Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Haven't played Amonkhet in forever. Any thoughts? Maybe swap out resolve for another creature? Or go more in on zombies? At least I remember it's aggressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

If you have a deck you enjoy playing right now, my advice would be to save up and pour your gold into drafts of the next set once it comes out.

It's very achievable to get every rare in a set just by drafting (just don't open your packs until you've done enough drafts), drafting is very fun in its own right, and since the next set will be in Standard for a whole two years, having all those rares will give you a lot of flexibility going forwards for making whatever decks you feel like. For later sets, you can decide whether you want to draft them to completion, or just spend wildcards to get the cards you want.

What's the logic here? Opening packs will spread out the rares I guess. So you get more gems from drafting dupes? I'm sure it's sensible but I'm not quite seeing it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
p1p1 parrot, p2 lion, p3 reflection, p4 lurrus, then I had to hedge with black cards and thought I was totally pushed out of the deck until p3p3 zenith flare (??) so I feel like I am a bit low on payoffs. I think it'll mostly get there though? We'll see.

Also I have a wilt and some off colour crystals. How all in do you have to be on cycling to include cycle {2} cards that are otherwise unplayable?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I just get a black screen...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Siid posted:

I had the same thing. I have my client installed through Epic launcher but generally just run the exe to launch it. I had to re-launch the game through Epic to get it to load and update. So if that is anything similar to yours, maybe try that.

Yup that was it. A 'you need to upgrade' message was too much to ask for I guess lol.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

It would be cool if people hosed around with kitchen table jank more, but when the game's economy explicitly rewards wins, everyone has an incentive to play the best decks available instead. On stop of people just liking to win games anyway of course. Sometimes things do devolve into a terrible meta but that's Magic.

Thanks for the draft set recs yesterday btw.

That and how permanent wildcard redemption rather than dusting or buybacks strongly discourages experimentation.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That's a pretty imprecise question. Could you rephrase it perhaps? Generally speaking they follow a stack, first in last out order.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I had matches against the same dude three times in a row last weekend in the 2022 queue also.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

snyprmag posted:

Is there a way to choose to order of attack triggers on the phone version? Been playing Targ Nar in brawl and it always resolves his boost before creating Battle Cry Goblin's token.

You have to unselect auto stack triggers in the settings then you can choose when multiple happen simultaneously. It adds tedium but wheen it can't infer correctly it's the only way.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
This two second decayed sac animation is gonna get real old real fast lmao.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
3-0 so far with ub removal & zombie control.

Has anyone noticed the windchime sound effect for candletrap never goes away?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It should have said "of different power".

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Insurrectionist posted:

If you picked the second one you could have drawn both every game and been stuck with one in hand though...

Actually how do transform cards work WRT the legend rule? Each side is different?

Yes, they'll have different names on each side.

Anyways I am with everyone else UB is busted and I keep getting 6th pick organ hoarders. All the decayed cards work so well together and you have the best removal. It takes a really good draw to run you over and it's hard to lose the long game.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Still on the UB train myself. Though Tovolar got me to try RG and went pretty well. I've been pretty resistant to mulliganing and I've only really been losing to those clunky one colour draws.

I feel like you can win with just commons so if you get good rares it's like cheating.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

resistentialism posted:

Edge case you might want to know about : If you phase a daybound/nightbound card out it won't be able to transform on the turn it phases back in.
The transformation is something that's only checked when something changes it to day or night, and the automatic change happens in the nebulous start of the turn, just before you'd unphase stuff at the start of the untap step.

If you encountered this online it feels like a bug. Daybound/night found cards always match the state asap.

quote:

702.145c Any time a player controls a permanent that is front face up with daybound and it’s night, that player transforms that permanent. This happens immediately and isn’t a state-based action.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Nergigante posted:

No I mean like those ones that Bust Rodd posted. I noticed it in the Jumpstart sliver pack. Before that all I knew were the bug hive slivers from stronghold

:goonsay: The in-story reason is the m14 redesigned ones are Shandalar slivers, which evolved independently and differently and are more humanoid compared to Rath/Dominaria ones.

The business art-direction reason? I guess they thought it would be more popular that way? They also removed the symmetry and people totally rejected it, it was a big fail. They even cheekily went back to original art on sliver hive which was printed in the next core set for 3 month overlap iirc.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
That seems like extremely low numbers of support cards for them actually. I'd want a good 10-15 other disturb & spirit cards to think of using them.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Running Hot

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
0-3 with UR, 7-0 with UB. The draft gods have spoken.

I've become convinced that if you're on the draw and don't have a play on 1 or 2 you are basically dead against any half competent deck. Additionally flip the switch is only good if you've got a bit of power on the board already so you need many many 1 and 2 drops.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cuts? I'm thinking

cathar commando
unruly mob
startle
galedrifter maybe
??

How good is the sifters mending all graveyard approach anyway? Should I cut the non disturb things instead and go all in?

Already cut third trapper, and some 5 drops in soul guide gryff and stormrider spirit.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Trip report:

1-3 with the UW above, after cutting the mendings and some other stuff. Pretty poor draws I think contributed, but it felt very underpowered and even after looting I never had time to deploy my creatures. Jumped right back in and went 7-1 with pretty good UB, again. :downs: Of all the times I've drafted it I've only been cut once so hard that it didn't overperform.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yes they give you some hoops in order to get the bonus of the backside. Do the bonuses justify the hoops? Well, not in this set apparently and unfortunately.

At least this time round if you get it to night the rest of your ones in hand come down big already, and you can get there deterministically. Lots of them have activated abilities to spend your mana on as well

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah I will definitely try tomorrow, I'm EU so season ends 8PM here, enough time to get some games in at least.

That said I am already streaking and I don't trust my luck to keep running high tomorrow as well because uhh

I went like 7-9 on my first three drafts and then 7-1 on my fourth, all on release day. These are every single premier draft I've done since that day lol.

Yeah what a tear great job. I was killing it until specifically I hit diamond 3 and am still barely in diamond 2 after 9 more drafts. loving meathook massacre lol.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
idk I made platinum with the landfall starter deck in like a week and a half stopping after 4 wins it didn't seem that hard. I figure I'll be able to put something actually good together once I cash in my MID packs at some point.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It was also in the 2022 queue, which was probably softer? Idk.

I'm still enjoying MID drafts but I'm doing fewer of them per week now.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Have you never encountered a salty player before?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

brugroffil posted:

momir is insane but fun for a couple of games

Yeah it's fun for a bit. I find it very play/draw dependent. I went one win then 6 losses all in a row on the draw before finally getting my second icr lol. Hoverguard sweepers was an allstar lmao.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

BizarroAzrael posted:

Hit a bug earlier, enemy Sludge Monster put a slime counter on one of my transformed disturb creatures, so it lost abilities and went to the yard when it died. But although I can see the card in there, I can't disturb it again.

Someone posted about this on discord also so I believe you. Seems like the first thing you'd unit test with sludge monster but what do I know.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

darkroast posted:

Might be your timing, I haven't had any issues moving to combat and setting a stop after combat damage to corpse cobble decayed tokens. Do it before declaring attacks even, so it doesn't blow through it. Should put a ring around the phase you set the stop in. But like trying to time hitting full control - the animations etc play long after the client has run the math so if you don't set it in advance it'll blow right thru because it's already past that phase
Yes same. You can put it in the combat damage or eoc step, even.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Whooping Crabs posted:

This is also what I used and only lost games where I was going second in a mirror match. Destroyed turns decks.

lost every game on the draw, pretty easy wins on the play yeah. Why I was on the draw 8 times again just like momir no idea.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Sinteres posted:

Man, I had a second game today where I was playing a mill deck and my last draw was the last card in my deck before I won. Feels loving good.

My ultimate magic achievement is winning a match casting the last card in my hand, for all my mana, on my own upkeep with an empty library, at one life, for exactsies.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

On the Mastery Pass:

Assuming you max it out, you'll get:
- 20 packs
- A player draft token
- 1200 gems refunded
- 10 Mythics
- 4000 gold
- Cosmetic stuff

If you spend your gems and gold on drafts generally, then the player draft token is worth 1500 gems, and the 4k gold is worth 600 gems. So it nets out at 20 packs + 10 mythic cards + cosmetic rewards for 100 gems, well worth getting if you're going to max it out.

Quoting from a while back on this season's pass. I guess it's a good deal? I haven't been playing long enough to compare with any previous ones and I value the cosmetics at zero. I haven't ever gotten over the stupid mentality of hoarding rare+ wildcards either so dont' really know where to value the packs and icrs either. 100 gems is basically nothing though.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Is it just me or is the payout of the upcoming draft challenge just loving miserable?

Assuming 50% winrate over the entire playerbase, a mathematical certainty, we have the following distribution of outcomes:

pre:
1/1 (0,0)
1/2 (0,1)  1/2 (1,0)
1/4 (0,2)  1/2 (1,1)  1/4 (2,0)
1/4 (0,2)  1/4 (1,2)  3/8 (2,1)   1/8 (3,0)
1/4 (0,2)  1/4 (1,2)  3/16 (2,2)  1/4 (3,1)  1/16 (4,0)
1/4 (0,2)  1/4 (1,2)  3/16 (2,2)  1/8 (3,2)  5/32 (4,1)  1/32 (5/0)
1/4 (0,2)  1/4 (1,2)  3/16 (2,2)  1/8 (3,2)  5/64 (4,2)  3/32 (5,1)  1/64 (6/0)
1/4 (0,2)  1/4 (1,2)  3/16 (2,2)  1/8 (3,2)  5/64 (4,2)  3/64 (5,2)  3/64 (6,1) 1/64 (6/0)

1/4 * 0
1/4 * .5
3/16 * .5 + 3x
1/8 * 1 + 6x
5/64 * 1.5 + 10x
3/64 * 1.5 + 15x
1/16 * 2 + 20x
So for every entry of 3k gems or 2 draft tokens worth they give out 21/32 ~= .65 entries in output. Yikes. Also on average ~4 packs but whatever.

Maybe premiere draft is this bad also and I never bothered to work it out but that is a huge vig.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Do you think you're smarter than literally everyone at WotC? you are, apparently lol :smugmrgw:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Retcon posted:

Now that I'm done drafting this set I looked up my most drafted cards on 17lands

Pretty boring but I think Festival Crasher ended up being underrated for a lot of the format. The easiest way to win with R/x decks (IMO) is to get as many Crashers as possible in a spell heavy deck. U/R is the obvious one but in other color combinations as well.

Oh man didn't know there was this view. You can tell I did nearly all my drafting in the first two weeks of the format...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I play baral (don't @ me) and see roughly

1/4 gothos
1/4 omnath
1/4 sythis

The rest a mix of kinan, emry, 4 cmc nicol bolas, and one offs. That's over the last 50ish days getting my 4 daily wins.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I don't understand how you can launch in this state. How different can your internal and public realms be that you miss something so widespread. It demonstrates such shoddy engineering practices I'm surprised, even with the low esteem I already hold for hasbro and tech related stuff.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I am selling out my decks completely against mono-white and I still can't beat them. Good golly

It can be done! I love this video in its entirely actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1_yFv2lHTY

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

This is the first time I've watched a video of a random dude playing Magic. What has my life come to?

Edit: I wasn't paying complete attention, I have it running in the background. Is my thought on this correct: if they cast Galvanic Iteration and then Epiphany, you can use the Horror's bounce effect or Divide by Zero to bounce the copy to their hand and that kills the copy, right?

That Azorius deck looks incredibly annoying to play against.

Yeah how he deals with double galvanic iterated epiphany twice in two turns was really impressive. The next match is even better. Also all UW control decks are annoying to play against that's kind of it's raison d'etre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah same I just played a ridiculous control mirror and got 0 quest progress. My daily wins counter isn't even visible lol.