Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

So I'm just getting into Arena and trying to figure out what to do with my wildcards.

Do you guys think trying to build out a full set of shock lands is worth it at this point?

You should only spend wildcards to complete a deck you want to play. They don't expire, there's no reason to cash them in prior to needing one.

Personally, I tend to try to make a budget version of a deck to see if I like it prior to really completing it. Shocklands (and other dual lands) in perticular are relatively easy to replace and still get a feel for the deck: the deck will be worse, obviously, but you'll still get the feel of it just fine compared to trying to do without some of the keystone rares/mythics. If you like the deck, then yeah grab the lands, but that'll let you avoid wasting wildcards on a deck that looks cool but you don't actually like once you play with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Shooting Blanks posted:

Counterpoint: Shocklands will be around for another year and enable any deck that isn't monocolor to be better. More WCs will come. Then again, we don't know yet if there will be new duals with the next set so :iiam:

yeah but why bother getting them prior to building the deck that they make better? if you have 40 rare wildcards, why spend them getting every shockland rather than the specific shocklands for the decks you want to play, plus the rares in those decks?

when they were gonna do 2:1 for historic cards there was a potential reason to cash in wildcards in advance, but now there's literally zero benefit to ever spending a wildcard before you actually want to play with a deck that needs one

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

They errated literally thousands of cards to have creature types they aren't printed with but yeah I can see how making a positive integer into a negative would break everyone's brains lol

and that was dumb as gently caress and confusing and if they hadn’t reprinted tons of them with the new types I think they’d have stopped doing that too

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

creatures with an adventure is a pretty fuckin' narrow niche and is not just plain "creatures" so it would be trivial to justify in white

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

It's still a green identity

nobody is saying its improper the effect is in green, they are saying it could also fit in white and, given the color balance of this standard, should have been shifted to white to decrease the power of green and increase the power of white

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

"White has gotten card draw even though I only have 2 examples that key off a very specific type of creature so this should be white" is a hell of a take

a very specific type of creature, you say

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MikeCrotch posted:

Just thinking, have 2 cards ever been banned in Standard from a core set before?

Fake edit: ABU doesn't count

doubt it since for so long core sets were just collections of reprints, so you've got a very limited number of potential sets to look at

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

They even backed off on the "Historic games don't count for your quests or wins" so honestly I might never touch standard again in Arena

i knew i should have crafted four okos the day before the banning :argh:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Jabor posted:

Microtransaction games (including all f2p games) are inherently bad because "extracting money" has taken precedence over "making the game fun".

That doesn't mean that the game isn't fun - it definitely can be. It's just that making it fun isn't the highest priority, and you should be mindful to not get suckered in to keep on playing once you no longer find it fun, or would be asked to spend more than is reasonable in order to keep having fun.

magic is already basically a microtransaction game, so the translation of it into a microtransaction game is shockingly not awful because they didn't need to add new random pressure points to make you pay more money

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Insurrectionist posted:

Figures. Seems like chaos draft would be an extremely simple thing to implement for arena, so I can only conclude that the reason they never have and are doing these weird modes instead is because they want more casual players to play these weekend draft events and don't think something like chaos draft would seem fun enough to attract the limited-wary. Well, that's my thought for Omniscience anyway, I must admit I can't see how '10 life draft' might appeal to this group, but then I don't see how it could appeal to anyone so maybe the problem is with me.

well, it would be simple if you limited it solely to sets implemented in the game already, but that narrow of a card pool would kill some of the fun of it

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

You can play banned cards in limited.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

so what happens when my 4x field of the dead, for which i recieved 4x wildcards when it was banned from standard, gets banned from historic

is it that i get 4x more :sun:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I went 3-0 with the white deck without conceding or aggressively mulliganing idgi

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

There's a calculator out there but at basic level you abuse the duplicate protection to guarantee you open every rare once you start cracking packs. If there's 20x4 rares in a set (80) and you get a rare every 7 out of 8 pack openings you will want to open packs once (80 - # of rares you own <= # packs you have * 7/8)

do these formulas assume you cash in the random wildcards you open, or that you stockpile those?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

TheTofuShop posted:

Pack 1 Pick 2
Arcanists Owl 5 Votes
Flutterfox 3 Votes
Joust 3 Votes
Mad Ratter 3 Votes
Return to Nature 2 Votes

https://www.strawpoll.me/19176246

Selections:
P1P1: Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig
P1P2: Arcanist's Owl

I'll try to update quicker - and included all cards in the poll this time. :unsmith:

flaxen intruder, obviously

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Oceanbound posted:

Are WoTC really going to make people pay to unlock the vanilla THB basics?

they're definitely making you pay to unlock the constellation ones

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

drainpipe posted:

Isn't ranked draft 750 gems OR 5000 gold? I'd say 5000 gold is probably worth more since it can buy you 5 packs whereas 750 can only buy you 3.

yeah 5000 gold is 'worth more' than 750 gems, making buying into ranked draft with gold suboptimal - but it's also the only way to convert gold to gems if you want to f2p

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

flatluigi posted:

If you're playing best of 1, arena does a (very small) thing to lower the amount of non-games by virtually drawing you two separate possible opening hands from your deck and presenting to you the one that has a better amount of lands for what it thinks your deck is going for. This is only for the first hand, pre-mulligan; any further hands are just a regular old draw and it does no fixing for the rest of the game. People tend to attempt to exploit this by running a lot fewer lands than normally recommended in paper if their decks have a very low curve as it makes it more likely they'll get the two lands they'll need for the entire game and less likely they'll have the dead draws in the future.

Thing is, it's really not that much more likely and (especially with the new london mulligan) in the long run it's not significantly different than what you'd get with just natural variance IMO.

to clarify the bolded I believe it's "whatever hand has closer to the average lands a hand from that deck would expect", i.e. it's just based on the percentage of lands in your deck, not anything more complex about what colors you want or what amount of land your deck "wants"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

was this sealed deck just as good of a pool as it felt, or was my 7-1 all pure skill baby (mostly, skill at drawing polukranos nearly every game)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Azuth0667 posted:

I see slow players are still everywhere in this game.

i had two games in my sealed pod where when i'd won the opponent stalled until they ran out of timeouts, and then tried to do one action and see if i'd gotten bored and wandered off so i would run out of time and concede

the first one i'd come back from like 23-2 and they were clearly ticked

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Hammer Bro. posted:

Don't know if it's a bug in MtGA or if this is how the rules are supposed to play out, but I blocked a Dream Trawler with an Archon of Falling Stars. When it died I returned an Ichthyomorphosis to the battlefield and attached it straight to the Trawler. They definitely had cards in their hand but the client didn't pause to give them priority.

Do returned-to-the-battlefield enchantments not target creatures the same way cast spells do?

they do not. it's a bizarre corner case interaction that is a pet peeve of mine, but basically if you somehow put an aura on the battlefield not attached to anything (generally, returned from your graveyard) you can then attach it to something without targeting. note this is different from an aura on the battlefield suddenly enchanting something that's not a legal target or that died (where the aura goes to the graveyard instead)

this which lets you enchant hexproof or shroud creatures, for example, because that just blocks targeting but doesn't (like protection does) make the enchantment itself illegal

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Opponents roping through their multiple timeouts with a lethal attack about to happen should be annoying, but in my last game it happened in this board state:

which made it absolutely hilarious.

Read the cards, people

idgi, what card didn't they read?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kashuno posted:

Had a few good drafts today but just opened this and honestly don't have a clue what to first pick. I'm kinda between Final Death and Incendiary Oracle maybe?? Pack 1 Pick 1

raredraft the hell out of the temple

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

got a dream trawler p1p1 and was like "well i guess i'm white blue now"

things were going pretty well through pack 2

p3p1: dream trawler again

if i don't get 7 wins with this deck i should just uninstall arena

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i shamefully went 7-1 with my two dream trawler deck, the loss coming in a game i accidentally cast something other than the dream trawler in my hand

i won the last game when i cast my second dream trawler, my opponent emoted "nice!" spent 30 seconds considering, and conceded

can't blame em

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

So this is where I've wandered tinkering with Izzet and using a portion of my rare wildcard allotment mostly for dual lands. The Arclight Phoenix was a lucky unpack.

I solicit advice from kind souls on how to beef it up with judicious use of my remaining wildcards. I'm also playing Rakdos (posting that one next) and want to budget for it and for Boros and Orhzov after that.

You'd know better than me how the deck plays, but the arclight phoenix seems like kind of a dead card in this deck. i would replace it with a crackling drake (which does play nicely with phoenix of ash)

perhaps add a guttersnipe or two, they eat removal like nobody's business but that may be fine with you the turn before you drop a flier

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i have been playing with minion's return in my most recent draft, and I think it's underwhelming in practice compared to how good it seems it might be. you're rarely going to be yoinking some great creature from your opponent unless you're already handily winning.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean I'm glad you are excited about a new mode, but just playing with a deck someone drafted that happened to 7-x is not going to move the needle on making you better at limited. Actually drafting is the hard part, and the only way you get better at that is practice or studying.

playing with the limited decks that work will show you why they work and why cards you're undervaluing pay off

it doesn't tell you everything but it does give you insight you're not going to get on cards you consistently misvalue

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul Zuvella posted:

You don't have to watch for 4 hours, literally only watch them do the draft part. You get better at magic by playing magic, that you can do on your own, but the only thing you can do to get better at drafting is either draft or watch other people draft.

You don't get better at cooking by eating other peoples food, no matter how good it is.

this is dumb in several ways. the most significantly stupid way it's dumb in is that who cares if watching other people draft may be better at learning to draft well; this way may be more fun.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

InterrupterJones posted:

This always feels true whenever a new set comes out, but just playing steadily over however many weeks/months usually gives enough random packs / gold or gems for buying packs that you can just cobble together enough WCs easily enough. I do wish they'd let us buy wildcards with gems, but I suspect they don't want it to turn into pay-to-win.

its that if you can buy wildcards direct there is never a reason to buy packs ever again and they can't hook you on the gambling aspect

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Bramble posted:

This is great news and I don't think they can gently caress it too badly considering how well the existing ui works when playing on my iPad via steamlink. A phone version I have a hard time imagining, though.

It works great with just touchscreen on a windows laptop, touch is already enabled.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spiderdrake posted:

Hexproof is bad design and WOTC never learns.

Can't wait til the next artifact set so we can watch it get a bunch of cards banned just like every other artifact block/set.

it's effectively a slightly worse regenerate effect rather than a full hexproof effect

but uh a 5/5 draw a card on attack regenerating flier is pretty bad on its own

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

I see. I can accept that if it's The Rules. It's a shame about the non-keywording because here in the digital game you can figure out what any card with five keywords does by mousing over it. Limits of simultaneously existing in print I guess - but I can understand it, because honestly I wouldn't have gotten in to this if I had to learn the thousand keywords in this game now without digital assistance.

Do they print new keywords and forget 'em every set? Or is there a "rotation" of sorts where Spectacle (for example) existed before and will exist again, besides "core" keywords that were there in the 90s like First Strike? This game seems to have a shitload of keywords.

keywords come back sometimes, but not on any set schedule. just whenever they feel like reusing them if they were popular.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

i beat a resolved dream trawler in limited ama

(it was their only creature and i used that edict effect)

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kashuno posted:

I would've never expected Regenerate to be a 10. Wonder why

because it is a simple concept that becomes stupidly complex when you start actually working out the rules

it's been replaced by "~ becomes indestructible until end of turn. tap it" or "~ becomes hexproof until end of turn. tap it" which are nearly functionally the same thing

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

flatluigi posted:

okay so unchained berserker can in fact be blocked by the wall making your first post extremely odd

actually it makes even more sense that opponents would be very puzzled why the unchained berserker is unblockable!

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah in situations like this you have to ask yourself a couple questions:

Q) what is Gruul better at than RDW?
A) it has a stronger mid game and a stronger draw engine

Q) Is dragging the games out so that I can capitalize on these strengths a better plan than just killing my opponent?
A) No

i could see it being a cheap second deck to have fun with on arena after chaining 15 wins with RDW gets boring

but i just got around to crafting the latest rdw and god almighty it's just a buzzsaw

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Wacky Delly posted:

What's the current version? I pulled out what rotated out and replaced it, but never confident in my non-netdecking.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-red-aggro-141018#paper

if you include robber of the rich seems to be the biggest difference between versions

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah I was wrong about Torb. I cut the infuriates to make my build closer to the worlds builds and 4 Cleave/3 Torb has me swatting people like flies.

torb is just a lot of fun on arena because people constantly forget it/gently caress up the math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m still not entirely sure I’ve ever encountered roping to the degree people in this thread seem to think it occurs. How can they tell the difference between intentional and unintentional slow play?

When it starts immediately on the game reversing hard against them. If someone is responsive right up until they're about to lose and suddenly ropes through three timeouts and takes an action right at the end of their time running out, then gently caress em.