Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ChrisBTY posted:

This is not the killer equipment Syr Gwyn brawl was looking for.
Yeah but whenever you cast it you can do some fancy gestures and shout out "I dub theeeeeeee, Syr GWYNMORE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Magic Underwear posted:

I don’t know about cast down but the knight replaces Vraska and disfigure is probably just straight up better than craving.
Nothing really replaces Cast Down but yeah, Disfigure, Sorin's Thirst, Legion's End, Bedeck, Murder, Witch's Vengeance and Swift End give you a pretty solid package to choose from.

Oh, and maybe Price of Fame is good if there's a lot of good legends.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It does actually make them money.

The lovely coding of the event is nothing but bad.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

For those who missed it (I think someone linked it before?) there's a parallel card gallery of the alt-arts here: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/throne-eldraine-variants

I don't know if we're getting any of them but that Murderous Rider art is very much my jam so I hope so.

Also Oakhame Ranger adventures Bring Back while Brought Back is legal in Standard. Nice.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhaegar posted:

Can I bank my xp for next season? :D
I'm sure you know the answer

Also: You can't bank orbs, and they implied they're going to give more orbs than you need next set mastery.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ruckby posted:

Do orbs provide anything other than annoying card styles that I have to turn off every time I make a new deck?
Nope.

On the other hand if they give alt-arts from this set they'd be amazing.

(they're not going to)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej posted:

You can always just play ELD without a pass and if you're enjoying yourself enough to hit 15 wins a week and doing events grab the pass before next set.
You could always have fun playing Magic every day????? Are you some kind of FUN WIZARD???

Wait never mind jamming my delicates into a skinner box over and over.

zoux posted:

Good bye Rekindling Phoenix hello this (mono R sideboard)
gonna be sick in my kaalia elder highlander dragon brawl deck

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gaining 3 Life is relevant in a lot of match ups. It's not nothing which makes the mechanic a bit smarter to balance than energy.

Also the combo of that cat and Witch's Oven is really loving weird flavor.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Also bear in mind they said the brawl queue will arrive "sometime in october"

axeil posted:

About the only thing I really hope they would do is to implement a clock for best-of-1 games just so that spite roping stopped. It's about the only thing I get legit annoyed over.
gently caress that give me a shadowban system where if someone ropes three turns in a row it pops up a dialogue at the end of the game "Never play this loving idiot in casual queues again?" and watch ropers eventually flock to reddit to cry "Game queue super slow since last update??? wtf wotc fix ur game"

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

Allowing people to manually block other users from matching is opening a Pandora's Box.
As I implied, it would only trigger if the game detects the opponent roping, which is kind of the important part of the statement

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Apparently the devs view the generous mulligan timer as a feature because some individuals have slow computers/connections.

It actually double covers for them, there's a hidden phase of the timer where you can't cancel out because you're already loading the new game THEN there's a splash screen.

Personally I don't think a f2p game needs to cater to the 2% of players running the game on a core 2 duo in the middle of deserted farmlands but I guess that makes me an elitist.

edit:

dang

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 11, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

It's hard to live up to the new Bomat Courier

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

fadam posted:

Regardless of how superficial the similarities between them, never count any two fictional characters out as being related. People go nuts for it.
Whenever you think about storyline stuff in wotc, contemplate if you'd see it in a 2002 big 2 comic book, because that's what their team likes.

MikeCrotch posted:

Speaking of if anyone has not yet purchased a Kaya av for 3000 gold, you need to re-evaluate your life
True, but I only pledge allegiance to the hotness (of Sarkhan)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Ruling question brought up in spoilers: If Oko makes a casket or Deputy of Detention into an Elk, does the "til" ability still persist?

Huxley posted:

I absolutely hate that they are doing the premium cards the way they are instead of doing alpha frames, white borders, and art reprints from the 90s.
Honestly they're probably holding that stuff back, if the game is currently making "Hasbro Happy" money dropping cosmetics that good is just winmore

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Because people want to see the emergence of a new modern to supplant the "Budget decks are only $890" format that Modern has become. Oh I guess burn is only 696. So more than I paid for my S10 to play burn.

The adding random cards thing confirms it as a joke and also further increases the high price of entry for anyone who joins the format later on, as wizards has long loved rarity bumping old powerful cards.

Personally I'll finish my cycle of checklands and maybe play it next year, I feel like Brawl in October will carry me with Throne for the rest of the year.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Shock the Goose would be common if Goose sees lots of play, which it currently doesn't look like it will.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

zoux posted:

I think it would be good in the sideboard for esper control against whatever rakdos/gruul creature tempo builds develop

e: non creature :doh: I read it as creature. SO OBVIOOUSY TERRIBLE FOR ESPER CONTROL
I was about to ask how high you were.

It's more like phoenix be gone.

Bust Rodd posted:

Dude I’m not white and mulatto has been recognized as a slur since like 2010, what the gently caress are you talking about
How does it feel to be accused as white

by someone dropping racial slurs even?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Core 2019 and Core 2020 are completely discrete entities just to be clear

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Huxley posted:

Some mod, feel free.
What's the specific title you want? "Adventures with your Teferi Godmother" or something? I bet PMing Beet Wagon would work, dude is pretty chill and I think he's a games mod now that SCAM is being removed.

Doesn't seem as good as the other two three black three drops, but it's legit in a knights deck I guess

Spiderdrake fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 12, 2019

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lagomorphic posted:

They have said you'll be able to get the old cards they add by playing events which is nice for people already playing. It's gonna be hell to get into for new players coming in though since they will have missed these events or just won't have cards to be competitive in them if they started recently.
That's actually the idea. They want established players going into historic but no new players going into it first.

They don't want someone going "What deck should I start with?" and having a mostly commons and uncommons red historic deck being recommended to them.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Lagomorphic posted:

On the other hand people do play $1000 modern decks though so Wizards is not necessarily wrong here.
Let's look at Jund, apparently the #2 deck in modern by mtggoldfish's mysterious metrics

$1830 USD

Nice! Also the most expensive card was printed this year in a $7 a pack set.

Halo product wooooo

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

You should really stop and consider what Historic Brawl would look like before pining for it.

Also no one should buying "sets" of anything for Historic of either potential permutation. The number of playable cards lowers immensely very quickly. Modern is incredibly deep to support such a depth of archetypes and most of them require older cards to exist. The rate of playables even when modern first launched was a narrow sliver of the format.

flatluigi posted:

glad to see you still have that weird vendetta against me, No Wave
what's with the blood feuds in this thread

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

axeil posted:

The bigger thing I'm debating about is if I should craft the Ixalan/Dominaria lands before they become 2:1.
This and maybe 2 mythic Teferi are the only things I'm going to finish.

Other stuff just feels rather uncertain. Like I'm not going to want to play historic til it feels different from the six months of Standard before now, so who know what will actually be useful?

Also checklands tend to come back so then I'll have those when they're back, which will be cool.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

There are NPE decks paired with Core 2020 that established players get on the 26th

There aren't Eldraine NPE decks to my knowledge

There is a bonus of 10 rares and some additional packs in the free track of the mastery pass for logging in on the 26th (or something, it's kinda vague)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

During the NPE I got definitely added on new copies of cards. I remember reading it added vault progress, back then.

The big question with these is whether or not 5th copies give gems or vault progress. I feel like they spent time coding it so it doesn't do the former but perhaps the latter?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

axeil posted:

:laffo: the arena subreddit is still complaining. Unbelievable. They are not gonna make a format that kneecaps Standard. No weekly win credit is a much more acceptable alternative than the original proposal.
These people still complain about the mastery pass.

These people don't understand why wotc is worried about historic in the least. And they don't care.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

No Wave posted:

They don't care about maximizing profits for wotc? guess they're not true fans.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Expansion/Explosion is the card you're looking for, or any finale except the red one which is pretty funny.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Huh I guess you've already cast the Feat before Expansioning it, and then still have one more to cast after?

I'll probably do this in Niv brawl or something really stupid.

Eej posted:

If Historic takes off it will actually kneecap wotc's profits lol
Can't wait for 400 gem boosters of curated masters sets

400 because 350 isn't a round number and a focus group fround it's "more fun" to pay in round numbers

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm pretty sure it works, Expansion is cast then makes a copy, but happens after Feat is cast but before it revolves the "one more spell" limit. You can't for example use abilities that say "Your opponent can't cast spells" to counter a spell on the stack.

I still don't know how Oko's ability works with Glass Casket/Deputy of Detention, though. I think it doesn't benefit, but I'm not too clear.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cool it's that devoid card only not sucking rear end this time. Well not a full rear end.

Still lolling they put the extra words on there to make the card slightly worse. Oh no if you have seven targets in EDH and seven red mana you're still playing a suboptimal card!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TheMaestroso posted:

I seem to remember Kozilek's Return being a staple of at least one deck in the OGW/SOI/EDM Standard season. But that cost 2R and cast for free from your graveyard when you played a big spell.
Return? Return was a staple. You cast it off the octopus fiend.

I'm referring to Serpentine Strike, which you wouldn't remember, but it was memorable to me since there was exactly 1 unspoiled rare in BFZ and it was this:

I just remember it because I was like "Where's that drat last rare?" and it took three scrolls to actually find it since nothing said rare other than the icon.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej posted:

Black is gonna have problems when it has Legion's End, Witch's Vengeance, Epic Downfall, Reave Soul, Swift End and Blast Zone?
I'm not sure if he means mono black aggro or mono black control, one of which doesn't exist and the other can casually have 10+ power on the board on turn 3 so uhhhh yeah it's very confusing

I'm pretty sure the aggro deck fears being wrathed not punching through geese and dryads, assuming goose even sees play

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Eej posted:

Reprint Gary and you'll see the real power of standard mono black.
I still kinda wonder how mono black got through its standard season without a banning. It was like two-thirds of top eights for two seasons and people just didn't complain that much?

Then again people have some weird rear end fondness for that archetype, going back to the torment deck, even though the torment deck was atrocious poo poo boring gameplay to the pro max.

Now Wake, Wake was a real deck.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Jabor posted:

no deck is rotation-proof, the new cards change the meta which makes your deck worse even if it doesn't technically lose any cards
Completely this. It's really frustrating since people introduce the rotation to new players with the whole "Rotation proof" horseshit. And no one ever remembers the lesson of Black/Green zombies I swear!

I mean not that anyone should since it was a non-deck, but eh, that's the point.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Well it's a may, so you can haggle for nothing and nothing happens, which owns.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

xanthan posted:

So uh, didn't get a screenshot since my opponent conceded on the spot but I do have confirmation Ulamog The Ceaseless Hunger is in Arena. Awesome.
Yeah that was confirmed a while ago, right after the historic stuff there was a leak of a bunch of be in the game's code. Lot of wacky creatures people thought were pending for historic.

From what I've heard they can import anything in MTGO pretty easily.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

zoux posted:

All the comments are people talking about how MTGO is so much better than Arena so I guess that solves the r/magicarena question
Well, sunk cost is a thing. Just look at the Star Citizen thread, you can watch spending a thousand dollars turn a Crysis hack into a Jesus experience.

MTGO is in massive decline, set values crater the minute you can't redeem cards.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

At 95 you can just casually roll through to the end. There's another 8k xp or so remaining.

I think after the weekly change the mastery pass was fine, though it is kinda weird the last few levels are a pair of mythics, some orbs and several cosmetics you would only use in limited. Level 88 or w/e being Herald of the Sun just screams "we seriously didn't think that hard about this"

I literally got the Benthic rear end mythic this week and was like hm fitting

zoux posted:

But it has chat and a friends list.
Yeah, you've never lived until you've been told to die via wood chipper for having a removal spell you held back in hand til they played their bomb. It's true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Magic players don't really understand why cards are expensive and are angry at other Magic players because they think it is their fault. That's why they wish ill on them.

Anyone with a collection on mtgo already got hosed. Teferi, Hero of Dominaria's value looks like a sick rear end waterslide

Wheeeeeeeee right into the shitter