Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Jinnigan posted:

Well. My second ever draft went better. 3-3. ended up building a white/artifact deck. bet i could've done better though - any suggestions?

I wouldn't have played the 2nd Fortifying Provisions or the 2nd Crashing Drawbridge. 19 creatures is a bit high, and you have 0 removal/interaction spells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I feel like I've got a really good deck somewhere in here, but I wanted some input on what to trim down. I imagine 5 Searing Barrage is a bit much, lol. It's best to max out at 1-2, right?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

I'd cut barge in, all three goblins, embereth paladin, turtle, 3 Barrage, dwarven mine and bring in an island and mountain to get to 18 land.

There's an argument to take out both 7 dwarves for the 1/4 and the 4/5 Merfolk.

and pray your opponent doesn't have revenge of ravens

Thanks! The first couple games have gone very well.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Now this is podracing.

Yes, they did think Trapped in the Tower would stop Pyromancer.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

it's so beautiful

what was your record with that deck?

Currently 5-1. The one loss so far was from the server messing up my 1st turn. It disconnected my as I was playing my land - I was going first - but when I got back in my opp had taken their first turn and had no land in play. I was not happy, lol

E: Won the draft 7-2. The second loss was a mix of variance and potentially that I should've mulled. I drew a lot of land that game.

TheMaestroso fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Dec 16, 2019

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

ungulateman posted:

i don't normally suggest changing the rules of the game in order to fix a problematic card but making it so that creatures that aren't blocked by anything trample over their phantom blocker would help a lot with the current state of things

This would completely break the game.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

evilweasel posted:

do these formulas assume you cash in the random wildcards you open, or that you stockpile those?

The rule is to not use wildcards on random rares/mythics just to finish the set. Use them on singles you need outside of the set you're completing.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Truga posted:

hello friends, i'm mostly a noob at drafting, and i drafted this pile of poo poo:

kinda seems like i'd wanna go full aggro with this, but i'm not sure how many lands is appropriate for aggro 40card decks. is way 12 too low? also any other input is appreciated.

This is what I would do

Bring in 2 Carvers, 1 Once and Future, 1 Outmuscle, 1 Keeper, 1 Treefolk, 1 Mountain, 3 Forest

Take out 2 Gargoyle, 3 Barge In, 1 Fling, 3 Insatiable Appetite, 1 Wolverine

I would probably even add another land to make sure you hit the top end, but not sure what else to take out. Maybe another Barge In.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Hammer Bro. posted:

How the heck do I flash an Embercleave onto my attacking Krenko before his on-attack trigger resolves?

That should be legal I think, but I haven't figured out the correct combinations or timings of button presses to allow me to keep priority until after the tokens are created.

Wait for the trigger to go on the stack, and the game should give you priority to flash it in. The trigger will update with his new power when it resolves and give you the correct number of goblins.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Loving this draft deck with Innkeep, 2x Wandermare, Lovestruck Beast, and lots of Adventure dudes. I grew my two Wandermare two turns in a row - while also having Beast out - and my opp just conceded on the spot despite having six creatures out, lol.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Bugsy posted:

2nd Adeliz or Clutches here? Sideboard is not great.

I feel like Adeliz will perform better in this deck. You seem more in the tempo realm than control.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

First Theros ranked draft - tips/cut suggestions appreciated!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Marketing New Brain posted:

+1 Mogis favor - almost always want one of these in every deck.

-1 Marauder, -1 flicker fate, -2 scavenging harpy, -1 captivating unicorn.

Does a deck with several auras work with only 11 creatures?

E: Though I guess they're mostly for my opp's creatures

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Marketing New Brain posted:

You have plenty of good creatures, rise to glory, omen, and a charger you can escape. I rarely run out of creatures in this format and for this type of deck 11 is fine.

Mogis favor also works well with triumphant surge in a pinch.

I went 1-3, so gonna have to disagree on that. Never got to play the pegasus, either.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Need help again! It seems I'm not hurting for targeting spells for my pseudo-heroic dudes, but I'm having trouble deciding what to cut/swap out.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Heliod's Intervention is pretty sick. Managed to kill three enchantments with it, including Elspeth Conquers Death, wiping their entire board. 10/10 would recommend.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Lol, glad I had to pivot in pack 2 instead of pack 3 in this one. Cut suggestions?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Look Around You posted:

Enemy of Enlightment sucks.

I've been wary of it because I thought it looked iffy, but I wanted more opinions on it, so thanks!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Thoughts?

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Thanks the help, everyone!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Ideas for cuts? Looks to me like I need to drop two to four 2- and/or 3-drops and a couple non-creatures, but making the choice is tough. Having a hard time getting used to this format.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Suggestions? I feel like this is almost right, but not quite there. Not enough black creatures to go mono-B, I don't think, but maybe low creature count is correct in this format.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Looks like I'm just extremely bad at Guilds draft, lol

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

This is a Bo3 draft, and my first crack at the GW enchantments archetype. What to cut? I have a ton of auras, so I don't want to go too low on creatures.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

TheMaestroso posted:

This is a Bo3 draft, and my first crack at the GW enchantments archetype. What to cut? I have a ton of auras, so I don't want to go too low on creatures.

Ended up 5-2 after tweaks. Games I dropped were due to mana issues in one match, and a lack of answers in the other. One match, though, I managed to crush a WU deck with Kiora Bests the Sea God, lol. They even put it back on top with that one 3/4 after it was used up, but it was too late by then.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

in bo3? either you get 5 wins or 2 losses, not both

Ah, I think I was remembering the pack number for 4 wins, lol

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Bo3 draft again. Needs some cuts. Should I lean more into red? I don't think I cut it completely - not enough black to work with, I don't think.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Holy crap, RG can actually be pretty nuts, at least in Bo1 draft. Even stomped a Dream Trawler in one game. Only one I dropped was due to being stuck at two mana for five turns.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Thoughts on what to cut? My instinct is -1 Manticore, -1 Flicker/Tactics, -1 Portent

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Thanks for the help!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Wezlar posted:

You should absolutely be playing that Heliods Intervention, it's the best card in the entire pile

It's a Bo3 draft, so I figured it would streamline my deck to have it in the board to bring in when needed. You're probably right, though.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

This deck ended up playing quite a bit better than expected!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Spiderdrake posted:

There's nothing inexplicable it was announced for a specific reason

Brawlhall is free this month for the same reason

I think they're referring to how the previous setup was to have the current set available all the time and to cycle through older sets in addition to it. They changed that with TBD, for some reason, and only went back to that format during the crisis.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

New Bo3 draft - having a very hard time cutting cards!

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

TheMaestroso posted:

Update on this: 3-0 so far. I changed -1 Omen of the Dead, -1 Inevitable End, -1 Hero of the Winds, -1 Swamp, -1 Omen of the Sun. The round I just played was against Dream Trawler :agesilaus:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

TheMaestroso posted:

TheMaestroso posted:

Update on this: 3-0 so far. I changed -1 Omen of the Dead, -1 Inevitable End, -1 Hero of the Winds, -1 Swamp, -1 Omen of the Sun. The round I just played was against Dream Trawler :agesilaus:

Final update: went 5-0 pretty handily. I think any deck that has Chimera/Hoplite really wants Courser for the devotion boost, especially since it's pretty difficult to kill right away.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Toozler posted:

How is the green 3/3 for 3 not just a slam pick in these meh packs? Centaur Courser with upside in my green creature deck? Yes please

It having basically no synergy with anything makes it a lot less desirable than typical (which is usually a solid C rank, anyway).

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

what would you take here? (other than "the whole pack"). gold rank best of 1.

Not pictured: the 5 cards in the sideboard are

2B Soulreaper of Mogis
BBB Underworld Dreams
2BB Drag to the Underworld

3R Skophos Maze-Warden
3R Portent of Betrayal

Eutropia, for my money.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Lone Goat posted:

well i mean yeah, but which one and why (i finished the draft a while ago)

I think Eutropia is the better pick for your deck, because she turns random creatures into potential evasive beaters. Shimmerwing doesn't have any real payoffs here unless you already have stuff like Eutropia or Setessan Champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

VictualSquid posted:

What would you guys cut?

-1 Brute (it's bad), -1 Revelers (SB card at best), -1 Furious Rise (not enough ways to trigger it), -1 Growth (no way to protect it), -1 Skirmisher (not very useful here), -1 Viper (you don't need a defensive creature), -1 Chariot (not the right shell for it), -1 Plummet (SB card - the Aracnir can function similarly).

thespaceinvader posted:

Brute, 2x Aracnir, Viper, Revellers, 2x Thrill, Chariot

I wouldn't get rid of the only escape cards in the deck, especially when they have a dual purpose against fliers.