Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Huxley posted:

There are 40-some themes and you're going to see 6 each run so it seems like if you're just whaling for the land, it shouldn't be TOO bad.
Did they specifically state it rolls theme then pack? There's 46 themes but 121 packs. If you're looking for a common land, you're probably good, but if it rolls pack and you want phyrexia or unicorn it's going to require some luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

Have we heard if any of the standard-legal jumpstart cards will count as part of the set they came from? I.e. if I find a fifth Brash Taunter (or whatever I don't know what's in Jumpstart) will it just be in my collection, or will I get dupe protection?
In real life the M21 cards from JST are printed with the M21 set symbol, so the assumption is they're just part of the M21 set on arena.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Also for those interested in being spoiled on decklists, and the general breakdown of the set, https://mtg.gamepedia.com/Jumpstart has a good amount of information. Has the replacement list further down as well.

Bear in mind some themes have a higher rate of getting 2 rares. All the walker themes have with 2 rares I believe. Even if you don't want to be spoiled you might consider looking up which ones are mythic or rare.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Bugsy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-lmGhH-6hE

20 seconds in it shows the showcase land for the Basri deck.
Good catch

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Sean posted:

I don't really understand what Jumpstart is even but it's coming out tomorrow. Will my quests get wiped by tomorrow and I should complete them now (like when a new set comes out)?
No. It's just a limited event, basically. (If that does happen they've said absolutely nothing to that at all)

Ugin has nothing on Oko.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

sephiRoth IRA posted:

I have enough gems for one more run. I just want that awesome witchcraft land!!!
You have a month. You'll get there.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

A question which struck me last night: if Verazol is your brawl commander, does it get a +1/+1 token for each mana spent on the commander tax?
It should, yes. There's another hydra built to the same set up from a commander product a couple years ago and it intentionally works that way.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chamale posted:

It's staggering. FIRE and Play Design have completely failed to prevent broken cards from being printed.
They never fixed any of the problems that caused R&D to punt during the accelerated rotation. They're not good at adjusting to philosophy changes and I don't know their staff numbers, but the number of products they put out this year are bonkers when you compared with years like 2007. They're putting out like three times as much stuff, and while I doubt Secret Lairs or Double Masters eat much time, that's still energy expended.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm feeling MDFC Party creatures in the D&D set. Githyanki Gish, 3/1 Black Warrior on one side, 1/3 Blue Wizard on the other.
That sounds like a rather good idea I hope they go with. Maybe Kaldheim will have snow / thaw sided cards or something.

Realizing all these sets are going to have extra rares and mythics as zend rising does is kinda sneaky though.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rumor was they don't think they'll look any good on mobile or something so they moved to lower effort animations

and/or everything else. I like the Drana one, though.

Captain Invictus posted:

also we all know the animations in the game are pretty loving dire at times, but I haven't seen anything quite as trash garbage as Moraug's animation, where it's literally just his head and horns from the card cut out and wiggled a bit to signify ~he's here~
Have you not seen Brazen Borrower? Like yeah, Moraug is "We don't care anymore here's a head" but dancing jiggle beast wars fairy is just so bad for the effort put in.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Billy Gnosis posted:

I was going to say I thought most of the pause is backend and mtga servers are just making GBS threads the bed lately
No, it's a bug in unranked queues. It's doing the rank animation, but it's hiding the object so you can't interact.

If you played ranked then play unranked again, it'll sometimes bug out so you can see the rank animation again (while you're playing unranked, to be clear), then you're allowed to click through at the normal pace. Then there's the server contact message.

I've never had it happen in ranked queues but if it happens there then maybe there's multiple bugs. They broke the game in a pretty great way back in the Zendikar patch and can't seem to find a fix.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

flatluigi posted:

they absolutely shouldn't remove regular brawl and there's no reason to do so
Yeah, it's fun having both venues to play with new cards. Actually getting to try out the wacky stuff in sets or seeing them across the table is great.

Though they really should ban out cards banned in given formats and axe commanders more often. Historic Brawl should just be rid of the stupid 5 color commanders and whatever other repetitive elements stuck around. Like Kinnan.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Klowner posted:

Supposedly it's good in Zendikar Rising though???? That's what the lord's of limited podcast claims anyway but I don't believe it
It interconnects with other themes so it ends up playing a little better. Also lands actually trigger and do stuff in this set so just nabbing 2 lands can end up turning stuff off that wouldn't otherwise matter.

I haven't listened to LoL in a while but that has been my experience.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Definitely Doom Foretold

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mythic on the 3rd is impressive stuff.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Big props, Fadam, for running that contest.

I'm not entering since I kinda fall asleep thinking about this set for constructed. I'm excited to play and open it but "is this into rogues, gruul, temur or rakdos?" and ... I just... kinda need a coffee... But it's cool you're getting it started, could be really interesting to look at predictions over the long term.

Mat Cauthon posted:

My only desired feature at this point is a default land setting. I'm not a computer toucher by trade so I have no idea how hard that would be to implement but it's easily a quality of life feature that would be immensely more useful than chat functionality or the mobile client or whatever.
It literally already has it; you have a favorite land "set" by your last purchase. So they just need to, you know, allow you to set it.

Arena's coding trajectory out of the beta isn't mtgo level embarrassing (losing features every year is hard to top, though) but it's still kind of amazing it prints money and they don't seem to want to hire anyone new or really keep the program improving.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Sector Corrector posted:

Why do people netdeck?
Because building actual good decks is A) hard B) limited in opportunities so sometimes people just want to casually enjoy playing the game. Deck building is only one of three parts of what makes magic addictive to people and for some it's the smallest part.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

also, the store says daily card designs are x% off, but is there even a way to buy the card styles at normal price or is it entirely, 100% bullshit designed to sucker people? Because I would probably buy the godzilla card styles if there's even an option for it at full price, I want my proper shin godzilla yidaro.
If you turn on cosmetics mode in the deck builder or in collection you can buy stuff, yeah.

Not sure you can pick up the godzilla ones and I can't check. They don't unlock them immediately, but I think they eventually do unlock most or all.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think that's a timed thing. Like, Eldraine storybook unlocked after a certain number of months or so?

That reminds me, there's no cosmetic rewards for event entry for Kaldheim and we'd know by now, right? Kaldheim has probably my favorite styles so far.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No, the duress he's referring to is in game. Though it is the one guessed. You're just not allowed to buy it.

I'd probably go with sad boat guy duress if I ever played it. Maybe rakdos will be good this season and it's all aboard~

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

And then people spend 40 wildcards while feeling smart and wotc nods knowing they pulled it off.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fish Of Doom posted:

All I want in historic is Path To Exile. It would make a huge difference not just for powering up white decks, but also powering down Uro and other recursive graveyard garbage. But Maro has said that he personally hates that card and that it was a mistake, so I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.
It's doubtful Maro has much influence on arena's choices for historical anthologies. Maro hates Hornet Queen and that got in, I believe? But you'd imagine it ties to whatever they're designing historic to be, whatever current goal they have in mind, which is pretty much gibberish to me.

Time posted:

path hasn’t really done poo poo to curb Uro usage in the formats they are both legal
Yeah it seems pretty terrible there, when do you even use it? As a three for one or a four for one? Awesome.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

vegetables posted:

Hornet Queen making it into Arena is the worst so I wish someone who thought that did have more say in things
Does it do anything?

I have to admit I really do not understand giving it a slot but, again, historic is all gibberish to me.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Time posted:

Historic is the best constructed format magic has at the moment. It’s good and more fun than pioneer ever was
Didn't they just, like, ban a bunch of stuff from Pioneer and then abruptly stop, leaving it to die as a two deck format as the pandemic was rolling in? It's hard to remember the Before Times.

I don't think anything negative of Historic but it's hard to draw conclusions as to what their goal is in the short-term when contemplating what an anthology will add. There is obviously some intent behind it, given they selectively removed and added cards to the three sets added over the fall/winter, but I can't really make out a sense of logic. It just seems like "I think they're neat!" was the criteria.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SalTheBard posted:

With Cosima, if you exile it to start building up counters on it, can you then cast another one and exile that one too? Or is it still subject to the Legends rule even though the first one is in exile?
Legend rule is battlefield only. So you can send all four Cosimas on a grand voyage and then ship them all in and out in one great convoy of cards as long as only 1 is on the battlefield at a time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Klowner posted:

Oh, I forgot to mention Ravenform. Someone needs to explain to me why it's not good because it looks amazing. Izzet and Azorius especially don't give a flying gently caress about a 1/1 flier
Because removal that leaves them half a card means you spent a full card for half a card.

Sometimes, that'll be great. Sometimes the Red / X aggro deck will put Dwarven Hammer on it and you will hate everything.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

GrandpaPants posted:

Yeah that's pretty cool from a flavor perspective. What gives the Amonkhet and Theros gods their indestructibility? And then there are gods like Ilharg and the bug gods from Amonkhet that just come back.
They're empowered by worship and become dormant when not worshiped, but "ideas don't die" or whatever.

The bug gods are corrupted Gods from amonkhet's past who are resurrected through Bolas manipulating the connection to Amonkhet's spooky weird world soul. Which I think Nissa said isn't dead, or maybe it's a zombie. Zombie world soul. Cool? I think this will come up when we go back to Amonkhet, which I assume is after we've been back to ravnica and zendikar another six times.

The Eternal Gods are supposed to be special through how they were resurrected or... Something? I don't remember the lore. Big pig god is big pig, get on board or get boar'd, I got nothing.

Also the Kaldheim gods have morrowind style god-powers by drinking god-juice pressed from the world tree. It may or may not be implied through binding the old god / roots of wisdom's flavor text that this god-juice is extracted from the Einir, the old Elvish gods, who are now stuck in trees. Tyrite shafts may or may not be involved, but tyrite seems to be something to do with "cosmos monsters" from the one flavor text.

I wonder what we're gonna do when we finally get to the Rome plane. Maybe the vampires ate them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Klowner posted:

According to this, Tyrite is the sap from the World Tree, which the World Tree goddess Esika harvests and transforms using a secret process to form Cosmos Elixir. Not only does this Elixir give them long life, it is also the source of their magical power.
Man, they really went all out on the lore of this one. Gives me the hope we'll be going back. Plane is sweet, here's hoping limited is sweet.

They mention there that Cosmos monsters, like Koma, were born of the tree and live between the realms.

I really do hope they use Kaldheim for the next run of shocks. Changeling breed pool, steam vent with giants, temple garden to Esika, etc

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Uro doesn't feel long for this world. Probably see him axed at the anthology, since he'll start to get in the way of selling more historic cards.

Ithle01 posted:

This is almost literally Norse mythology, WotC was just smart enough to copy something that was already good.
Yeah, it's just adapted in a way that fits the lore together with the color and tribes in a slick way. I really like how it goes, say, GW warriors/humans realm, into WR dwarf warrior/berserker realm into RB berserker/demon while all ten fit their colors as well and so forth.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jan 26, 2021

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lone Goat posted:

Yeah when they said that this set only has 86 creatures below rare -when every other set in standard right now has around 100- I was VERY concerned. Feels like you gotta find your lane quick and not gently caress around or you're going to be short playables.
I felt a sense of relief when I heard them say that, simming it I kept hitting 10-12 creatures and wondering what I was doing wrong.

It's not drafting creatures higher, which is funny, since tricks were actually looking better in this set with foretell.

Gonna blow people out on thursday with 17 creature r/w bragging idiots.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'd wager flat is right and h-brawl is getting a queue somewhere in the quiet times. But I don't know what number they were looking for in their tests.

Lone Goat posted:

Was Rhys ever in (non historic) Brawl? It's more dumb that a standard centric format has a random card from like 11 years ago in it.
Yes, when the queue was paywalled they added a legend per month you got for buying in.

And none of them were good or fun choices, but it's brawl, the format that died twice.

Lone Goat posted:

If snow lands are missing then that means you're going to be fighting for the deck, and we don't know how to many snow drafters a pod can support yet.
LoL confirmed the obvious, which you'd see from simming: It's two.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 27, 2021

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I feel bad I don't think anyone posted a reminder to clear all your dailies out

Watch this be the one where they don't reset dailies

Squinky v2.0 posted:

Tyvar, Harald, canopy tactician, both BG sagas - theres lots to work with, not super heavy on rares either
Bear in mind you get x4 Canopy Tactician from the paid pass (though I don't know how early, watch them be at level 50 or something), if that's on your list of things to do

Beyond x1 for Brawl most of those free rares don't look exciting except Tactician though.

Which reminds me I need to set aside a few uncommon WCs for the theme cards, not many of them look to see play but eh maybe?

https://scryfall.com/search?order=set&q=set%3Akhm+is%3Athemepack&unique=prints

The list of non-booster cards for those forgetting about them. Ambush is probably a decent elf card and rampage/reaper might prove useful somewhere.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I managed to finish my entire ZDR mastery pass just now with this last daily. Kaldheim snuck up on me! :eyepop:
Pretty much the ideal use of the pass. I finished at 169 and received zero rare/mythic upgrades on the roll over levels.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

kater posted:

speaking of harnfel HOLY CRAP IT IS AMAZING.
wanna combo harnfel with vega

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Zero VGS posted:

On the other hand it did the one thing I needed it to do, which was to allow me to buy the $5 First Timer pack using my Google Play Funbux that I got from the official Google Survey app.
Hell yes thank you for confirming this is gonna be worth sitting through it loving around installing. I have funbux and have bought the paid version of every app I use so it just rolls over and expires.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shrecknet posted:

Just an FYI that instead of "Where mana flows, Gnarlids follow", the mastery pass includes playsets of the various Kaldheim Commander exclusive rares, so if you were upset about having to craft them, well, now you don't have to (if you have the mastery pass)
We've been talking about this on and off the last couple pages and I posed the thought "but maybe they'll be really stupid and put the elf at level 50"

Lo and behold, Canopy Tactician is at level 65. Its awesome they put them in, but it's so baffling to do people dirty like that.

Also they're not commander rares. They show up in theme boosters, they're standard legal. I wish we got the commander rares.

Is this card good? I don't know, but I wish we'd got to try.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 29, 2021

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Syrinxx posted:

In other news, is there no FNM this week? I need my sweet rear end jaypegs
In theory you can contact your store for a code but there's no two free rares / 20 gems 89% of the time event no

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

resistentialism posted:

Cyclone summoner followed by moritte the cyclone summoner sure is a thing.
sounds like a giant thing, not just a thing

love to give that a whirl in draft if I ever get the combo

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Realmwalker is probably better glue for most tribal decks than you could just about ever ask for.

It makes your deck into a bag of puppies you just hurl onto the battlefield

Captain Invictus posted:

There's the minecart that spawns cat tokens
Can confirm that A) this card is fantastic in limited to no surprise and B) good lord those are fluffy cute cat tokens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Drewjitsu posted:

Provoke hits any target? Goddammit, are you're gonna tell me that basalt ravager can hit any target too!?
Worth pointing out Ravager also, unlike a lot of other cards, counts simple number of types. You'll usually work his types, but you don't have to.

So if you go berserker, berserker, ravager pings for two.

And if we're on the topic, the new tribal raise dead is an instant and oh saints is "opponent kills my guy on their turn, SURPRISE, it's back in hand before I untap with a friend" almost the best thing in limited in this format.

The best thing is Tergrid stealing rare sagas.

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 30, 2021