Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ithle01 posted:

Fairy deck is my favorite to play against because without fail my opponents play their commander right into removal and then rage quit immediately.

even better if you turn it into frog and just fly over

Esper fairy precon seems the best in the event - best ramp due to multiple mana rocks, best answers (lol esper) and most synergistic.
Knights can win pretty fast with a proper opening hand and the hasty slipper
Jund depends on drawing mayhem devil fast

But I am still most excited to build Parun Niv-Mizzy and 5C one when Brawl opens up for real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

//*wrong thread*//

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Feather pilots on Arena are notoriously terrible, they almost always play poo poo non-stop in hope of a goldfish but scoop when opponent shows bare minimum of early interaction.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

They should add Phage to the 7 slot

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MTG Arena, the Other Goose Game

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Funkdreamer posted:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2354582#paper

"Golos Fires"

What a spectacularly greedy deck, Standard is truly a wonder to behold right now

this deck is like Brisela, Voice of Nightmares, two horrors rolled into one
(I still like Fires decks because they are fun Timmy bullshit that rams through anyway)

remember when people said that manabases are going to be rough this standard?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Knight of the Ebon Legion was way more terrifying in previous standard in the vampire tribal since the curve of that deck was BRUTAL, now it is just a good 1-drop in a format where aggro doesnt have a full suit of good creatures (especially 2-slot in monoB).

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/KanyeBestMTG/status/1182017967246254080

Icon of Ancestry in a Boros Knights deck but how do you argue with that rank

With those Boros Knights sometimes it feels that people grind with tier decks to mythic and then just gently caress around with jank to post screenshots

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Oct 10, 2019

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

What decisions are Golos fields players making exactly?

I had a particular braindead golos pilot that netdecked Nelson's version, sided in Jace (!) and just played it on curve (!!) against my UG ramp.
There are a lot of ways that you can gently caress up your game even when rolling the best deck in format.

Lone Goat posted:

*plays into sweeper every game and concedes on turn 5* gently caress U WIZZARDS

ALL THESE REMOVAL SPELLS ARE SO loving LAME AND BROKEN AND IA HATE IT, I KNOW I HAVE SPOKENB EBFORE ABOUT BANNIGN THOSE FUCKIGNHDHJFG ISLANDS, BUT HOENSTLY< I THINK ITS SWAMPS THAT CAUSE ALL THE PAIN IN MY LIFE. I AM HERBY, UNIRONICALLY ASKING THAT WIZARDSOF THE COASTS VBASKJD SWAMPS AND SILANDS< AND THE loving SHUFFLE< AND ONCE UPON A TIME BECAUSE PEOPLE KEEP CASTING IT IN MY loving END STEP< AND THATS MY END STEP< NOT YOURS YOU FUIjkdhksv fgchmkersdvgdfh tybr ydhfgdsvxbtgyhtd

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Sure I'll take rest from golos in ranked draft
*same UB mill deck every match from silver onwards*
welp

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Truga posted:

Surprisingly I'm just playing standard ranked to kick out dailies and I haven't seen a field of the dead more than 2-3 times yet. Maybe people in gold don't carry them as much. No, yesterday I lost my games to just random decks because I either got all swamps or no swamps :argh:

Anyway, I'm nearing 10k gold saved and want to do a draft but I've never done that before. Are there any good resources on how to build an effective draft deck? Or is it just "build familiarity with the current sets so you know what plays well"?

Some people do not play The Best Deck because they dont enjoy playing it and they want to turn knights sideways even when grinding - I havent seen THAT much Golos (maybe 1 in 3 matches) in Gold or Plat.

Watch Ben Stark's streams, he is very good on explaining his drafting and play decisions in detail.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

flatluigi posted:

run it with in historic

I think Day9 and Noxious did that superjank combo in one of their What The Deck?! videos

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I mostly played UR Niv-Mizzet in brawl event, he is quite good, especially with the support in multiple PWs (Sarkhan, War and BIG Chandras, Scions, Ral for flavor) for pressure/advantage and protection for Niv (lazotep plating for hexproof, Tale's end to gently caress up their commander drop, mission briefing for counterspell recursion). As usual, if you get to untap with Niv, you win.

Chulane is one of the nastier commanders because he is pure valuetown by himself, has access to both Teferi and Oko and wins through a pretty simple Frilled Mystic lock.

Reminder that if you want to run 3-color decks here your options for each combination are limited by M20 legends+Syr Gwyn for wedges and Rienne+Nicky B + other Eldraine precon commanders for shards.
And of course there is Niv Reborn, Kenrith and Golos for your 5c soup needs.

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Oct 25, 2019

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Truga posted:

I was really suprised the first time some fucker plopped 3 chandras on the battlefield. When did they change that rule anyway?

Ixalan

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Is this the chud that is mad about negating his turn 40 revel in riches

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

MRLOLAST posted:

ultimate blocker who kills questing beast and doesn't die

Questing Beast has a text for that too

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Pleased to meet you again Syr Regisaur take your blade and SMASH

Eat that starting hand Leyline you cat baking freak

(also helps with Kethis shenanigans)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

I am becoming very amused by people using Sorcerous Spyglass against my deck. I have literally one Activated non-mana ability and it's Castle Lochthwain. I've had several peolpe scoop when my non-activated abilities they've named still work.

(second spyglass named paradise druid fyi)

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

The Meta could be hard as gently caress and Field of the Dead would still be the best deck. That card is just too good.

Field is a top dog in Pioneer, that says something

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

I dunno how people are even finding time to grind to higher ranks in this standard.
With the braindead and roping jund sac pilots I can barely do 1 or 2 bo3 matches an evening because they take forever. Going past gold looks like a straight up sisyphean task now.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Eej posted:

How dare you mock the Secret Lair Serum Visions art it owns

https://twitter.com/EdgarMTG/status/1199390783448604674

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Effects I've seen that actually do shut down the combo: Sorcerous Spyglass, Ethereal Absolution. Artifact removal can work but you obviously have to hope they don't draw more ovens than you have shatters.

Grafdigger's cage does not let them get the cat out
Leyline of the void exiles everything that gets in the graveyard and you can start with it turn 0

both cards are going to be pretty important for the upcoming set

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Thassa Elementals deck is real as hell

https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/nrgD1SkaG

Risen Reef is back bois

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Now that there are tons of horrible bogles and bant control decks on a ladder can all reddit shitters crying about bad white cards gently caress off into the sunset?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Is simic ramp even playable now? I have tried several versions at this point and cant win a single game in several days - trashed by aggro and UW alike

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Embercleave is just temur battle rage

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

flatluigi posted:

despite people constantly posting conspiracy theories and misunderstanding probability, all actual attempts to try to track variance over a large dataset have found nothing that looks different to shuffling a physical deck

People in our LGS including the owner are 100% sure that the ladder shuffler is rigged to keep you at ~50% winrate "just like in Gwent and HS" unless you are an MPL member or a transgender streamer, I poo poo you not.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Historic goblins is hillarious, I cant wait for new additions from m21 and JS
Chainwhirler from the grave wrathing whole gruul boardstate, three ruinblasters back to back killing UG lands, good stuff
Who needs standard?

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Goddamn all uncommon-common creatures in Kaldheim limited aside from BW angels and Sarulf Packmate are such pure rear end
most games are just about drawing to and protecting your bomb rare

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

cannibal squirrel buddy (along with yawgmoth) was the friend my jund citadel deck needed, he is hillarious

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

This draft set blows but I finally have Prosper for historic brawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

flatluigi posted:

i don't really understand the mental gymnastics to blame alchemy on streamers, but you should probably give the draft a shot anyway instead of getting so mad at something you haven't played. i'm enjoying it more than SNC, at the very least

Streamers coming from Hearthstone and Gwent to MTG were very positive on the idea of digital-only cards and digital errata.
Dunno how they like the result because Alchemy is extremely bad.