Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhaegar posted:

I feel like it's going to be pretty jarring to go from the a theme around the ultimate battle between the planeswalkers and nicol bolas to a theme around generating food tokens to pump your fairytale minions.
I mean we went from the penultimate battle between the planeswalker team vs nicol bolas which the latter won to merfolk and treasure tokens while Jace got abs and a gorgon girlfriend.

No you're right this is more jarring, but Wizards doesn't seem to get transitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

These cards look lovely

Propaganda Hour posted:

Yes, but it's Wizards we're talking here. It takes them 5-10 tries to learn their lesson.
And in many cases we're not at 5-10 yet so set sail for more artifact blocks, over parastic mechanics and dredge stuff being broken for another ten years at least

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

She becomes a Human Merfolk with a mind full of VENGEANCE. Make fun of me for being a wallflower, will you!

But so far this set is exactly what I wanted. Also I think the last version of Run Away Together was playable at 4U delve, that effect is more powerful than it looks.

flatluigi posted:

this felt more of the case when the sorcery wasn't 'pay G for a 1/1 token'
Both effects are unreal if repeatable in limited. Making six power for seven mana is better than most late game topdecks.

Ability is going to be more complicated than that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Huxley posted:

New Phyrexia had a PDF of every card get leaked about this early.
Earlier than that, iirc, I think it was well before spoiler season.

IMJack posted:

Wasn't one set spoiled an entire quarter in advance when the Chinese WotC site published the wrong set of release notes?
Yes. Dominaria, though it didn't have all the information.

It was the highest attendance prerelease in years. And a beloved set. What a disaster!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

zoux posted:

Why are they spoiling all the 2020 sets, or is this normal
They go back and forth on revealing long term plans. For a while they would release tons of information about the upcoming schedule, but that stopped during the arena closed beta. Maybe they're going back to that.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Historic is such an economic clusterfuck on an innate level that there was going to be something stupid and I'm just riding it out.

This set looks so genuinely fun I'm cool with it, historic will sort by the time it's deep enough to be a good format, also twin Aryans got a 3 cmc single walker, lol

Oceanbound posted:

Do yourself a favour and stop reading that cesspool of a subreddit.
It can be pleasant when it isn't in angry mode but whole poo poo gently caress does it get bad. There was a post with a title like "this isn't anchor theory but boiling frog!!!" and my eyes rolled around my loving head so much it hurt.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

zoux posted:

Zendikar is crazy mana plane with the Roil (of whom Omnath is the Locus) which constantly reshapes the land. So it's dangerous and untamed and also where the Eldrazi were imprisoned for a while by Ugin, Sorin and Nahiri. They got out though.
Also the vampires have handlebars

I still don't understand what the loving deal with that is

Doltos posted:

Oh man Seb unleashed in a fairy tale setting set is gonna be some hella good artwork, same with Guay and Di Teriilissi
He was pretty coy about running another KS so soon but I feel like there's going to be a lot of demand

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That joke is weird

Eej posted:

Theros was

T1: Cloudfin Raptor
T2: Cloudfin Raptor + Cloudfin Raptor
T3: Thassa
T4: Master of Waves, your board is 3 flying 2/2s, a 5/5 indestructible, a 2/2 master of waves and 5 2/1 elementals
And sometimes for variety Thief of Sanity's dad was involved!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Brawl is not a great idea in real life and may flop again, but it's so perfect for arena.

zoux posted:

Is brawl gonna be a periodic event or part of the game
A new queue from what they've said.

Brawl and SNES on switch, today is a good day for cheap gaming.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

zoux posted:

Do you know where they said it.
Hmm I think it's in the official channels when discussing eldraine but looking at the most recent stuff it says "october hopefully"

Be kinda weird to do all this coding and not ship the queue though but this is a wizards of the coast production

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

If you find yourself tilting please bear in mind these are stupidly unbalanced decks. The card quality is all over the place, sometimes you just draw the 9 bad cards in your deck or several tapped lands in a row making GBS threads up your tempo. I've had the knight deck do nothing for six games to like turn 10 and then kill someone on turn 6 the next game.

Singleton is usually more consistent simply because the card quality isn't all over the map.

Hammer Bro. posted:

I saw like 700 unread posts in the Nintendo thread that I was current on this morning.

Thanks for saving me the time.

Also I now understand why they usually lock that thread during directs.
There is also reportedly a release of Doom 64 but I glossed over everything else.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

These are honestly kinda meh precons in general. I've played lots of games with the commander precons and while there are blow outs they tended to be more pleasant and less lopsided.

It's just a swingy eehhhh format.

Magic Underwear posted:

Why the gently caress is there a shivan dragon in the knights deck.
Yeah I didn't look at the decklists and glared angrily at the screen when it popped up.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The most recent update says "hopefully in the october update" so it probably doesn't launch this month

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I haven't fussed around with potential brawl decks but I feel like singleton formats tend to use a lot of rares

So in the arena world where rares are just rares it may not be a big cost difference

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I didn't make the connection earlier that artifacts with food subtype implies artifact creatures with the food subtype.

Meaning those gingerbread people will be hunted down by Savvy Hunter and eaten for cards, that's just amazing.

I think this means mirror entity can turn your entire board into food and savvy hunter can... gross.

Jabor posted:

Mono-red was very very good in Kaladesh-Ixalan Standard, so good that a bunch of cards from it needed to be banned.

I still find it funny people imagine energy would dominate historic when ramunap red + this standard's best cards looks pretty loving bonkers.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jabor posted:

No, because Mirror Entity doesn't give things artifact subtypes. It doesn't make them Equipment either, for example.
The point was there will be gingerbread people with the food subtype. Apparently.

Unless they're splitting it off from the type line that would make it a creature subtype as well.

Then again adventure is kind of a lovely implementation as explained so maybe it won't.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jabor posted:

No, that's not how it works. Forest is not a creature subtype even though Dryad Arbor exists.
That is a good example. I've never played arbor in all my years of magic so I forgot the type line does have the forest subtype in the same sense.

Splitting the subtypes like that without denoting it in any way seems pretty loose, but like I said, adventure is a bit soft too. I guess they'll probably be like, food golems or something.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

axeil posted:

Honestly I don't know why they didn't just say they're gonna add one set at a time going backwards and make this a new format in paper too since Modern is now enormous and has something like over half the cards ever printed as legal.
Modern is their current halo product that makes standard look like a reasonable value proposition so unless the new $25 packs kill the sales of $7 packs the format that supports $7 packs is going to last quite a while.

And historic is innately a clusterfuck. Rotations and cards becoming useless piss people off. Which happens as formats grow regardless of the rotation, but the rotation brings it into focus. Players accidentally buying rotated cards pisses people off. Players buying 20 WC decks that allow them to grind forever on the historic ladder pisses the devs off. Adding new cards using the same methodology is way too hard on most f2pers. You can acquire most/all of the current releases as f2p, right now, but a second set of sets would break that in half.

I think they're back to the drawing board on it but reddit isn't going to be pleased with whatever they come up with. People still bitch about the mastery pass which was actually a huge boon to f2pers!

Well and apparently the cat lags the poo poo out of people with computers that must be like, I have no idea how old.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Maro apparently confirmed there are no rare duals in throne. Apparently a cycle of rare lands, and no word on other uncommon goofy trilands like the tournament land.

ChrisBTY posted:

Since if there was better equipment in the set why isn't any of it in the deck?
Rares they expect to move packs?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There's an uncommon triland already spoiled though I guess they could do that? Kinda think he means a cycle of legendary rare lands, it's been a little while on that. I think? Or maybe just ISD style.

I'm gonna be making angry posts about not reprinting filters for years to come. Grand.

axeil posted:

Has there ever been a set without rare dual lands? That's a bold thing to do.
You mean a big fall set, I assume?

Mirage has uncommon fetch lands, no duals.
Tempest does have rare duals though most people won't remember them
Urza's saga has a cycle of rare single color lands.
Masques is a dumpster fire.
Invasion doesn't, in spite of being a multicolor set. R&D back then had weird issues.
Odyssey does, filters.
Mirrodin doesn't.
Champs doesn't.
OG Rav does.
Time Spiral has uncommon ones (a lot of sets have meh uncommon cycles)
Lorwyn has a tribal cycle
Shards doesn't.

I think every set does since then. Has been a while without though, yeah.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It also hurts immensely that you can nail the A+ aggro draw, except you didn't, because you have three tap lands. So you have a commander that needs ramp with like 2 ramp cards and an aggro creature base with lands that clunk it up. Oh and they cut two knights for shivan dragon and mask of immolation, so there's even less knights in the deck.

I don't think we'll see much Gwyn unless they replace the 5 planeswalker deck slots in the mastery pass with the 4 brawl precon commanders and the 2 PWer deck walkers, except that would make sense so that's not gonna happen.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah one thing people should consider when thinking about upcoming Brawl is how narrow the card pool becomes with a mono or dual color commander. Four sets are rotating out and take a lot of pieces with them.

vegetables posted:

Isn’t Syr Gwyn a woman?
The art depicton is feminine and Gwyn is a female name, yes.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah seriously take any mono colored walker, set it to singleton and then turn off the four sets rotating out. Obviously there's going to be some new stuff but card quality drops like a rock. Mono green probably needs to wrangle some kronches.

Also the stupid leyline + any 2 drop ramp.

If the format has free mulligans gonna be kinda lol for that actually.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

fadam posted:

The coolest Gwyn of all time is a dude.
Wouldn't that be hottest? I wonder if that's the reference, it's a bit on the nose.

Also apparently it is a common male name I've never encountered before. Apologies to all the Gwyns out there.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kater posted:

The first pw revealed for Eldrane is already exactly this!

The food turns into elves though which says something awful about elves I feel.
Better scans read Elk. Rowdy young bucks, I assume.

Also all three walkers from the set proper are really cool designs, even without dipping back into the passive space, gonna be fun to play around with them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Apparently it's a relatively common real life name of both genders so there's not really any argument going on

fadam is just talking about Dark Souls I think?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Gwen and Gwyn are the same name
Yeah that was my misreading, I thought it was just an alternate spelling

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I wish I wasn't broke since adding "Mono U player" to that avatar would be fantastic

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

What's broken in gatherer? It seems to work fine for me but I've been using it so long it's just a bad habit.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ChrisBTY posted:

Some commanders will be fine, like any commander that can just play whatever and get value out of it (Chulainne, Alela, to a lesser extent Yarok), others are just gonna be SoL until the card pool refills.
Kaalia needs creatures of the chosen type and on curve to be worthwhile, but it feels like Omnath, Korvald, Rienne and Kykar are all fine in the smaller pool with Kethis maybe being good if this set does have lots of legends and the rare land cycle is legendary. Turn 4 Garruk, Ugin or Liliana on the play is pretty exciting. Bolas is probably fine though the mana is pretty wonky. I'm not really sure what to make of most of the mono or dual legends. Little Domri looks good, Gorgon queen is interesting, though Izoni is maybe the best Golgari commander? Anyway point being when you dig through the legends the potential pool to build around them doesn't seem quite that bad. I'm really excited to try out brawl in october, it looks like the perfect casual queue.

Teysa and the twins both might make it. I'm less high on Teferi than a lot of people since the removal suite for a UW control deck feels under-represented.

Gwyn feels intended for casual edh more than anything. Maybe there's a ton of knights and equipment. I doubt it. The previewed circle card looks dope for her but that's about it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Next draft format is Ravnica Allegiance next weekend.
Throne draft looks to start on October the 11th.
Standard 2020 with the xp bonus arrives tomorrow. Anyone have any thoughts on what they're going to play?

For anyone who glossed over it like me, the Renewal bonus is stuff added to your Throne of Eldraine Mastery Pass on the free track. So if you know anyone casually playing or looking to play, you might wanna push them to make an account the day before and get the bonus stuff on the 26th or login both days to get the bonuses. It's 10 rare ICRs and the path adds 6 additional packs plus some uncommons so that's sort of nice.

Personally I just read "more stuff on the mastery pass" and assumed it was on the pay path.

Also I look forward to them not fixing ICRs to duplicate protection and piles of screaming on reddit from people who get two bad rares from throne and 160 gems. Good ol' reddit.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You definitely need shock.

I also like 1-3 Gideons, as the lifegain can put you back in games you've otherwise lost, but I'm not sure where to take them from given you're already looking to make cuts.

kater posted:

Is that something they are actually doing? Putting ICR on dupe protect?
From constructed events and daily ICRs no, but supposedly the 3 mythics code had protection and they just didn't use it for the mastery pass.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

Do something else in most cases is to play RDW. RIP come rotation.
Don't worry monoblack is shaping up to be ultra faceroll.

Like not Mono U-ltra faceroll but pretty close. Pity we're probably going into Eej's personal midrange hell though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TipTow posted:

dual lands are in Eldraine
Maro confirmed there's a rare cycle (of unknown nature) but not rare duals in Throne

https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/187537288278/does-the-monocolor-theme-of-eldraine-adamant#notes

My expectation is rare legendary lands, this set feels a little CoK if you know what I mean

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't have editing software but here's a crude mock up of the rotationsss

I look forward to Ikea, monster assembly the most of the upcoming sets

ps gently caress zendikar

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pets are paid cosmetics which they're never allowing anyone to turn off. All paid cosmetics will reign over a world of eternal sorrow.

The stupid flickering dumbshittery is some bug they introduced in last week's patch and yeah I'd really like that gone. On the plus side they did introduce a hand/gy/library counter so that's cool.

IMJack posted:

They already "fixed" Banding with aura-creatures in Journey into Nyx. Attach creature B to creature A, and creature A's P/T increases by creature B's. The only complicated part of Banding was the damage assignment, and that would be relatively straightforward to rework.
Fixed banding was in Tempest Block, it's the en-Kor ability to redirect damage.

It turns out to be rather broken in edge cases so given it's a white ability it is only allowed to return in loopy sets like Time Spiral.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

What's mono black starting to look like? Knight of the Ebon Legion, Order of Midnight + other stuff?
I mean I think it ends up as tier 2 but yeah, curve topper is the zombie dinosaur and you just run like current white weenie except with better removal and different lines of card advantage.

Being tier 2 since I don't think you can really get around people maindecking cry and blowing your turn 1-2 out. I guess there's Drill Bit and Duress, though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

qbert posted:

I'm referring to a Protection from Green creature blocking Questing Beast.
You're correct, preventing damage prevention gets around protection. That was the old strategy for red dealing with protection stuff back in Odyssey (and I think pauper)

Waffleopolis posted:

Very strong sideboard for tribal decks.
This card is completely maindeckable? Not a 4 of, but it still works as removal pretty ok.

You're going to be able to hit 2 humans or 2 vampires or 2 knights or more often enough to justify.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Magic Underwear posted:

I didn't realize the murder+ guy is also a knight. God drat BW knights is gonna be spicy
Imagine if he didn't have the bottom clause and you were recurring him with Order of Midnight on top of drawing cards off Midnight Rider

Heck there's already enough mono black knights to build a decent deck. Icon searching up planeswalker removal is rather good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Why are you without Sarkhan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Click this before the proper name comes out http://mythicspoiler.com/ted/cards/bearsuplex.html

note I have no idea how you can call that art anything else

I look forward to the bear counterattack, which is some sort of piledriver (which according to wikipedia was invented by bears)