Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

To continue the theme my last omnidraft was miserable, just a pile of crap with nothing good, 0-3. It was a real downer because I ran probably a good 10 drafts and my worst record prior was 4-3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

The flavor texts indicates that Gwyn is female.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Lol massacre girl, golos, lantern. That is a Very Ali deck.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

I'm betting it ends with "hosed" and starts with "get" but I would love for wizards to prove me wrong.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Just post the list. Always post the list, never not post the list.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Not sure how that would be relevant as I'm streaming from my home to my phone when it is on wifi/data. However, the Steam controller would be a fairly ideal controller for the phone since it can function as a trackpad.

The steam link app will stream your pc to you phone and has a slick phone interface so you can just click and drag cards.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Completely random but I just got a 15th pick merfolk secretkeeper, what in the gently caress is arena even doing?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Omnidraft m20 might be my favorite format ever. You just have to accept that you're often playing rocket tag. Sometime you get to play broken bullshit, and sometime the bullshit plays you.

The main thing to realize about omnidraft is that literally anything that draws a card is a great pick, but the bots are still off normal pick order. So cards that are terrible but cantrip like befuddle and and that flying aura are amazing late picks because the bots think they're in a regular format. A lot of your later pick are about taking what is least bad for your deck.

Also, going t1 dragon mage, act of treason your own dragon mage, mind rot, mind rot, rule of law loving rules.

Network42 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Nov 8, 2019

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Regular momir has some skill component at least. This event just seems like roulette for fancy .jpegs.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Who the gently caress picked these cards?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Looking to get some feedback on this (very awkward) draft and deck construction.

Is my artifact suite good enough to play double all that glitters? I'm thinking 3 gingerbrute, cauldron, broom, rack, but I'm not sure if it's worth it over ritual and true love's kiss.

I'm playing in BO1, revenge of ravens doesn't really match up with my deck's gameplan at all, but it does just straight win the game against some decks, worth putting in?

I feel like the cards currently in the deck point to a pretty solid gameplan, but I'm not sure which way to take it.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Network42 posted:

Looking to get some feedback on this (very awkward) draft and deck construction.

Is my artifact suite good enough to play double all that glitters? I'm thinking 3 gingerbrute, cauldron, broom, rack, but I'm not sure if it's worth it over ritual and true love's kiss.

I'm playing in BO1, revenge of ravens doesn't really match up with my deck's gameplan at all, but it does just straight win the game against some decks, worth putting in?

I feel like the cards currently in the deck point to a pretty solid gameplan, but I'm not sure which way to take it.

Quoting myself for day crew.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Jinnigan posted:

ok, draftsim, this time with commentary: https://draftsim.com/draft-log.php?id=91ngOwzY3

A lot to unpack.

So, first off, I don't claim to be great at magic, but there are several things going on here.

First, if drafting is specifically a skill you're trying to improve just try to absorb lots of content, I would specifically recommend the Lord of Limited and Limited Resources podcasts but just reading all the articles you can find off the big sites is good too, because you have to fundamentally change how you're thinking of drafts. This will also just be helped by reps.

Some of it seems to be unfamiliarity with the format, both in archetypes and card evaluation. If you haven't looked at a set spoiler, and talked to people who have drafted a set, or listened to podcast or read an article or something about the archetypes in a format your first batch of drafts will be all over the place

Generally in a draft, once you are familiar with the format you should know what direction you're leaning somewhere around the tail of the first pack. Not necessarily "I'm going to play a R/W aggro deck" but "red will probably be my main color, with a white secondary and I'm looking aggressive".

One of the best points I've heard about drafting is to keep in mind that you are drafting a deck, you aren't drafting a sealed pool that you will then build a deck out of. For each pick, take a moment and think about if this card will be played in a deck with the cards you're already running, and if that card will advance the gameplan of that deck. It's generally better to have a deck filled with C level cards that all work together than to have a pile of B level cards all pushing in opposite directions. Obviously this doesn't apply to like pick 13, but it's super relevant to the early picks when you have multiple options that could realistically be played in your final 40.

You replied while I was writing this rambling stuff, so I edited out some of the specific critiques. Unfortunately "Being Good at Drafting" is gonna take much more than the scope of a couple forum posts, it sounds super nerdy to say but it's just as much an acquired skill as other forms of competition like sports or videogames or whatever. I'd really recommend listening to Lords of Limited or Limited Resources (or both) on your commute or whenever you find time, it will help greatly with the conceptual stuff.

Network42 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 8, 2019

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Emry combos with literally any artifact that might maybe end up in your yard, play an egg every turn, attack or chump block with any artifact creature forever, deal three damage to a creature every turn, she's a huge bomb in the right deck.

Fae in limited is usually just a great blocker (1/4 flier for 2 is so good it offends) in limited but sometimes you can keep some of the "good but situational" spells in your board and get lucky.

Folio just load up on cheap interaction, value so tiny, run away together, secretkeeper, and such a little higher than you usually would. It's easy to so tiny one dude, chump with a secretkeeper, and then still have mana for activation.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Haven't tried it myself but you may have to hold full control, the game otherwise will skip past some triggers you would definitely want to stop on.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Seems pretty good, haktos and white intervention are both pretty great bombs, and the support seems okay. Hard to say more without the pool.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Turn 1 kills were possible and great in m20 omnidraft. It might be the best format ever.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Jesus does SA not even recognize trolling anymore?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Arcanist's Owl should be able to find Thassa, right? I was playing MonoU earlier and want able to pull Thassa, bug or do I seriously misunderstand some rules?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

SalTheBard posted:

Thank you for that super helpful answer!

Not sure what answer you're looking for here, you have one draft worth of gold saved. Play that draft and win and then keep not losing?

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Have I built and drafted the cycling deck right? Anything in the board that shouldn't be? Good mix of cyclers/payoffs? Is it worth it to actually play blue? Help me goons!

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

My screen just goes black trying to start the game, I get the MTGA cursor, but no music, nothing on screen. Reddit says other people are getting the same issue, very cool.

Network42 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 25, 2020

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

I'm a terrible player, but out of 4 drafts I feel like amonkhet kinda sucks?

It's the same hyper-aggro as M21 but with way more unbeatable bullshit bombs. I played a sealed where my opponent went t4 Hazoret t6 Locust God.

I realize part of it is my unfamiliarity with the format, but the similarities were really striking out of those games.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Omnath is definitely the problem, adventures is just the shell he fits in best.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

I'm guessing cobra/clover/omnath. They know the uro ban was pointless and made them look dumb, so they're going to go heavy this time.

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Somebody drop a list for one of these mill decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Can someone post a list for Temur CrabSong because it sounds cool. In fact, just post a deck list when you mention a random deck my dudes.