Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
The decks are trash and the manabase is trash. Why the gently caress is there a shivan dragon in the knights deck. Knights and dragons are sworn enemies, on top of being a garbage card. Also it just feels great when the opponent manages to draw the single board clear in the entire deck while you draw garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

starkebn posted:

the knight deck is easily the worst of the four

The commander is just not very good and too slow, especially in what is meant to be an aggro deck.

To get any value from him you need equipment and creatures that can attack, but if you can't attack profitably then you're really just drawing cards to replace stuff that died uselessly. Also the draw isn't even free, you pay life for it. And you can't stack all your equipment on one attacker, that only draws one. Meanwhile chulane is coming out a turn earlier and tags a growth spiral on every creature spell for free without risking anything. I don't think gwyn is going to see much play.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

That is loving nuts. Four mana 4/4 haste that nullifies fog and lets you sneak past those pesky zombie tokens and the 0/3s and 1/1s too. Oh and smacks walkers for free while we're at it.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I didn't realize the murder+ guy is also a knight. God drat BW knights is gonna be spicy

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What are the 2020 replacements for:

Cast Down
Moment of Craving
Vraska's Contempt

i.e. I want B spot removal options, including the possibility of gaining life and/or hitting walkers

I don’t know about cast down but the knight replaces Vraska and disfigure is probably just straight up better than craving.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Spiderdrake posted:

Apparently the devs view the generous mulligan timer as a feature because some individuals have slow computers/connections.

It actually double covers for them, there's a hidden phase of the timer where you can't cancel out because you're already loading the new game THEN there's a splash screen.

Personally I don't think a f2p game needs to cater to the 2% of players running the game on a core 2 duo in the middle of deserted farmlands but I guess that makes me an elitist.

edit:

dang

Well they had to print something to make red attractive to include in wb knights. E: misread

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
There has to be a poisoner card that deals 3 to anyone who sacrifices a food, right?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Waffleopolis posted:

Sound Intrusion
B
Sorcery

Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You may choose a nonland card from your opponent's hand. If you do, your opponent exiles that card. If a nonblack card was exiled this way, exile a card from your hand.

This is good, right? Like....really good. Not sure about mainboard but absolutely in sideboard. 1 black mana to counter any black spells, and it's non black, just throw away any unwanted card.

I don't like it. Thought erasure is better and duress is more broadly applicable in the sideboard. I don't like the idea of giving myself card disadvantage for a minor upside.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Spiderdrake posted:

Cool it's that devoid card only not sucking rear end this time. Well not a full rear end.

Still lolling they put the extra words on there to make the card slightly worse. Oh no if you have seven targets in EDH and seven red mana you're still playing a suboptimal card!

I think I prefer ember shot for that price.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Waffleopolis posted:

"Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve"

GGG

Legendary Creature - Giant Noble

Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve enters with four +1/+1 counters on it.

Whenever another green creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Yorvo. Then, if the creature's power is greater than Yorvo's power, put another +1/+1 counter on Yorvo.

So the one drop enables the UB counter/kill spell and gives you an early scry 2 which seems pretty good. I literally have no idea how to evaluate it though since 1/2 is poo poo and beyond the early game all it does is scry away some lands. Any control cards that need a sacrifice to pair up with this?

edit: plaguecrafter and/or cavalier of night. Blood for bones for a reanimator deck. Also 1/2 is enough to annoy cavalcade, based on that I'm saying this sees play.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 17, 2019

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

What’s everyone’s day 1 craft? I’m on 4x Brazen Borrower, ride or die
Murderous rider, duh. Probably the rest of the knights deck too but I'm thinking it might be a little too fair to actually be good past the first few weeks. Dimir control after that probably. I'd say esper but the mana looks dicey. Maybe henge G stompy? Or golgari for the combo with regisaur?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Arglebargle III posted:

Why did everyone stop playing Settle the Wreckage long before IXA rotated? It' a good card. Teferi?

It was already falling out of jeskai control but the gruul hexproof guy hated it out fully (also the hexproof angel) and kayas wrath was much better and all the jeskai turned to esper. Lil teferi had nothing to do with it, it was long gone by then.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Kalli posted:

One thing I wish they'd add is a small random gold reward or chance of a card or whatever when losing a game . Not conceding, but just a little thing to encourage people to go ahead and take the final attack or let the simple combo play out.

No, they need to steal tipping from gwent (I think it was) so you can give your opponent 5 gold for any game that goes to completion or a concede after enough turns. It has to allow conceding though because gently caress watching someone play their whole deck.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
So long as dupe protection is still working I don't see why we would get compensation. In hearthstone it mattered because duplicates were worth some tiny fraction of a card. As long as fifth copies are changed to something you don't have, there is no loss of value. (Except for commons and uncommons, if they were also affected.)

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
If I pump a knight of the ebon legion in response to a merfolk trickster, I'm pretty sure it won't keep deathtouch but will the +3/+3 stay?

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Drewjitsu posted:

Nope. He's a 1/2 + any +1/+1 counters on it. (this came up when merfolk tricksters would eat adanto vanguards for breakfast)

Alright I tested it myself. Looks like the +3/+3 is not an ability, so doesn't get wiped.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
There is nothing better than playing a ceratops against simic flash and watching them suffer. gently caress that deck.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Elk should be -2.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Is there a current way to play arena on Mac other than remote desktop? Otherwise I'm going to lose two weeks of quests and pass progress.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
I answer every post game poll with :( because I don't like being polled or having to click through the win/loss screen. This is objectively correct. Prove me wrong.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Dracula Factory posted:

Any chance of a ban for Field of the Dead? I don't know much about what cards usually get banned but FoD is just so boring and there's not any great way of stopping it. Until the format speeds up with a new set and we maybe get some sort of hate card I think it's going to dominate the meta.

I doubt it, but they'll probably print something in the next set that actually deals with it rather than just buying time.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Stupid loving cocksucking autotapper consistently taps my forests so that I can't play a creature then henge. Even when I couldn't possibly play anything else.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Lone Goat posted:

maybe stop being a dipshit and just tap it yourself

I do. But I shouldn't have to remember. gently caress you.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Apparently you can't cast murderous rider as a spell when it's been exiled by 3 mana vivien. It's still a creature card while in exile damnit.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Argas posted:

Yeah but it's in regular exile, not adventure-exile.

No, what I wanted was to first cast the spell side from Vivien exile then the creature half from adventure exile. It isn't allowed. I looked it up and the gatherer ruling actually specifically mentions this situation: even though it is a creature card and thus castable, I guess when you choose to cast it as an instant it no longer counts as being something that Vivien allows you to play.

edit: Also this is a good time to do the event if you haven't started, I had some mighty soft opponents. Also it doesn't actually last for much longer.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 7, 2019

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Heyoh! F2P mythic. Mono green stompy is pretty good BO1 right now. Good against golos, fires, mono red, mono black, gruul, sonic flash and adventures. Bad against mid range. Deck list is up thread.

When I say good, I mostly mean "at least favored" deck doesn't have any amazing matchups, but does turn in a pretty good performance against the field.

edit: follow up question, what does the number next to mythic mean. I'm #127, how is this determined?

People used to say this in the hearthstone thread all the time, I guess it's universal. There is no chance your off meta deck is actually favored against 7 decks that constitute 95% of the meta and you don't even name a deck it's unfavorable against. It isn't a credible claim. Congrats on mythic though.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Field is really stupid because it practically can't fail to go off, usually goes off stupidly quickly and the thing you need to do to activate it (ramp) is already insanely rewarding in itself. On top of the whole impossible to interact with thing. It should have been like 9 unique lands. I really shouldn't be facing down an active field on turn four.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
That card is so sad compared to questing beast.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Huxley posted:

Huh, well that's not made very clear in the client.

Maybe I'll give it a try tonight.

Yeah it's weird. I would say they are deathly afraid of long queues caused by too many game modes but this still splits the queue. The way they did it shows specifically that they are also very afraid of offering players too many options and/or they don't want to scare off the super casuals who all they do is open the game and click play. People who would get confused and quit before they ever used their eyes and clicked a "play historic" button or God forbid built a standard legal deck.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

AnEdgelord posted:

Field is such an absolutely messed up card in retrospect.

Having a card that generates a board presence with less than zero mana cost and an incredibly low opportunity cost is insane. This feels like a Skullclamp level fuckup.

You forgot no good way to counter it.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Kawabata posted:

Why does Massacre Girl exist? Is it to prevent people from having fun playing aggro, and force them to buy shock lands? Is it because some MTGA dev thought Defile was such a fun spell in HS that it needed to be in MTGA too, and kill indestructible creatures too?

I can't play my monored in peace anymore. Having trouble getting to Mythic with aggro, most of my collection hosed off to Historic and I'm really annoyed at the current meta and the fact that most decks are orders of magnitude more expensive than their pre-Eldraine counterparts.

It's similar but not identical to defile, legendary, and five mana. It's like if Godfrey was half as strong and 9-10 mana. Massacre girl is honestly not very good at all.

Playing aggro right now what pisses me off more is how easily three and four color decks are playing kayas wrath and time wipe on curve with the lovely mana we have. I'm literally losing games as a two color deck because I can't get double black mana by turn 4 and these cocksuckers are doing murderous rider into time wipe on curve.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Reality Sinner posted:

Is there a way to sort my graveyard?

They have some weird way of sorting things going to the graveyard, when I would play the green cavalier it would put my big Chandra on top of the yard no matter what. But the order doesn't matter so 🤷‍♂️

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

Sex Weirdo posted:

so if i've declared attackers and the opponent has declared blockers, then the opponent turns the blockers into foods with witch's oven, shouldn't the damage then go through to the opponent? I already know the answer, but it seems like some grade-a bullshit.

You want trample. Also not so sure the game would be super fun if it worked like you want. You'd end up doing really lovely blocks all the time in order to account for the possibility that at the last second your chump blocker would get pinged and let 6 damage through.

Thinking about it now I kind of prefer it like it is, it really drives home how bad piles of stats can be and makes trample a lot more meaningful.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

drainpipe posted:

drat, the free ride on Geforce Now is finally over as it looks like they've pulled Arena from their offerings. What's the most convenient way to play Arena on Mac? Is it just bootcamp windows?

I ended up pirating parallels and it works alright. Boot camp may be easier but I didn't want to have to partition my very limited disk space and reboot just to play.

However, I'm pretty sure they announced an official Mac client coming out "winter". So you could wait for that.

Propaganda Hour posted:

Oko's +1 should have been immediately errata'd to "until end of turn" like they did with Invert // Invent. No one would have even noticed.

https://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=invert

Oh my god I've never read that card before, could they possibly print a card more likely to confuse players. I bet so many people just swap the stats of two creatures and never even realize.

Magic Underwear fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 30, 2019

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
Red saga seemed good on first look but I guess when other colors can clear the board for that price it might be a little too cute. Izzet guy is too much text and numbers for too little mana to be bad. Blue ixalan's binding is sure to see play. 2B draw 3 is crazy. Narcissus is a lot of stats for 2U, great design. Blue saga is also a very cool design, draw 2 scry 2 for cheap but very slow, open to disruption and you telegraph your play. I think I'd play it though. Those four red cards and three green ones blow.

Warden of the Chained: gruul spellbreaker what did they do to you
Blue omen is very good.

Everything else mediocre.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
They're gonna print something pushed that fuels its own escape cost, guaranteed. Some ridiculous creature that draws two ETB and self mills four on attack. Just wait.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It's really hosed up that I'm seeing noxious grasp in bo1. Even then it might as well not even have the white clause, I think it's entirely hitting okos, questing beasts, krasises, nissas and elks. Things are real bad when incredibly narrow color hate is wildly playable maindeck.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It is truly loving amazing to me that literally every time I play against fires, a deck that is seriously reliant on drawing a single card, they always have it on 4. And 90% of the time they have a board clear that turn or on three. Same thing for cat and oven, even more amazing since it's two low cost cards.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the problem with veil is that it hits a MASSIVE variety of threats. hate cards are historically narrow and strong (teferi's response) or broad and weaker (ghost quarter). veil is both super broad-- it interacts with three different types of spells-- and super strong, since it's a 1-mana instant speed 2-for-1.

it's doing gruesome things in legacy. people hate having their spells countered, fair, but since blue hasn't been able to do much against resolved permanents since 1995 or so they kind of have to be able to counter.

like, yeah, it's green elemental blast, but way way way better, and the elemental blasts are way too strong to print today.

It doesn't "hit threats" at all, it's purely reactive and purely defensive. It does nothing against board clears. Cmon guys keep your heads.

So much whining itt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc
It should have been so obvious that the field ban would lead to this. They know it's better to ban the thing that will become busted at the same time as the thing that is busted, they've done it before. It's embarrassing to have to ban your expansion mascot but it's more embarrassing to let him ruin the format for a month and then ban him. This can't be worth it just to sell packs.