Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i picked nassif because he has a good stream and seems like a great guy

i'd love to see him stream poker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

edit wow 300 page old reply nevermind

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

historic was made to make people spend more on arena so that your cards dont go to waste

the meta reason will figure it out, the business reason is sound

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

why does historic burn run jegantha?

it seems like it's a waste of a slot and also a tell you're running burn in game 1. midrange defense i guess? seems crappy.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

flood protection against decks that dont run you over in that case? ill run some sets and figure it out i guess.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Because it's free OP

its not, you pretty much only cast it when you're out of gas and/or flooding after 8 mana

again running sets with it, it doesnt make sense imo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

yeah true, it makes more sense now in the sense that its a "free" slot but not necessarily a free play, something to do when you've got nothing

it still seems bad even though its free, if you're in that spot you're probably already losing

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I really enjoy limited and have had pretty good success in unknown draft formats by sticking to things I’ve learned from these guides:

I thought Rietzl’s limited guide was pretty good https://strategy.channelfireball.com/all-strategy/articles/how-to-learn-limited/

tldr: Get games in, not everyone is good at theorycrafting until they have data

As is CABS (cards that affect the board) theory https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/limited-information/cabs-theory-2015-08-19

tldr: Draft simple decks with cards that have meaningful text for reducing your opponent’s lifetotal to 0.

Which also overlaps with BREAD theory (bombs removal evasion aggro and duds) https://www.coolstuffinc.com/a/melissadetora-041212-a-beginners-guide-to-drafting

tldr: Figure out the balance of cards you want to go for, reducing the amounts of duds you take in to your deck by better knowing the format (see 1 and 2)

Ben Stark’s stream is also fantastic for limited, as is Michael Jacob’s

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Almost made it a whole month before someone posted BREAD again, can we please stop poisoning new players' brains with this garbage?

BREAD hasn't been relevant in many many years, that article is from eight years ago and doesn't apply to modern day draft formats.

Suggest something more relevant rather than just making GBS threads on it.

I provided this with the context of the other two newbie/non-pro oriented guides, all 3 of which I have found helpful.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

I was pretty sure it was gonna be dumb, but I wasn't expecting it to be 'irencrag feat in an otherwise normal monored deck to play ugin' dumb.

haha i know what i'm doing tonight

been stuck in plat 4 but mainly cause i havent been grinding nor found a proper good aggro deck yet so i'm messing around with brews

historic burn is good and fun, and standard uw flyers have been ok but not really consistent, it's not very resilient to sweepers

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

I need to have another look at UW fliers but unless something very surprising happens with Zendikar I just don't think it's got the beans to compete in STandard without Rally of Wings. Being able to run Lofty Denial is nice, but it's gonna be super vulnerable to Stomp/Petty Theft.

yeah rally of wings pretty much wins you the game if you curve out first 3 turns, the deck is going to be significantly worse without it imo

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

srulz posted:

Anyone found a good RDW list yet? The current ones seem like a little bit too slow vs Omnath lists, which are literally everywhere. I just want to do my dailies in unranked ffs.

the RDW you always want, for any format, will always be here

https://app.cardboard.live/s/sandydogmtg

dude is a mtgo legend

edit: ooh trying out gingerbrute over the 0/1 landfaller, nice

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 22, 2020

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

supposedly people like paul cheon and melissa deltora are playtesting this stuff

but like what is their methodology? i don't really think they'd miss out on power level stuff like this if they didn't have a broken process

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

As a goofball deck I think I enjoyed Mardu Zenith more, where you can sort of pivot into a bad mid range deck with Fiend Artisan

The hand disruption seems better than the blue payoff cards in general, except maybe the 4/4 one

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

never rope antagonistically

never good game unless you're on the losing side and you genuinely appreciated the game

qtiyd

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 24, 2020

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

irl though i will always say something, but its not isolated to good game, more diplomatic like "thanks for the games"

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

https://twitter.com/reidduke/status/1309139183466938382?s=21

Really got me thinking about how there really aren’t good blocks in Standard anymore. Every board state is a sea of 1/2s and 2/1s or a wall of big meaty 4/4s and 6/6s. Combat just kind of happens past people now.

Also specifically in the case of Uro, chumping him with a fork feels so bad, it’s like a 3/1 every attack now...

embercleave attack phases can be fun when you aren't just dead on board

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Apparently some people are using an exploit to make their opponents' clients crash. It involves hovering over their cards really fast, maybe using software? It happens at the timestamp below and other people have reported similar experiences.

https://twitch.tv/videos/760497941?t=5807s

That's really interesting. I bet doing that clogs up the game's event log, despite being a cosmetic for a tell or reading a card.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bugsy posted:

Didnt excessive pet clicking also crash the client when the pets first came out?

You could lag someone out with the fire cat that changes colors and I believe the lightning bolt dog

Not sure about the others

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

rakdos midrange is real fun

im on michael jacobs tweaked list and its been a blast, only matchup that feels bad is aggro but im sure someone will write something condescending about this take about the deck

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the aggro matches were the most fun too, because they were super close and on review came down to some close decisions or running top decks after stabilizing

its real interactive magic, and its good

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shooting Blanks posted:

What did you tweak? I'm pretty close to having everything for his deck and most of the cards I'm missing I wouldn't mind crafting anyway.

i got it from his stream on tuesday before decks were due, the final list is here https://magic.gg/news/2020-season-grand-finals-standard-decklists

code:
Deck
2 Murderous Rider
2 Spikefield Hazard
2 Hagra Mauling
4 Fabled Passage
4 Tymaret Calls the Dead
4 Temple of Malice
1 Inscription of Ruin
3 Rankle, Master of Pranks
1 Elspeth's Nightmare
4 Agonizing Remorse
4 Magmatic Channeler
2 Liliana, Waker of the Dead
4 Bonecrusher Giant
1 Mire Triton
4 Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger
2 Castle Locthwain
2 Heartless Act
3 Mountain
1 Bloodchief's Thirst
3 Shatterskull Smashing
6 Swamp
1 Savai Triome

Sideboard
2 Skyclave Shade
2 Soul-Guide Lantern
2 Shredded Sails
1 Extinction Event
1 Feed the Swarm
1 Embereth Shieldbreaker
2 Sorcerous Spyglass
2 Ox of Agonas
2 Scorching Dragonfire
you would rearrange this based on what you believe the meta is, also if you want to jam it in bo1, but that's the general list

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Nehru the Damaja posted:

edit: I mean mostly against mono-red aggro. I think all the Rakdos lists are shockingly bad against weird off-meta aggro like Selesnya counters, mostly because they snowball and Heartless Act is bad there. Scavenging Ooze, Tymaret and even less common grave-eaters also wreck your poo poo.

yeah i found it was worse against go wide strategies whereas mono R or mono W was a bit closer

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I haven't struggled at all vs aggro with it but MJ's list is selling out to try to fight the Omnath decks he correctly expected to infest the tournament meta rather than tuning it for general ladder play

Unfortunately the tournament coverage I glanced in on made it sound like the Rakdos decks are getting rinsed anyway :smith: saddened but not at all surprised

congrats btw i just posted this without reading the several hundred posts in between last time i checked, i just scrolled back and saw your success with it in a diff config

edit: i also agree that Agadeem's Awakening isn't that great in it

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Oct 9, 2020

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

hell yeah gimme sorta big red

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

srulz posted:

Oh wow, I was making this thread just to solicit some deck ideas and all:

https://old.reddit.com/r/spikes/comments/ja6wbe/standard_postomnath_co_ban_whats_working_whats/

Didn't expect to get THAT many responses saying their deck is highly performing, drat the Standard format seems actually good now.

its been a day

also the big red deck gets stuck on lands often but i'm probably not playing double sided cards properly

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

DMW45 posted:

I had been posting this on the discord server, but figured I should post it here, too. I am havin a ton of fun with a deck I designed myself--never gotten this high of a ranking before.

Current rank:

And, for anyone curious, deck is here

Lynchpin of the deck is Teferi's Ageless Insight, wincons are that, Ominous Seas and either Fevered Inventory (2/3 in graveuard), or Valakut for drawing anywhere from 6-20 cards at a time. Or Teferi Insight/Planeswalker and either multiple Improbable Alliance or Irencrag Pyromancer

Alliance and Pyromancer are super good with all this draw--and with Insight (or the teferi planeswalker--with both you don't even need to spend any many/play any cards to do it) are remarkably easy to activate on both your turn and the opponents turn, building an army quick (or getting a ton of throwaway blockers) and dealing a ton of damage.

What do y'all think?

as i'm playing this deck right now

as there's no board, do you only rock this in bo1? do you never get put up against monored aggro on the draw? whats a snap keep?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Gynovore posted:

Looks ok, but why no Leyline Tyrant?

i was planning to test this later

but i think its because theres a lot more creature removal and you dont really get to go off as hard versus successfully playing fiery emancipation which usually will win the game within a turn

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

can't get out of plat in historic for the life of me the past 2 seasons and I am starting to think I'm just really bad at this game

eyeballs $16000 pile of cardboard in the corner, thinks about buying an ATV instead

if you play bo1 play more bo3, or play more all in aggro decks so you can at least grind out mythic even if youre not good

bo1 is heavy on the coin flip. its like 55/45 by default to whoever goes first

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

havent won a single level of rank in a week (stuck at plat 4)

it really fucks with you to lose so much

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 21, 2020

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I also need to take my own advice on deck choices

There’s just a lot to play right now imo and it sucks that you can only get “real” games in ranked

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

I have never learned how to playtest constructed, mostly just rotate through decks

Limited is easier to me in this way

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

InterrupterJones posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what are you playing? I've been in that same position for the last few seasons, so I know how much it sucks to be wheeling at the bottom of your rank for so long. For me it's just been finding the right deck, and thankfully right now there are a lot of viable options.

I would cut down on 3 basics. Nissa and Pick-Axe are cool and good, but at best you'll still be only able to play 1 land per turn, so drawing those extras won't do much for you. If you want to add more to take advantage of life gain, you could add Kazandu Nectarpot. If you keep that many lands, try throwing in a Dryad of Ilysian Grove to play multiples on one turn.

Rakdos and later GB Adventures, typically getting dumpstered by UW Yorion Control or Doom Foretold, occasionally bad draws against Mono G

I have been pretty consistently Diamond or % Mythic by now which is why I was disappointed in myself

I went back to Bo1 and went on a streak with monored to feel better

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

spent the last 4 hours losing to yorion decks just loving love how bad i am at choosing decks

edit: finally got one with temur ramp through 3 yorions and 3 ecds cause ugin and genesis are busted

Share Bear fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Oct 24, 2020

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Ondrej is right

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ive got a generalized deckbuilding q where i am just kinda theorizing, so forgive me if any of this is off

given stuff like Food as a sort of resilient big green deck, what would be the same way to approach this with red?

i remember the fun brash taunter deck and im trying to add to it in a way with newer cards

do i just guess and refine, or is there a more appropriate way (besides consider the meta and avg curve) to consider building a standard deck?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

I personally think from playing many competitive games over the years that tracking your winrate and counting all your percentages like a calorie counter isn’t nearly as useful as setting intentional practice and focusing on making fewer mistakes during actual gameplay. You’re not gonna get better at the game by making it more stressful and like homework, you’re gonna get better by finding a deck that really speaks to you and that you are enthusiastic about.

this is generally it

i also play many competitive or ranked games and really you just gotta find what makes you happy and then make that tight as hell

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i got this article about being a boring consistent drafter from reddit and i think it's pretty decent if you're not great at drafting (like me!) so i'm sharing it here

https://letstalklimited.com/2021/05/19/be-boring-a-guide-to-building-better-draft-decks/

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i am sticking with dragons approach x 32 + 8 hasty dragons op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i just draft and occasionally have a standard deck i like, not really concerned about this so far

i do enjoy momir too, maybe they can turn that into conjure so it actually makes cards rather than tokens