Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Lone Goat posted:

The last version of Run Away Together was Peel From Reality and it was roughly a C-
Yeah unless there's a big token subtheme in general and a ETB subtheme in blue I don't think Run Away Together is going to be better than a C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I've been able to win with all of the brawl decks. My advice would be to mull more aggressively. No, even more aggressive than that. If your hand doesn't have good mana, some early action, and at least one reasonably strong card, you should throw it back. You should be taking the free mulligan a lot of the time.

Beyond that, try to be sparing with removal. The decks are inconsistent, so you can't really depend on getting more threats or answers. Save your removal for threats you REALLY can't answer otherwise, and will kill you if you let them sit for a couple of turns.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Unless the Excalibur card gives haste and generates an overwhelming advantage while having a colossal hammer-esque CMC and equipcost, I don't think Ser Gwyn will be standard playable.

Please subscribe to my news letter for more of my blistering hot takes.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Monstrous, guys.

Come on.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are the 2020 replacements for:

Cast Down
Moment of Craving
Vraska's Contempt

i.e. I want B spot removal options, including the possibility of gaining life and/or hitting walkers
M20 has murder, Throne has that Murderous Rider that was just spoiled.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Reality Sinner posted:

Golos and Field are the same set. A powerful land + a powerful land tutor. They should have seen it coming.
I think they assumed that the wonky manabase would keep Fields in check. I mean, most of the lands either come in tapped (conditionally) or shock you. They probably expected aggro decks to feast on them and keep them in check.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

All the other rare cards in golos Fields except Golos and Field will almost certainly still see play.

Edit: I still have hope for Kenrith even.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

Simic Flash is the absolute worst deck to play against in the format IMO because the only way to beat it is to MAKE THEM have it. Sometimes they have it, and you realize that you couldn’t have possibly ever won, and the last five minutes were you just slowly discovering that.
Yeah but when they don't have it and you get to watch them struggle to catch back up is pretty nice.

Go ahead, flash that frilled mystic in for no value against my three gutterbones. Aren't we all having fun?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

No one plays golos in ranked because of all the golos decks make the mirror matches unbearable.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Zyla posted:

What if they dont touch field but merk the grazer
It slows down the fields decks and make aggro significantly better in the matchup, but I don't think it's enough of either for it to matter.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

drainpipe posted:

Yikes, that manabase.
Fabled Passages act as a reasonable facsimile of a dual land, but yeah between the weak mana base and the strong lands rewarding mono-color, I think the most consistent deck is going to be heavy on one color with a splash for a second. Except Mardu knights, I don't predict any three color decks being consistently good.

I'm brewing up some sort of mono-black or heavy black Rakdos Aristocrat deck. Not having Priest or Mayhem Devil really hurts the Rakdos deck compared to the Standard version, but you still get Familiar, Oven, and Claim the Firstborn. Ayara and the hybrid Knights might be enough of a payoff?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Zero VGS posted:

That's a good question... who is the edgiest Planeswalker of all time?
Tibalt in particular and Rakdos in general are 90s Edgelords.dck

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I feel like Manse Dance Revolution has some potential now, but i'm not sure how good the Simic Food match up is for it. It seems like Esper would have the advantage?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Historic will be the newly supported format in 2027 after Pioneer gets to rich for newer players, calling it now.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Zero VGS posted:

I played against someone yesterday who was using the Reef elemental with Spark Double. They had half their deck on the board around turn 6. Then they passed to me and my Midnight Reaper / 0 CMC creature combo went off and I dealt them 20 damage in one turn.

Deck works surprisingly well for being only half built. Turns out Stonecoil Serpents are really strong when you cast them for more than 0 mana as well! Reach plus protection from multicolored makes it very nasty for both blocking and attacking.
How do you deal them the damage? Judith triggers?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I didn't see any mentions of draft bots in the patch notes

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Welp

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Bust Rodd posted:

What’s the best graveyard hate in the format besides Ashiok?
Grafdigger Cage is in the format, isn't it?

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

A doomblade that only hits Planeswalkers.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Lol build simic now, everything in that deck is going to have a home regardless of what was banned.

I bet they ban Nissa.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

axeil posted:

Dance Manse Revolution is one of the most fun decks I've played and I hope it ends up doing better once Oko is gone.
It'll do better because everything will do better if Oko is gone, but a more mid-range creature heavy format could be tough for it.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I play a Boros Tajic deck and yeah, if you don't do anything for three turns you'll lose but I also insta-lose Merfolk Secretkeeper, so, you know.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

If you're enjoying the Super-Singleton event, you should check out the Gladiator format - the difference is that Field of the Dead is banned instead of Nexus of Fate. The result is a format that's pretty similar to Canadian Highlander, and feels a lot like "constructed Cube". It's really easy to get started with barely any wild cards, and even the 'expensive' decks are cheap due to the singleton aspect.

The Gladiator discord is extremely active with people constantly setting up tournaments, discussing cards, and playing pick-up games. The people at Loading Ready Run have played a couple of sessions, and discussed it on their casual magic podcast, TapTapConcede. You can also watch Ben Wheeler play or brew Gladiator decks a lot on his Twitch stream.

It's actually really, really fun, and scratches that eternal format itch a lot better than Historic imo.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

fadam posted:

Can I ask what makes it feel more eternal than Historic? It’s the same card pools, no?
So to me, Historic often feels like Super Standard than a proper eternal format. But the singleton format means you see decks that have more variety and don't operate like Standard decks.

Granted, I haven't given Historic a chance in the last year, so maybe Jumpstart mixed things up and I should give it another chance.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

IIRC CoCo made barely any impact on Standard but almost immediately hosed up Modern.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Yeah, it feels more like a D&D crossover scheme instead.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I wonder if "Threaten, but able to hit Planeswalkers" would be good in Standard. Not a lot of ways to sac PWs, but if you grab them when their loyalty is at the right point...

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

D&D is probably still a rounding error to Hasbro as a business unit, but it has massive popular cachet right now and an oversized impact on content creation. I'm sure some market analysts has a bunch of very colorful slideshows about getting Adventure Zone and Critical Role fans hooked on the cardboard crack.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Why wait?

The Rat Maze was the best edition of the MTG rules, unlike this gamey hearthstone bullshit.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

And it's not like turn 3 Throng is a slam dunk either. Definitely not worth the ~1/5 chance you don't draw into your 3rd land by turn 3.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

PhilippAchtel posted:

Yeah, usually I like Apparition better, but in this deck being able to remove any blocker for a turn and also erase tokens is a big plus.

Also it's just a single W mana.
The transformation of Brutal Cather into a 3/3 first striker when you run out of gas, combined with the ward - deal 3 damage at night, imo, makes it much more useful than apparition for keeping the pressure up.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Siivola posted:

Take out the mind game 1-ofs and put in a couple Grasps more and it'll be great.

Is it just me or is everyone playing completely ridiculous amounts of removal right now? I can't seem to get a single permanent to stick.
Absolutely, along with board wipes. It's definitely felt like swimming upstream with Boros Aggro. A lot of times I've been playing Brutal Cathar in night mode because the o-ring is just a flicker and at least the ward ability gets them closer to zero.

I'm debating whether I want to add card draw, more protection tricks, more interaction/burn, or just more threats to keep up. That said, I'm still slowly climbing so I guess I can't complain too much.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

VictualSquid posted:

So, from what I can see understand Gladiator is for players who use the full 90 seconds to sideboard their dumb aggro deck despite all sideboards being empty.
At least that is what is happening right now in my first match. I suppose I should have just gone with a paradox engine deck, like the format obviously deserves.
Yeah, most of the time you're setting up gladiator games on one of the discords so usually it's more of a casual format where you can call out dicks directly...

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I think what I like most about Gladiator is that your 'pile of good cards and/or cards I like' can actually hold it's own. I'm currently running a Rakdos Sacrifice deck, and getting to play every Standard sac deck from the last three years at once makes me nostalgic. Turns out Witches Oven and Oni-Cult Anvil make a really great combo with each other.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

I feel like giving everyone a couple hundred free historic singletons would have been easy to justify for this, but what do I know.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Mulligans are also a huge deal on a singleton format, hand smoothing would drastically change the format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Simone Poodoin posted:

Gonna repeat the advice for burned out players, play stupid poo poo on hbrawl for a while.

I’m currently really enjoying my Giada and a bunch of angels deck. Most angels have very good effects and the deck is stupid easy to pilot it’s just flying heavenly goblins really
This except Gladiator. The community is competitive enough that it still scratches the itch, and you can even sign up to leagues with no stakes except bragging rights. Plus the singleton nature makes it pretty easy to build a deck and gives you a lot of space to personalize your deck and figure out the exact cards you want to play. I've been tinkering with a single GW enchantress deck for like a month now, switching idyllic tutor for cast out and swords to plowshares for seal away, trying to figure out what exactly I want to include.