunpetal Grove (XLN) 257
1 Temple of Plenty (THB) 248
1 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
1 Hinterland Harbor (DAR) 240
1 Temple Garden (GRN) 258
1 Glacial Fortress (XLN) 255
1 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
1 Command Tower (ELD) 333
1 Arcane Signet (ELD) 331
1 Wall of Lost Thoughts (RNA) 59
1 Wall of Vines (M19) 210
1 Belligerent Brontodon (XLN) 218
1 Trostani Discordant (GRN) 208
1 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
1 Seal Away (DAR) 31
1 Banishing Light (THB) 4
1 Revoke Existence (THB) 34
1 Prison Realm (WAR) 26
1 Conclave Tribunal (GRN) 6
1 Mentor of the Meek (M19) 27
1 Smothering Tithe (RNA) 22
1 Scuttlegator (RNA) 218
1 Sky Tether (RNA) 21
1 Nyx-Fleece Ram (JOU) 18
1 Ornithopter (M10) 216
1 Mind Stone (WTH) 153

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The humans/soldiers archetype seems like it's going to give a fair bit to aristocrats. Might even see Mardu versions? :shrug:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I thought I would try to power grind to plat before the season was out and made red.dec and got tired of being mirror matched and having it come down to a coin flip. Even though I was above 50% win rate and would have gotten their eventually christ what a slog.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

You've been getting mirror matches? I've been getting my face pushed in pretty reliably any time I try the ladder with monored over the past week or so by decks running red-specific counters. Today's been a little less oppressive (though I've mostly been running Temur Adventures, to get some practice in for Ikoria, but suffice it to say... making plat isn't much better right now.

I'm finding it is mostly

mirror match:down to a coin flip/whoever is on the play/ curves and sequences/gets embercleave better

U/G/x:
I'm actually about 70% in this match up because it's like "tapland, growth spiral, tapland, durdleydo oh hey turn 4 lethal with nothing to stop me."

I was running a bant pile for a while and also above 50% but the matches were taking 5-10 times as long. They were more interesting and fun because that's my kind of magic when there's a lot going on, but for laddering it's probably better just to win or lose in 6 turns turning goblins sideways.

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 15, 2020

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Mat Cauthon posted:

The day they add chat functionality to Arena is going to be a sad one for me.

I like how it is and really hope it stays that way, but in-game friend list/whitelist chat would be okay.

I don't need to be called a Nazi Lizard Jew when someone's getting tilted, the repeated sarcastic "nice!" lets me know.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Somberbrero posted:

Are codes from the previous digital fnm events still good? I have a bunch left over from my store if anyone missed them.

I'd really appreciate one.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

What time can I open these packs and start drafting this is taking fooorrrever.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Assuming I don't mind drafting with bots as much as a lot of folks, which one is the best ExPeCtEd VaLuE?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Hey get your drafts in now, I think the free token has drawn in people who are just categorically bad at human drafting. I got paired against a guy who played multiple vanilla do-nothing 23rd card curve filler creatures. and one that forgot to block lethal.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I got a P2P1 Narset and moved into kind of splitting the diference between the spells deck and the cycling deck so far to good effect. I drafted the Big Dumb Red Enchantment and hope I can pull off some funny things to cycle into.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Bernie is the most Selesnya player that ever existed.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Relin posted:

taking out gems from the mastery pass makes me sad

It really doesn't seem worth it having looked through it. A pet I'm not going to display, and packs for sets I've already mostly collected, and not enough gems to offset the cost in any meaningful way. Probably skipping it and spending those gems to draft more.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Do I have to do anything with untapped.gg to get it to update the overlay for the new set?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Did they change the way hand-averaging works in best of one? Literaly every first draw has been a 1 or 0 lander for me.