Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

so if I played a year and a half ago, I imagine half of my cards or more are unusable. Should you create a new account to run those early missions to get tons of new cards? I assume those missions now reward with prebuilt currently playable decks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Jabor posted:

According to my tracking I have one last draft to do (probably tonight) and that'll be the full set of rares, and I'm going to call that enough Ikoria drafts for me.

Played a bunch of Humans, Mutate, and Cycling, as well as a few oddballs like UR Spells and messing people up with Obosh. (RIP companions in Limited). The one thing I haven't really tried is reanimator, but the one time the cards lined up for me to potentially draft it I was already deep into cycling by that point in pack 2 and couldn't really pivot.

Are you doing the f2p full set thing with the rare drafting and spreadsheet?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Jabor posted:

Not so much rare drafting, but yes on the spreadsheet.

I'm not doing a full set of mythics though, a full set of rares is enough for me. I'll wildcard mythics if I want to play them.

Not sure whether I'll do it for m21, we'll see how fun the draft format is. Ikoria was pretty good to me.

Is it your own spreadsheet? Or do you follow someone who's created them?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Bugsy posted:

Reminder:

edit - Also I don't know which of these have been used or not so good luck if you get one. If you have already used one of these prerelease codes you cant use another one for that set. The non Eldraine ones also need to get used by 7-1-20.

ELD
fTm-QfPx-LSK
ELD
VAV-n8hb-SFF
M20
XWV-d6zJ-jGN
M20
XW2-yXAM-psc
M20
XW2-kEWc-Qbj
M20
Wy6-dzgb-ZJP
RNA
D3c-BFQS-Daq
RNA
BL5yiz4-iHf
GRN
8n5-z46s-nst
GRN
utz-sozf-g9y
WAR
Jwc-Ygmg-sbQ
WAR
yV1-cRYm-qsx

All used sadly. I was excited for a second, never had a prerelease or (non basic) promo code before :(

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 30, 2020

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Can I still craft these right now and get the WCs? Or did I need to have done it earlier.

Are these cards actually usable in anything Arena offers now?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

wei posted:

-Slag -Protege -Cancel -Read the Tides -Shock +Bolt Hound +Turret Ogre +2 Frantic Inventory

Most games should be over before you get to 6 mana so I don't see Read the Tides being cast. This sort of deck really wants cantrips for consistency and prowess fuel, and 2 Frantics is fine. Alternatively, you can keep the 5th Shock, leave Frantics out, and put in another Lofty or Burn Bright.

Disagree on the Frantics. 1 is bad. 2 is merely fine, and only if you draw the second. If you never draw the second, (which alot of the time in this format you won't), then it is also just bad.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jul 15, 2020

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

thespaceinvader posted:

God I want an unraked Bo1 draft queue.

Can you explain why? Should this new queue offer the same rewards?

I would love this too, but my reasoning is completely selfish, in that I would love weaker opponents occasionally. Presumably your reasoning is more charitable than mine.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I've got a code for the black and green starter decks, from the arena starter kit. I've redeemed it for my account but it's also good for "one friend."

Any other beginners in the thread want it? First to post gets it. You guys with thousands of dollars of cards please don't be greedy, this is for a beginner.

I am not new to MTG, but have barely any cards in this Arena version. So I'd take it.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

PMed! There ya go.

Thanks dude!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Never played pauper before, and don't have a great collection in game. Are there any good pauper lists made mostly from the cards we get as newbies?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Nitramster posted:

So I noticed yesterday while I was drafting quick 2021 when I alt tabbed around sometimes numbers and check marks would hang over the cards I was choosing, then I realized I could hold alt to show them. I have a lot of newbie questions, I'll list them:
1. Is that a part of the client or ArenaTutor?
2. Am I correct to assume that is how many of those cards I have in my collection?
3. What happens if I pick cards I already have 4 of?
4. Do I need 4 alternate versions of a card to use that many in a deck? (like the borderless type that move)

1/It is part of the main game client. It was added about 1/2 weeks ago. So no, it’s not part of an add on.
2/yes
3/they are added to the vault. Eventually it will get full, and cough out some wildcards. Or turn into gems if they are rare or mythic.
4/you need 4 copies to use 4 in a deck. Doesn’t matter if they are alternate versions, or all look the same.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 14, 2020

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

ThoughtSeize is so eating a ban in historic at some point. Some wrong guy told me he thought it wouldn't.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

So I finished my M21 rare collection F2P the other day.

24 BO1 drafts, 2 of them premier, rest all with bots. 120 packs opened afterwards. I won very close to 50%, 49.26% to be exact. Which I was pleased with, considering I was grabbing every rare and mythic rare, at the expense of good cards, and almost all of the games were at platinum. Had 3 7-win runs, and 3 0-win runs.

Through the process I was 7 shy of my common set, and 13 from my uncommon set*. I also had well over 40% of the mythic set, though I shudder at the idea of trying to complete the mythic set this way, I don't think it's possible completely free to play, even including mythic wild cards you might earn. I made 45 common wildcards, and 52 uncommon wildcards in the process, so I could complete those if I wanted and have lots left over. I also made 29 rare wild cards, and 15 mythic wild cards with all the pack openings (some of which were not M21 packs, because of mastery rewards, etc). Oddly, I didn't see a single Nine Lives untill I opened my last 5 packs. That seems stupidly, almost impossibly unlikely, get your random number generator working, WOTC.

I had saved up 30k gold before the set dropped. And had enough gems to buy the mastery pass, just. At the end, I have 1,450 gold, and 5,770 gems. Time to save up for the next set, should start about where I began, but with 2000 or so more gems. Overall, this is a fun way to build a collection, if you actually enjoy drafts. It was around a draft a day that M21 was available as a quick draft, so didn't require too much time investment.

*(these don't include the cards you cannot find in packs, naturally)

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 24, 2020

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

Were you raredrafting the entire time? 24 seems really low compared to what I usually do, though I don't take rares unless they're good for my deck. Though that's also evened out but Premier draft payouts being way higher than Quick.

Mythics are theoretically possible via free play but I think you need to open 4x the number of boosters.

Yes, every single rare or mythic rare I could take. I did. I would guess at least half of these were not used in my deck in any way, so I certainly hurt myself a lot by doing so, but there's no way I could do it in so few drafts if I had drafted better cards at the expense of rarer ones. Though obviously it would be more profitable at the expense of speed.

As for opening 4x the number of boosters, I don't think you could do that with the number of packs/gold/gens you could realistically win in a set's period. Maybe I am wrong? But I don't think so.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Aug 24, 2020

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

MeinPanzer posted:

I have to say I love it and I’m surprised it isn’t used more.

I’ve been trying to throw together a cycling deck and for the last week I’ve only needed about 10 more commons. In that time I’ve gotten 5 Ikoria packs, which yielded two triomes and has gotten me three of those commons.

Lol

I don't get why that's funny? I am dense maybe.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Thought I'd leave drafting for a couple of days. Breezed through platinum playing a janky blue historic deck with 3 commons, 1 rare, and the rest 56 common lands. You know the deck, Treasure Hunt.

Diamond opponents are slowing me down a bit, but I am going to get mythic with this crap.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 28, 2020

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Boco_T posted:

D&D IS the core set, I think. Because the idea of the core set is “get new marks into the game”

It is? Core sets have never been about that before in my memory.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

gently caress cross pollination like this D&D bullshit. If you wanna do secret lair cards like the Godzilla stuff fine, but D&D proper somehow has an even worse fan base than magic of utter grognards

Bullshit. No one is worse than Magic twats. We’re the worst. Ok, I’ll give you war gamers, obviously, but then it’s mtg players.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

dnd fans are probably more chill on average but their worst people are orders of magnitude worse than the worst magic players

There are MTG fans who are literally Nazis.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

fadam posted:

This is true of basically every hobby.

True. The point is, the worst of their community isn't way worse than the worst of our's. Which the guy I responded to was saying.

Every gaming community (except Blaseball, obviously) has a group that stinks the house up for the rest of us.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Something wierd is happening in my brawls.

I created a deck that has Jace, Wielder of Mysteries, and 1 single Treasure Hunt. Nothing else. Stupid deck, but should get a win or two very quickly.

I have played 23 games, mulliganning 7 times each game, and not once drawn the Treasure Hunt. What the hell is happening? Is there some rule in the software that prevents me getting my one-of sorcery in my inital 7 cards?

edit: Well over 30 now, and still not drawn it. Clearly MTGA doesn't allow it.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 4, 2020

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Wolfsbane posted:

The arena shuffler draws you two initial hands, and gives you the one that's closest to the land/nonland balance of your deck. If you make a deck that's 59 lands and a spell then you are never getting that spell in your opening hand.

Haha! Yeah, I did the last 20 games just to prove it to myself. I already knew I'd never draw it just by the statistical unlikeliness of the first few.

Ah well, lesson learnt. Too bad, would be a fun stupid deck for a handful of games.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Sep 4, 2020

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

This month is awesome, everyone is playing bad decks in historic, trying to force new cards into their decks. I ran Plat and Diamond and hit Mythic all in one day, with the solitaire Thassa Oracle deck. 1 rare, 56 lands.

Mythic is no challenge in new set months.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 22, 2020

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I’ve made mythic the last six or seven months in a row by just running the Thassa’s Oracle solitaire historic deck, usually very quickly each month.

Way more counter magic in the queue than normal though in high diamond this month. No other deck is so easy to play I can get work done while playing, though, so I’ll keep running it occasionally.

On a related note: The Android Arena client is surprisingly good. But Jesus, trying to discard down to 7 from 40 cards on a phone is absolutely impossible.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Bugsy posted:

Wait, what the

Oh for fucks gently caress.

The most depressing thing is there are more people saying this should have been kept quiet and private, or outright saying she's taking this too seriously, than siding with her.

Magic nerds. Their misogyny is just as strong as other gaming groups, but they'll use three times as many sentences to justify it.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

edit: magic is stupid.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Mar 2, 2021

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Time posted:

There is so much greedy poo poo on the historic ladder that mono-u is pretty well positioned. Crokeyz will stream jund or something and it will knock the deck out of contention but as of today it feels good to take the sultaimatum and uw piles to the cleaners

What’s your list? Made mythic really early this month playing thassa’s oracle cheese, and have spent the last two weeks playing demonic pact decks without really feeling anything. Mono u might be fun.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

hey mom its 420 posted:

are the straight to historic cards like electrolyze going to be in strixhaven booster packs or drafts? or will the only way to get them be through wildcards?

They’ll be in boosters. Draft and regular. They’ll replace a common card, so you’ll occasionally get 2 rates.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 26, 2021

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Corbeau posted:

Between the historic shakeup and artisan/pauper events this has been a really good few weeks for having fun with arena. Really hope they continue to time these alternate formats with the standard meta ossifying.

Yeah, I am going to be sad when the #FNM events end. They have been great over all.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I ran into a problem I rarely do, and drafted too many ACTUALLY GOOD cards. Have to make 5 cuts.

Learn makes things hard. For example Arcane Subtraction would be an easy cut here, but I love the learn so much. I've already taken a Frost Trickster out, which I never thought I'd do.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I made a few difficult cuts. 1 of the vortex runners, the Body of Research, an Arcane Subtraction, 1 of the Decisive Denials.

I'll run 17 lands because I have Field Trip, Emergent Sequence and a lesson to grab a land. All my cuts are solid cards I'd normally happily play, I think. But I was struggling.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

little munchkin posted:

resculpt is bad, aerialist and vortex runner are cuttable, can probably trim a decisive denial since you won't always have the right sizing for the fight mode to work.

you can play a card with UUUGGG in it's casting cost, or you can play colorless lands, but you can't do both. i;d prefer keeping body, you don't have the spell count to hit often with biblioplex and there's card draw and instant speed interaction that make it difficult to get down to zero cards in hand

Resculpt isn't bad. It's Angelic Ascension without flying. It's great.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Yeah I cut the UUUGGG, as I mentioned before.

You guys are all down on Resculpt huh? Angelic Ascension was a amazing. This doesn't have flying, which is a downer, but still allows the trade up that Angelic did while giving you the 4/4.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Apr 22, 2021

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Hmm. This is certainly a slower format. You guys are probably right. You're also right about the treasure thing, turning a treasure token in a prismari deck into a 4/4 for 2 is interesting.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 22, 2021

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Does the guy actually play magic and knows what he's doing? I assume it's going to be filmed from his side? I so wouldn't put it past wotc to have some in-house pro coach him through the games.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Wanna see how brutal the Canadian Question is

It'll be super easy, it's just a necessity due to law that it has to be something other than randomly chosen person wins a prize. So instead your winning a prize for getting a question right.

It'll be something like "If you have a forest, swamp, mountain and island, what basic land would you be missing to have all 5 colors of mana" - or something equally simple.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Eej posted:

otoh if you're building up for Constructed the majority of rares are unplayable garbage so it's not a perfect metric to base value on

You get EVERY SINGLE rare in the set, as a f2p player, so you're getting every playable rare.Sure, lots of crap too, but every playable rare as well. I've been using the same spread sheet from Hipsters, and yep, with a roughly 50% win rate, you'll be completing every set with the f2p currencies.

Admittedly, if you despise drafts, then that's a problem.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 8, 2021

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

So which is going to eat the ban - Pact or Oracle?

Without Oracle, Pact is actually an interesting and not stupid card.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

TipTow posted:

How much are people anticipating Pact getting banned? If so I'll go ahead and craft a couple to fart around with the combo deck before the hammer, otherwise I think I'll pass on it.

It's 50-50. It or Oracle is going. Now which one actually goes is the question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I like to take a meme deck to mythic each month. Recently it had been the Treasure/Oracle deck, but this month I chose Tibalt's Trickery.

From platinum 4 to mythic, it was surprisingly consistent. I hear all the time this deck loses, but I'm pretty sure most people playing it are using crap 0 cost cards, and without a full suit of the very best bombs.

Built with 4 omnis, 8 ultimatums, 4 snakes, 4 ulamogs, 4 ugins and 4 Kioras, 4 stonecoils and 4 chamber sentry's, 1 valki and 1 Sandworm enchant, I am pretty sure any idiot could make mythic with my build. The key is using solid zero mana creatures that can actually be useful in the roughly 50 percent of games you hit your combo but it doesn't finish the game. They need to be able to contribute a bit other than just being fodder for Trickery.

I'll use something a bit more serious to compete for the 1200 later in the month, but I'll keep rolling this for a few games each day, it's actually surprisingly fun to play.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 16, 2021