Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

LifeLynx posted:

First Eldraine draft: Edgewall Inkeeper and The Great Henge, plus. Go 2-3 because of mana flood. So aggravating to have both draw engines out and not be able to draw a single spell.
Second Eldraine draft: BG Cauldron Familiar food. I passed up a Witch's Oven early in pack one and regretted it when I got the Familiar. In my last game that would have given me a free roll to another draft if I won, I flooded and whiffed three times with Trail of Crumbs. That means there were nine lands on top of my deck.

Time to play some Runeterra to cool off from mana problems.

Show us the decks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't know if it's the right move or not but nearly every opponent I've faced in the bot drafts is BG unless they pull Oko.

My experience was that the bots took the two best black commons, Bake Into a Pie and Reave Soul, extremely highly and the quality after those two fell off a cliff, so it was really hard to get into black especially when so many good cards in other colours were flowing.

It's been close to a year since I drafted ELD so maybe they updated the bots again since then, but if they haven't I'm soft avoiding blue and black in quick draft unless you get some busted stuff.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

babypolis posted:

a big reason I got tired of Zendikar drafts is that a good half of every draft devolves into complete nonsense and you feel lucky to end up with something that isnt complete garbage

then first game you run into a B/R player who somehow built a perfect party deck and its just miserable

Show us the draft

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Hooplah posted:

i'm definitely in it for the fun, but i'd really also like to get better at making decisions and become a more competent drafter and it's frustrating to hear what sounds like two conflicting messages: 1. bot draft will have a low ceiling in terms of skill and can promote unrealistic choices, degenerate strategies, and lead you to habits that are useless or actively harmful in player draft 2. the payout structure and entry costs for the different limited modes means if your win % is below a certain level, you're paying wayyyy more gems/money per draft in player draft mode.

does this mean if i wanna get better i have to basically just be fodder for the skilled drafters while very inefficiently spending all my gems until I learn? the ladder is such that you have to have a pretty dismal winrate to stay below platinum over a long enough number of games, and at plat rank gets a lot harder to earn so there's a big jump in skill between those two ranks. i guess this is better than exclusively learning doing in-person as I can mostly draft for free...

if i play my cards right :grin:

Bot drafts can still teach you some of the raw basics of drafting such as synergies, curves, etc but the amount of useful information plateaus quickly.

The reason we all talk about the deficiencies of bot drafting is because of weird environments that occur, like how blue and black are never open in ELD. Back when there weren't human drafts available, the best way to win was to just draft the best deck the bots ignored, and then this happens

Which is boring as hell. The beauty of draft is that you're going to get something a little different each time since everyone around you is different and jockeying for different cards, but when everyone around you is the same then the gaps show up Real Fast. Bot drafts are just an inferior product compared to human drafts.

Essentially it comes down to whether you want to:

1) improve at drafting
or
2) convert drafts back into the gems/boosters/singles

It's always going to "cost" you something to learn, whether it's gems/gold, real money, time (either grinding for gold, or consuming content), or whatever.

There's going to be a learning curve when it comes comes to improving, like there is with all things. I wasn't born good at drafting, but I have been playing at an FNM/prerelease level since like Invasion, and those first few (many) years I was real bad and I had to do it paying actual cash dollars, not free rolling arena dollars. I say this not as an "uphill both ways" complaint but to demonstrate that we all start somewhere (and usually it's real fuckin bad). Sometimes I'll look at the decks I built at the start of a set and wonder "what the hell was I thinking" and the immediate answer is "lol I didn't know poo poo, and that was just two months ago". Getting those reps in is a huge help. Good reps, not bot reps.

If the bad payouts are getting you down then there are still ways to improve without opening your wallet. There's a lot of good players on Twitch and YouTube and the vods are available whenever you want, and there's many podcasts available too. Just watching good players talk about what they're doing is an easy way to improve your knowledge of a format. There's a lot of weeks where I'm consuming more content than I actually play. Like, I talk a medium game but I'm basically an idiot that regurgitates what I saw a smart person do, and eventually become a smart person (or so I hope)

Also don't forget that ranks decay each month so if you're in a pinch just wait a week or two into the month before you play, while everyone at your previous rank climbs back up the ladder. I skipped most of M21 because I hated the format and was at bronze when Zendikar started. I got some good records with some truly wretched decks early on because the quality of opponents was extremely soft. This isn't a long term solution but can help with those bankroll woes if that's what's stopping you from doing human drafts.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

SalTheBard posted:

I don't understand.

This card

looks at BOTH players' life total to determine its own power/toughness. Andrea thought that it only considered the opponents' life total, and expected it to survive combat. Due to a strange loophole in MTG rules, even though the Scourge was a 5/5 when in combat with a 6/6 Uro, the Scourge would have survived combat because it would have become an 11/11 when the game rules check if it died or not because opponent's life total goes down before the game checks to see if Scourge died.

But Andrea was at 14!!!!!!!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

little munchkin posted:

you draft on a web app and then play the games out in cockatrice. usually everyone bounces after the first round because there's no point in waiting around when the matches have no stakes attached to them. there's a checksum feature to make sure people are really playing with the deck they drafted. pretty sure xmage has actual in-client support for drafting and tournament brackets

there's other communities that do in-house drafts and then re-build the decks in arena, i forget the name of the website they use

https://mtgadraft.herokuapp.com/

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I asked my Italian co-worker what that meant and he made a finger gun shooting gesture so I think it means like "bang bang"?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

WillOfTheGods posted:

Oh man, sometimes it feels like the game is just out to get you. I was on the draw 9 times in a row today playing Bo1 Standard Event. I'm still managing to maintain a nice 69% win rate (101-45) with the Rakdos Sacrifice deck I've been grinding with for the past week but drat, it does feel bad going second so much.

play best of 3 and you're guaranteed to go first at least once every 3 games! I guess if you go 2-0 on the draw every time that's not true lol

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Bugsy posted:

:laffo: dont be like my current opponent and put command tower in you ugin deck.

Are there even enough lands that make colourless in standard that you can play an Ugin deck, or are you allowed to play (non Wastes) basics to pad it out?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

So, I don't remember if I made this deck originally, I think it might have started as one of the decks you can earn. But I added a bunch of poo poo and it's big and stupid, and nevertheless in Bo1 ranked I'm now in Platinum and still winning half my games. Basically it's "stuff that comes out the graveyard, plus stuff that dies, plus mill myself, plus B/G ramp" and it wins usually against the teferi tutelage/crab mill decks I see a lot. It's pretty variable and I probably have the land mix wrong and I refused to spend more than one or two wildcards making it better so anyway here look:

You tell me: is this worth trying to refine, or should I just keep LOLing myself through platinum to see if I can get to diamond with this exact pile

I gotta say, it's fun trying to make it work. Every game is a bit different. I do sorta wish I had a couple more massacre worms and maybe another Polokranos. The deck struggles with flyers which is why I put one or two reach things in on top of the elder gargaroth, and if my opponent uses a lot of removal early I usually don't manage to get the big guys out in time to easily win, I still have one occasionally under those conditions but its hard. The deck does worth against opponents with loads of removal that exiles or bubbles or imprisons etc.

Instead of playing reach cards to deal with fliers, why not instead play some actual removal?

How many times have you actually been happy to draw Gloom Sower, a card barely playable in limited let alone constructed?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

Fair points.

Gloom sower has more often been the 8-power creature I want in my graveyard to make Carrion Grub beefy, and/or to be a target of Back for More. You're correct that drawing it to hand isn't as happy a result. It's probably a good cut. I could spend two Rares for a couple more Demons of Loathing and they're better cards and only 1 power lower.

I have Ram Through x4, Eat to Extinction, Inscription of Ruin, Soul Shatter, and Barrier Breach x2 as removal cards already. Is 9 too few in such a huge deck?

I mean the obvious part is that this deck is stupid fat so I could draw half of it and only pull one removal card. But I'm afraid of diluting the main gimmick of the deck, which is filling the graveyard up and pulling stuff out of it a bunch.

If you just want a giant idiot to go into the graveyard so you can reanimate it, try these giant idiots that go into the graveyard on their own. That way you can take garbage like Carrion Grub AND Sower out of your deck since these creatures do both jobs at once.

9 cards out of your almost 100 card deck is nowhere near enough, and Barrier Breach doesn't deal with creatures so it's actually more like 7. Ram Through needs you to have a big enough creature in play in the first place. If you draw like 15 cards a game you'll get maybe 1 on average. Gargaroth is a fine creature but the Spider is awful.

Your deck is bloated beyond comprehension and most of the cards are just worse versions of other stuff. You have THIRTEEN ramp spells and some are way worse than others. You purport to be a reanimator deck but only 4 of your cards get a creature into play from your graveyard (not counting Agadeen's Awakening because it'll cost more to cast than actually casting the big creature normally, but it's a fine card and just takes a land slot so it's a fine include here)? Portcullis Vine blocks and survives almost nothing relevant. LIFE GOES ON?????

When you are building your deck ask yourself "what is my plan?" and "how do i achieve it?" and remove everything else that gets in the way of executing it. The reason that people stay to the minimum deck size is because you're going to have X cards in your deck that are The Best, and the more you dilute your deck the weaker it becomes. Cut this deck down to 60.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

they will always, always pull something to get rid of your ugin before you can set off the -10 ability so just treat ugin as a board nuke above all else. especially if you let them draw 7 more cards, the chances of them drawing something to deal with him is basically guaranteed.

if you manage to get the -10 ability activated you likely already had full control of the game anyways.

they weren't even loading up for the -10, they just didn't -X for some reason

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Think they'll ban yorion, or will it plague arena for years to come

nah

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Opinionated posted:

https://www.17lands.com/deck/e08a7e24a8ba4658a0d5b007badc6ba2/1

Somewhat proud of this draft so far, I'm 2-0 in premier. If I get the Hagra Constrictor out I'm able to have menace on most of my creatures, it's sweet. I suppose I've been lucky on both games I've pulled hagra constrictor and it really screwed them. Praying that I keep drawing it.

If anyone wants to look at my card pool and give a suggestion, please do!

Mind Carver is dogshit if you can't guarantee your opponent is going to get 8 (and not even that great if you can), get rid of it. Same thing with Skitter-Sneak, especially since you're already loaded up at 4.

You have 17 land and 4 MDFC, that's far too many. Cut one land. Cut a second land after sideboarding if your opponent is going first (ie if you won the previous game).

I dunno how good the Oblivion's Hunger is going to be in a 13 creature deck but I think the 2nd one is probably overkill.

Kazandu Stomper is great with those MDFC, you should play it. The first Deadly Alliance is fine even if it costs 4 to play, and you should probably get at least one Blood Beckoning in there. Maybe another cheap creature (Skulker I guess) to trade early if necessary, and feed to Cat late.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

NieR Occomata posted:

I think I got a really crazy draft and could use a sanity check that I built it correctly, 'cause goddamn.

You have 70% of a very good Clerics deck but then you have a bunch of +1+1 (stuff Mucklord/Constrictor/Oblivion's Hunger) for no reason? At least play the Packbeast. Probably a Blood Price too since you'll usually have life to spare. 14 + 2 MDFC is too few lands, especially since Blood Vial is mana hungry, add at least 1 land. I've never been a fan of maindeck Smite the Monstrous but you're very short on removal and your small guys can usually trade with theirs so this is a deck where I hate it the least.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Wacky Delly posted:

Not gonna lie, insta-concedes on a turn 1 crab make me smile.

ah yes, the best part of playing magic the gathering; not playing magic the gathering

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know how you guys are winning with crabsong. It seems like a deck that doesn't get set up until like turn 4, at which point you're generally facing down death in a number of ways you can't do a thing about.

It's a deck that eats poo poo like 70% of the time and goes "haha wheeeeee" 30% of the time.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Klowner posted:

I've been keeping an eye out for an opportunity to build bw clerics in draft and it is just never ever open. Meanwhile I just went up against four of them in a row with all the trimmings. It's infuriating

Show us the draft

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Klowner posted:

granted it was four games over two separate drafts. I'm not complaining that I did poorly, I just haven't gotten to live the BW clerics dream yet. The closest I got was this one from a few weeks ago and it's really more of a party deck.

As an example, here's one of the drafts I did today. I tried desperately to get into clerics with this one--along with some other questionable choices, I passed a roil eruption for a kor celebrant p1p2. I'd really like for someone to tell me, without looking at the final deck, at what pick I'm supposed to 1) drop bw clerics and 2) "know" which archetype my seat is actually in, and whether those things occur at different picks.

Deck, Record: 6-3

The hedges early pack 1 were fine, but once I saw Kor Celebrant p1p8 I'd have probably stuck the course. By the end of pack 1 you have a bunch of white cards, and as many playable black cards (Blood Priest, Life's Bond, Blood Beck) as blue (Roilmage, Into the Roil, Windrider Wiz)

Pack 2 I'm with you through to the p2p5 Plunder since there's nothing in BW I'm interested in at that point, but back on Healer p2p6 since I don't want 2 plunder, p2p7 is Raptor, p2p9 is Raptor or Silencer, and the rest is junk.

Pack 3 there's clerics picks 1-3, p3p4 I guess you could take the cat since it eats tokens from Attended Healer but I'd more likely not play it. p3p5 Swarm, p3p6 Smite I guess?, and then more clerics for the rest of the pack. Didn't see any Vials or Blight-Priests the entire draft but the rest of pieces were there and you'd do well against aggro decks.

The deck you ended up was also pretty good though, probably better than the cleric deck in your seat. Curious what the rest of the table was doing since a bunch of clerics went late AND blue was wide open.

The deck though, Allied Assault and Dauntless Unity are not very good in this format and especially not in a 13 creature deck. I'd definitely have played every single wizard except Cascade Seer in your sideboard over those and the 1 drops. Attended Healer isn't doing much here either since you only have 3 sources of lifegain.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

lmao @ that Alseid. What's the enchantment he played on it ?

Looks like Light of Promise and possibly All that Glitters from this angle, though I could be wrong.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Klowner posted:

I suppose you mean something like this? This was the first iteration of my build. I probably would have been more comfortable with that line had I some chilling traps, cunning geysermages, or the wizard relic so I could play the tempo game more reliably. As it stands, attended healer is incredible, and I was already playing the two celebrants and two shepherds no matter what, so it's not much of a sacrifice to play two more decent clerics.

Ok not gonna lie I totally spaced on the Kor Celebrants and somehow thought your only sources of life were the two Shepherds and Expedition Healer, so you're right that Attended Healer is really good here, but I'd still stand by the rest of my advice. You have a tonne of spells to trigger the loots on Windrider, and the pump spells are pretty medium in a low creature deck and I don't like the 1/1 cleric flier except as a faux Falter in a very aggressive Wx deck. Most WU decks win by mucking up the ground, generating card advantage, and winning with evasion (fliers, or Seafloor Stalker) and this deck doesn't look much different so I'd try to aim towards it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

4 drafts in and i'm not doing wildly well, mostly because I'm not wildly trying to (and I'm consciously raredrafting since I'm planning on cracking all my packs once I run out of runs regardless and rares are the thing that make number go down way more than number of packs), but my latest one has been super satisfying, both of my games so far have had me on single digit hit points by round 3 without doing much to my opponents at all, and wound up with me winning on 1hp almost entirely thanks to Roost of Drakes providing endless chumps.

Kicker/Wizards, it's big and clever.

https://www.17lands.com/deck/68a2226274e44545a40f614b46997720

Play more land, 12 + reclaim + 4 mdfc is nowhere near enough, especially for a mana hungry kicker deck that wants to get to 7, I'd play 3 more.

What's going on that you're at less than 10 life multiple games by turn 3? You know you can play your two drops without kicker right?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Klowner posted:

hello thread. I, uh, need help making a cut here....

draft, deck first draft (bo3)

Deliberate.

And maybe Colossus for a 2nd squid?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

resistentialism posted:

I'd cut skyclave cleric and spare supplies, two plains, then add three islands

Cleric is fine as a white source and you don't need 13 islands for this deck.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

little munchkin posted:

deliberate spell shield and the blue cleric. add the squid and the practiced tactics. swap one island for plains.

maybe spare supplies is better than siludi vision because you have plenty of mana sources and supplies draws two more cards than vision does

think silundi is still good since they got 3 roilmage and you want to find a big draw off it? or too few instants/sorcs in the first place?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

little munchkin posted:

yea it's just missing every time (i count 4 in the current build, two of which should be cut and disruption which is not a high impact hit by the time we're casting visions). unless our plan is to loop it with roilmage until we eventually hit the inscripton

Yeah that's fair, I think at the point where this deck no longer needs lands taking a chance at a action card is worth it, but you're likely right since it has better options.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Klowner posted:

I could see this deck wanting to keep mana open on the opponent's turn, to keep threat of activation open for stalker and charix. In any case I think vision + deliberate + shield is a package I need to either keep entirely or board entirely.

I can't think of a deck that "needs" Deliberate unless it has multiple Relic Amulet or that Red creature that pings when you inst/sorc/wiz. It's just air and you don't need filler.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

fadam posted:

There’s no real same turn kill potential with the other colours/tribes at all, right? There’s not some weird sequence of zombies that drains for a bunch?

Wayward Zombie and Zombie Knight both commit life loss when another creature ETB, and Grey Merchant can drain them for a load.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

InterrupterJones posted:

Playing on Arena for over a year now, finally got that little tag. :toot:

It looks like the qualifier this month will be Historic. Anyone playing a bunch of historic, and have any insight as to what the good decks are? I'd have to get about 5 or 6 more rare WCs for either goblins or auras. I'm tempted to get stuff for a UG flash deck I saw that had Gearhulks and Discontinuity, but I'm not sure if that's too meme-y or not.

Is your goal to win or to blow wildcards on a bad deck?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I mean fair enough from a gameplay perspective, but why is it not a generic 'Castle of Wherever' instead of a specific, unique, named place? The flavor is hosed.

flavour is dogshit and every time they balance around it, gameplay suffers

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

No no no, I'm saying the opposite; they should have changed the flavor to match the card, not the other way around. They should have made them non-specific castles instead of unique places if they weren't going to be legendary.

Why does a named land have to be mechanically unique? The artifact lands from Mirrodin (Vault of Whispers, etc) were all flavoured to be specific places, same for Valakut and friends in Zendikar Classic.

Legendary status makes the game more swingy because the cards end up being more powerful on average, but you get punished for drawing multiples. This is especially the case for lands since they're less likely to be interacted with so duplicates do even less for you.

The flavour part isn't relevant because, frankly, A WIZARD DID IT. It's magic, you can handwave it you want. How does it make sense that I can have 5 different Nicols Bolas (creatures and planeswalkers) but only one Castle Lochthwain?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Cabbages and Kings posted:

what are people playing in Historic right now? I am just getting loving obliterated.

You already have a list of decks people are playing in historic (the ones that are obliterating you).

If you want help with your deck, post it here and ask for advice. If you want to know what the Meta is like, https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/historic#paper has a rough list of what people are playing but be VERY careful when taking a list straight from that page. I don't know the exact algorithm they use to pick an exact deck but it feels like sometimes they just pick the most recent reported deck list and you'll get some horribly mistuned poo poo that went 3-2 in a low scale tournament, and you'll need to dig a bit deeper to find a good version.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

fadam posted:

*spends twenty minutes thinking about which Alseid of Life's Bounty I should put Sentinel's Eyes on*

*picks the one with summoning sickness*

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Squiggly posted:

I don't think I get Zendikar. I thought this deck was pretty bad but I just aggro'd myself to 7-1 through banneret, dauntless unity, and early flyers (sometimes with kitesail). I feel like I've built better decks and failed harder, especially since I was going for clerics and didn't get any of the good ones. P1P1 was nullpriest and in 8 games I never saw it.

Not gonna lie this deck is a mess but hey sometimes variance is on your side.

I'm hoping you didn't tunnel in on Clerics off just the Nullpriest because it's good in every black deck and there's nearly nothing else in your deck that'd specifically draw me into a Cleric deck. Celebrant and Shepherd are good but you don't have any of Blight Priest, Attended Healer, Relic Vial, Cleric of Life's Bond and those are the key cards that make Clerics work.

In short, show us the draft.

Also please don't put Demon's Disciple and Nahiri's Binding in the same deck, you're just begging for disaster that way.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Klowner posted:

e: a nerf arrow

gotta get that cross-hasbro brand marketing in, at least

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

E: now that I cracked my packs and have only 20-odd rares missing from ZNR, mostly garbage ones, and wilds to burn, what's actually good in standard ATM? I'm laddering Bo1 monored as usual but some other things to try would be nice.

There's a major event this weekend that is standard and historic mixed format so if you want a good deck, check out what the pros are playing. Decklists go up on Saturday.

https://magic.gg/news/zendikar-rising-championship-viewers-guide

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

The Klowner posted:

he explained once that it was the random username generated when he joined xbox live for the first time

brb renaming myself after a gfycat link

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Yeah but I had 0 cards in hand or in play and they had a lethal Yorion on table. There was literally nothing stopping them from winning. I guess they felt pity or something??

Also I just had something weird happen; I blocked a 4/4 Speaker of the Heavens with my Mire Triton. Heliod put a +1/+1 counter on him, my Triton died, and the Speaker lived on. Why didn't the deathtouch kill it?

Sometimes real life exists? I once had to concede a game two take my dad to the hospital (he's fine), or maybe your opponent just had literally anything else to do because a single game of MTG is basically meaningless.

Also if you want people to help solve mysteries, please take a screenshot of the boardstate next time.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

wolfman101 posted:

People who play meta decks in the play queue should die in a fire. It is seriously 50% rouges today.

thread title never fails to deliver, it's like fuckin clockwork

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I forget, is mastermind the Momir format?