Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
First Strix draft and I’ve won my last two games spending 14 mana to go Crackle with Power for 20x4 damage off the back of Storm-Kiln Artist treasure tokens :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Premier draft actually seems pretty good value, if you can even go 3-X, 10k gold for 1000 gems 3 big packs and 2 small packs seems alright, and once you get past 3-X the prizes really ramp up

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Mono-white lifegain aggro is hilarious for the standard unranked queue. If they don’t have removal for the right bits you can regularly have like 40 power on the board on turn 5 and have so much life you don’t need to think about blocking

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If you’re not playing historic to shove 15+ gods out of the world tree you’re a coward imo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

1 drop, 2 drop, sparring regimen in limited can extremely go gently caress itself

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

Th Tarrasque not having trample is kind of hilarious. An 0/1 goat token can stop it smashing stuff. Especialy when Titanoth Rex does have trample...

Makes sense imo, trying to distract the tarrasque is generally pretty key in d&d.

What is dumb as gently caress though is that it has no regenerative ability.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

house of the dad posted:

The game was really bad and poorly made and it’s actually prudent of them to pull the plug now rather than spend years trying to convince us it would someday be good.

But enough about Arena

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Taeke posted:

I still look back fondly on that old game where you walked around, did dungeons and stuff to collect cards and build a deck. That game was the poo poo. They should do something like that again.

An updated shandalar would be amazing, i think AI would be the big blocker, but you could address that by going the way of some of the duels of the planeswalkers games and going with gimmick decks and rules modifiers

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

If you don’t have OG Ravnica in a format you might as well play standard :crossarms:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Craft only dual lands from the most recent set :colbert:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

JumpStart is a great way to play magic, it’s just a shame that it feels like setting gold on fire to do it

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Getting a double trigger off the last room of the mad mage is fun times

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

GB stuff dies is a fun draft deck, the 3 cost 2/2 deathtouch venture is a workhorse

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Opened two treasure chests in my sealed pool. Not sure if that’s good or not but I guess I’ll figure it out by the end of this run :shrug:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Relin posted:

yo why are people with no land destruction not conceding to book/haven combo

I think “because gently caress you” is the most likely answer

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

During the all-access event I got into a Platinum Angel mirror match, and the answer to how the game handles it is: it doesn't. You have to pass turns forever or it will force you to concede for inactivity. So the first person to manually concede or AFK loses. (Took a minute but I was more patient than the opponent)

I love how the Haven thing is clearly just Wizards QA testers completely missing it. It's the most degenerate non-interactive bullshit, which is what I live for in Magic. Having this play for the next year makes up for Hexproof getting nerfed into that Ward nonsense.

I mean there may well be a ghost ruin reprint in Innistrad or something which would be fine because 2022 standard but not innistrad isn’t actually a real format.

It is kind of funny that 2022 standard is their temporary solution to people being sick of an unfun format though.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Honestly if you don’t want to do any outside learning that’s fine, but in that case draft and sealed are going to be a really bad value proposition for you and probably frustrating because you’ll end up in a lot of games where your deck just isn’t up to scratch with your opponent.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Can Ugin get loving banned in brawl already? It’s the least loving fun card to play against by a mile and can be included by every deck thanks to being colourless. Chuck it in the bin where it belongs

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Orc Priest posted:

does anyone know any good rotation proof f2p decks i could build? i found this goblins deck on reddit but idk i think i wasted a bunch of wildcards cause this deck is kind of crappy. i should have just used one of the premade decks instead lol

Deck
2 Barbarian Class (AFR) 131
2 Hobgoblin Bandit Lord (AFR) 147
4 Battle Cry Goblin (AFR) 132
4 Hobgoblin Captain (AFR) 148
4 Goblin Javelineer (AFR) 144
4 You See a Pair of Goblins (AFR) 170
2 Swarming Goblins (AFR) 162
2 Den of the Bugbear (AFR) 254
2 Goblin Morningstar (AFR) 145
4 Fireblade Charger (ZNR) 139
4 Frost Bite (KHM) 138
4 Hulking Bugbear (AFR) 149
22 Snow-Covered Mountain (KHM) 283

Anyone selling you a rotation proof deck before we have seen any cards from a whole set of the new rotation should feel bad imo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

DisgracelandUSA posted:

So I did this draft yesterday and it turned out like garbage:

https://www.17lands.com/draft/8bc469158ae1464abb22759e598c69fe

I'm not looking for general feedback, but P3P1 I opened Lolth and said, "I can't pivot into Lolth P3." And then P3P3 was Westvale Regent. Is it possible to pivot to totally different out-of-synergy color for 1+ bombs in P3?

Depends how many treasures you've got. Obviously a lot easier for single mana out of colour, but there's a ton of durdling in this format so you can definitely justify running bombs off 1 or 0 land alot of the time.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Rinkles posted:

I wouldn’t characterize this format as having a ton of durdling. There’ll be some good slow decks, but I’ve played plenty of games that were effectively over by turn 5.

My experience is there’s a ton more things with toughness 3 than power 3, and the power difference between rates/mythics and commons/uncommon is way more pronounced than usual. Yes, if you’re ignoring board state you’ll often still get wiped, but it’s pretty doable to gum up the board with low power high toughness creatures that have a fair chunk of upside too.

I’ve only done 6 or so drafts though, so happy to concede I could be wrong due to my small sample size

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

ive played world tree in a prior build and ultimately decided it did more harm than good as an always CIPT land that in the early game only provides the least important color in the deck and doesnt activate any checklands, it was causing too many losses to aggro when i had trouble hitting removal on time. ive been considering going to a build playing growth spirals and if i did id probably want a world tree, but i feel like the format might get a little more aggressive with no brainstorm.

If you’re not playing world tree to spin out 20+ different gods then get the gently caress out imo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

imo they should do a set that puts a bunch of the commander exclusive cards into arena (the ones that aren’t designed for more than one opponent)

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Worth noting that if you’re playing on iOS, to redeem the codes listed above you have to log into your account in a browser and enter the code there.

Then next time you go to the store page in the arena app it will recognise all the codes you’ve put in and give you the stuff

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

megane posted:

I can’t loving wait for Ugin to be thrown in the trash like he deserves

:same:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The real reason to run Volo as your commander is to fit Kenrith's Transformation, Mystic Subdual and Icthyosis into the same deck to gently caress with the other guy's commander and leave it on the field. :colbert:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anyone notice a massive uptick in prismatic bridge decks in brawl in the last few days? Reckon it was 80% of what I played against yesterday

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

flatluigi posted:

brawl has some matchmaking to try to keep the top tier decks together which includes esika, so either you were trying a new deck with a commander it considers top tier or one of your old decks got bumped up

were you playing guide to monsters by any chance

Was alternating between Volo and Esika, so that makes sense! I had no idea Brawl attempted to matchmake like that, actually makes me want to try some more out there commanders now!

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Took a P1P1 bruenor Battlehammer, then a P1P2 Bruenor Battlehammer because hey contingency

Passed on the P1P3 Bruenor Battlehammer that came through, and also the P2P1 Bruenor Battlehammer... not sure if those were the correct choices.

Opened an adult gold dragon in P3 :shrug:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

3 of the last 4 times that I’ve attacked with Delina I’ve fizzled on the first roll despite rolling 4 dice which just seems hosed imo

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

love to end a draft losing to orcus and xanathar on the table a++ would play bomb heavy garbo format again

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I know it’s not a thing but it honestly seems almost impossible to just get a nice 3/4 land hand in limited off your first draw

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Turn 2 Kailan into turn 3 Icingdeath get absolutelty hosed you greedy hog

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I gotta say if anyone is wanting to just grind out their daily wins I’m finding Magda in brawl even more effective than that historic kiln fiend deck, thing is absolutely disgusting. Half the time I’m playing against prismatic bridge decks which just play mana til they’re dead

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Defeatist Elitist posted:

I think I disagree with almost all your early picks, but I'm also not sure of the context.

Did you specifically raredraft in p1p1? I assume you did, but then it almost looks like you are trying to draft around it. You ignored some really good red and white options (what I would most like to be in), and didn't even always take the best green card.

I haven’t played the format but it looks to me like there was a seriously good GR deck on offer here in packs 1 and 3

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Almost lost a game because I'm not sure how to make my dude exert when attacking.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

IMO if you don't hang around and concede a few games after winning your 3000xp in the 100 card historic you're a bad person

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

the secret to edh is the bullshit blue cards (+ Kenrith's transformation) that turn their commander into a random no ability dude but don't send them back to the command zone.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Amonkhet is probably my favourite flavoured plane ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

I love the concept of the adventure module land art from AFR but I find them utterly revolting when actually on the board.