Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Just took a look at this since rotation and it seems like it's Field of the Dead all the way down?

If I have 3 Hydroid Krasis from playing Gates previously, should I just craft 4 FotD and get it over with already?

Is there even any deck that counters it?

edit: Holy poo poo that Yoshitaka Amano card sleeve..

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Really though would I regret blowing all my 18 Rare wildcards on that? They wouldn't ban it right?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
OK, this land deck is filthy and I feel like an rear end in a top hat for playing it. I haven't lost a game yet but they take foreeeeeever.

I wish there was a deck like Mono-U, that deck made people concede faster than any deck in the game when you drew the nuts.

edit: just got an auto-concede by getting a turn 2 Teferi so I guess that's something..

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 8, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Also that land deck usually runs those Wrath Giants, but I decided to try the two Planar Cleansing I had lying around and in two separate games now I took out dual Cavalcades with them, winning me the games when I would have been chipped out with Giant.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

I'm also betting we see some land hate in Theros. Field of the Dead was from back in M20 and they had to have seen how good it was and there was still time to make changes to Theros.

But yeah at this point if you have the wildcards just play a Golos Field deck. I've already crafted all the non-Eldraine cards for it, just waiting for drafts to fill out my rares. Hell, if Theros doesn't have any good land hate or really pushed aggro solutions Golos Field will still probably be Tier 1 until the set after Theros.

Edit: and it is entirely possible the Johnnys/Jennys of the world can cook up a good aggro deck to get under Golos Field. This set has only been out two weeks.

Playing up the ladder I'm getting some tough opposition in mid-silver... I am 50/50 on aggro decks but there's a mono-blue mill deck which is tough to deal with due to the counterspells, and there's the usual superfriends planeswalker bullshit. If someone sticks an early Narset or a Chandra Awakened later on, those are both pains in the rear end. Narset at one loyalty and they keep chumping so I can't get a Hydra off is obnoxious.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Yeah that's the mill deck that beat my Fields deck. Fields mills itself pretty hard. I put in a single "shuffle your graveyard into your library" cantrip for that deck and the mirror (I decked myself in a mirror).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

When I did my run of the win every card event, my Golos Fields got rocked hard by a deck that just continually played Kaya's wrath, planar cleansing, doom foretold, oath of kaya, and other board wipers. And then they dance'd them back in twice, first time as creatures to knock me below 10 and second time as just enchantments but it was still enough.

This was my experience as well, Dance owned me. You see that Doom Foretold card and are like "is that supposed to be a threat?" but it's really the 5 billion Wraths clearing a path for Dance of the Manse.

Of course the moment I blow my wildcards on this Fields deck is the moment the meta starts to get wise to it.

Still there's room for me to get better at piloting the deck. Most of your own creatures are great candidates to bounce with Teferi/TimeWipe, and Teferi also enables stuff like Circuitous Route at the end of their turn.

With all that said, the deck doesn't feel any more powerful than just vanilla Gates decks, and in fact someone with a Gates deck outraced me with an early Ram and a hasted Colossus.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

Yeah, I can definitely see how I could've altered the deck to play better but I have no idea how it's supposed to be a favorable matchup. Obviously luck is a factor but they play a few wishes and other spells to fish for the right answer but even without that, they were able to keep wiping my board and I just didn't have anything with haste to deal with it.

I made a new deck that has 1 of every Guildgate, Gatebreaker Ram, Colossus, Gates Ablaze and Fields for good measure and it seems to be outperforming normal fields on my ladder. Ram and Colossus are way stronger out of the gate, so to speak.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I can't believe there's a deck that mains Ego. Everyone here was so sure that card was pointless last rotation.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
You fuckers, you told me literally 2 days ago to go ahead and blow all my wildcards on a Golos deck. "Don't worry, if they ban it you'll get the wild cards back"... yeah for one set... not the other 20 rares! I'm ruined!

edit: OK so, for best of 1, what is the absolute fastest deck to either win, or prompt a Concede, or make it obvious to me I should concede. Something like last rotation's Mono-U or Mono-R where it is super obvious to the opponent when they are hosed.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Oct 9, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GreyjoyBastard posted:

i'd feel bad for you but you willingly chose to play golos fields so you deserve everything you get and more

You guys said I should! That and I couldn't seem to "not lose" playing anything else.

Eh whatever, I slapped together some mono-red jank with 15 mountains and no other land and I just won 4 games in a row in Gold. It certainly has more Wins Per Second (WPS) than fields.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

MRLOLAST posted:

Hi MtG goons. I am a recent HS transplant and want to get in to MtG. I haven't played Magic since University and even then I just dabled in it a bit with a mono black Rotlung Reanimate deck.
So I installed the client + played the tutorial through. Where do I go from here? Open my wallet and get busy?

You don't have to spend anything if you're patient. I put in a few hours each weekend to do all the quests and I have 160 packs worth of gold at the moment.

If you like mono-black with graveyard recursion there's some cool stuff right now like this thing where you cook cats into pies and then other cats rise from the dead to eat the pies, and somehow you win.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Lone Goat posted:

I'd rather play five 20 minute games than twenty 5 minute games.

He's delusional, get him out of here!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Astonishingly I'm playing games of MTGA perfectly fine on my phone, using Moonlight to stream the game from my home PC, even over the data plan. The only problem is that you can't directly tap and drag the cards, you have to move a cursor around and double-tap-hold to drag cards. I think there's a way to make a AutoHotKey script to emulate the clicking, but I'm still figuring that out because apparently no one has thought to try it yet.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The Sean posted:

I am very interested in this if it can become extremely usable. I tried doing this over wifi at work but it was way too slow. That might because I have a surface pro, though.

While I suck at MtG I am an expert in game streaming. I set up a lot of things to optimize it:

- Streaming PC is at home, on ethernet, and with FIOS internet (1000/1000mbit fiber, that's overkill of course but the 1ms latency to my work ISP the main benefit)

- Streaming PC uses a headless HMDI adapter (search Amazon)

- Streaming PC uses an RTX 2080. The RTX series streams in HEVC h.265 which halves the required bandwidth, and the encoding latency is much better than the 10-series

- Streaming PC is on Dynamic DNS (free service with the Asus RT-AC68U router) so I don't have to guess IP to connect

- Phone is an Asus Rog Phone 2, which has a 120hz OLED screen (though I only stream at that framerate when on Wifi) and it has the lowest touchscreen latency of any phone in existence

It is funny to pull out my phone and an Xbox controller at a friend's house and play stuff like the Resident Evil 2 remake with no perceptible latency and tell them it was ported to Android and have them completely believe it.

zoux posted:

You try steamlink?

Not sure how that would be relevant as I'm streaming from my home to my phone when it is on wifi/data. However, the Steam controller would be a fairly ideal controller for the phone since it can function as a trackpad.

Huxley posted:

You can't even goldfish a T5 kill right now.

I am fairly certain that Calamity decks can goldfish a T4 with Scorch Spitters and Chandra's Spitfire from hell

edit: yeah: T1 Scorch Spitter, T2 Cavalcade (3 damage total), T3 Spitfire (6 damage total) and T4 Scampering Scorcher (34 damage total)

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 10, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Network42 posted:

The steam link app will stream your pc to you phone and has a slick phone interface so you can just click and drag cards.

Ahh, I see what you mean now. There's a piece of hardware called Steam Link, but then Valve in their brilliance also made a mobile app called "Steam Link", which does not require a Steam Link; only a phone and PC.

I just tried it out, and on Wifi it works perfectly. There is an input mode called "Direct Cursor" which works like what I was trying to get Moonlight to do. I just put my finger and drag the cards around. It actually feels like a mobile app. The only UI element I don't like are "Attack All" and "No Attacks" are right next to each other and easy to fat-finger, not that I did but if I were walking around then I might.

On 4G from my phone with wifi off, Steam Link App did some wizardry to figure out how to connect to the PC. It did reconnect, but with no video (smartphone screen was black, but moving my finger around on it, I could see the cursor move on the PC). The problem is it was reporting 78% packet loss. I immediately closed the app and opened up the Moonlight streaming app, and that streamed fine on the 4G with minimal packet loss.

So, Moonlight still seems to have the edge when playing over mobile data. Steam Link is much better when playing on (local, and possibly remote) wifi because of the Direct Cursor mode. I'll see what else I can uncover, but so far it is promising.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
They just announced a new Un set and said it is "available online"... I assume they just mean you can buy physical cards online, but it would be sick if they made all the cards MTGA compatible (i.e. nothing where you have to reference real-life player attributes).

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/announcing-unsanctioned-2019-10-10

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yup I just swung in on turn 4 with a 17/3 Chandra's Spitfire, nice to see a lifegain deck eat poo poo like that.

Also I have 15 lands in my loving deck, how do I keep pulling 2-3 in all my starting hands?

edit:

This garbage I had lying around is like 50/50 vs Golos BO1:

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 11, 2019

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

salt shakeup posted:

BO1 fixes your opening hand and draws

Feels so abusive to run 15 lands and keep getting away with it:

Can't wish your way out of this one!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

The biggest mistake of Eldraine seems to be that there aren't any really good viable Aggro decks. Knights are cool but aren't fast enough to outspeed Golos and everything else is pretty crappy value. I guess there's a RDW but it's not very good compared to what it was prior to rotation.

Even in BO1, if I make a deck with 15 lands, a billion 1-drop creatures, Light up the Stage and Skewer the Critics, and I draw the angriest hand imaginable, if Golos gets Arboreal Grazer on Turn 1 or 2, that blocking is going to stall me for them to get zombies online around turn 5-6. If it wasn't for the Grazer I would have them dead by turn 5.

Wasn't Sakura Tribe Elder banned in some relevant formats for the same reason (i.e. unfairly stall aggro for minimal cost while land ramping)?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
How does crafting Seven Dwarves work? Do you get the other 3 when you craft 4 (like how you get infinite Persistent Peitioners / Rat Colony) or do you need to craft all 7 of them? I'm a little low on common wildcards in fact.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

Also the difference between playing at a deliberate pace and people who are obviously afking into the queue and watching TV during your turn is pretty pronounced. There's no way you should be roping on my first turn, and the game should punish you for it, but never will so oh well. Especially since such punishments would almost immediately start racking up on streamers who would then begin piss-baby crying about it.

Just to be clear I'm saying slower players are fine but people clearly tabbing out are not. MTGO had a huge issue with this for decades so it is just never, ever getting fixed. Ever.

This, I don't think it would be so hard to have "fast players", "slow thinkers" and "griefers / rage quitters" generally paired together.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Time posted:

Why should people who quit out of games be ranked with actual annoying people. Quitting out of a game you lost so you can play one you have a shot at is smart

That's called "concede", as in hit the concede button. As opposed to "x out of the game so the opponent has to sit through all your ropes".

People who concede obviously shouldn't be penalized, but people who grief by roping and people who rage quit by alt-tabbing should be treated the same.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zyla posted:

isnt that just begging for removal tho?

There's no removing those motherfucking Innkeepers they just come back with that B Adventure card that gravedigs them.

BioThermo posted:

:yeah:
As a F2Player, I just opened my fourth Irencrag Feat of the month. Kill me.

If it was 6 mana for 3 instead of 7 for 4 I would run the gently caress out of those just to drop turn 3 Chandra Infernos on people. There's like... 1 or 2 seven mana monored cards in all of standard right now.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

Modern is the healthiest format in the game besides Commander

Yeah that was whack that MTGA did Commander (or Brawl or EDH whatever the gently caress it's called) for a couple days and never followed up. I'd play that exclusively if I could. Especially if they did constructed or drafts instead of just the precons.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

Good news! There are brawl events next weekend which are *check notes* in your local store and give... Two commons and a rare on arena as well as... Card styles? Oh and you have to buy one of the precons, likely at an inflated price, or maybe not as the events are slightly unclear.

Also the codes will be emailed out, they aren't in the packages because... um... stuff

Yay! Arena is firing on all cylinders this season!

The last time I tried to play magic at a local card store I felt like a pedophile. Yes, mid-thirties guy, just go into this basement with a bunch of 14 year olds to play with them, nothing strange about that.

edit: Said 14 year olds, of course, kicked my rear end in MtG.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
That's a good question... who is the edgiest Planeswalker of all time?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I was on the fence about whether or not I like Ral (since I've never used him and he's annoying to go up against) but now that I looked he's got some of the funniest voice lines in the game and he's canonically gay so that guy's cool.

On another topic I threw this deck together with more garbage I had lying around:

Inexplicably it has somehow beaten:

Golos
Simic Flash
Mono-U Flash
Planewalkers feat. Bolas
Mono-U Mill, twice
Fires
RDW

And has put me on a crazy win streak up to Gold 1 so far... I've only lost to Doom Foretold. The deck doesn't even make any sense, I'm just constantly drawing the right answer and gaining card advantage. Revenge of Ravens shuts down poo poo including Golos, and Forever Young is one of the most bonkers deck-stacking cards I've ever seen, super-underrated.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Cheen posted:

Which planeswalkers gently caress

I covered this like 5 posts before you, Ral is railing Tomik.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

You chain together casting creatures for Zero to get tons of Beast Whisper triggers and kill them with cruel celebrant triggers, it’s a combo deck

Yeah I'm happy to see an honest to goodness combo deck.

Are there any infinite combo decks since the rotation?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
So uh, who's winning? What's the best deck that's not getting banned?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
The top 10 right now is 7 Fields decks and 3 Oko decks? Am I interpreting that correctly?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Can anyone post all the top 8 decks?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Zero VGS posted:

Can anyone post all the top 8 decks?

Nevermind, did it myself copy-pasting the hard way:

#1) Bant Ramp by Stanislav Cifka: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2379089#paper

#2) Bant Food by Andrea Mengucci: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2379118#paper

#3) Mardu Knights by Ken Yukuhiro: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2379146#paper

#4) Simic Food by Gabriel Nassif: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2379124#paper

#5) Simic Food by William Jensen: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2379110#paper

#6) Bant Golos by Jean-emmanuel Depraz: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2379094#paper

#7) Mono-Red Cavalcade by Lee Shi Tian: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2379137#paper

#8) Gruul Aggro by Javier Dominguez: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2379096#paper

Only one Golos made it... and mono red?!

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

The ramp decks are going to dumpster all those aggro decks that got through, poor things.

I like how decks 4 and 5 are carbon copies of each other down to the sideboards. They couldn't just change one sideboard card to at least give the illusion of originality?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
I'm still lolling at that guy 50 pages back who was complaining how it's "impossible" to get a turn 5 win when Lee Shi Tian just smoked Nassif on turn 4. Shame Tian was eliminated by his own land floods in the next two games.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Yay Gruul!

Also I just got a card reward who's rules text doesn't fit on the card lol:

Since no one posted it here's the MtG commercial with Carl Weathers and the girl from It Chapter 1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgQrZR14GEo

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Loko Oko is Broko, no Joko

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

I saw someone in twitch chat comment on a player's goofy yellow hat and say it would go well with the interviewer's yellow dress. Then the mods banned him. Then the official commentators said exactly the same thing lol.

Them the twitch mods were on high alert turbobanning everyone who was trying to stealthily insult Autumn during their segment.

I don't envy the mods is all I'm saying. It's like being in a room where everyone is trying to piss and poo poo on you and you have to swat it all away without getting any splash on the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
So I guess if I want to keep winning games I just convert my FotD wildcards into Nissas?