Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In historic pauper I got 4 lifegain decks in a row (2 w and 2 wb) which my mono U cantrip synergy (read: random draft chaff) deck didn't fare too well against

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shooting Blanks posted:

Is there a decent "how to get better at draft" guide out there? I don't need concepts about how to play the game, how draft works, what I'm looking for would be more of an intermediate level guide. Deciding card value, what makes sense vs. what's just dumb, etc.

seconding this, esp given the previous conversation about getting value from f2p

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where's the bo3 queue? Is there a button I have to toggle somewhere or is it just for special events?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I got an incredibly solid mono green Eldraine draft yesterday: a wildborn preserver, 3x rosethorn halberds, 3x Wildwood trackers, a kenrith's transformation, a fierce witchstalker, 2x gingerbread cabins, 2x return to natures, and an insatiable appetite, plus some other stuff. Of course, I went 2-2 because I made a bunch of really dumb decisions

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Look Around You posted:

You need to toggle the switch that says "arena play modes" to "all play modes". Then, best of three queues will be listed as "traditional <queue>".

e: it's always available for play and for ranked. Dunno about historic or other one-off modes.

Oh, I'm actually just blind. Thanks!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Check this idea: Sol ring, but it taps for double white instead

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zoux posted:

Imagine this thread if thoughtseize was in standard lol

The "fun"-ness of counterspells is one thing but thotsies is just straight bull crap.

Gonna give me a conniption just thinking about it

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A mono black deck without Knight of the Ebon Legion? Oh my...

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Deck
22 Forest (ANA) 65
4 Growth Cycle (M20) 175
4 Season of Growth (M20) 191
1 Generous Stray (GRN) 129
4 Gnarlback Rhino (M20) 300
4 Might of the Masses (M20) 182
4 Arboreal Grazer (WAR) 149
2 Gift of Strength (RNA) 127
4 Giant Growth (WAR) 162
2 Diamond Knight (M20) 224
4 Healer of the Glade (M20) 176
3 Rabid Bite (M20) 190
2 Loaming Shaman (M20) 180

Sideboard
3 Silhana Wayfinder (RNA) 141
2 Kenrith's Transformation (ELD) 164
2 Thrashing Brontodon (M20) 197
3 Return to Nature (ELD) 173
2 Plummet (M20) 188
2 Meteor Golem (M19) 241
1 Incubation // Incongruity (RNA) 226

This is the mono-green Growth deck I used for Historic Artisan, minimally adjusted from the Standard version I use when I'm feeling stompy. Went 5-1 for the event. The sideboard is kind of a mess but I haven't bothered with Bo3 with the Standard version, which had some Sorcerer's Spyglasses and Grafdigger's Cages I needed to remove for the event.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiderdrake posted:

Grazer over Elf seems odd.

Generous Stray over Clockwork Servant seems worse other than with the diamond knight interaction?

All I did to take the Standard-legal version of this deck to Artisan was remove the rares and mythics. I just left in the Grazer and didn't bother swapping them out, lol

That said, the Grazer has some advantages: 1) it can chump block without dying 2) more resistant to removal 3) even if it is removed, it doesn't gently caress my mana like an Elf dying would, and land destruction is exceedingly rare IME 4) reach as a throw-in is very useful

Better to have both of course. I'll add the Elves in and probably take out the Stray and some Healers.

quote:

I love Gnarlback Rhino though. Bite or Ambush off a rhino feels amazing every time.

Even better is chain pumping it to lethal when they're tapped out, or if they're playing Blue or Black removal and I've got Veil of Summer (:rip:)

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I rarely see people emote anything other than 'Hello!' at the start of the game and 'Your Turn'.

I find that Dimir players tend to emote "Nice!" often, especially when forcing me to sac permanents or discard, or right before they counter my bomb

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squinky v2.0 posted:

as well as the lowest form of human life - the guy who says “oops” to you as he plays a combat trick

:sweatdrop:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Draft is pretty fun, but you have to sink time and effort into getting gud at it, and then more time and effort grinding, if you want to turn a profit as a filthy F2P

Take me for instance. I just went 0-3 twice in WAR draft. You wanna know how I did it? By not reading a single goddamned thing about WAR or even how to draft in general

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lone Goat posted:

at no point during this whole procedure was i lacking in currency to do a draft. when i started ELD i had enough gold/gems to do 26 drafts. as of right now i have enough for more than 40. a slow trickle of 20 gems doesn't really mean anything to me especially since Ryan Spain's method involves burning wildcards as hard as you can to make 4-ofs which is not what i'm interested in doing.

i'm on pace to do 50 combined limited ELD events (sealed, bo1, bo3) without spending any dollars, because i had fun doing it. but if Theros isn't a compelling draft format then i won't repeat that. there's no way i'm going to punish myself doing something i don't enjoy, just for the sake of gathering digital objects.

i didn't do much standard while Oko was legal, so i'm hardly missing much by not playing. after the last MC i built the Simic Flash deck that came in 2nd because it used a minimal amount of wildcards from ELD (6r, 2m, and some uncommons) and it did a fine job. if i want to focus on constructed then i have a good head start on the next set with all these wildcards. if i wanted to, i could make multiple Theros standard decks on day 1, especially if the rares i want to craft aren't high picks in draft (like lands).

What's your limited winrate

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's why God invented sideboards

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Had a pretty diverse series of games after throwing a mono black pile together for dailies in bo1, some I've never seen before. It's usually just cats and knights:

-selesnya convoke
-Boros mentor
-mardu seven dwarves
-mono green season of growth spiral
-azorius tokens with angelic exultation
-mono blue mill
-artifact tribal

I guess the matchmaker didn't know what to do with me so it stuck me with the other dregs?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is beloved princess not the pick here? We need more low enders and, being in mono-white, it's unlikely alin will come out on turn 5

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheTofuShop posted:

We took Sir Allyn!

Crashing drawbridge

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero VGS posted:

Ayy I did it again:

With my bullshit BO1 deck again:

Who needs TBD cards anyway?

*yoink*

No chandra's spitfire?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zero VGS posted:

Depends on how many creatures I think the opponent is running, and what my board state looks like. If I have a bunch of Tin Street Dodgers and Gingerbrutes down with Cavalcade then I might save them for the face. I tend not to use them on 0 toughness creatures, and it's rarely productive to try and battle mono-green stomp. If I have Rimrocks or a Giant down, then it's usually worth it to clear them a path.

If you draw a Light up the Stage then you always want to lead off with Footlight Fiend or Scorch Spitter so you can force damage through to the opponent on turn 2, even if you have to trade. If you get two Fervent Champions, it's better to play something else on turn 1 and drop them both on turn 2 so the opponent doesn't have a chance to react. 2 Fervents has won me more insta-concedes than probably any play in the game.

You'll end half the games at 2 mana. Spitfire does nothing the turn it hits when you could be winning with something like Heartfire + Footlight Fiend.

You will absolutely eat poo poo with this deck so don't get discouraged, you might even lose 3 in a row and have multiple games where you go second and/or don't get above 1 land, but over a dozen games you'll see that you really climb once you get the hang of it. So many decks right now are incredibly greedy, simic ramp is like slow motion compared to how fast this can get them to 0 life. One of the hardest matchups is Rakdos Knights because they have a lot of cheap blockers, number 1 tip for that is if they put out a Stormfist, leave her and she'll self-own the opponent with all the extra damage and lightning bolts you're getting.

Thanks. I made a cavalcade deck but my curve is a lot less sharp than yours... I really want to play torbran and chandra3 though :(

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just played against a version of the cavalcade deck that used runaway steamkin to combo off with light up the stage and flood the board on turn 3. Big "wow" from me on that one

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
3 games in a row against azorius control. looks like the wincon du jour is dream trawler

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elephant Ambush posted:

Any tips for adding some card draw to Heliod aggro? I know white sucks at card draw but occasionally I need a little extra steam.

:actually: white can't have card draw because then it would be too powerful, somehow. Making tokens is a form of card advantage too though, somehow!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VictualSquid posted:

While googling that, I stumbled on the official howto post for the tutorial, and it gave me 18 free boosters. Shouldn't that sort of thing be in the OP, or are 18 boosters worth a lot less then they seem?

Got a link to that?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
*Looney Tunes theme starts playing*

That's Standard, Folks!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question in regards to quadrant theory: what kinds of cards, if any, would be considered simultaneously bad when you're ahead and good when you're behind? Is this just the realm of bomb rear end 6+ drops you wait for removal before playing?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Draft noob here, just drafted my first Theros deck. I've been reading up on draft fundamentals and strats and listening to the LR podcast, but I haven't done much Theros-specific studying. I set up 17lands so I have the links to the draft, my pool and my current deck. Please rate this poo poo—all criticism and advice welcome. Haven't played any games yet so I'm ready to make some last minute deck swaps if needed.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marketing New Brain posted:

So I'm only about 5 picks in so far, but I figured I'd mention my thoughts

Re: aspect of lamprey, I was looking for an enabler for Heliod. Didn't realize sunmane's activated ability gave it lifelink until I read it again in pack 3, lol

No need to review the rest of the draft, it kind of falls apart in the middle of pack 2. I felt pretty good about pack 1 though, but I guess I still have some stuff to learn. After I finish the games with this one I'll go and listen to the most recent LR podcasts about Theros, which I'd been saving till after I did this blind draft.

quote:

Drafting takes a lot of practice to get good at, so don't sweat it and keep practicing.

Thanks :kiddo: Any other recommendations for gittin gud at limited (not just Theros draft but in general) would be greatly appreciated.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Quote is not edit

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 3, 2020

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah let me know when you can get copies of actual cards in the daily deals tab with gold

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Truga posted:

i still play my mono green deck and this gets so many people. double lol when they block with multiples to not die, but oops my qb has trample and most damage goes through anyway because it only deals 1 damage to each creature

gently caress that goddamned card

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/barlaventing/status/1237253601304567808?s=21
The guy who won Dreamhack Anaheim came home so excited that his wife wanted to learn how to play magic. It’s been a month and now she’s better than you.

I've been thinking about this post a lot this week as I pendulum inside gold 4

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
(edit: carried over from the last page)

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/barlaventing/status/1237253601304567808?s=21
The guy who won Dreamhack Anaheim came home so excited that his wife wanted to learn how to play magic. It’s been a month and now she’s better than you.

The Clowner posted:

I've been thinking about this post a lot this week as I pendulum inside gold 4

with netdeck rdw

The Klowner fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 14, 2020

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
She went from knowing absolutely nothing about magic to mythic on the ladder in the span of a month. It's an incredible accomplishment.

Also I'm wondering what tool she's using to view her winrate graph

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Discard 100,000 human lives: Arena Brawl becomes free until end of turn.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

VictualSquid posted:

Now that I can afford brawl, I have a question:
What is Brawl?

Commander but with standard legal 60 card decks. Usually 4 players but 1v1 only on Arena.

quote:

Also, I followed the advice on only crafting non-rares at the beginning. Found a nice 0-rare deck based on cavalcade.
And now when I look to check if I can afford new decks I lack the uncommons to do so.
And I have a lot of problems getting anything together without crafting that operates at a comparable level to my aggro deck.

You only get wildcards with packs. If you want to fill out your collection while increasing your wildcard count, you need to either grind ranked draft or insert money into coin slot. That's Arena.

I think everyone should at least have a mono-red aggro deck so they can grind games as fast as possible.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drainpipe posted:

I'd also bet UW control is safe (although Clover will also be). It loses Absorb and T3f, but there's a Teferi core set coming out this year, and you just know one of those will be busted to high hell.

It's gonna be some loving obnoxious bullshit

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When Core Set 2021 is released, the list of standard legal sets will be Guilds, Allegiance, War of the Spark, Core Set 2020, Eldraine, Theros, Ikoria and Core 2021.

When Zendikar is released, the first four will rotate out of standard, leaving the latter four plus Zendikar.

Likewise, the latter four will rotate out later next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Currently 3-3, 0-3, 1-3, and 4-3 from my last four ranked Theros drafts on Arena after installing both 17lands and untapped.gg. I have some questions:

1) I recorded the most recent two drafts. What should I be looking for, if anything, when I go to rewatch? How do I know what I'm doing wrong? I uploaded them to YouTube as well, if anyone is interested.

2) How many drafts do I have to do before I start to get good

3) How the hell do people afford to get good at draft in real life