Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Jabor posted:

Random question, how are you supposed to stop in your declare attackers step to do something before your opponent blocks? Full control didn't seem to do it.
It should. You should get a button to click that says "To Blocks", that's your stop in the declare attackers phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I have been trying to make a Wolf tribal deck work for the last two expansions and am really hoping someone smarter than me can crack it with the new ToE stuff. It should work!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

zoux posted:

I'm using Ral because I hope his smug visage enrages my opponent
I use Nicol Bolas because wanting to loving kill everybody so they'll shut up and do what I say speaks to me

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Huxley posted:

Yeah, I can't fault them too much for wanting to prioritize and incentivize the play pattern most likely to keep them in a job.

So 2:1 is a slim bummer, but it is a problem a wallet can solve if I want it to badly enough, so it'll all work out one way or another.
Honest question, how do you plan to solve a wildcard problem with your wallet? You can't buy those.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

zoux posted:

Buy packs. I wonder what the average number of R/MR WCs you pull/earn from opening a 45 pack bundle
Guaranteed 6/1, which is really lovely return on value. Needing to buy 90 packs to get a single Historic MR isn't exactly viable.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Tom Gorman posted:

Even though Charlie can't read the cards he still intuitively determines what the cards do based on the illustrations. He goes on to make a fortune on the pro MTG circuit, only to blow all the winnings on an ebay auction for "Real Dragon Meat".
I would legit watch that episode and it'd probably be great. Charlie being a Magic savant because his entire world runs on fantasy dream logic just makes sense. Like, he already thinks that if you owned an elf and it got attacked by a dragon, the only logical response is to bake the dragon into a pie, and he's just finally found somewhere that agrees with him.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

You should really stop and consider what Historic Brawl would look like before pining for it.

Also no one should buying "sets" of anything for Historic of either potential permutation. The number of playable cards lowers immensely very quickly. Modern is incredibly deep to support such a depth of archetypes and most of them require older cards to exist. The rate of playables even when modern first launched was a narrow sliver of the format.
Yeah, but the problem is, what happens when Theros Revisited card X combos with previously-junk Ixalan rare Y that nobody bothered to craft because it sucked? Everyone’s out 8 WCs?

Honestly it’s just so unnecessary, Hearthstone lets you craft Wild at the normal dust rate and people still focus on Standard, because there’s already plenty of New Players Stick To Standard Goddamn It signposts: those packs aren’t for sale any more and they’re drat sure not the packs you get for free, crafting a whole goddamn deck is already cost-prohibitive on its own, and all the official attention and prize support is in Standard, so that’s what the pros and streamers focus on, and the masses follow them.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

axeil posted:

This is why I'm waiting to buy my last packs of RNA/GRN till after we get the npe decks because they each have a shockland.
Is that how it works? I thought with precons that they add whatever cards are necessary to your collection to be able to build it, but if you’ve already got the rares or whatever, they don’t just give you an extra one anyway.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

zoux posted:

Wait I want to be in the closed beta

Millstone Gargoyle and Millstone Book seem like they'll be pretty good with Mill Yourself Jace. Mill everybody and whoever runs out of cards first, you win either way!

Sinteres posted:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/mtg-arena-update-historic-2019-09-12

NEW HISTORIC CARDS
We will start to add new cards to Historic in November. We’ll be thinking through what the right target of cards to add is and how players can acquire these new cards. These cards will be added to the game differently than cards in Standard, but we’re still working on exactly how to do that.
Good change. Now just name whatever price you'd like and sell an All The Slivers We Ever Printed collection for Historic, WotC, please and thank you.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Is it me or is that blatantly Shrek on Barge In?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

zoux posted:

I also love this reference, which I definitely get.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DX2yVucz24

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

fadam posted:

What’s the best deck to grind this out that isn’t cavalcade? I’m gonna sip lean and play MtG until I max my pass.
I like Goloscopy a lot. It's a very chill deck, you mostly just sit back and play lands (while simultaneously drawing your entire deck and creating fucktons of zombies).

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

New Mastery pet is far superior to dumb fire cat.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

So apparently after spending months going "People will get the NPE decks eventually" to "People will get the NPE decks on the 26th" arena twitter confirmed they spent time and effort coding a solution to this problem, and now arena will check your account and only give what you're missing to "finish" the decks. Nothing extra, no gems, no vault progress.

I forget who called that, but they called it, nice.

CapnAndy posted:

Is that how it works? I thought with precons that they add whatever cards are necessary to your collection to be able to build it, but if you’ve already got the rares or whatever, they don’t just give you an extra one anyway.
Thank you very much, I will take my I Called It On The Internet bows.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I hit level 70, so I will easily cruise to level 72, and as I'm on the free pass because I didn't want a dumb fire cat, I am happy at maxing out.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Holy poo poo, I just played a game against a guy with the fox pet and I wiped his board with Gates Ablaze.

The fox put its head in its paws and whimpered. Fox pet superiority is real.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

When does Field of the Dead get banned? Four days?

I've been running apeshit over Ranked with Goloscopy and there are tweaks I want to make, but I'm pretty sure there's no point.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Zyla posted:

What if they dont touch field but merk the grazer
Deck still works. gently caress, you could merk Golos and the deck'd still work, I'd just put one or two of the Fields in my sideboard and use Fae of Wishes or something equally idiotic.

Zyla posted:

i have never seen nor played a successful self-mill jace win
You got six days, apparently. I win drat near half my games by self-mill; people got answers for the zombies but while they're dealing with that they either don't notice I'm drawing my entire deck or think it's a drawback and they've got me on the ropes because I'm about to mill out. Then on my last turn I play Jace, zap two cards off my deck, then use Circuitous Route/Krasis/a fresh Guild Summit/whatever to draw the rest of my deck and they explode.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I knew it was coming and it deserves it.

But I've had so much fun playing Goloscopy and I am very sad about not getting to just roll over decktype after decktype every time I fire up Arena. I'm going to have to try again!

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

They last the duration of sets. They are tied to the set. We don't know exactly when Theros 2 comes out, but it'll be locked to that release date.

Oh wait, edit, it says January 24th (paper, so probably like the 14th for us). So you probably have at least 10 weeks to go.

Also you're already gaining XP, so the level you're at will determine the answer.
Also worth noting that at the end of last season they put up a "grind this for infinite XP" event to let people make a run at the last few levels if they were short, and they'll almost certainly do so again.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Kawabata posted:

Just bought the new 9.99 bundle. Now I'm off to crafting some new stuff and it's still surprising to me that almost everything that's rare/mythic and played right now is from Eldraine. Did Spark not have as many good cards or are its good cards somehow not powerful enough for the current meta?
WAR was powerful but a lot slower; both Proliferate and Amass are abilities that want several turns to build up their effectiveness, and you were trying to get out your 4 or 5 cost Planeswalkers and then start pumping them up. You're not seeing much of it because a deck that waits for turn 5 to get going is dead loving meat in the face of Oko and Cavalcade.

Jarvisi posted:

I'm wondering if golos gates is still playable even without field. Hmm.
Maybe? Self-mill becomes your primary win condition, but the question is, how are you going to distract your opponent while you get there without the zombies?

Maybe if you replace the Fields with 3 more Arcway Angels and 1 more Krasis and just play "I have 200 life, try and kill me"?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

If I have any amount of Lucky Clovers in play and play an adventure, if I decline to trigger even one of the copies, the card fails to exile itself and goes to my graveyard instead. Is that correct rules behavior or should I go file a bug about it? It sure seems wrong.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

qbert posted:

Here's what's happening (I'm assuming Murderous Rider is causing this). You're declining to choose new targets, you can't decline any copies triggering. Because you declined to choose a new target, the copy of Murderous Rider kills your target, then your original card fizzles because its target is gone.
Him and Brazen Borrower, yeah, who has similar non-optional text.

That actually makes sense.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I have a Grixis Adventures deck that doesn't work reliably enough to actually bring to ranked, but when it works, goddrat it's satisfying.

Just had an opponent playing Cook the Cat concede as soon as I wished for Unmoored Ego because he knew as well as I did that next turn all his ovens were getting exiled. Yeah, you'd better run, buddy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Sneaky Wombat posted:

so, uh, I didn't know a card could steal lands. I never had that happen in magic before, only been playing 2 years but still.
Yeah, Agent of Treachery being a land-stealing shitlord was a pretty popular counterplay before Fields got banned. Worst part is that as far as I can tell, there's no way to ever bounce a land back to its owner's hand, and Trostani's "no more stealing" effect doesn't work on lands either.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

No Wave posted:

what a weird situation. They don't give a reason but everyone knows it's because he's just overpowered and theres nothing else to it.
It's because Brawl is Arena-only so they can just ban the fucker now instead of having to wait to coordinate with the paper guys on the 18th for Standard.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

Brawl is not arena only. It’s a real paper format and is in Modo as well
Oh. Then I don't have any idea why they can just shoot off a quick ban in Brawl but nothing else.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

salt shakeup posted:

Also nobody opens standard packs on MTGO so Oko is $63 online atm ($44 in paper) and peaked at $92, lol.
I'm not entirely thrilled with the wildcard system, but it is undeniably nice that Oko's price is fixed at One MR Wildcard here.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Doltos posted:

K yep this event is unbelievably rage inducing. Combine the slowest players you've ever seen with the biggest luck you've ever seen. Only 4 games in and I want to strangle every opponent.
Both players having Elk avatars is goddamn hilarious, but this is the only saving grace.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Oko was expected, but Veil and OuaT... how about that. Multiple decks I built to play once Oko was gone just got whacked too.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Bust Rodd posted:

4 Leyline of the Void = Cats don’t come back
Someone got a real easy win off me two days ago when he had Leyline of the Void in his opening hand. As soon as it dropped, I conceded.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Has this happened to anyone else before?

Got a concede, then was just locked in the room with my now-headless opponent. Slightly creepy.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I just booted this up after a long absence and saw that cards like Counterspell and Dark Ritual had been banned, and my question is... where did those come from? Can I still get them? Banned or not, I would like all those cool old cards.

Also Slivers, I saw people having Slivers. Where do I get slivers? None of the things for sale under Packs seem right.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

VictualSquid posted:

They were reprinted pre-banned in strixhaven. And you can craft them or open them in draft packs. And play them in historic brawl.
So they're in Strixhaven packs? Slivers too?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Most (all?) of the slivers come from the jumpstart historic horizons event which ends tomorrow. You'll still be able to craft them though
That's the only way to get the jumpstart, though? Bit lame.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Goddammit, jumpstart won't give me Slivers! How many things are there :(

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There are literally 46 different packets and only two of them are slivers
Fucksakes!

Also, are "perpetual" and "conjure" online-only keywords? They seem to be taking advantage of the whole "perfectly fair all-seeing computer keeping track of everything" and seem like they'd be a bit of a bear to make work at the table. It feels more like they're dipping a toe into Hearthstone's design space, where they can do poo poo like "create literally any card that exists in the game, regardless of if you own it, at random".

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A couple of days ago in the store I got an offer to buy crystals for gold. Only a few hundred, but still, that was pretty nifty. Does that recur on a set schedule or did I just get lucky?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Are thre any good Grixis options to deal with Enchantments in Historic? I'm about sick to death of watching helplessly as Shrines beat me to death; if I have to wipe my own board too to get rid of them it'd be an acceptable tradeoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

fadam posted:

Blue has some spells that bounce permanents, and black has some unexciting enchantment removal. You're probably better off just countering the important shrines before they cast them or just winning through them. What's your deck look like?
Please note that this deck's theme, apart from Grixis Control, is "I built this in War of the Spark and then fell out of the habit of playing shortly after Theros Reborn hit, so I'm using what I got". (And I suppose the tertiary theme is "I like Nicol Bolas".) It works well enough to get me to Diamond 4 last month, at least.

Deck
2 Liliana, Dreadhorde General (WAR) 97
2 Narset, Parter of Veils (WAR) 61
4 Nicol Bolas, the Ravager (M19) 218
4 Nicol Bolas, Dragon-God (WAR) 207
1 Ugin, the Ineffable (WAR) 2
2 Angrath's Rampage (WAR) 185
2 Cry of the Carnarium (RNA) 70
2 Enter the God-Eternals (WAR) 196
2 Ritual of Soot (GRN) 84
4 Thought Erasure (GRN) 206
2 Bedeck // Bedazzle (RNA) 221