Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Hi thread it's been about 8 years since I tried to play or cared about standard in any way beyond watching it in worlds. My MTG content has basically been watching MTGO cube, drafts and legacy/vintage on Twitch.

However this lockdown plus Ikora looking really fun outside of cards for older formats I can't afford to play (looking forward to Ikora updated cubes) I've decided to take the plunge with Arena and jump back into standard. I've done my colour challenges and have been using the Workshop event to grind up some familiarity with the interface.

I was looking at dumping 100 dollary doos on gems to crack 90 Ikora packs and get my ball rolling for standard in terms of cards to play plus wild cards. Obviously this is a time where shocklands and temples are back in rotation, and fabled passage is a thing. Short of spending all those gems on draft and winning most of them for maximum value (I'm not confident I could do an above 50% win rate ATM or whatever Ryan Spains number crunching had it at now days), would it be better to say buy half Eldraine, half Ikora or something like that ?

Edit: oh old chum Lone Goat from Eternal is here, hi goat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lone Goat posted:

ah I knew I recognized your name! yeah I hated Sites and didn't like how the limited formats felt really samey so I dropped out of Eternal.

I stopped playing after the first sealed League. It started to get a bit rough and ready, and frankly it didn't feel Magicy enough.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Sinteres posted:

Honestly I'd probably just pick the set between those two that sounds most interesting to you, or that has the most cards in a deck that looks interesting to you. In the long run drafting will pretty much always have better value (especially at the gem prices) even if you have a low win rate, but jump starting with some packs to get wild cards so you can at least build a deck and go from there makes sense to me.

JakeP posted:

Not sure what you should do with your packs, but if you are looking for a budget standard deck to play, that Red/White cycling deck from a page ago should be easy for you to put together:

Snip

Its mostly Ikoria cards, so if you go that route, just buy the 90 packs of Ikoria imho

Thanks peeps. I did actually pull a Lurris from one of my packs while doing the challenges so lucky on that front.

I'm an old evil paper grinder from the yesteryears when net decking was considered heresy soooo I was going to wait till early next week when the season ticks over and a few CFB pros have dropped videos to see what they're playing and what Goldfish has doing well in the metagame. Really inlove with the absurdity of the Gyruda deck LSV did a video of recently, and also Aristocrats style decks. I note Lurris Rakkdos is taking a large chunk of top results in the last few days too.

My biggest issue with packs ATM is that with shocklands in ravnica sets and temples in Theros is that buying up 90 Ikora will be good for say lasting to the next standard rotation, but right now I will be spending wildcards on 3-4 copies of most duals. I guess the upside is eventually pioneer will come to arena right?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Glad I decided to wait a week before P coming something to start. Sounds like Gyruda maybe heading the way of the ban list. I know MTGA gives a widcards to everyone with them in their set to balance out the band but there really isn't enough overlap with other decks for me to justify gambling right away.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Owlbear Camus posted:

welp every time I post my draft pile to this thread and then do what it (and lone goat in particular) say I go 6-X so I guess I'm crowdsourcing from now on.

My previous experience with Goat consulting on limited picks in card games was very good. I'd always listen to him.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Temur Reclamation seems to be placing highly.

At this point I'm still on my wait a week plan but I'm reasonably sure the plan is buy the Ikora and craft everything else. Ikora will be the set that's around the longest anyway.

Deck wise Rakdos Lurrus looks solid and straight forward. Wouldn't mind Gyruda either but I prefered the Sultai version while the Bant version is the one doing wellm and I'm too Spikey too not play the most efficient version.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Apr 24, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
With the free Guild decks I appear to be getting every day does it only do 5 or do I get one of each guild (thus giving me a free copy of each shock)?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I'm at that point where I'm encountering decks people have actually put together with real cards and not just VS the other precons. Zzzzz free life of minimal :effort: over

I had someone playing a budget Gyruda combo against my pre-con Rakdos deck I'm using to get my cast X spells quest done

wizzardstaff posted:

You get one a day and then you get a final quest to give you the remaining five.

You may experience a bug where the countdown to the next quest hangs at 00:00, give it a day to reset.

Ah cool that means tomorrow is my last day. Nice nice nice. Well on track to jumping into a happy standard situation next week.

With regards to the gold-to-enter constructed queues: Are they worth it or is the smarter play just to grind away at Ranked and spend all my dosh on Drafts?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 25, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

wizzardstaff posted:

You get one a day and then you get a final quest to give you the remaining five.

You may experience a bug where the countdown to the next quest hangs at 00:00, give it a day to reset.

SO instead of something about the 5 missing shocks: Today it says one Mythic Wildcard instead?

Finished the quest and it's back to saying "Deck" tomrrow

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Apr 26, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ungulateman posted:

A friend of mine's draft. In case it wasn't clear, drafts aren't matchmade, because jesus christ.

The highlights being a 15th pick marmoset and an 11th pick pacifism in pack 2

Yeah I question why bothering about the blue splash in the pool at all except maybe a very very light splash to get you cast a Frostveil ambush to get the last attack through. Just use the rest as cycle fodder

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 26, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Eej posted:

Someone finally found the Mutate deck

https://twitter.com/0fe1ia/status/1253623347604316163

It owns! Even harder than the Cycling deck, shame about the WCs though.

Hey it's Patrick Dickman, inventor of TarnoTwin from like 7 years ago.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

salt shakeup posted:

This deck is pretty strong and really fun to play. Gets owned by the flash decks though.

Someone suggested that green creature that prevents creature spells from being countered. Sorry I'm not great with names of most new cards yet.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bust Rodd posted:

Gold is a cesspit for ladder because it is full of bad Bronze/Silver players jamming brews mingled with Silver/Bronze/Plat/Diamond players playing net decks trying to crawl out of them. As a result it doesn’t matter what deck you’re playing, there’s a higher likelihood, IMO, of hitting bad or weird matchups that you’re unprepared for several games in a row. It’s impossible to tech against everything, and bad strats that will never survive Plat/Diamond can play kingmaker in Gold.

I ran Standard Metgame Challenge 3 times as Jeskai Lurrus and went 0-1 (Fires), 1-1 (beat and lost to Rakdos), and then 0-1 again against Rakdos. The games all felt like if I’d just drawn Solar Flare at any point I would immediately win. It also feels like the deck just cannot beat a Narset and if they just blprotect their Narset then my deck is a pile of unplayable garbage and Lurrus.

Edit: For Lurrus Jeskai, I am finding Ominous Seas to be completely dead in 100% of matches. Any long game control deck where I want an 8/8 has Teferi and Borrower, and it’s too slow for everything else. I’m gonna swap it for the 5/4 raptor enchantment and see how it plays out, but after like 30-40 matches with this Jeskai list I think the closest I’ve gotten was 7 counters once before they landed a Teferi.

Reid Duke is in gold because he just jams brews on stream. Is pretty good. He's been going hard with a Timur Reclamation deck with Yorion. Win rare is about 60/40

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 26, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Don't talk trash about my boy sharknado

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Any goon opinions on Rakdos Sacrifice VS Orzhov Sacrifice VS Rakdos Lurrus for my first deck for standard? All 3 have enough similar cards it shouldn't be TOO bad to swap between them after a small period of time.

Alternatively I could maybe dive straight into a version of Reclamation but that will shut off the other 3 for a while.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Ledgem posted:

Am I allowed to consider myself good at limmited now? I always joked it was just luck but now I hit mythic casually doing drafts. I used to only do trad 'cause the payout was better but I found I was bleeding gems with the new mode rewards so I switched to premier and woops. Completely F2P player too, though my gem count dipped bellow 5k to get this far from 11k at the ikoria release.

My experience; tempo is king and the format is pretty aggressive. Weaponize Monsters is amazing as there are a lot of token generators and got me 7 win runs a lot. Blue/x tempo with just otters and like no other good creatures can go far if you have enough bounce/card draw. Reanimator failed me every time I tried it. Cycling decks are ridiculous. Often went down to 15 land decks if I had enough card draw/cycling in the deck.

Yeah you're good mate. So good, I'm jealous and want you do sit 2nd seat in drafts for me. Share your seeecrets.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

VictualSquid posted:

I think Orzhov lurrus is probably the easiest to play and the cheapest. The only essential rare cards are the priest and the castles. And I enjoy Orz-sac more then the other variants. But they are all good.

Rakdos lurrus actually has the least overlap with the alternatives. Because what makes it special are the Dreadhorde Butchers and Kroxas. Which are useless or situational in all other variants.

Obosh sac also won that tournament yesterday, and it is very fun too.

I have played aristocat now for a month as my second deck in standard and had fun the whole time. Probably trying reclamation or azorias next month.

I mean all the recent high win Rakdos Decks have been Jund so there is some overlap loss there.

The crazed alternative is invest in Jeskai Fires and just try to go deep.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 27, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

VictualSquid posted:

Fires feels like literally the worst for beginners of the whole meta lineup. It seems to be basically all mythics + the minimum to cast them.

Jund sac has been around a long time. Going Orzhov to Jund means exchanging all your (un)commons for (mythic)rares, except for the cat/ovens. So the switch can only be called a loss in the other direction.

Oh I don't mind how easy it is break into a deck unless it's something like Lurris Orzhov/Jund that has some level of overlap. I just care about what's a reasonable T1 deck with decent match ups. I'll grind out the rest.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Is Kroxa still gonna be a thing in them though or with Rec's ability to draw big making it less desirable?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

VictualSquid posted:

Obosh is pretty strong vs. Rec. I wouldn't be surprised if we get a deck that swaps our its priests for obosh and squads or the other way in the sideboard.

I'm getting the feeling Rec is going to be overall all-comers deck.

It's got a lot of answers to the low down Sac decks, and a decent number of answers to taking on Teferi's and Warbosses out of fires; but a lot of these are going to have to be won in games 2 and 3 once you know what your opponent is on.

Also say hello to a 5-0 tweaked version of the Cycling deck: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2966409#paper

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Is it wrong to not like the Nightpack Ambusher playing Rec Decks?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ungulateman posted:

You know what Chevill needed? 'Chevill has hexproof as long as it isn't attacking or blocking.'

It reflects his flavor as a hunter of giant monsters, it means he doesn't just die to a random lightning strike before doing anything, and it adds more interesting decision-making than 'my 4/4 has a bounty counter on it, time to never attack or block with it ever again'.

But they couldn't give creatures hexproof in this standard because they wanted to make good auras in Theros Beyond Death, and failed, so now everything has to die to removal or be Dream Trawler (and die to wrath).

That would just be frustrating to deal with.

Hexproof is an un-fun mechanic, even MaRo is on record saying that it's not something they like handing out easily.

Edit: Is it just me is is Chevill looking a bit Witchery with his red and black leather, and medallion? Witcher art alters when?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Apr 28, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Serious question.

The Monster Style cards you get when buying bulk Ikora packs, are they just styles or do you get a card as well?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Bugsy posted:

You are playing green and not playing a 3GG 5/4 that should draw at least one card when it comes in? I would make room, it doesn't have to be a companion.

Yeah man you're already running the slightly slightly awkward blue splash. May as well run the Keruga too. You could even cut the blue splash entirely and run your Symboite and Migration path.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Do we think the Korvald or the Obosh version of Rakdos Sacrifice will reign supreme?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Eej posted:

Obosh won a money tournament so that's the one in the lead right now

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, but I really do like the Jund version rocking Varaska/Lilly.

Does 0 still count as an even number for cards like Extension Event?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Annnnd I just realised Mythic Wildcards get handed out at a REALLY low rate.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Boco_T posted:

It's okay y'all only 18 months until Cauldron Familiar and Witch's Oven rotate

I love Cat Soup though.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

BioThermo posted:

4 Blood Crypt (RNA) 245
3 Castle Locthwain (ELD) 241
4 Cauldron Familiar (ELD) 81
4 Claim the Firstborn (ELD) 118
4 Fabled Passage (ELD) 244
4 Gutterbones (RNA) 76
4 Heraldic Banner (ELD) 222
2 Judith, the Scourge Diva (RNA) 185
4 Mayhem Devil (WAR) 204
5 Mountain (ANA) 64
4 Serrated Scorpion (IKO) 99
6 Swamp (ANA) 63
4 Whisper Squad (IKO) 105
4 Witch's Oven (ELD) 237
4 Woe Strider (THB) 123

2 Act of Treason (M20) 124
2 Bedevil (RNA) 157
2 Disfigure (M20) 95
2 Drill Bit (RNA) 73
1 Obosh, the Preypiercer (IKO) 228
2 Pharika's Libation (THB) 111
4 Rotting Regisaur (M20) 111

Note the Regis in the sideboard to chump the Flame Sweeps of Temur Rec.

twitch VoD of finals: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/603689331?t=0h46m17s

Regisaurs are a good choice. I think on ladder having something to shrug off Flame Sweep and Storm's Wrath is a good option.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Lone Goat posted:

Since last core set had Chandra Through The Ages, I hope M21 has a young Teferi planeswalker that finally shows us how Magic will portray a fart machine

Young Teferi was a pre-mending Walker. So he'd be even worse.

Edit: God drat CFB going subscription based is mega frustrating after years of free articles.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

odiv posted:

I haven't listened to Limited Resources in a while, but that must really be tripping up Marshall on his show intro.

Yeah I'm still (slowly) listening my way through the 6 hours of Ikora set review which was recorded before Pro's announcement.

$50 for a year is more expensive than a news paper subscription which is a bit rough. Anyone here got it?

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Apr 29, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Kashuno posted:

I've got it, it's fine. It definitely feels like there is more content than there was before that's tailored toward the top end of the metagame, which makes sense considering they're charging now. I doubt I'll be renewing my sub in a year but it was fine to go in on once

I'm super torn atm because there is an LSV article on Temur Rec posted today behind the paywall :cripes:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Historic is weak pioneer

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Somberbrero posted:

Just played against the most ridiculous draft deck running at least 4 serrated scorpions, Bushmeat Poacher, and Offspring's Revenge. Keep recurring them to phantom block, ping for two, heal 2, and draw a card. I should have lost but I think they misplayed out of a draw and I pulled Dreamtail into Fully Grown to land exact lethal.

Offsprings revenge looks like a very powerful build around.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Dear goons I need some help. I have 30 hours (minus 8 tomorrow morning when I have to go to work) to play a sealed league.

I've opened what I think are two (maybe 3) potential good decks I'd like opinions on. You probably want to open them in full size. (all decks are pre land)

The first is what I think is a pretty good GB value deck:

The second is the insanely ambitious deck running a very high 1-2 CMC cycle package with Unpredictable Cyclone plus Yorion companioned edit: also realised I have a Crystalline Golem to add to maybe add to this deck:

A slightly more sensible version of the deck above, still runs the Unpredictable Cyclone package but just looks to cycle stuff into the graveyard and hit 5/6 on curve to then play either Cyclone or Gyruda and Yorion (needs cuts) edit: also realised I have a Crystalline Golem to add to maybe add to this deck:

Any goon advice would be tops.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Apr 30, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

thespaceinvader posted:

Don't run Unpredictable Cyclone it's bad. It's great if you can cheat it out early somehow but the big benefit of it is playing bigger stuff for cheap - which means you've got to overcome a 5-mana disadvantage from playing it, just to get it to have paid for itself over just... casting another 5-drop that does things. ANd you spend your 5-drop doing basically nothing.

If you cast it turn 5, hen cycle 2 useless 1-cycle-cost creatures into like... Titanoth Rex and Yidaro... it's amazing, but that will happen a lot less often than you think, and it works way way worse with instants than you want it to.

I've tried it twice in Limited, it's bad. I've tried it in Constructed, it's bad. It's a bad card. Sorry.

It's a shame it doesn't have a bonus for cycling it like Shark Typhoon, if it did it would be a lot more playable.

Either the GB value or the UR(W) look fine (and back for more/gyruda is pretty vicious in limited, milling for 8 and fighting with a 6/6 is vicious), but don't run Cyclone.

----

On a different note, I noticed yesterday whilst Brawling that Mutate targets creatures you *own*, not creatures you *control*. So you can't mutate over a temporarily stolen enemy creature to take permanent ownership of it - but you CAN mutate onto creatures an opponent has stolen, in order to... what? That's my question, what can you do with that? Because they will still be the controller of the creature, so they own all the effects, but is there anything you can do with that trick in order to actually mess with people?

Other than forced decking via Heron or Pollywog Symbiote, maybe?

I can't think of anything offhand but I really want there to be something.

Any ideas?

Thanks! I guess Gyruda/Back For More is better than my Jeskai pile. It basically relies on trying to cycle to get Gyruda then blink him a bunch with Yorion or Escape Protocal.

RE: Mutate, because you get to choose which card goes on top or bottom I guesssss you could like put a shittier creature on top of the good one they stole but all mutates are GOOD there are no mutates that do something bad to you.

Ok my decks, gave up on Yorion companioned cause its mana was too messy and it only added minimal extra cycling.

Opinions? Happy to fiddle the the land counts too, think GB is off but I wanted to have the white splash for Mythos potentially if I have to get rid of an enchantment or something. 2 Plains in Jeskai incase I have to hard cast Valuuk as a 3/3 First Strike Flying.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 30, 2020

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Just give me Pioneer dammit.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Just went 7-2 final Sealed before they go away. That was my board state just before the end of the game. Not shown in Opponents graveyard: Gyruda, Emergent Ultimatum

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

thespaceinvader posted:

The rest of the pool is what's listed in the sideboard at the bottom.

I think I passed up an Essence Scatter at one point for a creature but with a creature base this low I don't feel too bad about it. I ended up swapping out the Reunion for a Convolute but otherwise making no changes and it's 3/0 up so far, which is enough to buy the next one so I'm pretty pleased. Wins have been a mix of go-wide, good removal, and flying, and in one case, the Archipelagore double tapdown.

Whirlwind of Thought is the first of the big static enchants I've managed to draft that actually works, which is good.

(I've not found a shark typhoon yet :()

Had 1 from a pack, got two in that sealed I just played, opened 1 on the prizes.

:toot: Full Shark Playset baby. Sharknado flies into my top 10 favorite cards of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I take it no cooler duders have any free FNM codes for sleves to give out then >.>?