Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Drafted Golos, Dread Presence and x3 cutthroat and it felt like I was playing a different format from my opponents with their vorstclaws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I'll probably try that Yarok + Dread Presence deck, putting in arboreal grazer over lanowar elf

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Some Numbers posted:

Got a list that doesn't include Scapeshift?

https://www.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/d01xan/standard_elemental_swamp/

this one

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bedurndurn posted:

Other people playing that Azorious Fliers deck from a page or two ago in the Standard 2020 event:

Are you getting your money's worth from those pteramanders? I've never been able to Adapt one in the games I've played. There's not enough instant/sorc spells to make it much cheaper and a game that has let me drop 8 mana on the field is a game that I've lost. My typical win is playing a surprise Rally of Wings to swing for an unexpected 8 or 10 damage or my opponent snap conceding when they don't have removal for Sephara.

I don't know what I'd replace them with though. Maybe Faerie Miscreants? It loses the adapt threat, but I might get another couple of card draws out of it?

play those 2/1 pegasi imo

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

set seems really strong at limited

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

you don't even need to buy anything, its trivial to amass the amount of gems needed by using gold to draft

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So is anyone else playing the Ranked 2020 event and not getting ranking points anymore? The season is still going right?

Unfortunately you only get ranking points when you win

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I encourage everybody to draft white so I can grind you out with golgari and dimir. Revenge of Ravens, an uncommon, beats white all by itself

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

obviously just maindeck unmoored ego, kefnets and mystic sanctuary so you can cast unmoored ego as much as you want

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

just maindeck 2-3 Forever Young. its a good card anyways

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

i hope Ally Warfield wins so Wotc will print a legendary utility land named 'Ally Warfield' in her honor

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

if anybody is looking for something different I've been having a lot of fun in bo1 with this esper dreadhorde deck and just reached diamond-

https://mtgazone.com/deck/esper-control-dreadhorde-by-after-office-ttv-10-mythic-throne-of-eldraine-season-2/

It's got decent game versus most of the aggro trash you see and I've done well against flash decks too. Most importantly it has the same kind of thrill that Mass Manipulation gives. You chump block endlessly or board wipe and then OOPS! dreadhorde back a pile of bell-haunts/charming princes and discard their whole hand, or refresh your own hand with guardmage, or just gain a ton of life, or bring back enemy creatures. I just beat a mardu knights deck that had played 3x revenge of ravens by returning a pile including their own corpse knights and pinging them for 9

Its a bo3 deck so I'm still playing with it, right now I'm playing with gideon, planar cleansings and kenrith over fblthyp, liliana and kaya. I would definitely at least add planar cleansing

Calibanibal fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 21, 2019

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The Clowner posted:

Had a pretty diverse series of games after throwing a mono black pile together for dailies in bo1, some I've never seen before. It's usually just cats and knights:

-selesnya convoke
-Boros mentor
-mardu seven dwarves
-mono green season of growth spiral
-azorius tokens with angelic exultation
-mono blue mill
-artifact tribal

I guess the matchmaker didn't know what to do with me so it stuck me with the other dregs?

I think they changed the matchmaking because I am suddenly playing against all jank with my esper blink in unranked

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

TipTow posted:

3-0'ed the Nylea event with this simic flash deck:

4 Nightpack Ambusher (M20) 185
7 Forest (ANA) 60
4 Frilled Mystic (RNA) 174
8 Island (ANA) 57
4 Brineborn Cutthroat (M20) 50
4 Omen of the Sea (THB) 58
4 Brazen Borrower (ELD) 39
4 Spectral Sailor (M20) 76
2 Aether Gust (M20) 42
3 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
3 Quench (RNA) 48
3 Oakhame Adversary (ELD) 167
2 Biogenic Ooze (RNA) 122
4 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246

Oakhame adversary seems like a really good meta pick since everyone will be running green and you trigger the monster emblem to cantrip even when you only pay 2 to cast it.

I'll be farming this event for daily wins today and weeklies tomorrow for sure.

yeah went like 11-3 with this to finsh all my weekly wins. Seems like some people are just jamming their Bo1 RDW, otherwise this deck feels really good

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I did the golgari graveyard precon and its pretty nuts unless you get unlucky and mill all lands

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

kalel posted:

that's what concerns me. it's one thing to not add, in their words, "every common 2/2 for 2," but certain playable rares or uncommons could be waiting in the wings for a meta shift and then the arena team will be caught with their pants down. like if they pull a George bush "mission accomplished" right before mtgo/paper pioneer becomes divergent with arena pioneer, what are they gonna do? implement the missing cards in a timely manner as a hotfix? unlikely

real arena pioneer is very far off in the future, I just don't want wotc to declare victory prematurely

There's at least one Pioneer-playable card already completely coded into the game that just isn't craftable for no apparent reason - Consulate Dreadnaught. Doesn't really bode well

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I have emotes disabled. I'd said about half of opponents say "Hello!", and then occasionally I get BM "Oops" when they think they're winning and BM "You're Go" when they're losing

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Explorer Bo1 is a pretty fun mix of stuff (not counting angels) until you hit mythic and then its like 50% greasefang. Pretty brutal, its basically mandatory to maindeck either good graveyard hate or Karn. Well that's what I get for playing a fake format

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

MasterBuilder posted:

God as much as I liked playing spirits in the past, playing against the current tempo game play is rear end.

i do bo1 explorer because im dumb but Shifting Ceratops is incredibly satisfying

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

what that explorer list sucks

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

well i guess its not that bad.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

No Nykthos is sad. Also isnt hangarback walker banned? are they unbanning?

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah i was mistaken. for some reason its listed as banned on gatherer

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Shooting Blanks posted:

Assuming those lists are correct, are either/both of the anthologies worth getting?

kalitas is a great mythic, though you likely dont need 4 copies. but wanderer, slaughter games, supreme verdict, siege rhino, rally, and tireless tracker are all very playable rares and in multiples. so i would say yes on the explorer anthology. they're obviously playable in historic as well. dont know or care about historic anthology

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Bugsy posted:

Bleh, there's only one blood artist effect in explorer, and the only free unlimited sac outlets are 3 mana. Dont think Rally is good enough right now.

There's Cruel Celebrant, Corpse Knight, and Wayward Servant. There absolutely has to be a zombie rally deck there

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Panderfringe posted:

Rattle chains is an extremely important card they isn't in Explorer.

you can use a gameshark to hack Rattlechains into mtga

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

id like the full art snow lands. luckily already have the superior mirage basics

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

babypolis posted:

i only got the mirage swamps and mountains, a mistake i will never be able to live down. at least i got the two best ones

yeah that mountain is gorgeous. hopefully someday we can get the best plains and island

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

If you go to the tab where all your decks are listed and hover your mouse over the deck without clicking, it will tell you how many wildcards you need

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

4 color enigmatic incarnation is good in explorer, but it cheats creatures into play in a way that i assume doesn't count as casting for quests

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

If you flash in Chromium on the end of your opponents turn they will concede always, got me 3 of my wins

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

They already printed my little pony into the game, there's no downhill anymore

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I played the rakdos midrange deck mtgazone has listed on the alchemy tier list, you just have to dump the manlands and the bloodchief thirst to make it future proof. I lost once to some stupid blood token enchantment that also makes blood artists, and once to a shield counter deck that drew quadruple endless detour. Otherwise the deck felt way stronger than everything else i ran into

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Man the spoilers Dominaria United make it look like it’s all over the place, trying to entice you into going 5 colors and poo poo.

Of course I’m not very good at evaluating power levels. Maybe it’s because I’m reading the cards over several days as they are revealed but I’m not really clearly seeing the archetypes.

the stuff that scales from "basic land types" seems fun for limited but horrible for standard probably

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I hope so because I want jodah cascade into a fblthp. Just really want to have a fblthp in my deck

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

yeah. AFR seemed really interesting with the dungeons but it was unbearable to draft. Strixhaven was embarrassing to look at but turned out super fun

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I mean draft is just so much more fun than grinding the constructed ladder. Hold out a few more days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Yeah playing exalted deed combo and my only loss is to the auto tapper not leaving 3 white mana open